combobox and vlookups?

I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu,
the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related
to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do
to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code).

Thanks.

forum (466)

You shouldn't need code for anything you described here.  Set up the combobox
with the list fill range, if any.  Set the linked cell to the desired cell.
Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell
from the combo box to look through the list desired and return the
appropriate information.

Example:
ListFillRange is H5:H7
Values to return based upon selection are in I5:I7
LinkedCell is F5
Range G5 formula is "=VLOOKUP(F5,$H$5:$I$7,2,FALSE)"

Hope this helps!

""PA via OfficeKB.com"" wrote:

> I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu,
> the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related
> to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do
> to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code).
>
> Thanks.

Chad9044 (93)
7/7/2005 2:03:03 PM
Maybe not quite you are asking, but take a look at
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

""PA via OfficeKB.com"" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu,
> the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is
related
> to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I
do
> to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code).
>
> Thanks.

phillips1 (803)
7/7/2005 2:11:41 PM
Thanks Bob. This is exactly what I want to do (except that the second and
third items aren't dropdowns). Is there a step by step excel tutorial on this?
I've never even created combo boxes so I need something from scratch.

Thanks!

forum (466)
7/7/2005 3:03:26 PM
The example shows Control Toolbox dropdowns and data validation, and both
are very easy.

For Control Toolbar combos, just make sure that toolbar is visible
(Tools>Customize) and then just drag and drop a combobox object onto the
worksheet. For DV, take a look at

 HTH

Bob Phillips

"PA" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Bob. This is exactly what I want to do (except that the second and
> third items aren't dropdowns). Is there a step by step excel tutorial on
this?
> I've never even created combo boxes so I need something from scratch.
>
> Thanks!

phillips1 (803)

combobox
hi i am trying to create a combobox containing a list of names i want the list to default to a "dummy" value when the workbook is opened How do i do this? thanks kevin You would need a macro for that, assume that you use the combo box from the control toolbox, and that the linked cell is A2 in Sheet2 Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A2").Value = "Your_Dummy_Value" End Sub Right click the little excel icon to the left of the filemenu and select view code or press Alt + F11 and double click ThisWorkbook That's where the ma...

Requery combobox
I have a form that includes a combobox that has the following in its on enter event: Private Sub cbProjectPhase_Enter() Me.cbProjectPhase.Requery End Sub The query that is tied to this combox uses another field ("Cost Center") on this form as criteria to select records for this combobox. It works fine except when I go to the next record and click on that combobox it removes what is showing in the previous record's combobox's field because my selection "Cost Center" is different this time. I understand why this happens but I don't know how to get around it. I...

Populate combobox
Hello Why doesn't this populate my ActiveX combobox? Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Dim row As Integer ' Make sure the RowSource property is empty Sheet1!ComboBox1.RowSource = "" Sheet1!ComboBox1.RowSource = "Sheet1!A1:A12" ' Add some items to the ActiveX combobox For row = 1 To 12 Sheet1!ComboBox1.AddItem Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(row, 1) Next row End Sub Change the exclamation point (!) to a period (.) after Sheet1 everywhere except in the row source reference that is within the quote marks. &quo...

Help With Simple Combobox Programming
I have a combo box on sheet1. When the user clicks on the combo box the first time ( it gets focus ) It should add/load all items from sheet2 column A. Now when the user selects from the combobox that item should be copied/placed on sheet1.A5 similarly the next item selected in the combo box should be placed below A6 and so on How can this be accomplished with code thx Hi, Use code like that : Private Sub cboIn_Click() Dim intR As Integer intR = Range("a4").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count Range("a4").Offset(intR, 0).Value = cboIn.Value End Sub Priv...

vlookup or another function?
Hello all, Here's my problem. I have 2 worksheets. The first worksheet contains 6 columns with 77 rows each of data that will increase at some point. Column A on that worksheet is what the rest of the data is referenced to. The second worksheet is setup with 'name define' in cell *I4* to scroll through the data in column A (A2-A77)of worksheet 1. The question is: how do I populate the other 5 fields in worksheet 2 when I use the 'name define' to pick the data?. Here's the breakdown of the cells I'm working with: _worksheet_1_ _w...

Vlookup
Anyway of simulating a VLOOKUP kind of function via Access Queries. For users who are not familiar with VLOOKUP, it functions as follows: Amongst a table of entries (recordset), a certain "input" value is looked up in the first column. The first record where the values match is selected, and via a second parameter the column from which to display the value is selected. Many thanks in anticipation. I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking correctly, so forgive me if this is very rudamentary. in Excel, you are basically wanting the content of a particular cell to ...

combobox into another combobox
i got 2 combo boxes in a worksheet. i want to link the 2 combo boxes together. combo2 will depend on which is selected to the combo1. eg: combo1 - accessories, card, ram list in combo2 will vary on the item selected from the combo1. let say: combo1 - accessories have been selected combo2 - slot fan, usb to ps2 convertor. can someone helps me!!! thxns in advance Hi Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site for lots of information on Data Validation http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal13.html and for the section using Combo boxes http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html -- Regards ...

