Comma Delimited (CSV) Files

How can I save an excel file as a comma delimited (CSV)
file, BUT still maintain a format that allows for 15-digit
credit card numbers?  These usually require special cell
formatting (ie text or number) that get lost when saved as
a CSV file.

My understanding is that saving as CSV saves all formats
as "General." The result is a file that displays credit
card numbers in scientific notation (3.71528E+14)!!  This
doesn't work for batch uploading to process credit cards.

What can I do to have a CSV Excel file that actually
displays 15 digits!?

Jerel

If you just reformat the cell (whole column) as Number with 0 decimal points,
won't it be ok?

But I thought that you'd have to reserve 16 digits for a lot of credit cards.

And this is where you're going to have trouble.  Excel will only keep track of
15 significant digits.  (you'll end up with a 0 in the one's position for those
16 digit numbers.)

If you treat your numbers a text (leading apostrophe or preformatting the cell
as text), then you can save as .csv and see the 16 digits.  But if you import to
excel, excel will see the digits as numbers and only keep 15 of the 16 (turn
that one's digit to 0).

If you rename your .csv file to .txt, you can File|open it, then specify that
that field is text and it'll be ok.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Lotus 123 files in XL 2007
I have an ancient Lotus 123 file (.wk1) that used to open fine in Excel 2002 but will not open in Excel 2007. Is there a way to make XL 2007 recognize it? Jeff On 5/19/2010 10:41 AM, Jeff@nospam.fake wrote: > I have an ancient Lotus 123 file (.wk1) that used to open fine in Excel > 2002 but will not open in Excel 2007. Is there a way to make XL 2007 > recognize it? > Jeff Solved the problem. Re-installed XL 2002 and saved the file as xls which then opened fine in XL 2007. "J...@nospam.fake" <J...@nospam.fake> wrote... >J...@nospam.fake wrote: ...

How to send bmp file over network?
hi everyone click in here i 've two applications client & server, both developed using CSocket in vc+ client application : requests the desktop capture of the system where server is runnin server application : captures the desktop as bmp file and send it to client iteratively here the problem is how to send bmp file to client application through sockets, since i got captured desktop as bmp file thx in advanc Dharmara Wouldn't you send it like you would any other file? I don't think network protocols are discriminatory, are they? "Dharmaraj" <anonym...

Opening Office Files
I typically open my documents/excel files/power point by clicking on the file directly. Everytime I do I get the following message: "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Hybrid 2007". This causes a long delay in opening the file and my previous system(XP) did not perform this task. My new system is Vista. I also have a problem every time I open Outlook, it starts installing Visio and PowerPoint. Any reason why it should do any of these? How do I alleviate these from happening? Thanks, -- Gevan "Gevan" <Gevan@discus...

Triple Quotes when saving to *.csv
When saving the file as *.csv, some text (brought up in notebook) has no quotes around it (i.e. text) and text with quotes around it has triple quotes around it (i.e. """text"""). Any help on how to save an excel file as a *.csv and have all text have double quotes around it (i.e. "text"), when read in notebook? Thank you -- D No idea, but, if it is of any help, the quotes are to protect commas i a csv (comma separated) format - so if you (in Excel) replace all (comma) with .comma. and in your other application replace all .comma with , you shou...

convert publisher 2000 document to .pdf file
I need to know how to convert a publisher 2000 *.pub document into a *.pdf file in windows xp professional. I have a knowledge base article #302835 which tells me how to do it in windows 98, 98se, me, nt and 2000 based computers, but have been able to find nothing on how to do it on xp machine. I've followed the procedures given above, but all I get is an error message. After trying to navigate microsoft's "help" network, I've ended up here. Is anybody out there? You are going to need a program to create pdf files. Everyone has heard of the spendy Adobe Acrobat...

corrupt file or not a money back up file
I know that this has been posted before, but never saw any where the issue was resolved and how it was resolved. I have three sets of back up money files that all give the same error. I had to reload money when my computer crashed. I get the error after I click on *d1.mbf and then hit ok after inserting the second disk. It states that d1.mbf is corrupt or is not a money backup file. I also tried this from the hardrive. Same results Any suggestions please? Thnks, Miss Cammy In microsoft.public.money, Cammy wrote: >I know that this has been posted before, but never >saw any wh...

update.inf file missing
My system has not been able to install MS Updates for some time. I have been trying to solve the problem with the recommendations listed in this group. I have run the bat files listed started and restarted the incryption service with auto on. In the process I have discovered that my system does not have the update.inf file. It isn't present even in a cab file. I will probablyh have to run some process to build it. I have tried to have the auto update installed but that won't happen because the site already sees it installed. Question: what process installs update.inf? I ...

