Color coding the excel sheets

I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs.  I know that you
can individually color code each one by right-clicking.  Is there a way to
have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red,
sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)?  She wants this to launch this way every
time.  Thanks.

Shane
0
Shane (53)

Certainly a workbook_open event could do this but why not just set a
template with the sheets colored as desired>save it>use it..

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs.  I know that
you
> can individually color code each one by right-clicking.  Is there a way to
> have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red,
> sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)?  She wants this to launch this way
every
> time.  Thanks.
>
> Shane

0
Don
11/1/2005 3:04:09 PM
Shane

For all new workbooks to have the color-coded tabs.........

Open a new workbook.  Customize as you wish.  File>Save As Type:  scroll down
to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select.  Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes).
Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for File>New or when you click on the New
Icon on the Standard Toolbar.

Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.  Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also.  It now becomes
the default Insert>Sheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben   Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:57:04 -0800, "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs.  I know that you
>can individually color code each one by right-clicking.  Is there a way to
>have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red,
>sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)?  She wants this to launch this way every
>time.  Thanks.
>
>Shane

0
Gord
11/1/2005 4:44:19 PM
That works for new docs, but what about old documents that have all white tabs?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> Certainly a workbook_open event could do this but why not just set a
> template with the sheets colored as desired>save it>use it..
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs.  I know that
> you
> > can individually color code each one by right-clicking.  Is there a way to
> > have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red,
> > sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)?  She wants this to launch this way
> every
> > time.  Thanks.
> >
> > Shane

0
Shane (53)

CDialog background color
Hello, How can change the background colour of a dialog programmatically? Best regards >How can change the background colour of a dialog programmatically? Handle the WM_CTLCOLORDLG message (OnCtlColor CTLCOLOR_DLG in MFC) and return a brush of the colour you want. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Thanks but it didn't work! here is the code that I wrote: HBRUSH CDialogAppCon::OnCtlColor(CDC* pDC, CWnd* pWnd, UINT nCtlColor) { HBRUSH hbr = CDialog::OnCtlColor(pDC, pWnd, nCtlColor); // TODO: Change any attributes of the DC here // TODO: Return a different b...

how can I remove the fix funtion from my excel 2000??
Anyone that could help me out I'd appreciatte. I have the fix function on my excel and every number i type nmhy it automaticaly appears as nm.hy. It is driving me crazy! thanks a lot P Tools>Options>Edit. Uncheck "Fixed Decimal Places" Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:27:58 -0700, "paul" <paulny89@yahoo.com> wrote: >Anyone that could help me out I'd appreciatte. >I have the fix function on my excel and every number i >type nmhy it automaticaly appears as nm.hy. >It is driving me crazy! > >th...

Excel- orgchart and databases
How do I feed info from a database into an orgchart? Is it possible? ...

Excel Public Misc
I can't find Excel Public Misc in the Newsgroup listings under msnews.microsoft.com. I had Misc selected when my computer froze up and had to reboot. Since then it is gone from my Outlook Express Folders and I can't find it in the newsgroup listings under Excel. Any ideas? Regards, Howard Hi Howard Have you Reset the list in the newsgoup subscriptions list ??? You can also do this if this is not working Add a new news account with the same settings and download the newsgroup list Then delete the old one -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm &...

Color
Hi, I'm a new programmer with C++ We are using VC++6 I'd like to know if it's possible to give a backgroung color to a label (static text) from my code. I want to change the background color of a lable (static text) depending on what the user choose from a combo box color Thanks I think you can subclass your "static class" window and write your own WM_ERASEBKGND message handler.... Something like this: ------%<-----------%<--------------- class CMyStaticText: public CStatic { public: afx_msg BOOL OnEraseBkgnd(CDC *); DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP() } BEGIN_MES...

Create dynamic code by using Reflection
Hi! I have hard to see a situation when I would use the reflection feature to create the code dynamically ? Can somebody give me a hint when this situation would arise ? It's much much easier to create the code in the normal way. //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> wrote in message news:OZ4CzBO9KHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I have hard to see a situation when I would use the reflection feature to > create the code dynamically ? > Can somebody give me a hint when this situation would arise ? > It's much much ea...

