I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want to
bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
example of text.

File 1
Col A             Col B
BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON

File 2
Col A              Col B
BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
GENCABH

So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them to
File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match somewhere
in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.

So, file 2 would look like this:
File 2
Col A              Col B                  Col C
BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
GENCABH                                  No

Thanks in advance for any help.

In C1 of Sheet2
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$20=A1),--('[My First
File.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$20=B1)),"Yes","No")
Replace the two '20' entries by however number of rows your need to compare
Copy down the column
Only in Excel 2007 can you use full column references as in
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!A:A=A1),--('[My First
File.xls]Sheet1'!B:B=B1)),"Yes","No")
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want
> bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
> example of text.
>
> File 1
> Col A             Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
>
> File 2
> Col A              Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH
>
> So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them
> File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match
> somewhere
> in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
>
> So, file 2 would look like this:
> File 2
> Col A              Col B                  Col C
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> GENCABH                                  No
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Bernard
11/16/2009 3:10:47 PM
If you are using Excel 2007
=IF(COUNTIFS('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$A,A1,'[My First
File.xls]Sheet1'!$B:$B,B1),"y","n")
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want
> bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
> example of text.
>
> File 1
> Col A             Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
>
> File 2
> Col A              Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH
>
> So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them
> File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match
> somewhere
> in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
>
> So, file 2 would look like this:
> File 2
> Col A              Col B                  Col C
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> GENCABH                                  No
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Bernard
11/16/2009 3:16:48 PM
Thanks Bernard.

But, I'm still having an issue. I get a #value error for my return. Here is
the formula as a wrote it.

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$I$259=C2),--('New Composites.xls'!$A$2:$B$4707='New
Composites.xls'!$A$2)),"Yes","no")

Any help is appreciated. Thanks again

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> In C1 of Sheet2
> =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$20=A1),--('[My First
> File.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$20=B1)),"Yes","No")
> Replace the two '20' entries by however number of rows your need to compare
> Copy down the column
> Only in Excel 2007 can you use full column references as in
> =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!A:A=A1),--('[My First
> File.xls]Sheet1'!B:B=B1)),"Yes","No")
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want
> > bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
> > example of text.
> >
> > File 1
> > Col A             Col B
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> > GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
> >
> > File 2
> > Col A              Col B
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> > GENCABH
> >
> > So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them
> > File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match
> > somewhere
> > in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
> >
> > So, file 2 would look like this:
> > File 2
> > Col A              Col B                  Col C
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> > GENCABH                                  No
> >

> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >

> .

I'm using the 2003 version?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> If you are using Excel 2007
> =IF(COUNTIFS('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$A,A1,'[My First
> File.xls]Sheet1'!$B:$B,B1),"y","n")
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want
> > bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
> > example of text.
> >
> > File 1
> > Col A             Col B
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> > GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
> >
> > File 2
> > Col A              Col B
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> > GENCABH
> >
> > So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them
> > File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match
> > somewhere
> > in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
> >
> > So, file 2 would look like this:
> > File 2
> > Col A              Col B                  Col C
> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> > GENCABH                                  No
> >

> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >

> .

Your ranges need to be the same length.
 259<>4707
--
David Biddulph

> Thanks Bernard.
>
> But, I'm still having an issue. I get a #value error for my return. Here
> is
> the formula as a wrote it.
>
> =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$I$259=C2),--('New
> Composites.xls'!$A$2:$B$4707='New
> Composites.xls'!$A$2)),"Yes","no")
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks again
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> In C1 of Sheet2
>> =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$20=A1),--('[My
>> First
>> File.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$20=B1)),"Yes","No")
>> Replace the two '20' entries by however number of rows your need to
>> compare
>> Copy down the column
>> Only in Excel 2007 can you use full column references as in
>> =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[My First File.xls]Sheet1'!A:A=A1),--('[My First
>> File.xls]Sheet1'!B:B=B1)),"Yes","No")
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I
>> > want
>> > bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's
>> > an
>> > example of text.
>> >
>> > File 1
>> > Col A             Col B
>> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
>> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
>> > GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
>> >
>> > File 2
>> > Col A              Col B
>> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
>> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
>> > GENCABH
>> >
>> > So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare
>> > them
>> > File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match
>> > somewhere
>> > in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
>> >
>> > So, file 2 would look like this:
>> > File 2
>> > Col A              Col B                  Col C
>> > BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
>> > AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
>> > GENCABH                                  No
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>> >

>> .

