Confusing spreadsheet

I have been tasked with trying to simplify a few spreadsheets that i use.
They are to track certain tasks that run, and then certain fields with the
output created.

I don't have much time to get it in place so i have found a few quick things
that may make life easier, but wanted some help in the code needed/best way
to make these changes.

1) Is there away to get multiple spreadsheets to update one main sheet?
There will be 5 seperate sheets for the different 'types' of runs, and then
one main sheet keeping track of run numbers, which will have 5 tabs for the
different runs. Is there a code which can cross refernce the type of run and
the tab name which should corrospond, and then fill in certain fields?

2) The five seperate sheets will have numerous tabs aswell so can this be
linked into the main sheet to fill in job numbers, as new tabs get created as
the runs happen, therefore there is no definate about the amount of runs
needed.

hi Dan,

Sorry, this is not a direct answer to your question because I'm
confused by how many different "workbooks" you have and how many
"worksheets" are in each "workbook".

Here is a link to a pdf with some spreadsheet design principles that
have influenced my spreadsheet development:
http://www.eusprig.org/smbp.pdf
from 'Recommended Spreadsheet (Excel) web sites, tools, groups, best
practice, financial modelling, modeling'
(http://www.sysmod.com/sslinks.htm)

With my limited understanding of your layout, I would suggest
consolidating all the information onto a single worksheet and adding any
necessary extra columns to differentiate between the types of runs. The
advantages of a single "(flat) database style" worksheet are that you
can use a lot of Excel's inbuilt functionality, eg. autofiltering,
advanced filtering, sorting, outlines/sub-totals, pivot tables and "all
your data is in one place". When all your data is in one place you can
create flexible "Reporting/Output" worksheets which summarise the info
on the Input worksheet for printing.

hth
Rob

--
broro183

Rob Brockett. Always learning & the best way to learn is to
experience...
broro183's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=333
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=204101

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
broro183

emailing spreadsheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Every time I email a spreadsheet as an attachment the recipient cannot open it. I have tried copy and pasting it onto a word doc but apparrently it still doesn't open. What am I doin wrong It's hard to be sure because you don't indicate what *does* happen when the recipient tries to open it, whether these are Mac or Windows users, nor do you disclose any details pertaining to the email specs you or the recipients are using. You may be doing nothing wrong at all. It could be a problem with your ...

i am so confused
As of day before yesterday, i was recieving and sending mail like i should, but now it says my username and/or password are inncorrect, and they are stored in the com, and my phone. i retyped them, and it says the same thing??? i just tried again, and it said the following: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'hi', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com (1)', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Pleas help.... anyone!!!!! i am lost without my e-mail!! Your settings look ...

Data hidden/lost in Excel 2003 spreadsheet?
I have an odd situation I was hoping some of you excel experts might be able to help me with. I was sent a spreadsheet (task schedule list) that was about 25kb (only 40 rows by 8 columns). After I did some editing (adding 2 new columns and adding some information to them) and saved the file, I noticed the file size has ballooned up to 2MB! I went hunting through the file to see if had accidentally pasted a something huge from my clipboard but could find nothing. I know it is the column I added as when I delete the entire column and save the file it goes back to the original 25kb. But w...

CListCtrl confusion
I am confused about the meaning of selected (LVIS_SELECTED) and focused (LVIS_FOCUSED). What is the difference? The above can be set/read with Set/GetItemState(). The there is also GetSelectionMark() and its set. When you get the selection mark, is this the one that is selected? Or does it mean something else? What I am able to do is click on a row and then execute my method, doit(). Now I want to simply use the up and down arrow keys to move the selection and focus up and down the list, each time calling doit() for the new row. The problem I am running into is that I get recursive calls to...

Trying to format the spreadsheet to fit on one page from a query
We have an Access Database with Employee Info. Example: First Name, Last Name, Cell, Extention, Email, Title We have some old timers that want their report a certain way. We have 6 different sheets in a workbook that are sorted by the above (by First, by Last, etc..). They do not want Access reports. They want one workbook, with 6 different sheets, posted on the Intanet. So I created a Workbook that way and used "Import from an access database". Each sheet has it's own saved Query. The data comes across perfect. However, there is 90 people on the list. So it goes from row A1...

