combine 4 file into one

I have one excel file.  This file consists of Item Number,
Description, Quantity, Unit Cost and Extended Value.  I
send this file to 4 users in various locations so they can
open in the MS Excel. The users will count how many
quantity they have for each Item number.  The user then
saves and sends the file back to me.

My question is how do I combine four files from 4 users
back into one file with the quantity update and other
fields remain unchanged.  For instant, User A count 4 for
the item 12345, User B count 2 for the item 12345, User C
count 1 and User D count 0. How do I combine 4 files from 4
users so the result of quantity count for Item 12345 is 7

Thanks

0
anonymous (74719)

Hi Kyle

not sure if this is the best option but as long as no one has inserted or
deleted columns or rows it could work for you
open your originial file and the other four
in the first of the four select the areas that have been updated (use the
control key to select non-adjacent cells) and copy it
then in your original file, click on the first cell of the range you
selected and choose edit / paste special ADD
repeat for the other three files

to speed up the process in the future, before you send the file out to the
four recipients, range name the area that will need to be combined  ... then
when you get them back you'll only have to choose the range name, copy &
paste special the results. (feel free to post back if you'ld like more
details on how to do this).

Alternatively, you could check out Data / Consolidation and see if it does
what you want.

Cheers
JulieD

"Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have one excel file.  This file consists of Item Number,
> Description, Quantity, Unit Cost and Extended Value.  I
> send this file to 4 users in various locations so they can
> open in the MS Excel. The users will count how many
> quantity they have for each Item number.  The user then
> saves and sends the file back to me.
>
> My question is how do I combine four files from 4 users
> back into one file with the quantity update and other
> fields remain unchanged.  For instant, User A count 4 for
> the item 12345, User B count 2 for the item 12345, User C
> count 1 and User D count 0. How do I combine 4 files from 4
> users so the result of quantity count for Item 12345 is 7
>
> Thanks

0
JulieD1 (2295)
10/23/2004 6:08:12 AM
If you have information on how to do the range name as you
mention, please provide me with details would be appreciated.

0
anonymous (74719)
10/24/2004 9:11:31 PM
Hi Kyle

to create a range name made up of different cells one one worksheet:
click on the first cell you want
hold down the control key
keeping the control key held down click on the other cells you want ... (be
careful, if you get the wrong cell you have to start all over again!).
when you've selected all the cells let the control key go and click in the
name box (little box above the A column, to the left of the formula bar with
the drop down arrow in it ... don't click on the drop down arrow, just in
the middle of the box itself)
type a name for the selection (no spaces, no symbols other than the _ and
less than 255 characters in length)
press ENTER

now click on cell A1
now click on the name box drop down arrow, you should see the name there ...
click on it and the cells that you "named" will be selected for you.

Hope this helps - let me know how you go.

> If you have information on how to do the range name as you
> mention, please provide me with details would be appreciated.

0
JulieD1 (2295)

move/copy folders from one mailbox to another
As an administrator i often have to move information from one person's mailbox to another. I normally attach these user's mailboxes to my profile and then copy or move the folders (ususally subfolders under the inbox). Recently we moved to outlook 2002 and now i cannot do that any more and i can't find out why. The message is "can't copy/move folder. Right click on the folder and look at the permissions ....." Since i can do it using outlook 2000 and not outlook 2002 i cannot understand why i should have to change the permissions (even changing them does not he...

Sorting by Zip+4
We have an excel spread sheet that has one column which contains zip codes. About 60% of them are Zip +4 but the rest of them are only 5 digit zip codes. When we want them to sort so they sort by the first five digits only. It would be nice if the next 4 were in ascending order also but not necessary. Any Ideas? -- Libby Use the Sort feature... Data->Sort. Make sure both your Zip 5 and Zip 4 columns are selected. Then, in the first box titled "Sort by" choose the column with the Zip 5. Then, in the second box titled "Then by" choose the Zip 4 column. This...

how to know the reason of a failure of file opening?
Hi, After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whether it fails because the target file is used by other programs? Your help is appreciated. Tony ::GetLastError() will return the error code. ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED can indicate several types of access failures, but I believe it is the code returned if the file is opened exclusive already (it doesn't have to be another program; even trying to open it a second time in your own app will fail) joe On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:39:52 -0700, May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote: >Hi, > >After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whethe...

