Conditional Formating based on Odd vs. Even

Hi

If row in column A contains an even number, shade that row in Colum
B-G Yellow, If odd Shade Gray, If blank No Shade.  Can this be done i
a formula in Conditional Formatting?  If so, how?  Help appreciated.

Nathan Sargean

Sure.
Select B:G
Condition 1: Formula is  =Len($A1)=0  (no format)
Condition 2: Formula is =MOD($A1,2)=0  (yellow format)
Condition 3: FOrmula is : =MOD($A1,2)=1  (grey format)

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"natei6 >" <<natei6.1699y4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> If row in column A contains an even number, shade that row in Column
> B-G Yellow, If odd Shade Gray, If blank No Shade.  Can this be done in
> a formula in Conditional Formatting?  If so, how?  Help appreciated.
>
> Nathan Sargeant
>

> ---

rumlas (268)
5/14/2004 5:19:10 PM
1. Select columns B though G.
2. Format > Conditional Formatting
3. Formula Is:
      =MOD($A1,2)=0
4. Press the "Format" button
5. Select the "Pattern" tab and select yellow - press OK
6. Click "Add>>".
7. Formula Is:
      =MOD($A1,2)=1
8. Repeat step 4 and 5 - select Grey.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
5/14/2004 5:30:10 PM
To all the excel gods

Thanks for the help, it almost works perfectly.  The only problem is
it makes the cells yellow if column A is blank.  It should return n
format.  More suggestions appreciated.

All the best

Nathan Sargean

Change =MOD($A1,2)=0 to:

=AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"")

and =MOD($A1,2)=1 to:

=AND(MOD($A1,2)=1,$A1<>"")

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

should return no
>format.  More suggestions appreciated.
>
>All the best
>
>Nathan Sargeant
>

>---
>
>.

0
jason.morin (561)
5/14/2004 7:45:39 PM
Hello

Thats great!  I have one more question, How do I amend it to render n
format if Column J is blank.  I've tried several things, no success.

Thanks

Nathan Sargean

Jason Morin wrote:
> *Change =MOD($A1,2)=0 to:
>
> =AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"")
>
> and =MOD($A1,2)=1 to:
>
> =AND(MOD($A1,2)=1,$A1<>"")
>
> HTH
> Jason
> Atlanta, GA

Keep on adding those conditions:

=AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"",$J1<>"")

and the same for the second one.

"natei6 <" wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thats great! I have one more question, How do I amend it to render no
> format if Column J is blank. I've tried several things, no success.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nathan Sargeant
>
> Jason Morin wrote:
> > *Change =MOD($A1,2)=0 to:
> >
> > =AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"")
> >
> > and =MOD($A1,2)=1 to:
> >
> > =AND(MOD($A1,2)=1,$A1<>"")
> >
> > HTH
> > Jason
> > Atlanta, GA

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
5/15/2004 12:38:13 AM
Thank you That worked great!

Nathan Sargeant

Dave Peterson wrote:
> *Keep on adding those conditions:
>
> =AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"",$J1<>"")
>
> and the same for the second one.
>

> "natei6 <" wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Thats great! I have one more question, How do I amend it to rende
> no
> > format if Column J is blank. I've tried several things, n
> success.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nathan Sargeant
> >
> > Jason Morin wrote:[color=green]
> > > *Change =MOD($A1,2)=0 to:
> > >
> > > =AND(MOD($A1,2)=0,$A1<>"")
> > >
> > > and =MOD($A1,2)=1 to:
> > >
> > > =AND(MOD($A1,2)=1,$A1<>"")
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Jason
> > > Atlanta, GA
> > >[color=darkred]

How to change cell color based on content
Hi, hope someone can help me. I don't use Excel much, but I'm creating a spreadsheet that keeps track of ticket sales for a charity I volunteer for. Anyway, what I want to do is to make the cells stand out for those that still owe money, either because a check is forthcoming or because they ordered by credit card. I want the credit card orders to show up with a different color (eg YELLOW) than those who are fully paid. I want the forthcoming check orders to show up in a different color (eg RED). So I have a column with payment type that is either Cash, Check, or Credit Card....

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

compare two files and merge rows base on a matching word within these two rows
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhWkR6bS05Qnluenc&hl=en Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from CO...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

protect my data base window
I set my data base file to startup mode and hide the (Data Base Window), but my problem I want to protect my data base window to not view, by pressing (shift+enter ) to the specific data base file. Thanks You can block the Shift+Enter action by unchecking the "Use Access Special Keys" in the Tools - Startup dialog box. But once you do this, you won't be able to access it either. When I get ready to deploy an application, and want to do this, I generally set the KeyPreview Property of my Splash form to True, then add some code to the Forms KeyDown Event that checks for a...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

vlook on different tabs based on value
good day, i have the following so far in my macro: .... supcode = Range("B4").Value .... If supcode = "CLI" Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 4) = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-4], '[Order Generator.xlsm]CLI'!C2:C4,2,FALSE)" .... right now i have this code repeated several times for each supcode that may exist and i am usingn an if statement for each possible "supcode". i would like to replace all the if statements, and change the "CLI" to use the "supcode" value. how do i get the "supcode" value int...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

conditionally restricting values in excel
Hello, I want to restrict values in a particular column based on the value in other column. For eg. if column A has value int then column B should be restricted to values 1,2,3,4,5 if column A has value bool then column B should be restricted to values true and false. if column A has value string I dont want any validation to be done and the list box should not appear. Is this possible..... How do I achieve this ? Can I use macros to do this? How? Thanks Hi as a starting point: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >I want to restrict ...