Comparing Data in Excel

Sorry for the respost everybody, I just assumed that because I ha
replied to my original response, people may not have seen my message.

My problem is I dohn't know how to use excel to cross-verify data.

For rows that do not match, I would like something to occur in exce
that would pinpoint this to me. Whether it tell me the list in a ne
worksheet or highlight the rows, anything.

Two issues:

My data is not in the same order, and cannot be filtered so that it i
in the same order. One worksheet has more rows than the other, fo
example.

And also, I need it to cross-verify two columns.

So if in worksheet A the data is,

employee1 manager mandy
employee2 manager carol
employee3 manager andy
employee4 manager andrew

and in worksheet B the data is,

employee1 manager mandy
employee3 manager andy
employee2 manager alex
employee4 manager andrew

i want it to cross-verify this type of data. and pinpoint that the dat
has discrepencies with employee2.

thank you so much for your help, i am so stuck

--
Pre
Pree's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1481

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther

because I had
>replied to my original response, people may not have seen
my message.

>My problem is I dohn't know how to use excel to cross-
verify data.

>For rows that do not match, I would like something to
occur in excel
>that would pinpoint this to me. Whether it tell me the
list in a new
>worksheet or highlight the rows, anything.
>
>Two issues:
>
>My data is not in the same order, and cannot be filtered
so that it is
>in the same order. One worksheet has more rows than the
other, for
>example.
>
>And also, I need it to cross-verify two columns.
>
>So if in worksheet A the data is,
>
>employee1 manager mandy
>employee2 manager carol
>employee3 manager andy
>employee4 manager andrew
>
>and in worksheet B the data is,
>
>employee1 manager mandy
>employee3 manager andy
>employee2 manager alex
>employee4 manager andrew
>
>i want it to cross-verify this type of data. and pinpoint
that the data

--------------
>Pree's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?
action=getinfo&userid=14814
>View this thread:
>
>.

0
anonymous (74721)

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

UnHide Columns in Excel 2002
In Office XP in Excel I can not select two columns it automatically expands the selection to include the Merged Row above it which includes all the columns below - not just the two I selected. When I select just two cells the right click does not include the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". I have to go to the format menu, select column and select "Unhide" or "Hide". Is there a way to select columns without including the merged rows within the spreadsheet? Is there a shortcut to "Hide" or "UnHide" with a right click or keyboar...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

How do figure excel formula out?
I'm taking an excel class & the ? is "if you enter 5B21C2 in cell B1 of a worksheet the formula is replaced by the # 125 when you press enter. What happened? The worksheet is hypethetical. Then the next ? is to use same worksheet, change the # in cell B2 from 55 to 65. What happens to the # in cell B1 & why. The info I found doesn't tell how to figure the first formula so everything else doesn't make sense to me. HELP! -- thanks I'm sorry to say that your comprehension of XL is soooo bad, that you can't pose an accurate, intelligent question. Doe...

Data Markers
Can I change data markers so that it reflects the conditional formatting on that cell? For example if the data in column c is being plotted and the conditional formatting I have on the cells are if column D = "Y" can I have it so that those markers are plotted with a circle marker and the rest with a square marker? Thanks! Hi, Have a look at Jon's page for conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy ivy_gayle wrote: > Can I change data markers so that it reflects the conditional formatting on > that cell? For exampl...

Excel 2003 Select All (CTRL A)
Hi, I have a user who has recently been upgraded from office 2000 to office 2003. Apparently in Excel 2000, pressing CTRL and A would select all the cells with data in (in a square) For example if the highest numbered cell with data in was F 20 it would select from A1 to F20 In Excel 2003 it just seems to select the entire sheet. Is there a way around this? Thanks! Ctrl A still does that in 2003... This is from the help file: -Note If the worksheet contains data, pressing CTRL+A selects th current region. Pressing CTRL+A a second time selects the entir worksheet.- Make sure y...

Convert Rows data
Hi there, I have the following sample data: PARTNUMBER QTY RATe PRUN VALID_FROM_VALID_TO ZWR1 0.1095 USD 1 20050512 20050526 XREZ12 0.1095 USD 1 20050527 99991231 is it possible to put this data in the following: 20050512 20050526 20050527 99991231 ZWR1 XREZ12 0.1095 0.1095 USD USD 1 1 So basically make the exis...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

Chart Template Default Directroy excel 2007
I used to be able save a User Defined Chart Type to file XLUSRGAL.XLS in Excel 97/03 on my (otherwise heavily restricted) Company Network and use VBA to read and apply usertypes to xy scatter charts (up to 20 series to multi-format error bars and spoof markers etc). Very powerful I think. I could see the location of XLUSRGAL.xls in my personal profile. However my Company is moving to a Citrix thin client desktop with upgrade to Excel 2007. I am restricted from writing to, and reading from, the Chart Template default directory. I suspect that might remain the case for a very long time Is t...

Counting occurances of same data in different fields
I am creating a conference registration program that allows registrants to select up to three events to participate in. Is there an easy way to count the total number of registations for each event that occurs in the three selection fields? On Mar 16, 2:54 pm, Fred Morris <FredMor...@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:> I am creating a conference registration program that allows registrants to> select up to three events to participate in. Is there an easy way to count> the total number of registations for each event that occurs in the three> selection fields?I gather you hav...

deleting data, keep formulas
I want to delete the data in a worksheet, but keep the formulas so tha I have a worksheet pattern of formulas that I use frequently -- elviejo4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- elviejo41's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2356 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39389 Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlNumbers).ClearContents I don't know how large your spreadsheet is, but you could try changin the setting to display Formulas (Tools>Options | View tab, in th Win...

