Concealing VB code

In Excel 2000 or later, can you develop a spreadsheet with a lot of VBA code
and hide or compile the code so users can't see or modify it?

0
88karl3200 (11)

Hi, Karl. Right-click the module and choose Properties to get to the
password dialog. Keep in mind that many people know how to crack even VBA
code passwords, so Excel apps are NEVER really secure.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Karl Irvin" <88karl3200@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In Excel 2000 or later, can you develop a spreadsheet with a lot of VBA
code
> and hide or compile the code so users can't see or modify it?

0
ng1 (1444)
6/20/2005 5:20:29 PM
Thanks Anne

I have an Access app the exports data out of an accounting package and via
automation adds it to Excel. The process of transferring the data to Excel
is relatively slow so I was thinking of re-writing the app in Excel to avoid
this bottleneck.

In Access I can make an mde file (sort of a compiled file)  that makes the
code unreadable. But I sell this product and would rather not have the code
visible. I guess I will stick with the Access to Excel process.

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Karl. Right-click the module and choose Properties to get to the
> password dialog. Keep in mind that many people know how to crack even VBA
> code passwords, so Excel apps are NEVER really secure.
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "Karl Irvin" <88karl3200@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> In Excel 2000 or later, can you develop a spreadsheet with a lot of VBA
> code
>> and hide or compile the code so users can't see or modify it?

0
88karl3200 (11)

ftp code sample in VC++6
Hi, my project (using VC++6) wants to connect to a ftp site to find a file in and copy it to the local computer. i'm new to this. could you tell me where to find a code sample or application sample for me to start with. THANKS !! How is this one http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcsample/html/_sample_mfc_FTPTREE.asp also look here http://www.codeproject.com/info/search.asp?cats=2&searchkw=ftp+mfc&Submit1=Search&author=&sd=11%2F15%2F1999&ed=10%2F7%2F2005 AliR. "bangwo" <bangwo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

dataset: code it or use designer
Hi, Without wanting to start a heated debate, I have the following question: I am going to use a DataSet in my application. The table structure will be fixed. It will be a small, simple database, consisting of a few, 10 at most, tables, and some simple relationships between them. I can create a DataSet using the designer, but I can also write code to create it. Is there a preferred way? Put another way: does one method offer benefits over the other (other than the designer being quicker and easier -for me- in the development stage)? tia arno rno wrote: > [...] > I ...

Help with Code for Form
Can someone please tell me how to code for the following? I have to date fields. Date field 1 is red/bolded when Date field 1 is less than Date(). Date field 2 is Blank. However, When date field 2 is filled with an actual Date, I want Date field 1 to turn grey and not bolded. I have tried conditional formatting and have not been able to make it work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Use the AfterUpdate event of Date field 2 to modify the properties of Date field 1. Carl Rapson "TotallyConfused" <TotallyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Setting properties with VB
Hello there I have chart that i need to change some types, caption locations ect... on runtime because these elements are diterme according to the data which the chart got. Is there a way to control Chart by code? Hi Roy, Here is a good place to start. (http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/index.html#hdrVBA) Roy Goldhammer wrote: > Hello there > > I have chart that i need to change some types, caption locations ect... on > runtime because these elements are diterme according to the data which the > chart got. > > Is there a way to control Chart by cod...

code for making a morph program?
hy, im trying to make a program to morph pictures. does anybody knows, where i can get some code about this topic?? i didnt found anything!! thanx a lot! Try google morph source code c and lots of hits come up. I got 10 pages of hits just to start. joe On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:04:40 -0700, "andreas" <schaereran@gmx.net> wrote: >hy, im trying to make a program to morph pictures. >does anybody knows, where i can get some code about this >topic?? i didnt found anything!! > >thanx a lot! Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www...

PRODUCT CODE
MY PRODUCT CODE SHOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE COMPUTER IS NOT ACEPTED BY WINDOWS. I HAVE RECHECKED THE CODE BUT IT IS NOT ACCEPTED. CODE IS RDQYB-VBWDM-8K6TK-QT72H-328V3. i HAVE ALREADY DESTROYED THE BOX IT CAME IN SO IS THERE ANYOTHER WEAY I CAN CHECK CODE NUMBER? Gunbarrel, I'm sorry, no one here works for Microsoft nor has anything to do with license keys or product codes. Best bet is to contact the place you purchased the software from and see if they can help. Generally, software codes are not printed on the side of the computer. Also, please do not type in all uppe...

