Convert Column Letters to Number

Hi!

I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up t
10 characters) to it's equivalent in number.

e.g.

Input=A
Output=1

Input=AAA
Output=703

Input=EXCEL
Output=2,708,874

Any suggestions?

Regards

Here's a VBA function that gives the results you want:

  Option Explicit

  Function ColumnToNumber(sText As String) As Variant
    Dim Bytes() As Byte
    Dim Letter As Long
    Dim Multiplier As Double
    Dim N As Double
    Dim Total As Double

    ColumnToNumber = CVErr(xlErrValue)
    If Len(sText) = 0 Then Exit Function

    Bytes() = UCase$(sText)
    Total = 0
    Multiplier = 1

    'least significant letter is at the top of the array
    For Letter = UBound(Bytes()) - 1 To 0 Step -2

      N = Bytes(Letter) - 64 'A = 65: translate to 1
      If N < 1 Or N > 26 Then Exit Function

      Total = Total + N * Multiplier
      Multiplier = Multiplier * 26

    Next Letter

    ColumnToNumber = Total

  End Function

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:34:23 -0500, Polos
<<Polos.1clbj9@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up to
>10 characters) to it's equivalent in number.
>
>e.g.
>
>Input=A
>Output=1
>
>Input=AAA
>Output=703
>
>Input=EXCEL
>Output=2,708,874
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>

>---

anonymous (74717)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

Delete some column headings from an autofiltered range.
I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the overall list range. Can this be done? "Champ" wrote: > I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I > wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the > list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the > overall list range. Can this be done? .....

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

column to row
hi I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k rows and want to list it on one line. thanks. t wrote: >I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this >data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and >transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k >rows and want to list it on one line. How do you expe...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Longest Entry in Columns
Hi. What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most characters / numbers, etc.) in a column? Thanks. Hi! This array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry is in a range of cells: =MAX(LEN(A1:A100)) If you want to identify that entry, you could use conditional formatting: Select the range A1:A100 Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100)) Click the Format button and select a background fill color OK out Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi. What is the best / quickest...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column
Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I'd like to enter a function into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous week appears each Sunday. For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum of C2:C6 (note this is a short week). Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum of C7:C20. On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days multiple tasks are performed. The only cells in column D that should display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing. Thanks very much for your help!! Gregg. ...

max number of fields on a form (new question)
I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360 individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form. Any suggestions? The limit of 255 is not the form. Forms have a lifetime limit of 754 controls. That means that if you delete a control the...

Inventory list columns
There needs to be more columns avaialble in the inventory and other lists. It would also be nice to be able to print from the inventory lists. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en...

Numbers converting to decimal

format of number keeps changing
I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers, the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both columns is the same. Any ideas????? Is the number more like 1234567890123456 and it becomes 1234567890123450 ?? If so, you're ...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Controlling hyphenated words in columns.
Is there a way to set up linked columns so that words don't hyphenate? I have tried spacing, reducing font by a half point and adjusting the size of the column but it seems like a lot of work to set it up, then when printing sometimes the layout changes again. Tools, language, hyphenation. Or if you want the hyphenation turned off for this and all future publications, tools, options, edit tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "misskitty" <misskitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Styles and Set Numbering Value problem
Running MS Office Pro 2007 with Windows XP Pro. I have styles defined for numbered lists. These styles have simple characteristics, like indent, space before, etc. - nothing special. I want the numbered lists to appear throughout the document, with each starting at the number 1. When I try to start a new list using the Set Numbering Value dialog, I get a message saying "Changing the number format for this list updates the style "NumList" and reapplies the style to each paragraph. Do you want to continue?" If I select no, the starting number is not chan...

how do i move columns on one sheet to columns on another sheet
I have sheet one which is column "A" student's name columns "B thru K" are a point system in each column (by 3 points either a score of 1, 2 or 3). Column "L" is the total points summed across "B" thru "K". (a total of no more than 30). Sheet 2 is 5 columns with each column being worth 6 points. Column "A" is 25 thru 30 points, column "B" is 19 thru 24 points, column "C" is 13 thru 18 points, column "D" is 7 thru 12 points and column "E" is 0 thru 6 ponts. I need column ...

Splitting columns
Hi, I am stuck for an answer here, so any help is appreciated. What I'm trying to do is take two columns, sort them and then break those two columns into four columns to fill the whole page while still maintaining alphabetical order. Thanks See if this link helps: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "BBB" <bblatz@bigeagle.ca> wrote in message news:1155221940.396073....