Data Validation Window?
Excel 2000 ... I do not use Validation much, but usually have no problem. I used COPY/PASTE SPECIAL "Validation" to get Validation into other cells ... Issue is ... the Validation Message Window is now opening way off location from the PASTE TO cells. Above said ... if I select each cell & set Validation ... Validation Window appears ajacent to cell where Validation was set (perfect)... However, when I use COPY/PASTE SPECIAL Validation ... the Window is appearing to stay closer to the COPY FROM cell than the PASTE TO cell. How do I fix this ... other than selecting eac...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

APA Style Table in Excel
Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places in line? Example: Instead of: 0022.11 1122.01 Have: 22.11 1122.01 Thanks, Dan One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom ???0.00 Left align the cells. In article <s0Gsb.21268$8x2.8238628@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>, "Dan" <dslaugh@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places > in line? > > Example: > > Instead of: > > 0022.11 > 1122.01 > > Have: > > 22.11 > 1122.01 > > Thanks, &g...

Stop opening multiple versions of Excel when click on xls files
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel and opens the file. However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up a new instance of Excel. So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running simultaneously. It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in question once Excel is already opened, etc. Any ideas? Thanks. On Jun 28, 2:55 pm, ste...

Data Migration Manager Config fails
I'm trying to configure DMM on XP user Admin rights and system admin in CRM. Install went fine. After putting in the url during configuration, I get an error message " Either the user id or business id is not valid or the user or business is not valid." Has anyone encountered this? Have not been able to get past this point. ...

No Data under Reconciliation
Hi All, I am experiencing the strangest of all problems that I have ever come across.We are using GP 8.0. When I attempt to run Financial reconciliation - when I go to Transactions -Financial -Bank Management -Reconciliation and select the ChequeBook id (any for that) I am able to see the : The statement Balance The CashBook Balance The General Ledger Balance But when I click on the Transactions button there is nothing there-No data absolutely nothing. Any ideas guys? -- Noels "The Best thing in life is life" ...

excel Problems #6
While working in excel I am facing two problems 1.after working 1 -2hours in excel ,my excel stops working,even if I am trying to quit by clicking close button it stops responding and the system hangs up.only way to quit the prog is to press cntrl+shift+del and end task.after that I got auto recovery pane that saved my excel work.This happens every day.what's this problem? 2.while inserting a name i.e-insert-name-define-name box-refer to box-I am not able to enter a big formula.after entering say it is around 250 characters cursor not moving forward.Is there any limitation for defi...

Graff data series
I have a graff for sales. Data series 1 = Budget Data series 2 = Actual I want the value that is shown with data series 2 to be a % of the value of data series 1. ...

quatro pro to excel 2003
I recieved a Quatro Pro file and I saved it as excel. I have excel 2003 on my computer running on windows xp. The process I followed is: Saved the Quatro Pro Document as a 123.wks file, opened that file in excel and then saved as an excel file. The file does not work in Excel. It has some macros too. What should I do? Pls advise. -- gsingh2000 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gsingh2000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25303 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=387890 ...

Where can I get some clear instructions about setting up forms on Excel
Where can I get some clear instructions about setting up forms on excel? thanks, Janev Not sure what kind of forms you want to set up. Would you like to check = out the following. http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html http://www.contextures.com/xlform01.html Epinn "Janev" <newcole@comcen.com.au> wrote in message = news:8ld4h2t51acbe968hpp52h3p8knd0ijb18@4ax.com... Where can I get some clear instructions about setting up=20 forms on excel? thanks, Janev http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form Excerpted from Mic...

Filling in Data
I have several points where I need data. I only have the start and the end values and I want to fill in each of the points between the two. How is that accomplished. Example. Point 1 = 50, Point 10 = 600. I need Points 2-9. 550/9 = the increment to add moving from point 2 to point 9 Jamie wrote: > I have several points where I need data. I only have the start and the end > values and I want to fill in each of the points between the two. How is that > accomplished. > > Example. Point 1 = 50, Point 10 = 600. I need Points 2-9. Hi, Try this and ente...

How do I put a button on an excel spreadsheet to print a report?
Hi please help I want to put a button onto a excel spreadsheet (not the toolbar) that will print a report for me from another sheet, what macro do I use and what options do I use Regards Casper I would record a macro when I printed what I wanted. Then I'd use a button from the Forms toolbar and plop it onto that other sheet--and assign that recorded macro to that button. Your recorded macro may look something like: Option Explicit Sub Macro1() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True End Sub I'd change it to be more specific (and give it a nice name): O...

need Excel formula that figures out which data adds up to total
I have 33 different dollar amounts listed along with their invoice numbers and I need to figure out how many of those amounts add up to a check that I received. For example, I have 33 different rows of numbers in 1 column that add up to 53,545.69. Which rows of numbers add up to that? I received a check for $11,646.54 but do not know which invoices it pays. Is there an Excel formula that can tell me which ones could add up to that total? Thanks for any help, Kerri Google for SOLVER "Kerri" wrote: > I have 33 different dollar amounts listed along with th...

Excel - 2000 or 97 conversion
It did work, but the list that appears when you click, doesnt contai data validated cells -- ajw15 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ajw150's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=802 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26202 Are you writing about the button or the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar? If it's the button, I don't understand. If it's the combobox, go into design mode (an icon on that control toolbox toolbar). Right click on the combobox, select pro...