How do I get gif files to animate in Excel?
I downloaded a ClipArt .gif file, [insert][picture][from file]. It shows the picture but it does not animate. Please help! Thanks Check out: http://www.xcelfiles.com/AnimatedGif.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I downloaded a ClipArt .gif file, [insert][picture][from file]. It shows the >picture but it does not animate. > >Please help! > >Thanks >. > ...

Protected Sheet, change tab order?
I've created a two page fill in sheet. When protected only certain cells are available for editing. My two pages end up being side by side on the sheet due to columns needed and vertically it would have been a mess. Horizontally I can have 15 columns on page one and 6 columns on page two. My problem is, I would like to be able to tab through the sheet in a certain manner meaning, Tab through all cells vertically in the B columns first then tab through the cells in the E column and then move to page two and tab through row 6, a, b c d e f then row 7, a b c d e f and so on. Is ther...

Automatically Updating Excel Data In Word Doc Inside Excel File
I have inserted a "Word" object icon into an Excel file (Tab 1) and then used paste link to display data updates from other tabs in the same Excel file in the Word document that is in Tab 1. I am looking for a way to have the links from the Excel Tab 1 file that are in the Word file automatically updated and independent of the Excel filename. Problem is that when I put the Word document icon into the Excel file, open it, paste link data from the same Excel file and then rename the Excel file later the links are not automatically reflecting the new Excel name. The new Exce...

Change cell color after processes
In this program which works until I added the .cells color - basically I want to color the cell if it existed and was moved or a different color if the file was not found. I keep getting a type mismatch. The code is below. 'Primary program ' Sub RunThroughList() Dim I As Long Dim Destination As String Dim Lastrow As Long Lastrow = Worksheets(1).Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row For I = 1 To Lastrow MoveFiles Range("A" & I).Value, "P:\Web_ICC\Archive_Test\", I Cells("A", I).Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Next End Sub 'Sub routin...

Color Scheme Disapeared?
Several lines were shaded the standard beige that appears on the color scheme chart when the color chart icon is pressed in Excel 2000. To my surprise ... and for no known reason... all lines shaded with that color changed to a cruddy gray. When I looked at the chart again, where the beige had been is now that crummy gray... as it appears in several other boxes of that chart now. When I place my cursor over those boxes of gray, I get a text reading of "Color Scheme" rather than the name of the color the cursor is on. What the heck happened and how do I get that beige back? Never ...

Multiple Toolbars in Excel 2007
I am trying to learn the ribbon and macros in Excel 2007. I am fairly proficient in Excel 2002. In 2002 I have several toolbars that I turn on and off when needed. In 2007 it appears I can only add macros to the quick access toolbar and only get one quick access toolbar. Is this correct? Does this mean I won't be able to group macros in to toolbars or ribbon tabs to work like I do in 2002? Brad Hi, You can customise the ribbon it just the method is different. Start by having a read on Ron's pages on the ribbon. http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm Cheers A...

"hidden"codes "paragraph" symbol, etc, showing in doc-how delete?
have normally "hidden" codes, such as "paragraph" symbols, "arrow head pointers" and "indentation markers" showing up in MS wWord document previously typed WITHOUT SUCH SYMBOLS SHOWING. How do I get rid of them. They do not show when documetn is printed. But code symbols make editing document a real headache. I know there is some simple key to depress which will send them back into "hiding." But which key ? And how to prevent reoccurences of same 'hidden codes' "popping up" in document. Thanks any help. ...

Code to delete rows excluding Header if not = to
Good morning I have the following code to delete all rows that do not contain the following two variables, in column P, "cw" and "ea". Set ws = ActiveSheet For p = ws.Range("P65536").End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1 If ws.Cells(p, 16) <> "cw" Then If ws.Cells(p, 16) <> "ea" Then ws.Rows(p).Delete End If End If Next It works very well apart from the fact that it deletes the Header row. Please can someone assist me in modifying this code so it does not delete Row 1 (the header row). T...