Filling More than one field a combobox selection
I have a simple Address Form Suburb, State, PostCode Suburb is a combobox linked to a Post code table What I would like to do is for the user to look up Suburb by typing into the combo box and populate the state and postcode fields on selection. Am I going about this the right way? See www.allenbrowne.com. He has an excellent search function exactly like you need. -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "Avid Fan" wrote: > I have a simple Address Form Suburb, State, PostCode > > Suburb is a combobox linked to a Post code table > &...

Help with ComboBox
Hi, I'm using Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet using a ComboBox that allows selection of one of several sets of data. Each set is a 3 column row of data. I have the following properties set: BoundColumn: 2 TextColumn: 1 When a selection is made the ComboBox displays the column 1 value. The ComboBox seems to behave normally, except that when I close and open the file the combox initially displays the value of column 2 (instead of column 1). When a new selection is made it goes back to displaying the column 1 data. Shouldn't it always display the data as assigned by TextColu...

=vlookup
I m preparing invoice for my company which have multiple sheets like Customer List and Pipe Size detail with rate of specific pipe. I want to locate rate of specific pipe in Invoice. For this purpose I m using vlookup function but when in that position second row is blank or same then it returns #N/A. I just want only want that it should be returned blank when row of Pipe detail remain blank. My worksheet have this type of data. A B C D E F G Description No. of Pipes (Qty in Mtr) Total Meter Rate Amount 1 063mm x 4Kg TKT 25 6 150 17.42 2613.00 2 075mm x 4Kg TRN 25 6 150 21.76 3264.00 ...

combobox in vista
hi , guys i meet the the same issue with below http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=ComboBox+in+vista&lang=en&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.platformsdk.shell&p=1&tid=9d3eeb9e-54d2-457d-8fc0-2473b2e2b203 who can tell me how to solve this question, or must wait the next version of mfc welcome any idea. thanks in advance. Doesnt the workaround as mentioned in the thread work for you? -- Ajay "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9722557-9FD2-4193-AE3C-AED94F3162CA@microso...

Vlookup/Indirect Address Question
Hello, I have a quick question. So I have three inputs into a formula. In Sheet1, The values in cells A1, B1, and C1.. I want to output to cell D1 Somewhere in column A of sheet 2 is the value of A1 (to be looked up). Once this value is found, i want the cell next to it or two spaces next to it depending on the value in B1 (of sheet1) The value in cell C1 contains the name of the sheet to lookup a value in. Using Vlookup, this is a pretty straightforward question except that the sheet is not manually chosen. It is dependent on the value in C1 (C1 is the name of the sheet as a string)...

Cascading comboboxes in datasheet, is it possible?
I have 3 tables: 1) Table Projects with autonumber primary key ProjectID, ProjectName (text) 2) Table Activities with autonumber primary key ActivityID, ActivityName(text), ProjectID (foreign key) 3) Table HoursWorked with autonumber ID field, ProjectID, ActivityID and Hours (Number) Tables Activities and Projects are linked. One project can have many activities. In table HoursWorked users insert ProjectID, ActivityID and Hours. This third table is linked to a datasheet form. What I would like to do is to select projects and corresponding activities by using cascading combo boxes in th...

Vlookup #31
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to do a Vlookup on a cell where we find text. For example, if I have in a cell ''January 27th, 2005, airplane, J. Hodgson'' Is-it possible to do a Vlookup to find only Hodgson? I know that I have to do a list with Hodgson inside to be able to find Hodgson but the problem is to find it whn we have something else in the cell. Thank you!!! Maybe some variation of this........... =IF(RIGHT(A1,7)="Hodgson",VLOOKUP(RIGHT(A1,7),YOURLOOKUPTABLE,2,FALSE),"") All on one line, watchout for wordwrap Vaya con ...

datagrid and combobox
Then how to associate a combobox to a datagrid ... Click on the type combobox and so taken with the data shows that this chosen in the combobox Not sure exactly what you're asking, but if it's what I think you can hook into the change notification on the combo box then send a message to your view to set the "grid" or whatever control you want to match the new selection in the combo box. I don't think you would associate them directly, but you could certainly cause a change in the combo box selection to change data in any other view or dialog in your program. To...

incorrect null value in combobox
Hello I have a combo with 2 columns. Everything is set up corectly (bound column, no of columns etc). Rowsource is a query which has 2 columns as well. All goes fine but from time to time, i don't know for what reason, I get the result me.combo.colum(0) or (1) = Null even though I should have not null values (the bound query returns not null values, I have checked) It is intriguing that this does not happen every time and also if I check the value of my combo with me.combo than it returns the correct result not null. Can I get the value of my second column other than...