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

end of file reached
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp <br> any ideas what this error is ? <br> and how to cure On 1/27/10 9:56 AM, in article 59bb1b90.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "markc0@officeformac.com" <markc0@officeformac.com> wrote: > when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp > any ideas what this error is ? > and how to cure The file that has reached it's end is often the preferences file. Move the 'Microsoft...

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

excel formula #4
I have in column A1:A365 all dates of the year 2005 and in colum B1:B365 the days of that date. In column D1:D365, E1:D365 and F1;F365 I fill in a X for every actio Succeeded. SO if it is 1 January 2005 and the action in D1 and E1 and F1 are al succeeded I fill in those fields an: X I have in a cell a formula what checks how many % (procent) succeede of the fields who are filled. But when it is December he also calculates the X that are filled in A etc. Now I would like to make a formula which calculates how many action went good in the last 30 days is this possible? So that he only chec...

NewsMaestro Usenet Supertool v. 4.4.8 for Windows/Linux/Unix released
Download page: http://rapidshare.com/files/118192521/NewsMaestro_4.4.8_Src.zip (Hit Free button to download. For some download managers you need to open the .html file it downloaded to do actual download.) * Documentation update. * Bug fix in Archive 2 HTML generator while doing ReChapter. News Maestro is a power tool for usenet that automatically performs any standard Usenet operation, as specified in various RFCs, individually, or in bulk, on any number of groups and articles, utilizing sophisticated filters to select the articles to be processed. As an automated tool to do anything you...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

One use licence
I have purchased a one use student/teacher copy of Microsoft office 2007 from my colleges IT department. My laptop has recently developed a serious fault and will need to be replaced. I still have the disks and I was wondering, if i remove the program from my old laptop will i be able to install it on my new machine. If so what would I need to do? On 2/28/2010 8:05 AM, Mr Random101 wrote: > I have purchased a one use student/teacher copy of Microsoft office 2007 from > my colleges IT department. My laptop has recently developed a serious fault > and will need to be...

Vlookup question #4
i have on sheet1 a list of reference data in two columns. column a) has a part code in it and column b) has a piece of data relating to it. in a few examples (infact probably the majority of cases) the code in cell a) is repeated a few times but with different data in cell b) on each occasion. is it possible to do a lookup where it finds and brings back data in column b)on all occasions when a code is found in column a, not just the first of last? does that make sense? cheers Rob Hi you may try downloadind Alan Beban's array functions (http://home.pacbell.net/beban) They'll includ...

I don't want Windows Messenger 4.7
Hello; I have MS Windows XP Professional SP2 and MS Office Outook 2003 and I can't find the way to disable Windows Messenger 4.7 each time I run Outlook, I have "uninstalled" from Windows XP, but although the icon doesn't appear near the clock, I know the process msmsgs.exe is executing. Simply, I like more MSN Messenger 6.2 and when I connect to the Internet, it appears the message: "You have signed in other place..." and it's Messenger 4.7! Thank you. is it disabled in tools, options, others? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yoursel...

Conditional Formating #4
Let me start by saying that I have also posted this on MR Excels forum, and recieved no replies. so... here goes. I am trying to conditionally format a Donut/Speedometer chart. ( I saw it on peltiertech.com) howver I need the actual Donut part to change colos, based on the value input for the needle. Green for A positive and Red for a negative. any ideas? Tempus -- Tempus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tempus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34381 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

document for file I/O with VBA
Hi all, Where can I find a complete document about File I/O with VBA? I find it hard to find in help due to the way it is organized. I want to find ways to deal with files especially ".INI" alike text files using Open, Input, etc. (let me know if there are better ways). The functions I need are to seek lables like [General] and delte or replace data in the section. Thank you, muster <muster@gmail.com> wrote: >Where can I find a complete document about File I/O with VBA? I find >it hard to find in help due to the way it is organized. Access Type Writing Data ...

