check boxes

Hi
I'm trying to create a spreadsheet with a column for a check box t
check off when an item is received.  I found the forms toolbar, whic
allows me to insert a check box, but is this the only way?  I can't ge
the boxes to line up nicely.  Also whenever I add to the worksheet, I'l
have to add more boxes.  Is there a way to have them pop u
automatically?  Thanks!!

I'd skinny down column A (maybe add nice borders)
Select column A and format as Wingdings font
format|cells|Number|custom category:
but give each cell a custom format of:
�;�;�;�

(� is made by hitting and holding the alt key and typing 0252 from the numeric
keypad--not numbers above the QWERTY keys).

Then any character(s) you type will look like a check mark.

To determine if the cell is "checked"
=if(a1)="","not checked","checked")

(alt-0252 is a little checkmark without the surrounding box.  But there are
other check marks you could use.  Windows start button|Run|charmap and look
around to find others.

"inkydinkydoo <" wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to create a spreadsheet with a column for a check box to
> check off when an item is received.  I found the forms toolbar, which
> allows me to insert a check box, but is this the only way?  I can't get
> the boxes to line up nicely.  Also whenever I add to the worksheet, I'll
> have to add more boxes.  Is there a way to have them pop up
> automatically?  Thanks!!!
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
9/15/2004 11:11:34 PM
Thanks Dave!!! That works well enough for me.  I can't type an
character & get a check mark, but if i type a number from the keypad i
puts a check mark.

thanks!!!:

Try copying and pasting from the newsgroup post:

�;�;�;�

Those semi-colons are important, too.

alt-0252 (semicolon) alt-0252 (semicolon) ...etcetera.

(it worked for me by just copying and pasting into the Format|cell|number
tab|custom category box--and ctrl-v will paste into that box.)

"inkydinkydoo <" wrote:

> Thanks Dave!!! That works well enough for me.  I can't type any
> character & get a check mark, but if i type a number from the keypad it
> puts a check mark.
>
> thanks!!!:)
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
9/16/2004 12:57:55 AM
Dave Peterson wrote

> (it worked for me by just copying and pasting into the Format|cell|number
> tab|custom category box--and ctrl-v will paste into that box.)

Curious, I tried that w/XL2K and it didn't. Got boxes: �;�;�;�
Unless I actually used Alt+0252

--
David
I use Netscape Messenger as my newsreader.  I'm not sure how XNews handles those

But if you used 4 alt-0252 (separated by a semicolon), could you type anything
and have the checkbox show up?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

> I use Netscape Messenger as my newsreader.  I'm not sure how XNews
> handles those characters.

Just to be clear, your characters showed properly in your post, but didn't
paste properly into Excel's dialog. Also the 'boxes' I pasted into my post
didn't display as I saw them in Excel. They were supposed to look like
small empty squares.

> But if you used 4 alt-0252 (separated by a semicolon), could you type
> anything and have the checkbox show up?

A checkmark, yes.

I actually use a Worksheet_SelectionChange event in one of my workbooks
which places that checkmark in a cell under the current date to mark
attendance when I click on the person's name:

With Selection.Offset(0, Rows(2).Find(Date).Column - 1)
..Value = Chr(252): .Font.Name = "Wingdings"
End With

--
David
You may want to consider using _beforerightclick or _beforedoubleclick (instead

It might add a little bit to your routine, but it could be a little
safer--Selections can be changed pretty easily (including by mistake), but
rightclick/doubleclick would at least take a directed effort.

Just a thought.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

> You may want to consider using _beforerightclick or _beforedoubleclick
> (instead of _selectionchange).
>
> It might add a little bit to your routine, but it could be a little
> safer--Selections can be changed pretty easily (including by mistake),
> but rightclick/doubleclick would at least take a directed effort.
>
> Just a thought.

Appreciate it.

I already have controls in place to eliminate mistakes of multi-selection
or selection outside the range of names. The people that use the workbook
are accustomed to single-clicking, and know how to undo accidentally
clicking the wrong name. They are also 'mouse-challenged', having trouble
with anything other than a single left-click. And once they have learned
one way of doing something, they fuss at me if I even hint at another.

--
David

App only starts in CMD-Box, not in Explorer
Hello, I have a problem on a Windows Server 2003 R2. If I want to start a program in Windows Explorer by double-clicking, I get the error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The message I get with a user which is member of the Domain Admins and Administrators. The permissions are also OK, everything is set to Allow, I have also checked with the effective permissions. If I start the application from a CMD box, it works. Has anyone an explanation for this strange behave...

