Conditional format for unique values

Hello,

I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value.
The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same
number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences
but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help!
And thanks!!

Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So
you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"andiam24" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
> different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value.
> The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same
> number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
> IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences
> but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help!
> And thanks!!
Right, and that's ok. My problem is identifying the value and multiple
occurences of the same value.

i.e. If the following IDs were in column A, I would like to shade all of the
matching occurences the same color (e.g. QC0042- green, QC0061- blue, QC0065-
red, etc.)

	Day1	Day2	Day 3
Row	Col A	Col A	Col A
1	QC0042	QC0054	QC0055
2	QC0061	QC0054	QC0055
3	QC0061	QC0054	QC0058
4	QC0061	QC0069	QC0058
5	QC0065	QC0069	QC0058
6	QC0065	QC0072	QC0058
7	QC0065	QC0072	QC0079

The day (Day 1, Day2, etc) denotes entirely new entries - where you can omit
the other columns of values- which is why they are all labeled as Col A, and
not a spreadsheet as it appears. Notice, the position is the same for the
different days so I was trying to kinda focus on that - making the position
in relation to the preceding number the color changing element. However, I
can't work it. Any assistance you can provide would be awesome.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So
> you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "andiam24" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
> > different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value.
> > The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same
> > number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
> > IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences
> > but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help!
> > And thanks!!
Yes but in your example you have used up your 3 colours. What happens for the
next ID? You could write a macro but you will still be limited to 56 colours
as that is the max number of colours in XL...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"andiam24" wrote:

> Right, and that's ok. My problem is identifying the value and multiple
> occurences of the same value.
>
> i.e. If the following IDs were in column A, I would like to shade all of the
> matching occurences the same color (e.g. QC0042- green, QC0061- blue, QC0065-
> red, etc.)
>
> 	Day1	Day2	Day 3
> Row	Col A	Col A	Col A
> 1	QC0042	QC0054	QC0055
> 2	QC0061	QC0054	QC0055
> 3	QC0061	QC0054	QC0058
> 4	QC0061	QC0069	QC0058
> 5	QC0065	QC0069	QC0058
> 6	QC0065	QC0072	QC0058
> 7	QC0065	QC0072	QC0079
>
> The day (Day 1, Day2, etc) denotes entirely new entries - where you can omit
> the other columns of values- which is why they are all labeled as Col A, and
> not a spreadsheet as it appears. Notice, the position is the same for the
> different days so I was trying to kinda focus on that - making the position
> in relation to the preceding number the color changing element. However, I
> can't work it. Any assistance you can provide would be awesome.
>
> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
> > Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So
> > you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
> > --
> > HTH...
> >
> > Jim Thomlinson
> >

> > "andiam24" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
> > > different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value.
> > > The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same
> > > number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
> > > IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences
> > > but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help!
> > > And thanks!!
3 + the default format, so 4 in total.
--
David Biddulph

"Jim Thomlinson" <James_Thomlinson@owfg-Re-Move-This-.com> wrote in message
> Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less.
> So
> you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "andiam24" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
>> different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the
>> value.
>> The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same
>> number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
>> IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the
>> occurences
>> but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please
>> help!
>> And thanks!!

0
David
3/31/2010 8:48:05 PM
You can color band the groups:

1 QC0042 = green
2 QC0061 = default
3 QC0061 = default
4 QC0061 = default
5 QC0065 = green
6 QC0065 = green
7 QC0065 = green
8 QC0077 = default
9 QC0077 = default
etc
etc

However, the formula needed to do this is very calculation intensive so if
you have 1000's of rows of data it'll slow things to a crawl (literally).

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"andiam24" <andiam24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right, and that's ok. My problem is identifying the value and multiple
> occurences of the same value.
>
> i.e. If the following IDs were in column A, I would like to shade all of
> the
> matching occurences the same color (e.g. QC0042- green, QC0061- blue,
> QC0065-
> red, etc.)
>
> Day1 Day2 Day 3
> Row Col A Col A Col A
> 1 QC0042 QC0054 QC0055
> 2 QC0061 QC0054 QC0055
> 3 QC0061 QC0054 QC0058
> 4 QC0061 QC0069 QC0058
> 5 QC0065 QC0069 QC0058
> 6 QC0065 QC0072 QC0058
> 7 QC0065 QC0072 QC0079
>
> The day (Day 1, Day2, etc) denotes entirely new entries - where you can
> omit
> the other columns of values- which is why they are all labeled as Col A,
> and
> not a spreadsheet as it appears. Notice, the position is the same for the
> different days so I was trying to kinda focus on that - making the
> position
> in relation to the preceding number the color changing element. However, I
> can't work it. Any assistance you can provide would be awesome.
>
> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
>> Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less.
>> So
>> you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
>> --
>> HTH...
>>
>> Jim Thomlinson
>>

