Conditional format #22

I am making a training schedule, and I need a bit of help.
In each workbook, I have 12 sheets 1 for each month.
Let’s say Joe is up for retraining on March 1. In cell C46 of every month I
have his due date of March 31. The way I have it working right now is if 30
days prior and the training is still not done, the cell with the training
date in it (C46) turns yellow. If it expires it goes red. What I would like
it to do, is if 30 days prior the training is not done I would like it to
turn Cells A1-A30 B1-B30 C1-C30 yellow. If it expires I would like the same
cells to turn red. Is this possible.

Thanks
Kevin

0
Kevin105 (377)

Hi Kevin,
If you mean what you say literally then
you would  select cells   A1:C30  before entering your Conditional Formatting
formula -- those are the cells that will get colored.    If you would like
C46 to also change color then  select A1:C0  and  C46

Since you want the entire thing to be based on a single cell your
formula would be
    =$C$46 > date(2005,03,31)   --  format as Red
    =$C$46 > date(2005,03,1)     -- format as Yellow

---
HTH,

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D884F9CC-0AED-4A67-92D2-C25A74210613@microsoft.com...
> I am making a training schedule, and I need a bit of help.
> In each workbook, I have 12 sheets 1 for each month.
> Let's say Joe is up for retraining on March 1. In cell C46 of every month I
> have his due date of March 31. The way I have it working right now is if 30
> days prior and the training is still not done, the cell with the training
> date in it (C46) turns yellow. If it expires it goes red. What I would like
> it to do, is if 30 days prior the training is not done I would like it to
> turn Cells A1-A30 B1-B30 C1-C30 yellow. If it expires I would like the same
> cells to turn red. Is this possible.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/6/2005 1:16:40 AM
Hi David,
Thanks that did work but what if I have a few different cells with different
dates in them for different trianing?

eg:  c46 march 1 d46 june 1 e46 april 1

So I would like A1:C30 to turn red when any of the cells gets to the date
and yellow 1 month previous.

Thanks

Kevin

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
> If you mean what you say literally then
> you would  select cells   A1:C30  before entering your Conditional Formatting
> formula -- those are the cells that will get colored.    If you would like
> C46 to also change color then  select A1:C0  and  C46
>
> Since you want the entire thing to be based on a single cell your
> formula would be
>     =$C$46 > date(2005,03,31)   --  format as Red
>     =$C$46 > date(2005,03,1)     -- format as Yellow
>
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D884F9CC-0AED-4A67-92D2-C25A74210613@microsoft.com...
> > I am making a training schedule, and I need a bit of help.
> > In each workbook, I have 12 sheets 1 for each month.
> > Let's say Joe is up for retraining on March 1. In cell C46 of every month I
> > have his due date of March 31. The way I have it working right now is if 30
> > days prior and the training is still not done, the cell with the training
> > date in it (C46) turns yellow. If it expires it goes red. What I would like
> > it to do, is if 30 days prior the training is not done I would like it to
> > turn Cells A1-A30 B1-B30 C1-C30 yellow. If it expires I would like the same
> > cells to turn red. Is this possible.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kevin

0
Kevin105 (377)
4/7/2005 4:59:04 PM
Try using COUNTIF   with absolute addresses in your VLOOKUP.

---
HTH,

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCBDD86-0EF9-4534-A4BF-80BEBE7FD714@microsoft.com...
> Hi David,
> Thanks that did work but what if I have a few different cells with different
> dates in them for different trianing?
>
> eg:  c46 march 1 d46 june 1 e46 april 1
>
> So I would like A1:C30 to turn red when any of the cells gets to the date
> and yellow 1 month previous.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin
>