Combobox
I have a custom control derived from ComboBox that I need to load itself depending on one of its parameter. What event can I use for that? It doesn't seem to have a "OnLoad" event... "Michel Racicot" <mracicot@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:B6C4B10E-FFB9-41E7-AFA9-15101714BE79@microsoft.com... >I have a custom control derived from ComboBox that I need to load itself >depending on one of its parameter. > > What event can I use for that? It doesn't seem to have a "OnLoad" > event... Technicality: There is no...

help on a vlookup please
Hi there i need some help on a vlookup, I just can't seem to get it to work. in sheet 1, B2 I have a name joe blow in sheet 1, A2 I would like their street number (on address sheet) this is what I have tried and keep getting #N/A or blank =IF($B2>0,VLOOKUP($B2,address sheet!$A$1:$O$139,1,FALSE )," ") address sheet colmn A has the street number address sheet column B has their name street numbers are formated as numbers any ideas? regards Ditchy Ballarat, Australia Hi, Try this =IF($B2>0,VLOOKUP($B2,'address sheet'!$A$1:$O$139,2,FALSE ),"...

Conditional vlookup
I have a named Range "Price" Ihave the folowing formula that works fine =IF(B3>0,VLOOKUP(B3,Price,3,FALSE),"") Except in column A I have a Manufactures name. Column B contains the part number. I want to only use vlookup on range "price" for matches to column a What is the best way to handle this? Thanks Saved from a previous post: If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a third), you could use: =index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100, match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100) *(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0)) (all in one ...

vlookup code not working right
I have 4 workbooks tied together with links. For one column of the Paycheck Calculator I have a VLOOKUP to match the date in that row to the date in the Payroll Master workbook. Here's the formula =IF(VLOOKUP($A63,'[Payroll_Master_Redding_2004.XLS]MAR 04'!$A$8:$Y$40,22,TRUE)<>0,VLOOKUP($A63,'[Payroll_Master_Redding_2004.XLS]MAR 04'!$A$8:$Y$40,22,TRUE),"" The reason for the IF...<>0... is so that if there isn't anything there it stays blank. That value can be either + or -, thus the <>0. Works fine when I created it with Excel XP, but when I s...

cascade combobox with one combobox in a subform
I have a form with a subform. The formfPerfEmissionGua) has a field called FuelClass. (Gas,Liquid,Duel,Multi) The subform(fPerfEmissionGuaDetails)is based off of a table called tFuel with the fields... FuelID -- GasLiquid -- FuelName 1 -- Gas -- Propane 2 -- Gas -- Buthane 3 -- Liquid -- JetA 4 -- Liquid -- Crude The subform is used as a dropdown choice of the above fields. It is a contiguous form. I would like to be able to choose the FuelClass - Gas in the main form, and the sub form drop down only show the fuels for Gas only (Pro...

combobox Question #2
I have a combobox which I am using to show upcoming meetings. What I would like to happen is if someone types in a date for this to show all the items on the page with that date. Is this possible The page is called "meetings" combobox rowsoure is from a2:e56536 Thanks Greg You could do an advanced filter on the data to another range, and link to that range. Recording a macro should get you the code. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Greg B" <laptopgb@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:df9mg0$24s$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... >...

If and Vlookup
I am trying to get a vllook up to be conditional if a certain criteria is met. I have tried =IF('Raw Data'!B$2=AB,(VLOOKUP($A4,'Raw Data'!$A:$A,7,FALSE),0) Raw Data is the sheet that I need information from. I need the formula to look in colum b and determine if the value is AB or CF. If it matches AB I need it to do a vlookup based on the customer number in column A of that row and return the value in colum 7 . I need to be able to drag this formula vertically and horizontally. Please help. Thanks If you're looking for the text "AB", you ...

ComboBox
I am use to add a two dimensional array to a combobox to populate it, like this combobox.list=array(). In Excel I couldn't do that, the combobox only has the ListFillRange property. Is there a way of doing this without using the FillRange prop.? how about: Option Explicit Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() Dim i As Long Dim j As Long Dim myArray(1 To 3, 1 To 2) 'set your values For i = 1 To 3 For j = 1 To 2 myArray(i, j) = i & "--" & j Next j Next i With Me.ComboBox1 .ColumnCount = 2 .List = myArray End With End Sub JLon...

Nested if 10 / Vlookup
I am working on a Scheduling program for a counseling center. Thi center has 10 + therapists and 20 + clients. The plan is for th manager to only have to enter the clients name into the therapist page and to have the therapists name auto populate into the clients page. can get this to work fine with 7 therapists (the limit for nested i statements) but I cannot figure out how to get vlookup or any othe function to work. ohh by the way the or() statements are used because there are possibilities for the clients name to be entere (CLIENT/CLIENTc/CLIENTp) Code ------------------- =(IF...