Conditional formatting causing auto complete to deactivate?

I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that has Conditional formatting.
Auto Complete is turned on.
Is Auto Complete somehow automatically deactivated in cells that have
Conditional Formatting?

Auto Complete works as expected in the other sheets in the same workbook
that have no Conditional Formatting.

Thanks,
Bobby

I have not found a problem with autocomplete when cells have CF in 2007.

Are you sure you have at least one cell above with the same string?

Note:  numbers do not autocomplete.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:27:01 -0800, bobby769
<bobby769@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that has Conditional formatting.
>Auto Complete is turned on.
>Is Auto Complete somehow automatically deactivated in cells that have
>Conditional Formatting?
>
>Auto Complete works as expected in the other sheets in the same workbook
>that have no Conditional Formatting.
>
>Thanks,
>Bobby

0
Gord
1/26/2010 12:32:35 AM
Yes, at least one cell has the same string.
Granted some of the strings are way up their on the sheet.
The sheet has over 20,000 rows and some of the strings haven't been used
since row 10 or 11.

Does autocomplete look back only a certain # of rows?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> I have not found a problem with autocomplete when cells have CF in 2007.
>
> Are you sure you have at least one cell above with the same string?
>
> Note:  numbers do not autocomplete.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:27:01 -0800, bobby769
> <bobby769@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that has Conditional formatting.
> >Auto Complete is turned on.
> >Is Auto Complete somehow automatically deactivated in cells that have
> >Conditional Formatting?
> >
> >Auto Complete works as expected in the other sheets in the same workbook
> >that have no Conditional Formatting.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bobby
>
> .

I would say after a couple hundred cells Excel loses track.

That's by my own experiment.  YMMD

Gord

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:31:02 -0800, bobby769
<bobby769@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, at least one cell has the same string.
>Granted some of the strings are way up their on the sheet.
>The sheet has over 20,000 rows and some of the strings haven't been used
>since row 10 or 11.
>
>Does autocomplete look back only a certain # of rows?
>

>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> I have not found a problem with autocomplete when cells have CF in 2007.
>>
>> Are you sure you have at least one cell above with the same string?
>>
>> Note:  numbers do not autocomplete.
>>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:27:01 -0800, bobby769
>> <bobby769@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that has Conditional formatting.
>> >Auto Complete is turned on.
>> >Is Auto Complete somehow automatically deactivated in cells that have
>> >Conditional Formatting?
>> >
>> >Auto Complete works as expected in the other sheets in the same workbook
>> >that have no Conditional Formatting.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Bobby
>>
>> .

0
Gord

If statements with times
Hello, I have a form with a start and a finish time (2 text boxs), and another text box call WAITING_TIME that calculates the difference. I'm trying to execute some code if that waiting time is less than one minute. I've tried to use this code in the After Update event of the finish time: If DateDiff("n", Me.START_TIME, Me.FINISH_TIME) <= #12:01:00 AM# Then Do While Len(Me.OBSERVATIONS.Value) = 0 MsgBox "The processing time is unusually short. Please enter notes exaplining the reason ", , "Short Process Time" Me.OBSERVATIONS.SetFocus Loop End If ...

Error during exporting a report in PDF format (SSRS 2008)
When running an SSRS report, and exporting to PDF, you receive the error: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. When checking the error log you will find: library!ReportServer_0-5!1e34!02/19/2010-14:41:21:: e ERROR: Thr...

Formating description text in email class
I have created an email activity workflow assembly and I am having trouble getting new line characters to work within the body of the email. For example: email em = new email(); em.description = "This should be the first line.\nThis should be the second line."; Using the code above, I would expect the the body of the email to be: This should be the first line. This should be the second line. Instead, the text runs together with just a space like this: This should be the first line. This should be the second line. I have tried other escape characters, but I have not found a co...

Format date dd.mm.yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy
Hi, For exporting purposes to a database, I have to have the dates formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Easy you say. Yes, I have formatted the column to be a date and selected dd/mm/yyyy as the format. Great Only, it changes the date in any written form EXCEPT where dots are used. Is there a way I can format by validation or some such thing to error or replace "." with "/" (i.e dots with slashes.) Cheers Hi sounds like your date values are actually stored as 'Text'- you may try using 'Data - Text to columns' to convert them to real dates -- Regards Frank K...