Mortgage Calculation Spreadsheet
Does anyone know where I might find an example sheet for excel ? I need to input Principal amount and interest rate and see Principal decay over time for repayment mortgages. ...

(more!) elementFormDefault confusion
Hi all, From what I can read, it doesn't look like I'm the only one getting confused with the elementFormDefault and attributeFormDefault properties of XML schemas. I am wanting to get a full understanding of these properties, as I want to be able to generate XML that conforms to these settings via the XmlTextWriter. The two main reference articles I can find are: http://geekswithblogs.net/dmillard/archive/2004/10/20/12935.aspx http://blogs.msdn.com/ebattalio/archive/2006/03/03/543154.aspx However, I have a couple of questions regarding this: 1. In Minty Fresh's example, w...

Confused on syntax
Hello, I confused over the following syntax. Could someone please explain to me exactly what is happening here. ((CEditView*)m_viewList.GetHead())->SetWindowText(NULL); I understand the casted type to the m_viewList.GetHead( ) function, but the ->SetWindowText call on the end is what I've never seen done like this? Is somehow the return pointer from GetHead pointing to the SetWindowText function ? But why would this be? Could not SetWindowText just be called on it's own ? On 3 jul, 13:01, "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote: > Hello, I confused over the following...

Migrate a Excel Spreadsheet
Hello, Is there any way to migrate an Excel spreadsheet to a standalone product? In other words, is there a way to operate a excel spreadsheet without the Excel program. If so what would be the basic steps, ie purchase from a third party, c++ programming? I appreciate any help with this matter. Thanks. Cap, Not that I've ever heard of. You can do it yourself in VB, but it's a lot of work. HTH, Bernie Excel MVP "Capinvest" <capinves1025@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:118d01c361b9$18ce4080$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there any way to ...

Still confused on whether this will work
Hi, I hope you can help with my question, and thanks in advance! In my use of MSMoney Plus Premium, I do bill payer through a bank directly (Wachovia) and download transactions directly using my web site passwords directly to those sites (T Rowe Price, Wachovia, Am Express for example). I am thinking this will still work after Feb 2011 (and my license goes that long), that I will still be able to get transactions automatically downloaded daily like I do now, and I can use the bank for billpayer through MSMoney? So the only thing I will lose is the stock price updates as they come fr...

Importing data from a web server into an Excel spreadsheet
How can I go about importing data that is collected via a FrontPage response form into an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I have already has defined columns for specific information...I need to learn how to import that info from the server into the spreadsheet. Many thanks! ...

How do I compact my spreadsheet
I am using Excel 2000. When I hit the keyboard shortcut CTRL+END the cursor is moved to the last cell on the worksheet. I have accidentally type a key on a cell that is near the bottom of the worksheet, and too far right in the worksheet. How do I completely delete this cell so that when I use CTRL+END my cursor doesn't go all the way down and left to that cell? TIA Robert Robert, take a look at David McRitchie's solution here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" www.ddmcomputing.com "Robert Nichol...

How to explicitly set the regional code of an individual spreadsheet
Hi, is there a way to explicitly set the regional code for an excel spreadsheet individually? Thanks. No, you can't set it individually for each sheet. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Scott Steiner" <big_poppa_pump3000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4381C328.B1DC9B0E@yahoo.com... > Hi, > > is there a way to explicitly set the regional code for an excel > spreadsheet individually? > > Thanks. ...

Selecting date specific data from different spreadsheets
I have several worksheets for different places which each have budget information regarding how much ‘Amount’ and when a payment is due ‘Date’. I am trying to create a ‘totals’ spreadsheet which will collect the relevant information from each spreadsheet so I can total the amount due for each month due and if values change in the separate spreadsheets with therefore update the ‘totals’ spreadsheet. VLOOKUP has been suggested but the months vary in each spreadsheet and therefore their cell locations vary. I need the formula to look for the specified month e.g. 01-Dec-05, then collect ...

