Cntrl find - cannot locate zip codes that start with zero. Possibl

I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes ... I
need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states that
have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as custom or
special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't believe I
can't figure this out ...

Format the Zip code column as TEXT and enter the leading zero normally as
any other character.........then FIND will "find" it...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:8F0C74B4-4C17-464E-9C08-510B5E43A8FE@microsoft.com...
> I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes ...
> need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states that
> have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as custom
or
> special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't believe I
> can't figure this out ...

0
croberts (1377)
3/11/2005 12:18:37 AM
Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.

Excel is trying to find the value you type in.  And if you look at the formula
bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that leading 0.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"CLR" wrote:

> Format the Zip code column as TEXT and enter the leading zero normally as
> any other character.........then FIND will "find" it...........
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:8F0C74B4-4C17-464E-9C08-510B5E43A8FE@microsoft.com...
> > I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes ...
> > need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states that
> > have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as custom
> or
> > special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't believe I
> > can't figure this out ...

Hi,
Sorry, but that isn't a realistic solution. This document will be used by a
large number of individuals/departments ... I cannot expect that they will
all be able to "remember" to do this ... however it does work and if it were
just me I would be satisfied with the answer. However, I see it as a bandaid
to my problem. I do appreciate your answer though.
Thank you.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.
>
> Excel is trying to find the value you type in.  And if you look at the formula
> bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that leading 0.
>
> jjjJackieCalifornia wrote:
> >
> > I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes ... I
> > need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states that
> > have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as custom or
> > special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't believe I
> > can't figure this out ...
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

You can create a mirror copy with help formulas and then copy it and paste
special as values,
I have done that with several thousands of records, to get a zip code
(assuming 5 digit) to text, use

=TEXT(Sheet1!A1,"00000")

then just drag copy across/down as long as needed, won't take long
finally just copy the help sheet and paste special as values in place or
over the old ones

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:CBED3874-8026-4624-B1F3-50A47A687E09@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Sorry, but that isn't a realistic solution. This document will be used by
> large number of individuals/departments ... I cannot expect that they will
> all be able to "remember" to do this ... however it does work and if it
were
> just me I would be satisfied with the answer. However, I see it as a
bandaid
> to my problem. I do appreciate your answer though.
> Thank you.
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.
> >
> > Excel is trying to find the value you type in.  And if you look at the
formula
> > bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that
leading 0.

> > jjjJackieCalifornia wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes
.... I
> > > need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states
that
> > > have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as
custom or
> > > special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't
believe I
> > > can't figure this out ...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
terre081 (3244)
3/11/2005 6:28:20 PM
Hi,
Thanks, but I need them formatted as numbers not text ...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can create a mirror copy with help formulas and then copy it and paste
> special as values,
> I have done that with several thousands of records, to get a zip code
> (assuming 5 digit) to text, use
>
> =TEXT(Sheet1!A1,"00000")
>
> then just drag copy across/down as long as needed, won't take long
> finally just copy the help sheet and paste special as values in place or
> over the old ones
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:CBED3874-8026-4624-B1F3-50A47A687E09@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > Sorry, but that isn't a realistic solution. This document will be used by
> > large number of individuals/departments ... I cannot expect that they will
> > all be able to "remember" to do this ... however it does work and if it
> were
> > just me I would be satisfied with the answer. However, I see it as a
> bandaid
> > to my problem. I do appreciate your answer though.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.
> > >
> > > Excel is trying to find the value you type in.  And if you look at the
> formula
> > > bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that
> leading 0.

> .... I
> that
> custom or
> believe I
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson

Give them a macro that does the find for them.  Put a button from the Forms
toolbar in Row 1 of your worksheet.  Freeze the window so that row 1 is always
visible.

Then assign this macro to that button:

Option Explicit
Sub myFind()
    Dim FindWhat As Double
    Dim FoundCell As Range
    Dim myRng As Range

    FindWhat = Application.InputBox("what's the code?", Type:=1)

    If FindWhat = 0 Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

    If Selection.Cells.Count = 1 Then
        Set myRng = ActiveSheet.Cells
    Else
        Set myRng = Selection
    End If

    With myRng
        Set FoundCell = .Cells.Find(what:=FindWhat, after:=ActiveCell, _
                            LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _
                            searchorder:=xlByRows, searchdirection:=xlNext)
        If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox "Not found!"
        Else
            FoundCell.Select
        End If
    End With
End Sub

======
My real opinion:  Don't sell your users short.  If you tell them how excel
works, they'll get smarter and it'll actually help with other workbooks, too.

Smarter users (usually) makes life easier for everyone.