0
David
11/16/2009 4:17:10 PM
Hi
Try this

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--([Book1]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$4=A2),--([Book1]Sheet1!$B$2:$B$4=B2)),"Yes","No")

Bear in mind that your range need to be the same,eg the range A2 to A4 in
Sheet1 of Book1 must be the same in Sheet1 of Book2, ie A2 to A4, otherwise
you will get error message
--
Hope this help

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Doug" wrote:

> I am attempting to compare two text cells and if they both exist, I want to
> bring in a "yes" answer. If they don't, bring in a "no" answer. Here's an
> example of text.
>
> File 1
> Col A             Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH       ZPB_COMMON
>
> File 2
> Col A              Col B
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON
> GENCABH
>
> So, what I want to do is say in File 1 take cells A1 and B1 compare them to
> File 2 and search Col A and Col B and if  there is an exact match somewhere
> in file 2 then return a "yes" in column C. If not, "no" in column C.
>
> So, file 2 would look like this:
> File 2
> Col A              Col B                  Col C
> BRATTA         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> AHERNC         ZPB_COMMON      Yes
> GENCABH                                  No
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

How do I print 4 different postcards on the same page?
I am trying to print a mail merged document of postcards. I only need one copy of each post card. The only options I can find are to either print four of the same postcard or one per page. I would like to print four different post cards on one page. Does anyone have any idea how I can do this. You're doing a mail merge for four postcards? "EMCL" <EMCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:BA4A5215-CA5F-4144-941C-295770B06219@microsoft.com... > I am trying to print a mail merged document of postcards. I only need = one=20 > copy of each post car...

How to make two codes "Worksheet_Change" work together in same sheet code page
Friends, Please, anybody knows how to make these two VB codes work together? When I put them together in the same "sheet code page" in VBA, th second one doesn't work. Why? *** Code 1 *** Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) * * On Error GoTo QuitCode * * If Intersect(Target, Range("c1:c15")) Is Nothing Then * * * * Exit Sub * * ElseIf Target.Value <>*"" And Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = "" Then * * * * MsgBox "You haven't typed the name of the client yet." * * * * Target.Offset(0, -1).Activate End If QuitCode: ...

Two Email Accounts not able to reply out of one of them
Hello All, I was wondering if someone here has ran into this problem. I currently have two email accounts setup in Exchange I can receive email in both of these accounts and view the email in Outlook 2003. In my default account if I receive an email I can reply back. But in my secondary mailbox if I receive an email I cannot reply back I get a error message which is listed below. On the secondary account I have added my username under permissions and gave it full access but I am still getting the below error. Anything will help thanks. Your message did not reach some or all of the inten...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

Two databases or one
Hi, What if you have two organizations and you plan to design a database to do the same task but within that task, the defined tables will vary because of unique qualities related to the individual organization. Would it be best to create separate databases for each organization or keep the two organizations together? Anyone know the guidelines related to this? Thanks for any feedback. Ask yourself this - How often will you need the combined data? -- Build a little, test a little. "AccessKay" wrote: > Hi, > > What if you have two o...

how to create formula to divide two rows autoaatically
Is there any way to setup a sheet or create a formula so that it will divide the data in column A by Column B anytime the data is entered and put it into columnC ? What I am trying to do is create a spreadsheet for calculating fuel MPG. So I have columns as miles, gallons and the calculation as MPG. What I want to do is anytime a value is entered into miles and gallons, to calculate mpg and put it into that respective cell. Is there any way I can do this ? Thanks -- Tony Tony, in Column C, type the formula =sum(a1/b1). This should give you the result you are looking for. Hop...

need help referencing cell by formula result
I am trying to select a cell to reference using the result of a formula The spread sheet is an intrust calculator and I am wanting to bring th balance of the loan from say 6 months from =TODAY() to a cell. Th balance column shows the compounded intrust and subtracted payment month after month from the begining of the loan. I have a formula t find the coresponding row number for any month I wish to see th balance. I've tried =ADDRESS and some other things I'm not sure how t use. Any suggestions. Thank -- nosli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- no...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

Display nothing in a cell if value = 0
I have a range of cells formatted to display numbers in currency format. They have a formula applied to them so if the value of the Cell is nothing I get �0.00 showing. I would rather that nothing was shown in these instances. How is this achieved? Thanks Dom Couple of ways, use conditional formatting and display with a white font if the value is zero change the display option to suppress zeroes, Tools>Options>General and uncheck the Zero Values option. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mail...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

Can message be directed to file folder and recipient at the same t
Trying to send message to person x and at the same time have it filed in another folder other than the "Sent" folder. Is it possible to do this? Yes it is! Click on the Options button in that email and under Delivery Options there should be a checkmark to "Save Sent Message to" and you'll see that the default displayed is Sent Items. Click the Browse button and select your folder from the list. -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "Jimp...&quo...

differences between two tables
I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, and there are some in both but with differences in the fields. I'm not getting everything. Does anyone have any ideas how I can tackle this? Thanks! Use a UNION ALL query. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "denise" wrote: > I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are > some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, > and there are s...

How do I convert an Excel file to a CSV file?
I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? File>Save As>Save as Type In 2007 Button>Save As>Other Format>Save as Type You will find *.CSV in the list. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:21:02 -0800, beagleyt <beagleyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my >Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? ...

Dell Quad core. Office 2007. very slow to open a file
When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office 2007. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 07:45:01 -0800, the Count <the Count@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to >come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office >2007. Do you have a question, Your Excellency? If you have questions about .xlsx files it might be well to post them in an Excel newsgroup; there are Word groups for .docx file...

