Combo box or list box

I can't figure out why the linked cell only returns a # value of the
selected cell in the range. I just wanted it to return the actual text
of the selection. I would think this would be the default, but I know
nothing.

Please help this is really frustrating.

--
famdamly
famdamly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29382

Hi!

Well, that's how they work! You can use a Match or Lookup formula to get the
actual value

Maybe a data validation drop down list is better suited to what you need.
Look in HELP under DATA VALIDATION LIST. Need more details to make any
further suggestions.

Biff

"famdamly" <famdamly.21g72m_1136945400.4732@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:famdamly.21g72m_1136945400.4732@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I can't figure out why the linked cell only returns a # value of the
> selected cell in the range. I just wanted it to return the actual text
> of the selection. I would think this would be the default, but I know
> nothing.
>
> Please help this is really frustrating.
>

> --
> famdamly
> famdamly's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29382
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500004

0
biffinpitt (3171)
1/11/2006 2:47:49 AM
(Presuming your earlier post, with response by RD is related to this one)

Assuming you're using a combo box from the Forms Toolbar,
with the settings:

Input range:  $B$1:$B$3
Cell link:         $A$1  (linked cell pointing to A1)

where
> B1=red
> B2=white
> B3=blue

Put in C1: =INDEX($B$1:$B$3,A1)
(just a slight mod of the formula suggested by RD in your earlier post)

C1 will return "directly" the selection made from the combo box's droplist
Eg: select "white" from the droplist, and "white" will appear in C1

(We could hide away cols A & B for a neater look, of course)
--
Max, Singapore GMT+8, xl97
Samples archive at: http://savefile.com/projects/236895
"famdamly" <famdamly.21g72m_1136945400.4732@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:famdamly.21g72m_1136945400.4732@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I can't figure out why the linked cell only returns a # value of the
> selected cell in the range. I just wanted it to return the actual text
> of the selection. I would think this would be the default, but I know
> nothing.
>
> Please help this is really frustrating.
>

> --
> famdamly
> famdamly's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29382
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500004

0
demechanik (4694)

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

creat an address list for mail merge
I am trying to creat an address lis for mail merge. Microsoft office publisher this operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures please help. Also can not connect to the data source What version of Windows and Publisher are you using!!! Use a Spreadsheet and do a Save As CSV (Comma Separated Values) -- ...

how do i view different mail boxes
I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? btoonhoule <btoonhoule@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I > choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? Using IMO or C/W mode? -- Brian Tillman ...

Concatenate Multi-Select List Box Items
I need to use the chosen items in a multi-select List Box as concatenated text in another control on a subform. This text will be part of a large amount of concatenated text. How do I do this? I did find info here about using such items in a query but it was way over my head and I couldn't figure out how to convert that idea to this issue so please don't just refer me to that w/o some other explanation for this novice. For example, if the user selects: Frt Bumper, Grille, & Headlamp in the List Box, I want to then somehow concatenate those selections into a sente...

Filtering a combo box using a combo box
All, I am trying to filter the records from a table displayed in a combo box using a combo box on the same form. I built a query and set the criteria as Me![FormName]![Combo_box]. This allowed me to filter the list, but it did not do exactly what I wanted. When the first combo box is blank, the second one is also blank. Is there anyway I can get the second combo box to display all of the records when the first box is blank? Thank you for your help. Regards, John Try a criteria in the second combo of: Like Forms!YourFormName!Combo1Name & "*" -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http:/...

How to prevent list item selection
I'm having one of those blond moments (no offense to any blonds). I have a simple list box to display information. I want to immediately unselect any item that is selected. None of the obvious items I've tried worked. Any suggestions? Set the value to -1 "Robert Flanagan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23wM31jHeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm having one of those blond moments (no offense to any blonds). I have > a simple list box to display information. I want to immediately unselect > any item that is sel...

colour change of dated box

Combo Box on Forms
Hi, I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being Other. If the user selects other I want them to be able to input what they want so that it will go into the table instead of just the "Other". I just am not really sure on how to do that. Can you help? Thanks, Jaime In design view click on VIEW - Properties and the the combo. Then change Limit To List to No. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "jseger22@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being > Other. If the use...

sent box
how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? -- deb deb wrote: > how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? Add/remove whatever columns you want. Right-click on the header row and select Field Chooser. i may have not explained myself too well i dont want to sort by the "to" column i want the header on the email to show "to" not "from" i think the problem might be that this is not the default sent file, its just a folder named "sent" its for my boss, he ha...

Is it supposed to be like this?
Hiya, I was wondering if I was supposed to have so many inboxes. Is that what you have? There is mail in the inbox that isn't in bold, but it could be moved, and not that important...... Thanks... On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:17:10 -0800, moochito@invalid.hotmail.com wrote: >Hiya, > >I was wondering if I was supposed to have so many inboxes. Is that >what you have? > >There is mail in the inbox that isn't in bold, but it could be moved, >and not that important...... > >Thanks... The attatchment didn't upload before. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:17:10 -080...

Combo Boxes
Someone sent me an Excel document where each of the cells in I1:I312 are combo boxes. When you click off of those cells, the down arrow disappears. The list for the combo boxes are cells AA1 and AB1 (AA1 is New and AB1 is Existing). Please explain how this was done? Also, can you please tell me if it is possible to make New and Existing autocorrect entries. So even though the choices are New and Existing, if you hit N, New appears, and if you hit E, Existing appears. Thanks!! It sounds like Data|Validation. Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVa...

Separator in combo box
hi, Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something like a separator in menus? thanks, Behzad Try :- http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/zsepcmb.asp http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/customcombo.asp -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com /* MVP tips tricks and essays web site */ http://blog.voidnish.com /* My blog on C++/CLI, MFC, Whidbey, CLR... */ "behzad" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:%23fVB3em5EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something > like...

Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc
Hi wht im trying to ask is.. 1. In my application, all the labels r in english only. 2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese language , [Text box value is the title for another dialog] 4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in japanese or chineese language. Note: I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire application.. so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit --text boxes.. Plz reply They do. You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font that has Chin...

Text boxes on graphs
How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The grid lines are still visible and run through the text box, cluttering it up. Thanks right-click text box choose -- 'Format Text Box' from shortcut menu colors and lines tab change fill color to white Warm Regards, Crystal remote programming and training Access Basics 8-part free tutorial that covers essentials in Access http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace * (: have an awesome day :) * Drew wrote: > How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The > grid line...

Not In List
I have a Form called Assets, on this form I have a field called LOSS PAYEE ID, this is an actual field name on my table called Assets which the form is created from. The field looks the LOSSNAME from my LOSSPAYEE table to give me a list of names on my form. My LOSSPAYEE table also has fields called address, phone, fax postal code & contract/loan #. While I am in my Assets form I would like to be able to type in a new LOSSNAME and have a seperate form pop up so I can enter the phone, address, etc info for the new name I just entered. Can anyone help me with this? On my website (w...

Multiple Combo Boxes Highlighted
Hi, I have a problem with something in VB6. I have 4 combo boxes with individual names (not an array) located on an SSTab object. When I select another tab and then return to the tab these boxes are located on, each of them appears to be highlighted in blue. I add values to them only when loading the form so I'm at a loss as to why this happens ? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jen. "Jennifer Ward" <jward@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eq5HrcBrKHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a problem with someth...

HELP !! Combo box to feed other combo boxes
Hi, I have a form with a stock list. One field is [Dealer Allocated] so stock can be allocated to a specific dealer - this is a combo box (combo1) for single allocations. I now also want to be able to update this combo box for several records in bulk. I thought I would do this by having a second combo box in the footer of the form which the user selects the dealer from and then clicks a button which looks for first record without dealer allocated and updates the value of combo1 to the value of combo2. This would then be enclosed in a Do Loop for specified number of records. I can...

list mails sorted on date, independent of subfolder structure of INBOX
I hav e a lot of mail rules that sort incoming mails in subfolders of the INBOX. But now I want to see a list of all mails, sorted on date, independent of the folder structure of the INBOX. Possible ? how ? If you're using Outlook 2003, set up a search folder. If not, use = Advanced Find.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 <Osiris>...

Set Text Box Control To Blank
I have a procedure that executes on the beforeupdate event of a textbox (text24). The procedure works out the checkdigit for the number entered and if there is a discrepancy, a message box appears telling the user the number is wrong. What I'd like to do is modify the code as such so that when a discrepancy is found and the user clicks ok on the message box, focus is returned to (text24) and set to blank so that the faulty number is gone. Here is the code I am using.... It's quite crude as I'm only at beginner level, but hey, it works! Private Sub Text24_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Int...

Populate field based on combo box
I know this shouldn't be so hard - but I'm having a brain ... or something! On a form, I would like to select a District Number from a combo box and have the District Name appear in a text field. My form is based on a query. I know somehow I need to add criteria to my query to point to the info in the combo box but I'm not sure exactly where to put this criteria. Should the combo box field for the District Number on the form be based on the Districts table or is this the field that comes from the query? Or is it the District Name field that comes from the query? I have neve...

Flag box
Is it possible to add some flagbox in a column? How? Thanks Rossella Depends on what you mean by a flagbox. If you mean some sort of indicator, you could put Y or N in a column (X or leave empty??) and use data|filter|autofilter to "flag" certain entries. Rossella wrote: > > Is it possible to add some flagbox in a column? > How? > Thanks > Rossella -- Dave Peterson I meant the square with the x on it ..sorry if my explanation wasn't enough I find this technique pretty easy... Select the range Format|cells|number tab|custom category In the "type:&qu...

text box margin settings
I've changed the text box margins, saved the file and closed the file. But when I reopen the file, the changes are not there. What gives?!? don The text box margins in an EXISTING text box have changed? Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org >-----Original Message----- >I've changed the text box margins, saved the file and >closed the file. But when I reopen the file, the changes >are not there. What gives?!? > >don >. > This issue is unknown in Publisher any version. If you mean it is not saving the defaults on next Text F...

combo
have placed a subform, which gives the Price. It is based on the Query. I have given a criteria in the query like [forms]![mainform]![productid]. So, when I select a product from a combo box, on the main form, I should see the price on the subform. The problem, is it does not refresh. It still shows the same price for the earlier product. But, when I move, it gets refreshed. Can I have a code , so that I should see the price as soon as I select the product from the combo box . On the After Update event of your combo box put the following: [Forms]![frmMainForm]![sfrmSubfo...

Address list problems
I am receiving loads of these error messages. LDAP returned the error [32] Insufficient Rights when importing the transaction dn: CN=Recipient Update Service (Enterprise Configuration),CN=Recipient Update Services,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=holtswell,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=holtswell,DC=LOCAL changetype: Modify msExchReplicateNow:FALSE I have found this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254030 I checked the write permissions on the exchange enterprise server group and can confirm I have 4 entries with write permission th...

Combo Box Selection 06-18-07
I have a form that has 3 subforms. The main form has a combobox with selection for Groups. According to the selection of the Group - the subforms should show info for that group. In the Second Subform - this shows Group Details - there is a combo box for Section - where stock from the group will get transferred to the selected section. The choice for Section here should also show in the next subform.ComboBox Section. As inthe next subform this shows Section Details. At the moment - the Section Selection in SectionDetails subform is not updating the value that has been selected. Please hel...