--

Dave Peterson
0

in message news:F6F27A16-8B55-49E9-B6CE-E4CCE6056FCA@microsoft.com...
> Doesn't work ... I already have data ... thousands of entries ... can't go
> back and put a zero in front of each number, but thanks ...this is a
really
> tricky problem.
>
> "CLR" wrote:
>
> > Format the Zip code column as TEXT and enter the leading zero normally
as
> > any other character.........then FIND will "find" it...........
> >
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3
> >

> > "jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote
> > in message news:8F0C74B4-4C17-464E-9C08-510B5E43A8FE@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes
> > > need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states
that
> > > have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as
custom
> > or
> > > special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't
believe I
> > > can't figure this out ...

0
croberts (1377)
3/11/2005 10:10:54 PM
Hey - thanks! I can't wait to get to the office to try it out ...
I'll reply to post to let you know how it works out. As for your other
opinion, I would normally agree with you and still do on principle, but the
way this company is set up doesn't allow me the access to people I would like
.... if we had a chat about everything that factors in I know you'd understand
why I said what I did ... as for the people I manage - freedom and
encouragement all the way ... I'm never too busy to help someone if they want
to learn something ... a little energy goes a long way with me. Yesterday I
was furiously trying to finish a report and was really in my zone of
concentration when the receptionist buzzed me to ask if I could come up to
see what she was doing in Excel. She was so excited and confident ... very
great to watch people pushing themselves to learn more ... usually just need
a bit of encouragement. Yes, I put my report aside.  This is sometimes the
problem in our virtual world ... something said one way can so quickly be
perceived for something it's not. I have to admit though that I probably
would have reached the same conclusion. Ha!
Again, thank you very much ...
Jackie

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Give them a macro that does the find for them.  Put a button from the Forms
> toolbar in Row 1 of your worksheet.  Freeze the window so that row 1 is always
> visible.
>
> Then assign this macro to that button:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub myFind()
>     Dim FindWhat As Double
>     Dim FoundCell As Range
>     Dim myRng As Range
>
>     FindWhat = Application.InputBox("what's the code?", Type:=1)
>
>     If FindWhat = 0 Then
>         Exit Sub
>     End If
>
>     If Selection.Cells.Count = 1 Then
>         Set myRng = ActiveSheet.Cells
>     Else
>         Set myRng = Selection
>     End If
>
>     With myRng
>         Set FoundCell = .Cells.Find(what:=FindWhat, after:=ActiveCell, _
>                             LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _
>                             searchorder:=xlByRows, searchdirection:=xlNext)
>         If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
>             MsgBox "Not found!"
>         Else
>             FoundCell.Select
>         End If
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> ======
> My real opinion:  Don't sell your users short.  If you tell them how excel
> works, they'll get smarter and it'll actually help with other workbooks, too.
>
> Smarter users (usually) makes life easier for everyone.
>

> jjjJackieCalifornia wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Sorry, but that isn't a realistic solution. This document will be used by a
> > large number of individuals/departments ... I cannot expect that they will
> > all be able to "remember" to do this ... however it does work and if it were
> > just me I would be satisfied with the answer. However, I see it as a bandaid
> > to my problem. I do appreciate your answer though.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.
> > >
> > > Excel is trying to find the value you type in.  And if you look at the formula
> > > bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that leading 0.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Find a string with a text paragraph
Gents, I need your expertise once again, I have a fault log (userform) which has a text box placed on it, for information regarding the fault on hand. However I want to ensure that this text box isn't used for vulgar words etc. I have a list of such words held on Sheets("Data").range(B3:B40") and wish to check this list against the text within the text box. How do i go about writing a function, that will be able to do such a task. your assistance would be most appreciated regards Lee If Not IsError(Application.Match(Me.TextBox1.Text, Sheets(&q...

Find & Replace Q in Excel 2007
I have selected an entire Module and tried to Find & Replace a certain repeated value, but Excel does not do anything. I have actioned the Find feature and it does find the required value, but Find & Replace doesn't seem to work for me. My file is a Excel 2003 vesrion, but my application version is Excel 2007. I have all updates that I can get. I've googled the issue and do see a Fix that was published in October 2007 relating to F & R issues, not sure if its the same issue I am having. Any ideas? You would need the KB number to request the Hotfix from Microsoft. Seanie...

Problem starting different http connections from the same application
Hi, I have a multithreaded application in which one thread sends a request to a web server -and reads the response for a while (which is why its a separate thread). The other thread needs to send data periodically to the server - but this is where I run into problems. In the method that the second thread uses makes a new session , gets a new connection, creates a new http file - but fails to send the data. Looking at the ethereal captures, it seems that the second thread is sending requests through the same tcp connection that the very first request (that hasn't returned yet) we...

Conditional formatting: Colour coding
Hello, I'm trying to set conditional formatting so that my spreadsheet has the following colour code: Cell Value Is equal to ="Low" FORMAT = Fill Green Cell Value Is equal to ="Medium" FORMAT = Fill Yellow Cell Value Is equal to ="High" FORMAT = Fill Red I know this sounds simple, but for some reason it's not working! I have those values in the Conditional Formatting box, but when i type High it doesn't highlight the cell red. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Many thanks, Ensure that you do not have doubled the quotation marks i...