VBA Code to Open File1; Open File2 copy sheets to File1
Using XL 2003 & 97 Need help with the following VBA code: Sub Macro1() Dim myNewWorkbook As String myNewWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook.Name Workbooks.Open Filename:="OldWorkbookFile.xls" Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Activate Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Copy _ Before:=Workbooks(myNewWorkbook).Sheets(2) Windows("OldWorkbookFile.xls").Activate ActiveWorkbook.Close Windows(myNewWorkbook).Activate ' ........ End Sub My goal is to have myNewWorkbook active then:...

Add extra code to close form?
Hi guys the following code that is attached to a command button covers certain conditons and works fine. But my problem is this: when the user opens the form and then decides not to use the form and wants to close it the code does not close because there is not a condition to cover that aspect. I dont know what to add to the code to cover a form that has been opened but has not yet created a record.(the form is totally blank until the user selects a [TYPE]). Your help would be most appreciated.. Option Compare Database Function boreclose() On Error GoTo boreclose_Err Wi...

Update Directory Path in Code
Hello all, I'm attempting to run a macro to open all files in a directory however, the directory changes from month to month (i.e. from Apr to May and so on throughout the year. How can I point to the new directory each month? This is the code I'm using now, but I want to allow different users to run this monthly and they are not savy on going in and editing my macro to change the directory path, and I'm happy that thay can't. Appreciate any assistance with this macro. Thank you, Ron Sub Open_Files_In_A_Directory() Dim fileList() As String Dim fName As S...

MS-Query code from EXCEL97 doesn't work in EXCEL2003 ??
I am using MS-Query to import data from SQLServer2000 to MS-EXCEL. We recently upgraded to EXCEL2003 from EXCEL97 and now MS-Query don't understand more "complicated" code which worked without problems in EXCEL97. The code below is an example of this problem. I understand that I can solve this through building views in SQLServer but I would prefer not to because of the number of views required. What has happended to MS-Query in EXCEL2003 and is there an solution to this available from Microsoft? -----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Update Statusbar of PowerPoint and Visio 2007 using VB.Net
I am able to update Statusbar of Word and Excel 2007 using VB.Net. But i am unable to do this for PowerPoint and Visio 2007. Is there anyway to update Statusbar of PowerPoint and Visio 2007 using VB.Net? Thanks in advance, Regards Pretty sure you can't in PP. I don't use Visio -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Keith Howard" wrote: > I am able to update Statusbar of Word and Excel 2007 using VB.Net. But i am > unable to do this fo...

Error code 1603
Just recently, I downloaded version 7.1 for my Wireless Mouse Explorer v.2 and tried to install it. It does not ending in an error code 1603. I investigated that error code and found no helpful explanation under Microsoft's support except for the extraordinary helpful hint that this error is by design ...HuuH? What a BS. I followed all instruction by removing Intellipoint, did a Clean up afterwards etc. Still no success. I had to install the old version 6,2 and even this caused some problems. At one time I had a MS techie from India on the phone and he saw what happened and...

VB.net
Hello: I work in Finance and have heard that VB.net is a very useful tool for building financial models. Would anyone have an opinion? I am looking for information related to the value of VB.net in Finance. Thanks -- Mark > I work in Finance and have heard that VB.net is a very useful tool for > building financial models. Would anyone have an opinion? I am looking for > information related to the value of VB.net in Finance. Do you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_finance ? As a programming language allows to automate those computation then programm...

How to Mute/Enable Windows Sounds whilst running VBA code
Most of the time, my PC runs silently. I am easily irritated by sounds of windows opening, etc. etc. But exceptionally, I would like to be advised of an unusual event by playing a Wav file through code. Is there a pair of lines that I can add to enable before, and mute after the required sound has played? Here is an example: Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _ Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _ ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long Public Sub PrinterCheck() Dim int1as integer Dim strWavFile As String int1 = MsgBo...

whats wrong with this code?
------------Begin code--------------------------------- Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone Dim strInmateID As String strInmateID = Me.ImateID rs.FindFirst "InmateId = '" & strInmateID & "'" If rs.NoMatch Then MsgBox "No entry found.", vbInformation, "Data Not Found" ElseIf Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark End If ------------------End code----------------------------- The line Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark generates the following error: "Run-time error '2115': The macro of function set to the B...

VB Executable as Web Application
I have good working knowledge of Excel VBA and am thinking of learning to create Web Applications. Without much knowledge in ASP.NET or PHP, and wanting to take the easiest path, I was wondering if it would be easier to just develop VB.NET executable applications (using MS Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition) as web applications. This would of course necessitate users to download the executable file and install it on their computers. Is this practice generally frowned upon, and has anyone gone down this path and with what pros and cons ? Thanks. If you have full trust on the user com...