Excel VBA
I can't seem to find the 'Draw" menu in Excel VBA... Am I correct in assuming that there is none? And that the Frame is the only way to group stuff on a Form?? thanks The frame is typical, but you can group some controls by using the GroupName. If you want lines on the userform, I think lots of people use a label that's really skinny--or use a picture of a line and then use that picture. tmb wrote: > > I can't seem to find the 'Draw" menu in Excel VBA... > > Am I correct in assuming that there is none? > > And that the Frame is the onl...

"Chart sizes with window frame" automatically re-checked
Hi, I have chart sheets in Excel 2000. I have unchecked "Chart sizes with window frame" in the Options menu and set zoom on the chart sheets to 100%. My VB program opens the Excel file and updates the cells in the chart's data series. When run from my Windows 2000 PC, everything is fine. When run from our Windows 2003 server, everything is fine. When run as a scheduled task on the Windows 2003 server, the "Chart sizes with window frame" gets checked and the graphs are zoomed to 139%. The charts have been pasted into Powerpoint 2000 as links, and this messes up th...

Checking for duplication on rows
Hello, In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check this? THANKS, karmen -- Karmen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=509495 Presume you're checking some...

Change event missing from Forms 2.0 combo box.
I'm doing a project in Access 2000 using forms and MS Forms 2.0 combo boxes. I'm not using the native Access combo box because it lacks an Add Item method and is therefor very difficult to populate. I want to do something when the user makes a selection in the combo box so I need to respond to the Change event. The object browser shows a number of events including Click and Change available for the combo box. However, these events do not appear in property list of the combo box so I cannot get to them. I have confirmed that I'm using the Forms 2.0 combo box and not the native o...

unicode for edit box
I am trying to add unicode support to an older application. Doing a unicode build would be too big a change, so instead we want to just add unicode support to a few key parts. The first place I'm trying is a simple multiline edit box. The user types in text and it gets stored in a file. I've changed my API calls to their W equivalents and am using WCHARs instead of chars, but the problem I'm having is with the edit box itself. If I try to paste in a unicode character, it always shows up as a ?. What do I need to do to "turn on unicode" for the edit box? Nate Hekma...

On-Click Events and motion tablet signature boxes?
I have a fairly involved form with 54 option frames. Each frame has 4 option buttons (IN, OUT, N/A, N/O). I already have the option frames setup to update their status in a table with numbers (1,2,3,4) and all this is linked to a specific record number that is auto generated. I can create multiple records that retain my choices for all 54 option frames. What I want to do now is create a table with a list of pre-written comments and an event on each option frame so if I select OUT it will select a specific comment for that specific option. I might select OUT on the option ...

highlighting text box if...
Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date is past due? If so, how? Thanks for the help, Scot -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn, WA Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200712/1 Never mind... I have tunnel vision right now. I figured it out. Thanks spcscooter wrote: >Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date >is past due? If so, how? > >Thanks for the help, > >Scot > -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn...

Save As Dialog Box defaulting as Thumbnail View.
I have noticed when I right click on a file to "save As" the dialog always defaults to Thumbnail View and so I have to click on the views tab to change it to Detail Tab is there a way in folder options or control panel to change the setting to make the dialog box default to detail view ? Some feedback on this would be appreciated. -- James M. Horak P.O. Box 2167 Belton Texas, 76513 "jhorak101" <james.horak@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:CF5F2708-8E9E-445D-9F8C-08F17FECB551@microsoft.com... >I have noticed when I right click on a file to "s...

Selected items from List Box sent to Form Field
When items are selected from a list box (frm!List52), they currently populate another list box (frm!List56) but I would like the selections made to also update a field (T_assigned) on the form. Currently frm! List56 is populated with first name and last name data - Columns 1 and 2 - I am trying to get the selected ID_NUMs from Column 0 into the T_assigned field. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ______________________________________________ Public Sub CopySelected(ByRef frm As Form) Dim ctlSource As Control Dim ctlDest As Control Dim strItems As String...

Problem With Deferral Check Links
Hi.. When i Do Deferral Check Links in File Maintenance. I am getting an error message "A remove range operation on table 'PP_File_Maintenance_Error_Log' cannot find the table. On clicking the more Info button. These messages are displayed " [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not find stored procedure 'TEST.dbo.zDP_PP400004L_1'. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'TEST.dbo.PP400004'. " In the database these two objects are not present. Can You Pl. tell me what to do about it. Thanks These do not...

