Convert a formula into text

I downloaded a text file from a client data software. Now
when I opened the txt file in excel it converted one
column into formulas when it should have been txt. For
example in the txt file reads "-AD", now in excel reads "=-
AD". It's giving me a display "#NAME?". What I really need
is just to get rid of the "=" sign. I tried diferent ways.
I used txt functions like text, trim, left, right, etc. I
also tried copy and paste as value. Is there any other way
to do this process smoother and faster? what do you
suggest I need to do? This file as 2,000 plus rows. Right
now I changed the cells format to text but it doesn't
change it automatically. I have to edit and hit enter for
the data in cell to pick the txt format, create a new
column then use the left or right txt function. Please
advise,

Thanks, Alexandra

0
anonymous (74718)

Select range, then Edit / Replace /   'replace what'   is =,   'replace with'
just leave blank - Hit OK.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Alexandra" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded a text file from a client data software. Now
> when I opened the txt file in excel it converted one
> column into formulas when it should have been txt. For
> example in the txt file reads "-AD", now in excel reads "=-
> AD". It's giving me a display "#NAME?". What I really need
> is just to get rid of the "=" sign. I tried diferent ways.
> I used txt functions like text, trim, left, right, etc. I
> also tried copy and paste as value. Is there any other way
> to do this process smoother and faster? what do you
> suggest I need to do? This file as 2,000 plus rows. Right
> now I changed the cells format to text but it doesn't
> change it automatically. I have to edit and hit enter for
> the data in cell to pick the txt format, create a new
> column then use the left or right txt function. Please
> advise,
>
> Thanks, Alexandra

---

ken.wright (2489)
3/3/2004 9:14:58 PM
Select the column with the formulas.  Select Edit from the menubar, then replace.  Replace "=" with "-" or nothing

Hope that helps.
0
anonymous (74718)
3/3/2004 9:21:05 PM
Thank you BorderMan, I didn't think of that :

Alexandra
0
anonymous (74718)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Formulas #6
I have a problem right here. When I want to create an individual list (Sheet2) from the master data list (sheet1), the link does not follow in accordance to the master list after I copy & paste in Sheet2. If the individual list's range(Sheet2) is (A4:M49), (A50:M95), (A96:M141)...almost 100 of if, and the linkage is as below: Sheet1 Link to Sheet2 (Master) (Individual) A4 - F5 B4 - D8 C4 - E8 A5 - M5 B5 ...

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

transferring formulas
I have a cell with formula in a worksheet and have a macro that copie the data in that cell to an array then that array gets copied to a ne workbook. There are about 110 other columns that copied this same way Is there a way to copy just the formula to an array then copy tha array to the new worksheet. Then the forumal can recalculate in th new worksheet. Thanks, Crai -- cparson ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cparsons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1286 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sho...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Filename in formula bar
How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar? Example: ='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1 A | B 1 | 2 | filename1 3 | 4 | ="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1 will not work -- yee ve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/s...

Numbers converting to decimal

formula #63
i have a list of postcodes that i need to be able to pre select the zone ie 1-10 example AB = 1 PE = 3 martin Wrote: > i have a list of postcodes that i need to be able to pre select the zone > ie > 1-10 > example > AB = 1 > PE = 3 Hi Martin You probably need a lookup table Need a bit more info to give a better response Post some example data -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelfo...

Copying Formulas In Pivot Table
Working in a pivot table where I have formulas pulling from other fields within the pivot table, can I copy the formula to range of cells without having to enter the formula in each cell? I keep getting an error that I cannot copy/paste or drag the formula across the table. Thanks! ...

Formulas or not ??
Good morning guys, I woant a formula which when referring to another cell verifies whether this cell contains a numerical value or otherwise a normal numerical number Is this possible ? Thanks in dvance, Brian Hi Brian, > I woant a formula which when referring to another cell > verifies whether this cell contains a numerical value or > otherwise a normal numerical number > =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"A1 contains a number","A1 Does not contain a number") Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jkp-ads.com Hi Brian! I'm not sure whether I'm interpre...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Excel
I pasted some data from internet explorer and when i tried to applyin formulas to them it showed error #VALUE! I could no create charts too i m attaching the file. can anyone help me ou Attachment filename: moserbaer.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=64852 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Rohit! That data you pasted is text. It has unseen characters embeded in the numbers you see. The character is one I've never seen before. It looks like this: ''' You're data may look like this: ...

Converting from AOL to Outlook