How do I auto size cells?
I want Excel to resize cells, based on the content I put in them, automatically. Try AutoFit which you can find under Format > Row > AutoFit "Aaron Mosby" wrote: > I want Excel to resize cells, based on the content I put in them, > automatically. Either - Click on the letter at the head of the column (to highlight the column) Click on <Format><Column><Auto fit selection> Or- Click on the number to the left of the row (to highlight the row) Click on <Format><Row><Auto fit selection> As appropriate. If this makes a column disprop...

Cannot create file error. Cannot open or save tif files...please h
Error I an receiving when trying to open a tif file as follows: Cannot create file:Remittance_advice.tif.right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder I am using windows vista and office 2007 outlook I cannot open or save a tif file. I can open all other file attachments. I can forward to another pc in my office and they can open. they can rename the tif and resend to me and I can open. original name is remittance_advice.tif and renamed is remittance_advice1.tif. this just start...

cell updating question
Sorry know this is pretty basic stuff here I think. I have a formated price sheet called sheet A which consists of product names and a pricing table for each product. the layout for a few products is like this; product A8, sizes C11-14 and price E11-14, Product A17, sizes C20-25, price E20-25. On sheet B you have 3 columns, Product A1-200, Sizes B1-200, Prices C1-200. This sheet changes on a regular bases and can vary in size. Is it possible to update Sheet A prices with a Vlookup in this situation or what can I use to make this work in excel. Any input would be great. I am pretty new to thi...

Help required on file transfer....
Hi i am Mujtaba working on file transfer application. Application should transfer and recieve files (any file any size). But i don't want to use FTP commands or WinInet classes. Could socket been used? if yes then CAsynSocket or CSocket for files what MFC class CFile of CSocketFile? My this application will run on LAN as well as on WAN. Could anybody please help me... Mujtaba The simplest way to transfer a file is to use the TransmitFile API. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/transmitfile_2.asp But it requires XP or Win2000 or bet...

How do I set up Publisher to find clip art file for border art?
I have Microsoft Office2003 installed with a typical install on a HP pavillion lap top using Windows Vista. When I try to add custom border art I am offered a collection of pictures from clip art, but when I select a picture and try to insert it into the border art I get a message that says "Publisher can not find file. I have exactly the same installation on an older desktop computer running XP and I have no problem. One help file I found says that this results from moving files or installing a new hard drive - but I have done none of these things. Why can't Publisher find...

User defined functions aware of what cell they are placed in?
Hi, I would like to make a user defined function which needs to know in what cell and what worksheet it is placed in. I will be using this UDF in multiple cells on multiple worksheets. I originally just passed the cell row and column as parameters to the UDF however this ended up updating all worksheets and not just the one the UDF was on. Is there any way to do this? Option Explicit function myfunct(something as somethingelse) as something msgbox application.caller.address & vblf _ & application.caller.parent.name & vblf _ & application.caller.pare...

Concatenate text & number cell
Hi all, I need to concatenate a word and a number cell. eg, Concatenate("Limit = $",A1) where A1 = $100,000. It shows up like this: "Limit = $100000". However I want the number to format with the comma between the thousand, ie. "Limit = $100,000" Does any one know how to do this. Thanks in advance. regards, John. one way: ="Limit = " & TEXT(A1,"$#,##0") In article <2285c01c45d99$ff299070$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I need to concatenate a wo...

Why does Outlook open two windows?
When installed Outlook 2003 with a new profile about two hours ago, it would open one window each time I started Outlook. But now, after I've been doing a lot of work on the folder structure, particularly transferring dozens of folders by drag and drop within a single non-default PST file. I notice that the computer has been very noisy for a while, apparently furiously coping with the changes I've been making. Now when I start Outlook, it opens two windows; presumably that's an outcome of something I inadvertently did when transferring all the folders. I'd rather it ...

macro to sum with offset in 2 cell as other cell changed
I need to create macro with this scenario: F - quantity H - 1 serial I - 2 serial For example some cells: H644 =SUM(I643+1) I644 =SUM(I643+F644) So when I put some number in cell F644, sums correctly calculated, then one by one cell as i enter some in F Thank you. is this macro correct for this operation? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("F:F")) Is Nothing Then With Target If .Value <> "" Then ..Offset(0, 2).Value = Cells(Target.Row...

need to make cell blank if no data in that row
I have a data in columns, I want data to be shown only if there is data in that row if no data then leave it blank (here is what I am asking for) Stock trade Gain/Loss Gain/Loss all trades abc 4.18% 4.18% def 3.77% 7.95% [no trade] N/A 7.95% [no trade] N/A 7.95% i want trade column to appear blank in cell of gain/loss for all trade instead of showing 7.95%. if no trade made If there is no data but the formula is in column, third line shows 7.95%, 4th line shows 7.95%, 5th line 7.95...