> "David McRitchie" wrote:
>
> > Hi Kevin,
> > If you mean what you say literally then
> > you would  select cells   A1:C30  before entering your Conditional Formatting
> > formula -- those are the cells that will get colored.    If you would like
> > C46 to also change color then  select A1:C0  and  C46
> >
> > Since you want the entire thing to be based on a single cell your
> > formula would be
> >     =$C$46 > date(2005,03,31)   --  format as Red
> >     =$C$46 > date(2005,03,1)     -- format as Yellow
> >
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D884F9CC-0AED-4A67-92D2-C25A74210613@microsoft.com...
> > > I am making a training schedule, and I need a bit of help.
> > > In each workbook, I have 12 sheets 1 for each month.
> > > Let's say Joe is up for retraining on March 1. In cell C46 of every month I
> > > have his due date of March 31. The way I have it working right now is if 30
> > > days prior and the training is still not done, the cell with the training
> > > date in it (C46) turns yellow. If it expires it goes red. What I would like
> > > it to do, is if 30 days prior the training is not done I would like it to
> > > turn Cells A1-A30 B1-B30 C1-C30 yellow. If it expires I would like the same
> > > cells to turn red. Is this possible.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Kevin

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/7/2005 6:23:29 PM
Sorry  try this formula for your Conditional Format
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$C$30, ">" & VALUE(DATE(2005,3,31)))    red
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$C$30, ">" & VALUE(DATE(2005,3,0)))    yellow
don't know what I was thinking of when I thought your previous
formula had anything to do with VLOOKUP.

Preselect the cells that you want to receive the color, which
I think they are   A1:C30,   since address is an absolute address
it really won't make any difference which cell is active because
the formula is not going to be changed when applied to different
cells.
---
HTH,

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCBDD86-0EF9-4534-A4BF-80BEBE7FD714@microsoft.com...
> > Hi David,
> > Thanks that did work but what if I have a few different cells with different
> > dates in them for different trianing?
> >
> > eg:  c46 march 1 d46 june 1 e46 april 1
> >
> > So I would like A1:C30 to turn red when any of the cells gets to the date
> > and yellow 1 month previous.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Today Conditional Format

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Query condition by date range

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

conditionally restricting values in excel
Hello, I want to restrict values in a particular column based on the value in other column. For eg. if column A has value int then column B should be restricted to values 1,2,3,4,5 if column A has value bool then column B should be restricted to values true and false. if column A has value string I dont want any validation to be done and the list box should not appear. Is this possible..... How do I achieve this ? Can I use macros to do this? How? Thanks Hi as a starting point: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >I want to restrict ...

Conditional formating condition..?
Hi All I have 2 CF conditions associated with a cell (C14), one of which is: Formula is =OR($C$4="Fred SOMEBODY",C14<>"10:30:00") What happens when this is true isn't important/relevant. The value in the cell appears as 10:30 (formatted as custom/hh:mm) but the value in the 'formula window' is actually 10:30:00. This type of condition works fine when the cell contains a simple number (or text) but I can't get it to work for either times or dates. I have tried it with and without the inverted commas (around the time value) and have tried using 10:30 ...

Condition Formatting!
How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when the word "trial" or "limit" is entered? i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial". From the column of trial to the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red? a b c d e f 1 2 3 Trial 4 5 6 Here's some VBA you could paste into the codebehind page for that sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If UCase(Target.Value) = "TRIAL" Or UCase(Target.Value) = "LIMIT" T...

Formatting cells for printing
How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. You can increase the rowheight by selecting a cell in that row and then: format|row|height and making it larger. You could also add an alt-enter as the last character in that cell. (might be messy if you're working with numeric values, though) Steve S wrote: > > How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows > for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. -- Dave Peterson ...

Lose Formatting
We have a pretty intense Excel Workbook that we use on a daily bases. We are currently running MS 2007 but this Workbook is running in 97-2003 because we just changed over about 6 months ago. The issue is that in the past week the this file keeps losing it format. Can't seem to figure out why. ...

Emailing Reports in PDF format
I am using Stephen Lebans A2000SnapshotToPDFver751 to email reports as PDF files. The module works fine if the report page size is set to letter but on the reports where page size is set to legal the bottom part of the page past the letter size does not have the lines that should be printing. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this problem. Thanks, -- Bob G ...