Upgrade 3 to 4
Hi We are looking at upgrading our CRM 3.0 to 4.0. For a small period we would like to have both systems running in parallel so if V4 has issues we can easily switch back to V3. The plan to make this work is to: - Redeploy V3. Application server will be a new server. The SQL Server will be on a second instance on the same SQL Server. - Upgrade the redeployed V3 to V4. Both environments will be within the same domain. All CRM users should exist in both systems (mapped to their same account). Is this approach possible? Is there any obvious showstoppers with this approach? TJ, your approach ...

test #4
I just entered a question and got an error when I submitted it. I wanted to see if this test made it out there before I tried to reenter my last question again. no reply needed. -- Leila ...

"Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report.
Hi, I am get an "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report. All the symptoms match microsoft support article 819853, except I am using Office 2003 not 2002. Is there a patch for the problem and how do I obtain it. I do need to unprotect and protect the workbook and worksheets, and not corrupt the file. Regards Tim Well I have the same problem. Currently developing an application in Excel (I would do it on SQL Server, but not my decision), so at the moment struggling with the instable environment of VBA in Excel. I do have 2 ...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?aagUpdateBrowseTypeForBRVoiedT=ADRX_returned_DBMS=3A811?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?4?=
hi, When I am trying to post entry from Fixed Assets to GL the following errors will BE occur in Microsoft GP 10.0 "The stored Procedure aagUpdateBrowseTypeForBRVoiedT=ADRX returned the following results: DBMS:8114, Microsoft Dynamics GP: 8114." Kindly help me out to resolve this problem.. ...

Transaction Matching #4
I was doing some data clean-up (from 2005) and noticed I had incorrectly categorized a few transactions, so I went back and corrected them this morning. All these transactions involved a credit card payment that I errornously had entered as a "household" expense, rather than calling it a "transfer: [account]". I went back and changed the transaction in my checking account so it represented a "transfer: [creditcard]". When I did this, like Money should, it created the corresponding entry in my creditcard account. My problem is that I now have duplicated ...

Combining 2 Excel (xls) files
I have 2 xls workbooks with different sheet names and both with different range names. I would like to combine them both into one workbook so that I don't have to re-create all of the range names. Is there a way to do that? -- LAF ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346017 Hi LAF- Open both files (let's call them A & B, and assume A will be your "combined" file). Working i...

Outlook 2000. Trouble importing PST files from another Outlook 2000
I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows on my computer. I have Windows 98, and Office 2000. I made PST files of my curent outlook contacts ..., the reinstallation went fine until I attempted to import the PST file into Outlook. While using the Impoert/Export Wizard, just after brousing to the file in question, as soon as I clicked on the "Next" button, I got the following pop up message "Properties for this Information Service must be defined prior to use" Click "OK" When I clicked "OK", I got another message "File ac...

Combining Publications
Can I combine two different publications into one? Suzi wrote: > Can I combine two different publications into one? ========================================= Personally, I would simply open two instances of Publisher (one document in each) / tile the two screens...and copy/paste. Maybe the following link will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://tinyurl.com/2lpj5w -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that wo...

How to Combine Data in Different Columns
Hi Everyone I need help in this issue. I have tried many ways though some wer successful but they were not efficient. I have say 5 columns of data and the data could be on the same rows o all 5 columns or on different rows hence if I need to combine all th data of these 5 columns, I would have to sort or filter each of the manually and copy and paste to a different worksheet or column. This i very tedious and time consuming. I also tried to write a macro to loo for data in one column then put them into another column but i was no successful. However, experts like you guys shouldn't have ...