In Excel 2003, how do you export to a .csv file?
I just got Office 2003 and don't seem able to "Save as..." Excel worksheets into .csv files. Help says there are text converters that can be installed, that I should visit the Microsoft Office Web site. I did so and found only the same message. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? When I choose File>Save As, .csv is one of the available options, so it must be available on the Office 2003 installation CD. If you open the control panel, and choose Add/Remove programs, you should be able to add the converters that weren't installed initially. Sally wrote: > I just...

no underline comma
I need to put a comma at the end of an underlined phrase in Word. I do not want the comma to be underlined. How can I make the underline stay under the phrase and not extend under the comma when I type it? Thanks, Dan Turn off underlining before typing the comma. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "KIOhio" <KIOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A63FFD09-49CA-4C59-8E38-C48608AA9397@microsoft.com... >I need to put a comma at the end of an underlined phrase in Word...

Cannot load files
I am using Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95, Version 3.0. When I try to open some Publisher files which I produced some years ago, I get the message "Publisher cannot load files from a different version." Is there any way round this, please? Most likely, since MS does not support older vervions (beyond 2003), you'll need to upgrade to the newer version. I face a similar problem by having 98 and 2000 versions. I cannot open some .pub files sent to me by another user using a later version. When I try to open it I get a error message saying the file is 'locked&...

creating a JPEG file
Hello all, I am working in VC++ 2005 I need to draw somethig and save it as a jpeg, without showing it on the screen. So in other words, I need to draw on a DC and save the contents of the DC as a jpeg. How do I do this? The CImage class? But how do I exactly do this particular thing with it? Thanks Srishti You can use CImage to that. AliR. "Sonu" <sonu@online.nospam> wrote in message news:EBEFD795-41E3-40AF-8450-FDA03A57720E@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > I am working in VC++ 2005 > I need to draw somethig and save it as a jpeg, without showing it on the > s...

tab delimited text not aligned properly in dos editor
I have opened a comma delimited .txt file into excel I need to save it as a tab delimited text file when I open it in dos editor, the data is not aligned properly. I have some of columnA data in ColumnB etc. Is there a maximum width? My longest data is 12 digits long. I've even padded emty cells with bogus data thinking that was the problem but it's still not lining up properly. thanks in advance. JD, I don't think there's any guarantee that tab-delimited data will line up in an editor, unless it has tab stops that are known to be far enough apart for the largest field ...

Writing to an xml file
A code snippet from an xml file that I want to edit: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ROOT> <WEB> <THEME>Default</THEME> I am trying to replace the 'InnerText' - Default with the text present in a textbox 'txt1'. How do I accomplish the above? Thanks in advance. Something like the following should get you going: XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument(); doc.Load(yourfile); XmlNode root = doc.DocumentElement; XmlNode theme = root.SelectSingleNode("/WEB/THEME"); if (theme != null) { theme.InnerText = txt1.T...

How do I export a csv file from Excel with fields enclosed in dou.
is this possible? I'd also like it to import from such a file and retain leading zeroes, but I can overcome this by formatting the relevant column with a custom format after import. But I need to save the file back to comma separated text with the fields enclosed by double quotes. I'm using Office 2000. Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <5E7F9DA7-7D9D-4226-A377-219A98D27FDC@microsoft.com>, mk_webman <mk_webman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is this possible? > I'd also like it to import from such a file and r...

How can I store file in SQL back end
Hi, I want to create a file management DB to manage file for my unit. I have a table having ID (Int) and FileContent (varbinary(MAX)). From Access how can I save file to FileContent field? SF On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:03:23 +0700, "SF" <samnangs@pactcambodia.org> wrote: That may not be the best idea. Check the SQL 2008 Books Online on the topic "FILESTREAM Storage". -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi, > >I want to create a file management DB to manage file for my unit. I have a >table having ID (Int) and FileContent (varbinary(...