Find/replace fractions
I paste some data into lots of cells and then need to=20 edit/find/replace cells that contain "=BD" or other=20 fractions, substituting the decimal equivalents. The=20 problem is that I can't paste "=BD" into the Edit/Find box=20 in this form. In fact you can't paste anything into this=20 box and if I type in the box "1/2", Excel doesn't=20 see "=BD". Very grateful for any ideas. Many thanks Grayling How did you enter the "�" into your post? Did you maybe use <Alt>0189 ? If you pasted it, and didn't use the above, d...

Advanced Find; open opportunities with no quotes
Hi All, This may seem like a simple question but how do I use the advanced find filter to request: Opportunities that are Open AND that have no linked quotes. The 'no linked quotes' is the bit I am having problems with. I have tried; Opportunities Status = Open Quotes(Opportunity) Quote 'Does Not Contain Data' I have also tried; Opportunities Status = Open Quotes(Opportunity) QuoteID = NULL I have also tried; Opportunities Status = Open Quotes(Opportunity) QuoteID 'Does Not Contain Data' None of the above works. Is what I'm t...

Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet
I have a very large spreadsheet with text entries and would like to set it up so that I could click on a letter, for example, "d" and I'd be taken to the first cell with an entry beginning with "d". I also need to be able to continue to add data to the spreadsheet. I've read a lot of posts and the best solution seems to be setting up a macro. My problem is that I've never been able to record a macro and my attempts to try these in both Word and Excel have failed miserably. I've basically been self-taught in the Microsoft office programs for the past few yea...

error code ox643
when instaling a update kb974417 instalation faild ,and have the error code 0x643 and the same whith the update kb 953295 instalation faild, have error code 0x8007F070 When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "kssmmabner" <kssmmabner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F532B308-9F90-46F5-84AD-8...

VBA coding
I need to mail a reminder twice a day at intervals.this i have done as long as my excel is open and the code which i had put in the code module, Public RunWhen As Double Public Const cRunIntervalhour = 5 Public Const cRunWhat = "mycode" ' the name of the procedure to run Sub StartTimer() RunWhen = Now + TimeSerial(cRunIntervalhour, 0, 0) Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=RunWhen, Procedure:=cRunWhat, _ Schedule:=True End Sub Sub mycode() Dim OutApp As Object Dim OutMail As Object Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") ...

Find and Find Next
I have a form that pulls multiple records based on a combo box and the records are displayed in the form. The user then proceeds to enter data. I want to set up as part of my closing of the form a find record that matches certain criteria and the cursor goes to that record. The criteria is "ChkUnaccept = Yes and TxtOccur = 0". The user corrects the error and then clicks the close button to see if there are any others. If there are then the cursor goes to the next record where this occurs until it doesn't find any more and then a macro is run. I just need the code to ...

compare data in two lists to find matching entries
I have a spreadsheet with two colums. Each colum contains an identification reference e.g. Colum A Colum B abc123456 nmg4568987 ahsj45236 abc123456 ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 I want excel to check if the items in colums b are also in colum a and insert either "Match found" or "No match found" in colum c. For example abc123456 nmg4568987 No match found ahsj45236 abc123456 Match found ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 No match found Please help. I've tried everything I could think of. Nothing seems to work. Try this in C1, and copy down: =IF(IS...

Where can I find the relative reference icon to create a macro?
I am creating a macro on Excel 2003. I want the macro to run relative to the position of the active cell so I need to select "relative reference", but the relative reference box does NOT come up. Help shows that it is on the stop recording toolbar, but I don't know where that toolbar is either. I started the macro and stopped it, but "relative reference" is no where in my screen. How can I find the icon? Iliana Tools>Customize>Toolbars. Select "Stop Recording" toolbar>Close Stop Recording Toolbar should now be visible on sheet. Hit &quo...

Find cell numbers in a table so I can multiply
Hello, I have a word document and in the documents header there is a table. This table a has diferent number of cells in each row like: Row one: 2 cells Row two: 4 cells Row three: 2 cells Row four: 10 cells Row five: 2 cells What I wanted to do is multipy 3 cells together thats in row four and show the total in the same row. I have a number in the 3rd cell that needs * by the number in the fith cell that needs * by the number in the seventh cell and totaled in the 9th cell. I know I have to select the ninth cell and select table/formula then what? -- Thanks, Chad I ...