Confused
I am using a shared computer at work. I have access help to resolve a simple problem and the answer is there. The big problem is that options it describes are not there for example how to set-up a signature some option names are not there and options it says should be available are different. Can someone help ?????? With the amount of missing information that you posted, probably not until the crystal ball has a nice vacation to rest up from overuse here. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus na...

how do i watermark an excel spreadsheet?
office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to appear centre page, almost full size of page. I believe watermarks are put on through your printer properties / effects -- grizz "rsl" wrote: > office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to > appear centre page, almost full size of page. Hi rsl, Run this in the sheet module and see what has to be tweeked to suit your needs. Can change the number of sheets as needed as well as the watermark wording and font size. Change the "For Page = 1 To 1 ...

confused???
I can't seem to figure out my windows email system. it asks for sever numbers and such??? if any one knows how to do it then let me know. Tisha S. wrote: > I can't seem to figure out my windows email system. it asks for sever > numbers and such??? if any one knows how to do it then let me know. ======================================= Maybe the following article will get you started: Windows Vista - Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://tinyurl.com/yzf3t42 or..... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-sett...

Worksheet Name in Spreadsheet
I realize that I can put the worksheet name in a header or footer. However, what I would like to do is have a function that grabs the tab name and places it in a cell in my spreadsheet. That I way I can refer to that value in a lookup table. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you very much. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Taken from MVP Debra...

copy only a portion of a spreadsheet
This may duplicate... How do you copy only a portion of a spreadsheet to another location ? ...

Confusing Email Problem
Sorry to bother you guys I have an email problem that is bugging me. I can recieve emails ok but when I send them, no one gets them. It appears to send and they even appear in the sent items folder but no one gets them. If I add large attachment the email will send in seconds. Something odd is going on. I use mail.onetel.net.uk. Port 25. When I called their call centre in India they said my account was active and they sent a test mail using their web based email system. They say it must be an outlook express problem. Yet I sent myself a test email using Telnet and still didn't ge...

Break Link to spreadsheet
I have an excel template that refreshes when the data file is overwritten but need to stop refreshing once saved under another name for archive purpose. How do you break the link with the data file once the work is over, so my archived May report does not refresh once I update the data file with June data...? Tks. Hi try copying the data and inserting it with 'Edit - Paste Special - Values' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "rwav1" <rwav1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FE488848-110F-4095-8F22-E87643E6DEE3@microsoft.com... > I ...

export data between spreadsheets
Hello, how do I setup an excel file that each time when I enter data in one spreadsheet it will export to another excel file in the same column of subsequent rows? Example: if each time data enter in one spreadsheet column A of row 1 it will export this data to another spreadsheet column B of row 1,2,3... and so on. Thanks. Scott Hi scott See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm See the last example on the page -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "scott" <scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08B9...

OWA confusion.....
I am trying to figure out how to make OWA work behind my firewall.. I have referenced KB259240 (How to configure OWA to connect to exchange through a firewall) and therein lies my confusion.... It says to open 3 ports. 2 of them have to be statically configured in the registry. the first one located (added) at : HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDS\parameters But that location does not exist on my system( Server 2003 / Exchange 2003 - SP1 I do have HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDSAccess but the only keys under that are Diagnostics and performance. NOT P...

confused
I am totally confused. I have written a few win api C apps that actually compiled without errors and ran successfully. Now I'm trying to learn MFC. I having a bit of a problem getting a call to GetParent to work. Below is the offending function and compilation errors BOOL CMfcPipesApp::InitInstance() { // Standard initialization // If you are not using these features and wish to reduce the size // of your final executable, you should remove from the following // the specific initialization routines you do not need. CMfcPipesApp *pModelessDlg = new CMfcPipesApp(); CWnd *ParentWnd; ...

Background color on Excel Spreadsheet
Somehow one of my spreadsheets suddenly has a grey background without grids. I wish to have the classic white with grids. What should I do? Thanks. -- Dick Hi Dick, Select all cells Ctrl+A (in Excel 2003 use two Ctrl+A and pray that you get what you ask) or use the gray square at the intersection of the Rows & Columns which is NOT the same. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm#foobar Then use the fill color button choosing "No Fill Color" or Format, Cells, Pattern, "No Color" at top of the color palette If that does not work poss...