Help with a PST file
Two years ago I archived some messages that were old. I called the file "Email from Joe before 123103.pst" The file is 66,032 kb in size. I am trying to open it by File/Outlook Data File/ and choosing the file. All I get is "Archive Folders" being added with Deleted Items and Search Folders as subfolders. Can someone help me import the messages from Joe? Are you certain you are migrating to the correct PST file when you open it? You failed to state your Outlook version or in what view you are trying to view this file. Make sure you use Folder List view so you ca...

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
I restarted my 2003SB Server today and now the HTTP protocol on my Exchange 2003 HTTP virtual server is not running. When I try to start it, I get the following message. ================== Cannot create a file when that file already exists. Facility: Win32 ID no: 800700b7 Exchange System Manager ================== Cant access via OWA. Any ideas? ...

Open File: Sorting of folders problem
Hi, I am having a problem when I go into File | Open within Excel 2002 and the folders don't appear to be sorted in any particular order. If I go into Word, Powerpoint, or Outlook then the folders show up in alphabetical order. I have Office 97 plus the upgrade for Excel 2002 installed on my win2k system. I have also installed all the updates to Excel 2002. Any suggestions? Thanks. Best Regards, Jim Reisz Don't trust what's displayed. When you're showing the details, you can click on the header (name, size, modified, etc) and sort it. (and click on it again and sort ...

How do I specify a specific char delimiter for my file, when I sa.
How can/do I specify a specific char delimiter for a file when I save it? One possible solution http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Mystic Vampyr" <Mystic Vampyr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B18FE66-B36B-445D-B244-62647E432957@microsoft.com... > How can/do I specify a specific char delimiter for a file when I save it? ...

.csv to comma separated
I exported my mailing list in .csv format. When opened in Excel it is a list. I need to add it to a listmanager and the list needs to be comma separated ... me@mydomain.com,you@yourdomain.com,them@theirdomain.net,onandonandon, I can't figure out how to convert ... is it possible? Thanks ..csv IS comma separated. I think it stands for "Comma Separated Values" or similar. Opened in XL it will not have the commas, but if you can find the file and open it in notepad (or some text editor), there should be commas in there, otherwise it is not in ..csv format. XL will import ...

"This file may not be safe" messaage after converting db from access '97 to 2003.
Hi all Have just put a database written under access 97 on a machine with 2003. I got an initial warning message about "unsafe expressions not being blocked" which sugessted I needed to load Jet 4 servicepack 8, which I did. That sorted that but I now get a "this file may not be safe" message and have to click yes to the prompt everytime I open the database to use it. I want to stop the warning coming up, and to do that it seems I need a digitally signed certificate. Is this true? if so, how do I create one and apply it to my database? (I wrote the database) Thanks Pat ...

Opening .doc file
When I receive a file it acts like it is going to open it but nothing ever appears and the window it does open in office stays grey. .rtf files open just fine. Anyone know what settings I should use? ...

Problem with lkbdhlpr files
In my Event Viewer an error occurs each time I start up "Cannot load file "lkbdhlpr" I have tried vaious options to get rid of it Removed and Reinstalled Logitech Software Changed file suffix to .old Located and tried to delete registry entry for "Legacy lkbdhlpr" given an error "Cannot remove" Tried the same thing in safe mode, no change, on reflection, since it is called for by windows, safe mode would probably still call for it. I note that there are 2 kinds of lkbdhlpr file one is .sys the other is .vxd All files with lkbdhlpr in the name h...

Delete ost file?
I get this message when I try to open Outlook: "Outlook 2000. Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The Exchange Server has detected that you are using an old copy of you OST file. Please delete your OST file and create a new one from the server." But I can't find any *.ost or *.OST file on my local hard drive to delete. Anyone know how ti delete? thanks Hi, just go to control panel click on mail , click on view or change existing e-mail accounts , click next , click microsoft exchange server and click change, click on more setting , click on advance tab , there you...

Tool to convert unicode.pst to ANSI.pst file
Hey does anyone know of a tool which can convert unicode.pst to ANSI.pst file. I know of the outlook solution,. But this is in bulk which i needs to import and which exmerge cannot do. Hope someone can help me. -- Manoj " Jack of all trades, master of the moment" On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:48:02 -0700, manoj <manoj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hey does anyone know of a tool which can convert unicode.pst to ANSI.pst >file. I know of the outlook solution,. But this is in bulk which i needs to >import and which exmerge cannot do. > >Hope someone can...