Date format #26
Our financial system uses the date format DD/MM/YYYY. We can ODBC link to tables in the financial system databases and run queries in MSAccess 2000. We can export data from the tables to MSEXCEL2000 and maintain above date format. If we export the same data from other applications (ie a report writer) to MSExcel 2000, then the date changes to right justified MM/DD/YYYY where DD<=12 and remain unchanged and left justified where DD>12. It is the actual value of the date that changes. Example: 1/7/2004 becomes 7/1/2004 (value changed from 38169 to 37993) 13/7/2004 remains unchanged....

HELP: How to create an OR condition in Outlook email rules
I am trying to create an email rule with more then one condition with "OR" relationship between the conditions but all I can get is an "AND". I used Outlook Express and that was no problem there. I'm looking for the same thing. OR statements are key to creating effective rules. I don't quite understand why it wasn't included... morlock93 "Joseph Fern" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:080e01c39cab$61e368e0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to create an email rule with more then one > condition with "...

Conditional Formatting #28
Hi everybody I use Excel 2002 sp2 Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for confitional formatting ? the dialog box only features 3. many thanks and best regards Jean Luc J.E. McGimpsey shows a way to get up to 6 different formats using conditional formatting and a custom number format. You can't add more conditions, but you may be able to use a worksheet event that formats the cell the way you want. Jean Luc wrote: > > Hi everybody > > I use Excel 2002 sp2 > Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for > confitional formatting ? the dialog box ...

How do you get a conditional output to show in color
I need to have dates that have past show in red on my spread sheet. Can I do that with an IF statement? Have a look at Conditional Formatting in Help, its all there and it will do that with no problems, Regards, Alan. "Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A70AC164-DCD3-4439-A07C-AD54BB64A740@microsoft.com... >I need to have dates that have past show in red on my spread sheet. Can I >do > that with an IF statement? ...

conditional formatting #14
Hello, i have a question on conditional formatting. I am using Excel 2003. if i try to use a condition that references another worksheet, it gives an error. "you may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for conditional formatting criteria" why do they do that? is the only thing i can do is create a bunch of hidden cells to my other worksheet ("=<other sheet>!<other cell>") then reference thoes hidden cells on my condition? if i can do this, why can't i just go straight to the other sheet? thanks Hi you can define a name for the other cells...

How do I set Outlook to auto check for mail?
I am trying to set up MS Outlook to automatically check for new e-mail messages. Can this be done in Outlook? Please provide more information. What is your current setup? Are you using an Exchange server and what version of Outlook are you running. Regards Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group "Attila" wrote: > I am trying to set up MS Outlook to automatically check for new e-mail > messages. Can this be done in Outlook? Tools/Options/Mail Delivery. 'Check for new messages...' On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:11:02 -0700, Attila <Attila@discuss...

Updating Link Causes Freeze
Opening publisher file with small linked charts to excel causes excel to unexpectedly shut down, then freezes the publisher file. Sometimes, it might begin the update and then freeze. I have Office XP and Office publisher 2003 - all up to date. It used to work just fine, and I can't understand why it would suddenly stop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Office and Publisher - it may work once after that, but with no consistency. Can anyone help? This is a necessary routine I do for work, and need it to work as it's supposed to. Thanks, Linda Hi Linda (linda.mcnaught@...

How do you enable Auto-Reply to send a reply more than once?
We have a requirement for a "Delivery to Outlook Client" confirmation be delivered to the originator each time they request it using a keyword in the subject line. The reply is generated as a Client-side rule using a template to reply. The default settings on the Exchange Server (2003) will only permit this to be sent to an originator once, so the rule works the first time, but not again until the client is restarted. Is there a way to get the Exchange server to send out the confirmation everytime, i.e., not have the server remember who has received a reply in the past? This &quo...

IIF and formatting
I hope someone can help! I am running MS Access 2003. I have two Expressions built in a query that look like this: Expr5: IIf([ConstructionCost]>0,[ConstructionCost],"TBD") Expr2: Format([ConstructionCost],"$#,##0;-$#,##0") I want to combine the two so that the output is either: $500,000 (not 500000) or TBD. I can't figure out how to wrap the Format around the IIF. First thing to consider is what kind of data you want in this field. If you just want text (no need to perform any mathematical operations such as summing), use: IIf([ConstructionCost] >...

re:Formatting Cells to display...
I could not open the link either... ...

How do I convert .qpw files to excel format?
I have all my income tax files in .qpw format but no longer have that program to open them (computer change). I now have Excel and was wondering how I convert those .qpw files into Excel format? Thanks Try downloading and installing the WordPerfect 12 demo from www.corel.com. This includes Quattro Pro 12. A fully-functional 30-day trial is here: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Downloads/Trials I have Quattro Pro 11 and notice it will "Save as..." in "Excel 97" format. I just saved a Quattro Pro spreadsheet in that format and opened it in Exce...