Advice re: Excel
I have been using Office 97 for several years (primarily Excel and Word) and realize that it is no longer supported by MS, but since it still worked and I couldn't afford to update, I just kept rolling along. Last night however, I attempted to open one of my Excel files and got a notice that some file within Excel couldn't be located and that I should upgrade immediately! Now I can get into some of my files but not others --bummer!! I really cannot afford to run out and purchase a new Office Suite and do not yet feel comfortable using Open Office, do was wondering if I can ju...

how to open 1-2-3 files with excel
I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with excel. I need help. Office File Converter Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cf196df0-70e5-4595-8a98-370278f40c57&DisplayLang=en This includes LOTUS32.CNV, which is the Lotus 123 converter. You should note that you can ONLY OPEN Lotus 123 files with this converter. "Tanmen" <Tanmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAD82E0E-4806-401E-B49F-7365FC64FBC3@microsoft.com... > I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with excel. I need help. Tanmen Wrote: > I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with...

Change border color of active cell??
How can i change the border color of the active cell in Ecell 2004 for MAC?? thanks ...

Help formatting text color based on formula
I have searched the forum and find some things that help but not quite enough. I have a table of numbers. In fact there are 300 rows of 5 colums of numbers. What I would like to do is to change the color of the number if it matches one of 5 other numbers. Example Reference #s 2 6 23 43 48 01 02 09 08 14 06 14 23 43 44 03 11 23 24 52 etc etc etc etc The example list is already populated. When the reference numbers are entered I want any number in the example list that matches any number in the reference list to change to a specified color. Any way to...

re: Changing subject/conversation text color <20061123223842noreply@takethisout.registrme.sent.com>
Never mind. I changed it with "Other Settings, Shade Group Headings". Couldn't change the color, but the color is now black on gray (my system setting) and is a lot better. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Importing data from Outlook into Excel
Hello What I would like to do is import the First Name, Last Name and "Alias" from every email in my Outlook Inbox into an Excel Spreadsheet containing 3 distinct dolumns for the data. We are using Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003, and our organisation uses MS Exchange Servers. If it helps to provide some context, the reason I need to do this is that I am managing a mailbox for an internal journal we produce. Readers wanting to subscribe are asked to send an email to the mailbox and up until now I have been manually going in and looking at their Outlook Properties an...

error code 800705B4
I am running Windows 7 RC on my desktop and I keep getting an error code when trying to install a definition update to Windows Defender. The update won't install sucessfully. -- GIL "GIL" <GIL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FA9B800-2D21-4E18-8513-92AA289BFAD9@microsoft.com... > I am running Windows 7 RC on my desktop and I keep getting an error code > when > trying to install a definition update to Windows Defender. The update > won't > install sucessfully. > -- > GIL Jesus! Drop the RC and buy a copy! Th...

Excel 2007 Change Standard Colors How?
Greetings, I just started Excel 2007. My spreadsheets typically have a lot of cells that are color filled. When I work on a old or new one, I find the light bright color fills of 2003 aren't there as defaults or easy to find without multiple clicks. Is there a way to change the standard colors presented when you click on the paint bucket? Thanks for your help! ...

Field list does not appear in pivot table. How do I fix? Excel 07
I use pivot tables extensively. This week the field list stopped appearing & I can't get it fixed. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm assuming I've changed a setting somewhere that caused this. Have you tried:- PivotTable Tools / Options / Show/Hide group / Field List? "kg1816" wrote: > I use pivot tables extensively. This week the field list stopped appearing & > I can't get it fixed. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm assuming I've changed > a setting somewhere that caused this. ...

color in checkbox?
Any way you can have a checkbox turn a color (fill in black or whatever color) when you click on it instead of a checkmark? -- Thanks, Sharon SHARON wrote: > Any way you can have a checkbox turn a color (fill in black or > whatever color) when you click on it instead of a checkmark? Not with a genuine form-field checkbox (although with an exit macro you could change the checkbox's font color, that's not "instead of a checkmark"). Using the technique at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Add_Toggle_Objects.htm, though, you can make the "checkbox" b...

color code
I have trying to do this, but to no avail. I want cells to change color like: more than 60 days before certain date - they're green 1 - 60 days - they're yellow 0 days and days after - they're red Format | Conditional Format | Cell Value is < A1-60 where the date to check against is in cell A1. Define your Format. Same for the other formats -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Shihachi" wrote: > I have trying to do this, but to no avail. > I want cells to change color like: > more than 60 days before certain date - they're green > 1 - ...