>> "andiam24" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a
>> > different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the
>> > value.
>> > The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the
>> > same
>> > number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula
>> > IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the
>> > occurences
>> > but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please
>> > help!
>> > And thanks!!

The way the spreadsheet is designed, the probability of more than 4 IDs being
used at any given time is slim, so the next time IDs are input, they can use
the same four colors because they will replace the previous IDs. I'm just not
sure how to word the conditional format to identify which values are
repeating and which are unique and color appropriately.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Yes but in your example you have used up your 3 colours. What happens for the
> next ID? You could write a macro but you will still be limited to 56 colours
> as that is the max number of colours in XL...
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "andiam24" wrote:
>
> > Right, and that's ok. My problem is identifying the value and multiple
> > occurences of the same value.
> >
> > i.e. If the following IDs were in column A, I would like to shade all of the
> > matching occurences the same color (e.g. QC0042- green, QC0061- blue, QC0065-
> > red, etc.)
> >
> > 	Day1	Day2	Day 3
> > Row	Col A	Col A	Col A
> > 1	QC0042	QC0054	QC0055
> > 2	QC0061	QC0054	QC0055
> > 3	QC0061	QC0054	QC0058
> > 4	QC0061	QC0069	QC0058
> > 5	QC0065	QC0069	QC0058
> > 6	QC0065	QC0072	QC0058
> > 7	QC0065	QC0072	QC0079
> >
> > The day (Day 1, Day2, etc) denotes entirely new entries - where you can omit
> > the other columns of values- which is why they are all labeled as Col A, and
> > not a spreadsheet as it appears. Notice, the position is the same for the
> > different days so I was trying to kinda focus on that - making the position
> > in relation to the preceding number the color changing element. However, I
> > can't work it. Any assistance you can provide would be awesome.
> >
> > "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
> >
> > > Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So
> > > you can end up with a max of 3 different colours...
> > > --
> > > HTH...
> > >
> > > Jim Thomlinson

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Getting value from edit control?
How do I get the value from an edit control into its value CString variable? Also, how do I convert from CString to char* ? CString has an overload for LPCTSTR (which depends on whether you are compiled for Unicode or MBCS) so you can pass it pretty easily. If you need to access the buffer directly CString::GetBuffer() returns the pointer to the buffer. Call ReleaseBuffer() when you are done using that point (if you modify it). To assign and retrieve values with the edit control you should create a variable for the control and use UpdateData(). Open the dialog and right click on ...

Query condition by date range

Format cells #7

CWebBrowser2: accessing field values
hi, I have a WebBrowser2 in my application, May I have access to the value of Form Fields in my application? I mean the value of Edit boxes, etc. thanks,e Behzad ...

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

Relative, absolute and mixed values
How do I set a default for relative, absolute or mixed values so that I don't have to toggle through the F4 function each time? ...

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

outputting values to a range from one formula
I wish to generate a table automatically by means of a single formula that applies an iteration on a starting given value with a given step, and the computed values are posted/entered automtically into cells from a given cell onwards, say below it, until the computed value reaches a certain given limt. This is somehow the inverse of INDIRECT or of OFFSET. These can pull values from a variable addresses of cells. What I need is to push values into a variable addresses of cells. Can anyone help me on that?? Thanks. :confused -- Shafe ---------------------------------------------------------...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

Macro deleting rows including some valu/ewpression
Hey guys In some of the cells in column A - Range("A2:A") - there are expressions including the frace/part: "\old\". I want to remove all rows including this frace and keep the remaining ones. The nearest I can get is something like this, but (of cause) my attempt was not very successful. (Yeah - I know I stole/borrowed it from someone else and tryed to ajust it ...forgive me) Sub Delete_OLD_rows() Dim cell As Range Dim delRange As Range For Each cell In Range("A2:B" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End (xl...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...