Conditional formatting of an entire row based on a cell text entry

Hi everyone, I would like to use conditional formatting on a table that is 8
columns wide and 50 rows high.

What I would like to do is colour all rows that have an X in column D or E.

This is what I tried The formula is =A1="x"
This colours only the cells where there is an X. What I would like is the
entire row or rows to be coloured.

Thanks for your efforts

Gilles

Try setting to The formula is =OR($D1="X",$E1="X")
The mixed reference will allow you to copy this to your entire table,
keeping the references fixed to column D or E of the current row.

"Gilles Desjardins" wrote:

> Hi everyone, I would like to use conditional formatting on a table that is 8
> columns wide and 50 rows high.
>
> What I would like to do is colour all rows that have an X in column D or E.
>
> This is what I tried The formula is =A1="x"
> This colours only the cells where there is an X. What I would like is the
> entire row or rows to be coloured.
>
> Thanks for your efforts
>
> Gilles

Thank You, worked like expected.

Gilles
"bpeltzer" <bpeltzer.deletethissuffix@cox.net> wrote in message
> Try setting to The formula is =OR($D1="X",$E1="X")
> The mixed reference will allow you to copy this to your entire table,
> keeping the references fixed to column D or E of the current row.
>
> "Gilles Desjardins" wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, I would like to use conditional formatting on a table that
>> is 8
>> columns wide and 50 rows high.
>>
>> What I would like to do is colour all rows that have an X in column D or
>> E.
>>
>> This is what I tried The formula is =A1="x"
>> This colours only the cells where there is an X. What I would like is the
>> entire row or rows to be coloured.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts
>>
>> Gilles

how do i delete connected text boxes?
i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue section Unlink the text boxes, the text will stay in text box one. You will have to delete the text by elongating the first text box. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "drjones168" <drjones168@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2949781C-9685-4614-B7C3-2418E76C02D0@microsoft.com... > i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the > vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue secti...

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

Format cells #7

missing text
For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and reports? On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:02:01 -0800, access novice <access novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text >disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and >the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and >reports? ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

More than 65 thousand rows
I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limi of excel, is there any way of displaying the rest of the data? Rober ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com robert, 65536 rows is the maximum limit for an Excel worksheet. You can split your data into different sheets or use a database like Access. John robert_woodie wrote: > I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limit > of excel, is there any way of dis...

Conditional Field in Queries

compare two files and merge rows base on a matching word within these two rows
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhWkR6bS05Qnluenc&hl=en Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from CO...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Delete every row if the cells in first 12 columns are empty
Hi, I found some VBA code in this group which I have modified below. I have not been able to get this to work in Excel 2003. Option Explicit Sub DelEmptyRow() Dim ws As Worksheet, rw As Range, c1 As Range Set ws = ActiveSheet ' Cycle through first 2000 rows For Each rw In ws.Range("1:2000").Rows ' first cell in the row Set c1 = rw.Cells(1) ' test if first cell is empty, ' and so do the rest of cells in the row If c1.Formula = "" And c1.End(xlToRight).Column = 12 Then rw.Delete E...

Empty Rows and Columns
Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically empty rows and columns? Try ASAP Utilities, a free Excel Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "fak119" wrote: > Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically > empty rows and columns? ...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Display ALL text contents in cell
I am having trouble displaying all the contents in the cell. It is som lengthy information in the cell. I have made the row height as high a it will go, but it still won't display all the information. I canno make the column width any wider than I have it set, because then th other columns will not fit on the page. Does anyone know how t overcome this problem? : -- Flipper106 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flipper1067's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/...