Conditional Format for Numbers

Is it possible in Excel to conditionally format a Number type in a cell
based on another cell?

Example

A1 is a dropdown with "Variance $" and "Variance %"

And in A2 I have an IF statement that that will give a result from two
other cells.  What I want A2 to show is either $#.## or ##% depending
on what I have in the drop down.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tyson

0
tmunee (20)

On 27 Jun 2005 12:36:59 -0700, "Tyson" <tmunee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is it possible in Excel to conditionally format a Number type in a cell
>based on another cell?
>
>Example
>
>A1 is a dropdown with "Variance $" and "Variance %"
>
>And in A2 I have an IF statement that that will give a result from two
>other cells.  What I want A2 to show is either $#.## or ##% depending
>on what I have in the drop down.
>
>Any help would be great.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tyson

In order to actually FORMAT the cell, you would have to either guarantee
non-overlapping values for $ vs %, which you could then test, or use a VBA
event-triggered macro.

To have it display the way you want, a simple formula can do that; but the
result is a text string and may not be useable by some functions, directly.

=IF(A1="Variance %", TEXT(your_formula,"0.00%"),TEXT(your_formula,"$0.00"))

If this is not satisfactory, post back and we'll derive a VBA solution.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
6/27/2005 7:51:57 PM

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2005 12:36:59 -0700, "Tyson" <tmunee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible in Excel to conditionally format a Number type in a cell
> >based on another cell?
> >
> >Example
> >
> >A1 is a dropdown with "Variance $" and "Variance %"
> >
> >And in A2 I have an IF statement that that will give a result from two
> >other cells.  What I want A2 to show is either $#.## or ##% depending
> >on what I have in the drop down.
> >
> >Any help would be great.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Tyson
>
> In order to actually FORMAT the cell, you would have to either guarantee
> non-overlapping values for $ vs %, which you could then test, or use a VBA
> event-triggered macro.
>
> To have it display the way you want, a simple formula can do that; but the
> result is a text string and may not be useable by some functions, directly.
>
> =IF(A1="Variance %", TEXT(your_formula,"0.00%"),TEXT(your_formula,"$0.00"))
>
> If this is not satisfactory, post back and we'll derive a VBA solution.
>

> --ron

Perfect!

Thanks Ron.

Tyson

0
tmunee (20)
6/27/2005 8:31:04 PM
On 27 Jun 2005 13:31:04 -0700, "Tyson" <tmunee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> =IF(A1="Variance %", TEXT(your_formula,"0.00%"),TEXT(your_formula,"$0.00"))
>>
>> If this is not satisfactory, post back and we'll derive a VBA solution.
>>

>> --ron
>

>Perfect!
>
>Thanks Ron.
>
>Tyson

You're welcome.  Glad to help.  Thanks for the feedback.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

insert number in column
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD Type 4000 in an unused cell, then Copy > it and highlight your list of 3 digit numbers and Right-click > PasteSpecial > Add.......this will place a "4" on the left end of each string. Instead of 4000, use 3000 or whatever the new digit is to be. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "afdmello" wrote: > I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensio...

Custom Link for UPS tracking number?
Does anyone know the correct link for UPS to pull up tracking number info from sales orders? I've tried several that open the UPS site when I click on the tracking number link from SOP, but none that actaully fill in and pull up the tracking number entered on the order. Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef ------=_NextPart_0001_12A27388 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jim, Thank you for the post to the Microsoft Dynamics Newsgroups! There is a way to have it automatically populated the tracking number on the web sites. When you set up your custom links web pag...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Number of contacts in crm
Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM -- Regards, Pedro Airó you can use the query class which uses fetch xml http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CrmSdk1_2/htm/v1d2crmqueryexecutequerymethod.asp -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Pedro Airo" <pedro_airo@netcabo.pt> wrote in message news:27E5C555-BAAE-4C4C-8F84-1DD204845F28@microsoft.com... > Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM > > -- > Regards, > Pedro Air� Yes, but where ...

How to remove page numbers from the display?
I opened a spreadsheet that is display large grey page numbers in the middle of each page of this spreadsheet. These do not print. How do I turn off this display of page number? This is a feature of View|Page Break Preview. Can you just go back to normal? View|Normal Dale Bedford wrote: > > I opened a spreadsheet that is display large grey page numbers in the middle > of each page of this spreadsheet. These do not print. How do I turn off this > display of page number? -- Dave Peterson Dale, You are most likely in the Page Brake Preview mode. To switch to the normal m...

Conditional null value

Change "Text Numbers" to "Numbers"
Hello, Can you tell me how to (with a macro) change a range of cells that have text numbers to real numbers so I can use them in formulas and also have them show up as real numbers if I save the file as a .prn file. The range of cells begin in row 2 from column C through column AZ. I would really appreciate your help. I have spent days on this and I'm still lost. Thank You, Nichole Hi try the following: - set the format for these cells to a 'number' format' - select an empty cell and copy this cell - select your range of text numbers - goto 'Edit - Paste Special&#...

footers and page numbers
Can you change the place at which a footer occurs on the page. I want mine to occur lower down. (pub 2007) Thanks. lindalou wrote: > Can you change the place at which a footer occurs on the page. I want mine to > occur lower down. (pub 2007) The "Footer" (just like the "Header") is merely a construct that Publisher creates to make Word users feel more comfortable. It is in fact a text box on your master page, movable and resizable just like any other object. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...