Exmerge outlook 2003 format pst problem
The main Question is Outlook 2000 's format pst and outlook format 2003 's pst I exmerge outlook 2000 format pst is ok That means that exmerge to exhcnage is ok no permission problem ,but i exmerge 2003 format pst is failure It seems not relate to permission problem Best Regards On 17 Jan 2007 19:06:36 -0800, "snakesboy" <snakesboys@gmail.com> wrote: >The main Question is Outlook 2000 's format pst and outlook format >2003 's pst > >I exmerge outlook 2000 format pst is ok That means that exmerge to >exhcnage is > >ok no permission...

Formatting #4
I am creating a business newsletter that I will be sending out to the contacts on my distribution list. I created the newsletter in Microsoft Word and copy/pasted (using "select all") into the body of the Microsoft Outlook 2003 email. I am having trouble getting the newsletter to show up in the correct format in the emails of the recipients. I've tried using HTML format when sending the newsletter and it showed "doubled spaced" in some parts of the body for some recipients. So I tried using Rich Text format when sending the newsletter--the text showed up in t...

Auto invoice number
I am self employed and every week I fill out invoices, and sometimes get comfused what invoice number I need to use. what I would like to do is every time I open my work sheet is to have a auto invoice number for every time how do I do it, please be has clear and easy as possible because I am not very good with excel Cheers Dave Hi Dave, Look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "dave" <dave.elenor@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:JR7oh.42739$KT2.14623@newsfe2-win.ntli.net... |...

How do I format an excel document to transfer to mail merge?
Chris For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:39:05 -0800, Chrisv <Chrisv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Tracking Auto Expenses
I'm an accountant and want to create a database to track rental, repair, tax and fuel expenses for our leased vehicles. I want to enter an expense item in Access and have the database fill in the Branch and GL Expense account. But, I can't think of a way to do this because an auto can be transferred to a different branch. How can I set up a database that will look at the date of the expense and look to see where that vehicle was located at that time to determine what GL expense account to use? I have limited exposure to Access and just don't know where to start ...

Formatting Data point in Bar Chart
Hi, I'm a research scientist and excel spreadsheets are part of our livelihood. I could not find a way to change the format of a data point on my bargraph with crosshatching, which patterns were available on the older versions. There are a preset of texture options, but little fishies and tweed are not a simple and professional way to respresent my data. Any suggestions? The patterns are still part of Excel, but for whatever reason Microsoft forgot to add the user interface controls to use them. However, Andy Pope has written a nice little add-in that reinstates this capabili...

Junk Sender auto delete
I just installed Outlook2003 on my new system and cannot figure out a setting I had before. On my previous system when I right-clicked a message and clicked Junk Email/Add Sender to Junk Senders List it would immediately delete (or maybe just move to junk folder) the message. Now it just adds the sender to the list but I have to manually delete it. Can't seem to find the setting. Did I have some kind of rule setup?? Thanx, Jerry ...

Was This Vulnerability Ever Completely Patched
Full Disclosure of area of Windows Security Concern Note: Due Diligence was done to try and have this completely patched by Microsoft if it has not been done and appears to affect both Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows 2000 Professional which is still in support phase until July 13, 2010. http://secunia.com/advisories/13645/ Secunia Advisory SA13645 Microsoft Windows Multiple Vulnerabilities Secunia Advisory SA13645 Get alerted and manage the vulnerability life cycle Free Trial Release Date 2004-12-25 Last Update 2005-11-21 Popularity 50,286 views Comme...

EXCEL 2003
I have a table and in one column the user needs to add a number between 1-7 (inclusive) to show the status. Ideally I would then like the whole row to be coloured, depending on the number inserted (eg. 1=Blue, 2=red, etc) With the conditional formatting option within Excel I can only do 3 options. How do I overcome this? This can, easily, be accomplished in Excel 2007 OR with a Macro. Use Select Case segment in order to check the value [1-7] and accordingly color the row. Micky "Peterepeat" wrote: > I have a table and in one column the user needs to ad...

Losing format after any movement on the folder
Hello, i've written a macro just to open a folder and to apply an specific view. In this view some of the mails are colored. As soon as i click on the button which run the macro i change to the folder and see the correct view but as long as I scroll through the messages the format will be lost in most of the cases. The only way to see correctly this view to me ist just clicking on the normal folder pane, which is that I'm trying to avoid with a button. Here is the code: Dim MyFolder As MAPIFolder Dim Vista As view Set MyFolder= GetFolder("xxxxxxxx\NameO...