Combining Text and numbers from two cells

Hi all

please help

i have a cell with a number such as 6000 (a1) and another cell with a
text aaa- and i would like to combine them in another cell to make
aaa-6000, could somebody please help me with a formula?

thanks
Andrew

--
koba
koba's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28639

Hi!

Try this:

A1 = 6000
B1 = aaa

=B1&"-"&A1

Biff

"koba" <koba.1zwtbm_1134361504.8695@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi all
>
> please help
>
> i have a cell with a number such as 6000 (a1) and another cell with a
> text aaa- and i would like to combine them in another cell to make
> aaa-6000, could somebody please help me with a formula?
>
> thanks
> Andrew
>

> --
> koba
> koba's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28639
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492631

0
biffinpitt (3172)
12/12/2005 4:40:16 AM
If the text "aaa" is in cell b1 then type the formula below in the cell
you would like to concatenate the information into.

=B1&"-"&A1

Hope this helps
Ed

--
nuver
nuver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10036

Assuming aaa- is in B1 then try:
=B1&A1

Hope this helps
Rowan

koba wrote:
> Hi all
>
> please help
>
> i have a cell with a number such as 6000 (a1) and another cell with a
> text aaa- and i would like to combine them in another cell to make
> aaa-6000, could somebody please help me with a formula?
>
> thanks
> Andrew

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
koba
koba's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28639
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492631

Text to columns question
I have some data in the following format: Number firstname lastname schoolname The first three fields are one word each. Schoolname can be more than one word. I'm trying to parse the data using the data -> Text to Columns wizard, but I cannot figure out how to tell the wizard that there are only 4 space delimited columns in my data and not 5 for those instances where the schoolname is two words. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. On Jan 22, 9:50 am, MikeB <MPBr...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have some data in the following format: > > Number firstname lastname schoolname >...

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Restart numbering ater a set number of rows
I have an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns. the first two columns contains numbers which will never change the third column starts off with 0 (zero) and is repeated for 255 rows then on the 256 row it needs to change to 1 (so basically increment by 1 every 255 rows) the fourth column starts at 0 (zero) and counts up to 255 but then needs to reset it self back to 0 on the 256 row. Help Please!!!!!:confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: I...

Word as a Text Processor in Outlook w/ Exchange
Hi! Sice I set up a new Microsoft Exchange Server account in my Outlook 2003 SP2, I can't use any more Word as a text processor to write my e-mails. I only have the HTML option. So I don't have the nice Word feature (real time spell checking, etc.). Too bad... Any idea? Is there something I missed to set up on the Exchange Server? Help appreciated. Nicolas Check from within Outlook. Tools/Options/Mail Format and make sure you have the option to use "Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit my email messages" checked. "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> ...

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

Row Number
I need hellp with a formula. In Cell E8 I need to write a formula that will search Column A rows 18 thru 32 and if it finds the date 09/16/2006 it will display the row number. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dianne You didn't say what result you want if the date is not present. One way... A1 = some date =IF(COUNTIF(A18:A32,A1),INDEX(ROW(A18:A32),MATCH(A1,A18:A32,0)),"") If the date isn't present the formula returns blank. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Dianne" <Dianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

Find/replace with different text colour messes up
When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell instead of just the word that was searched on. To see this in action, try this: 1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet 2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now, let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red. 3.. Open up Search/Replace 4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test 5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test 6.. For the "R...

text in received emails is very small
A friend has Office 2003 and he uses Outlook. He is an older gentleman who's been running his own business for decades, and he uses Excel with lots of tabs in his worksheets. Here's the situation: In changing his monitor from 800x600 to 1024x768 so he can read more of the Excel tabs, the text in the body of his received emails is very small. Headers and folders are normal as well as typed text in created emails. What gives? Jack Did you check the zoom settings? HTML sizes can be changed on the view menu, plain text in tools, options, mail format, stationery and fonts. Or ...

One element correspond with two or more types?

text function question
Hi all, Hopefully my confuse is not so difficult to help. I have text arrays in column A2:A100 (much datas) which are filled with "n" and such as "loose end", "soft". I want in the column A1 is containing the text excludes "n". Due to of my poor function knowledge i tried to use CONCATENATE function but this is too long ..what should i use the proper formula. txs in advance 4 any helps One guess .. Assuming you want to extract text within A2:A100 that does not contain the letter "n", give this set up a try: Put in B2: =IF(A2=""...