Form Code HELP ??
I am have been trying to eliminate having to delete and then redefine my query in the code below. Can anyone help or suggest how I would modify? Private Sub Text0_AfterUpdate() On Error GoTo Err_Text0_AfterUpdate Dim stDocName1 As String Dim stDocName2 As String Dim MyQueryDef As QueryDef Dim db As DAO.Database Set db = CurrentDb() If ObjectExists("Queries", "qryUpdateBRSales") = True Then db.QueryDefs.Delete "qryUpdateBRSales" End If If ObjectExists("Queries", "qryUpdateStatus") = True Then d...

Automating process from a VB appliction
All, Very new to GP. Being asked to automatically load trail balance data into GP in batch mode. Currently we use Integration Manager to do this. There is a business need to make it seamless so that its done via an outside application i.e. VB6 or .Net. Has anyone done this or something similar? Looking to evaluate what technology to use to do this. I would hate to write ado code to update the GP table, hoping there is some type of API or type library my app can reference so that the data is populating the correct tables. Noticed GP uses VBA for customization, not sure that is a...

Problem with V-Basic code for displaying times in hh:mm format
I am NOT a Visual Basic expert by any stretch. A while ago, I asked for some help re setting up the code so that someone could quickly enter just the numbers for a time, and the program would change that to the correct hh:mm format when you tab out of the cell. I received the following suggestion: "Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim tlen As Long, result As String If Target.Column < 3 Or Target.Column > 15 Then Exit Sub If Target.Column > 6 And Target.Column < 12 Then Exit Sub If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub tlen = Len(Target.Val...

unlock codes algorithms
I want my application to require an unlock code. I know there are arguments for and against. I've decided to do it. My question is - does anyone know of any links that they can point me to that give useful tips - especially advice on handy algorithms to use - relating to generating unlock codes. Are there 3rd party tools to help with this or are you better to write your own? TIA Simon Since you don't know anything on this topic, I would recommend you purchasing ready-to-use packages, such as strongbit.com or siliconrealms.com. You can do it yourself, of course, however yo...

Select item from dropdown list, item code is displayed in cell
I need help with a spreadsheet problem. I created a timesheet for users to track their hours with an in-cell drop down for some of the values. Currently, an user is able to use the in-cell dropdown to select a time off code and the result is displayed in the cell. However, I would like to have the user to see the full-name on the in-cell dropdown, but have the abbreviated code display in the cell when selected. I have been unable to figure out how to do this, so any help would be great! I am trying to stay away from extra Excel components or macros, as I like to keep this sheet easy for the e...

CBitmap source code
I tried to find the source code for CBitmap in MFC source code. But didn't find the implementation part. Does anyone know where I can find it, or Microsoft didn't make it public? Thanks! you probably weren't looking in the right place. its almost all inline code... check out mfc\include\afxwin1.inl "xunhuan" <wangshz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cdc190b9.0501280957.3b8d35be@posting.google.com... > I tried to find the source code for CBitmap in MFC source code. But > didn't find the implementation part. Does anyone know where I can find > it, o...

Free the RMS customization guide and source code!
Is anyone else as frustrated as I am that MSDynamics won't make the the customization guide and source code available to paying customers? I'd love to have an explanation, that holds up to scrutiny, on why paying customers can't get access to one of the major advertised benefits of RMS. Dear Steve, Dont be so frustrated, I am sending you on your email the customization guide which you will get in few minutes. but don't forget to rate me anything you need let me know if I have enough time I happy to help you out. "Steve Shaffer" wrote: > Is anyone else as fr...

inserting zip codes on envelops in word 2007
this program has not a selection for adding the postal bar code to the envelope address How do turn it on? The barcode produced by Word is POSTNET. The USPS no longer accepts that format for bulk mail discounts -- see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290. You might as well not use the barcode feature at all. However you can still insert a barcode field should you wish. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site htt...

Code to preview multiple instances of a form
Greetings to all I have a form with a button cmdPrint. The click event has code including DoCmd.OpenReport strDocName,acViewPreview The report prints properly when clicked. I have added another button called cmdPrint_FullSet. When clicked, I use criteria in the form's controls to cycle through a set of reports that should print. This cycling also works just fine. In each cycle, a 'Call cmdPrint_Click' statement is executed. My problem is that ony the first report preview is shown. I'm guessing this is because they would all have the same file name. ...