Conditional Formatting #44

How do you get text in cell A1 to appear in a bold font if a dat
appears in cell B1?
Can this be done in conditional formatting, if so, how

Hi!

The following will recognise a _value_ in B1 and make A1 bol
accordingly.

Select A1 and click Format > Conditional Formatting.
Choose Formula is (instead of Cell value is) and put in the bo
=$B$1<>""  . This says B2 is not empty.
Click Format... and choose Bold. OK. OK.

A date is just a number with a particular format. If your need is t
spot an entry (rather than a blank) in col B, the above will work.
If your need is to spot a date rather than some other kind of entry
I'd need to know what other sorts of data were in col B.

Al

If by any chance you do need to try to distinguish a date.
There is no specific test for a date, but you can check that the
number falls within a range:   i.e.   36161  and  73051
or use Date in following manner

    =AND(A1>DATE(1999,1,1),A1<DATE(2100,1,1))

---
HTH,

"AlfD >" <<AlfD.17lcr0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:AlfD.17lcr0@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Hi!
>
> The following will recognise a _value_ in B1 and make A1 bold
> accordingly.
>
> Select A1 and click Format > Conditional Formatting.
> Choose Formula is (instead of Cell value is) and put in the box
> =$B$1<>""  . This says B2 is not empty.
> Click Format... and choose Bold. OK. OK.
>
> A date is just a number with a particular format. If your need is to
> spot an entry (rather than a blank) in col B, the above will work.
> If your need is to spot a date rather than some other kind of entry,
> I'd need to know what other sorts of data were in col B.
>
> Alf
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)

Today Conditional Format

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Query condition by date range

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

conditionally restricting values in excel
Hello, I want to restrict values in a particular column based on the value in other column. For eg. if column A has value int then column B should be restricted to values 1,2,3,4,5 if column A has value bool then column B should be restricted to values true and false. if column A has value string I dont want any validation to be done and the list box should not appear. Is this possible..... How do I achieve this ? Can I use macros to do this? How? Thanks Hi as a starting point: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >I want to restrict ...

Conditional formating condition..?
Hi All I have 2 CF conditions associated with a cell (C14), one of which is: Formula is =OR($C$4="Fred SOMEBODY",C14<>"10:30:00") What happens when this is true isn't important/relevant. The value in the cell appears as 10:30 (formatted as custom/hh:mm) but the value in the 'formula window' is actually 10:30:00. This type of condition works fine when the cell contains a simple number (or text) but I can't get it to work for either times or dates. I have tried it with and without the inverted commas (around the time value) and have tried using 10:30 ...

Condition Formatting!
How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when the word "trial" or "limit" is entered? i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial". From the column of trial to the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red? a b c d e f 1 2 3 Trial 4 5 6 Here's some VBA you could paste into the codebehind page for that sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If UCase(Target.Value) = "TRIAL" Or UCase(Target.Value) = "LIMIT" T...

Formatting cells for printing
How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. You can increase the rowheight by selecting a cell in that row and then: format|row|height and making it larger. You could also add an alt-enter as the last character in that cell. (might be messy if you're working with numeric values, though) Steve S wrote: > > How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows > for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. -- Dave Peterson ...

Lose Formatting
We have a pretty intense Excel Workbook that we use on a daily bases. We are currently running MS 2007 but this Workbook is running in 97-2003 because we just changed over about 6 months ago. The issue is that in the past week the this file keeps losing it format. Can't seem to figure out why. ...

Emailing Reports in PDF format
I am using Stephen Lebans A2000SnapshotToPDFver751 to email reports as PDF files. The module works fine if the report page size is set to letter but on the reports where page size is set to legal the bottom part of the page past the letter size does not have the lines that should be printing. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this problem. Thanks, -- Bob G ...