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

Adding ", " to concatenated text
I have a control that is to display in the On Enter event, a concatenated sentence including the users choices in a multi-select list box. The code is mainly from nice people here which I've taken bits from and added to and it almost works except for getting a comma and space between the entries. Here is the result I'm getting: "There is damage to A/C systemCooling systemDecklid/tailgate,." I want it to be: "There is damage to the A/C system, Cooling system, Decklid/tailgate." Here is my code: Dim varRow As Variant, strText As String strText = vbNull...

Changing worksheet cells from inside a function
Hi The following code in VB (excel 2000): ----------- start code function f(x as double) as double cells(1,1) = "A" f = x + 2 end function ----------- end code produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet. The offending line is: cells(1,1) = "A" Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside a function ? But macros do it. What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ? Best greetings Antek, Warsaw, Poland -- remove SPAM before onet.pl antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl Hi Antek, A function, when used in a worksheet, cannot change or alter an...

Incrementing Cell Numbers
All: I have created an excel "Workorder" form for our employees to write in what machine they are working on, what parts they used, and how long they spent on the repair... The problem... I need to print out hundreds of these forms for the men to use, and each copy of the form needs to have an unique number. Is there a way to program a cell to automatically increment by 1 every time it is printed? Again, I need to print hundreds at a time, and I need them to automatically increment by 1. TIA, Lance Place this in ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel ...

Sum of numbers
I have a report that pulls numbers from one main table and 4 linked tables. The report is fairly basic showing a product quantity x price = total. The quanity value comes from one of the 5 tables. Here's the problem. My report needs to show 5 products, or one from each table. Howver, the customer may not be a customer for a product in table 5 so it is not listed in that table...therefore, no data to pull. I was hoping the control source would display a Zero value for the quanity. It displays nothing. So I end up with: 5 x 2.00 = 10.00 7 x 1.50 = 10.50 3 x 2.00 = 6.00 7 x 3.0...

Incoming e-mails only in plain text
I have just started using Outlook as my mail / contacts / diary client and have hit a problem. For some reason it is only displaying incomin e-mails as plain text. My previous clients had no probs showing th more complex ones (?HTML) with pictures and flashy bits. Now all i just plain. I have scoured the options menus to see if something ha been switched off; I have set the outgoing text format to HTML; but al to no avail. Even the smileys I send come back simply as hyperlink when people reply ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~Vi...

two fields automatically need to come up!
Access 2003 - After creating a table, I can type in the first field and if I have already used that student name, it automatically comes up and I can just press enter. I would like the second field to come up automatically as soon as the first field name is complete so I can press enter also - the first field is the student name and the second field is the student ID #. In other words, I would like the two fields to come up together automatically and I just have to press enter. How do I do this? Goldie What you are describing sounds suspiciously like what happens in Excel.. Access ...

SUMIF with two criteria??
I would like to sum values for all rows where the value in column B 'F' AND the value in column C = 'X' I don't seem able to use SUMIF whe I have 2 criteria that need to be met for summing as opposed to jus one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Chas -- Potatosalad ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Potatosalad2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2083 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47921 Use the SUMPRODUCT function: =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

number of emails per day
Is there a way to monitor Outlook 2007 usage statistics, such as avg number of emails sent/received per day? ...

Can I format an entire row based on the value of a single cell?
I would like to use the conditional formatting feature to format an entire row rather than just a single cell. For example: If the cell value = "Total" then the entire row is bold. select your range (multiple rows???). Then with A3 (say) the activecell in that selection: format|Conditional formatting formula is: =$a3="total" apply a nice format LTShelley wrote: > > I would like to use the conditional formatting feature to format an entire > row rather than just a single cell. For example: If the cell value = "Total" > then the entire row is bo...

Combining Publications
Can I combine two different publications into one? Suzi wrote: > Can I combine two different publications into one? ========================================= Personally, I would simply open two instances of Publisher (one document in each) / tile the two screens...and copy/paste. Maybe the following link will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://tinyurl.com/2lpj5w -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that wo...

How do you force another line in a text box?
When using text boxes. how do you force another line when character spacing reaches a certain point. A text box is a single line. Full stop. A text area will automatically wrap when the user types to the end of the visible space - this does not, however, add a line feed. To add a line feed after a preset number of characters, as I said in an earlier post, you need server side scripting which parses the data, and adds the line feed at the required intervals. Of course, this is complicated by needing to account for spaces between words - and avoiding the line feed in the middl...