ADO code looks so ugly compared to DAO
I am trying to learn ADO and I have been looking at examples on the Microsoft web site with C++. I am sorry and I am sure that I am going to get flamed on this but the code looks so ugly. I have been using DAO for the last 6 years and it seems like the number of lines that are needed to do things in ADO compared to DAO are many more. There must be wrapper classes to hide some of the ugliness. Am I missing something here? Hello William! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:30:07 -0500, William Gower wrote: > I am trying to learn ADO and I have been looking at examples on the > Microsoft web ...

Cannot find "Plot empty cells as" option in 2007
Excel has the option under Tools -> Options -> Chart tab Plot empty cells has - Not plotted (leave gaps) - Zero - Interpoloated i cannot find the option in Excel 2007, after hunting off and on for 3 hours. Where is it? i've already dismissed the hack of filling values with the formula =NA() References http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302672 http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip024.htm http://www.excelforum.com/excel-charting/658977-plotting-data-against-times-dealing-with-missing-values.html Click on the chart In the Chart Tools tabs open Design; In the Data gro...

find command #2
how do you use the Find command to seach for 2 textboxes of user inpu information. I want the command to locate the row where both textboxe make a match....Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook 2002 sp3 doesn't find notes
������������ Outlook 2002 sp3 �� ������� ������� (notes) �� �������������� ������ � ���, ������ �� ������ ��� ��������� ������. Hello Outlook 2002 sp3 doesn't find notes by Cyrillic text in them, only by digits, Latin letters. How to correct this? ...

Find most recent record by date and time
I am trying to get a query to return the most recent record for each person in the table. Table fields include: UL_UnitID UL_Date UL_Time UL_STS I need the query to return the most recent record for each unit based on the date and the time. Using the 'max' option it will return the latest date or the latest time. I cannot use the 'last' option because some updates may not be done in correct order. I attempted to query the table first and create a combined DateTime field of: [UL_Date] & " " & [UL_Time]. That will still not correctly return the most ...

Search and Find
If in Column A I have values like PARTA25RED PARTB526BLUE PARTFR25GREEN PARTYYT566RED And I wanted to find the position of the 1st Numeric Value and exclude any Alpha would I use ISNUMBER(FIND(LEFT(a1,1), {"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"}))) ...

How can I find the attachments of my sent Items?
I've just loaded Outlook, and I can't see any of the attachments on my sent items. Where does Outlook put them? Thanks VERY much! Lara It attaches them to the message and denotes the attachment with a paperclip icon. The attached file is also stored in your Mailbox. "Lara" <Lara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:793904FC-5126-46FE-A03A-5A2E3D8F41D6@microsoft.com... > I've just loaded Outlook, and I can't see any of the attachments on my > sent > items. Where does Outlook put them? > > Thanks VERY much! > Lara ...

Excel wont start ?
I have Office 2000 installed. However, Excel 2000 has just stopped working. I can load word 2000, powerpoint etc ok. When i try to start excel i get the splash screen for half a second, then a windows error dong. I have noticed in control panel that on my SCSI and RAID controllers that the Adaptec 2000S Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller has a yellow exclamation next to it. The only reason i mention this is because on this SCSI controller it mentions 'Digital Signer' as being MS Windows XP Publisher', and i wondered if it was this which was preventing Excel from working. Should i do a...

where do i find my 25 charactor numbers to register.
Where do i find the 25 charactor number to register my micrisoft. It was installed on the puter when i purchased it. But i have no idea. Thanks Look in the box for a manual that might have a sticker on it with the #. There might also be a sticker on the back of the computer case (where all the cords plug in). "Beverly" <Beverly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BB2E440-3E28-4110-B988-B1CA8FA23683@microsoft.com... > Where do i find the 25 charactor number to register my micrisoft. It was > installed on the puter when i purchased it. But i have no id...

Is this possible?
I have searched quite a bit and can't find how this might be done. I have an existing Word document which I am copying and pasting into another program to make some instructional videos. Unfortunately I am having some formatting issues when I paste into the video program and it has no formatting options concerning margins. I need to have each line of words in the original document actually be a paragraph. The documents are rather large so going through and hitting enter after each line would be extremely time consuming. Is there any way I can have Word go through and m...

Can an Advanced Find be exported?
Do you know if an Advanced Find view can be exported Thanks, Clare when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I never heard of exporting it :=) /Aamir Thanks Aamir. I wanted to take it from one installation to another. Never mind. "Aamir" wrote: > > when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I > never heard of exporting it :=) > > /Aamir > > ...

Selection change code with merged cells
Happy new year everyone. I have an issue with the code below and wondered if there was a way to get round the problem. The issue is that R11:S11 and R12:S12 are merged cells. With single cells, the code toggles between a tick (Wingdings character 252) and blank when each cell is selected. With merged cells nothing happens. Is there a way to enable the code when the cells are merged? Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) '----- ENABLE TICKS IN RELEVANT BOXES ----- Application.EnableEvents = False On Error GoTo sub_exit With Worksheet...