Check to see if a formula is correct
I want to do something like this Sub Macro1() If Range("A1") =(=B1 + B2) Then ' This is a formula Exit Sub Else Range("C1").Select 'Has correct formula Selection.Copy Range("A1").Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas End If End Sub How do I do this? Hi Try Sub Macro1() If Range("A1").HasFormula Then Exit Sub Else Range("C1").Copy Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas Application.CutCopyMode = False ...

How to check continuous form fields
I have a tabbed form, when I switch from one tab to another, it checks to make sure that none of the mandatory fields are missing. However the code that checks the records on tab #1 (which is the code below after the elseif), the code only checks the first record. I can not figure out how to modify the code to get it to look at other records on the form that may be present. Any suggestions on what modification I would need to make here would be helpful. thanks! If TabCtl4 = 1 Then Dim CkCtls As New Collection CkCtls.Add "DRNo" ...

Can I set up cascading combo boxes in a TABLE?
I am setting up a database for a research project. I would like to enter the data within the table as it is easier to see everything together. I have a combo box for General Injury Region, which is upper extremity, lower extremity, spine. I would like to the second combo box populate based on the first with shoulder, hand, wrist, etc. Thanks in advance! Debi wrote: > I am setting up a database for a research project. I would like to enter > the data within the table as it is easier to see everything together. > > I have a combo box for General Injury Region, wh...

Figures in data box and percentages in graph
Hi - I have a client for whom we have developed a report system. They now want an ammendment to some of the graphs which means that they want to be able to see the actual figures in the data box under the graph and the bars/lines in the body of the graph to be based on percentages. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Regards Andrew You need to fake the data table. Tushar Mehta has a discussion of data tables and alternatives on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pelti...

"Return Mail" dialog box
I upgraded from Outlook 97 to Office XP; now when I receive a new email, a dialog box titled "Return Mail" opens (similar to the "Select Names" box when adding recipients to a new email, except "Cc ->" is the only choice, and a recipient is already added). Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this ? I'm not the only one experiencing this issue: http://groups.google.com/groups? q=return+mail+group:microsoft.public.outlook.*&hl=en&lr=&ie =UTF-8&oe=UTF- 8&group=microsoft.public.outlook.*&selm=118a01c386d2% 24587c6f70%24a101280...

Rename Message Box
I have a combo box which is set to autofill client name or open message box. When the message box opens, (in the blue area) it shows 32. I've looked everywhere in access that may show 32, figuring I could change it and I can't find it anywhere. Can I change the 32 to reflect Add Client? Private Sub ClientID_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_cboClientID_NotInList Dim intAnswer As Integer intAnswer = MsgBox("Would you like to add this value to the list?", vbYesNo, vbQuestion) If intAnswer = vbYes Then DoCmd.RunComma...

Locking a Text Box
Hi all, hope someone can help with a text box locking problem. I need to lock a text box on a switchboard so that it can not be deleted by someone else. I am designing a database for a friend's work but want my name and address in a text box as the designer on the switchboard to remain. I know that my friend will make changes and there is little I can do, but I don't want my name and phone number deleted from the switchboard. Is there anything that I can do. Thank you for any help you can give. Maurita Searcy I'm afraid there is no way to allow someone to change some aspects...

Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher
Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher heater <heater@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher Yes. Ctrl+T. You cannot make the text partially transparent. The text box can only be semitransparent in Publisher 2002 or 2003, and this does not always print correctly. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Thanks Ed, I tried that & it not quite what Im after. In microsoft word you can make the fill of a text box semi transparent. This is good for instance if you hav...

Text box won't accept format
I created a text box (tbPODollarValue) on an existing form. Its control source is "=cbPONbr.column(3)" where cbPONbr is a control on the same form sitting rightnext to my new text box (tbPODollarValue). I've set the format on tbPODOllarValue to "Currency", and its Decimal Places to 2. cbPONbr gets the right values. Its query is: SELECT tblPO.ID, tblPO.PONbr, tblPO.ProjectID, tblPO.PODollarAmt, ismember([GroupCode],moduleid()) AS Expr1 FROM tblPO WHERE (((ismember([GroupCode],moduleid()))<>0)) ORDER BY tblPO.PONbr DESC; tbPODollarValue displays the righ...

Pasteing In text into a current text box
When I cut text from a website and attempt to paste it into a current text box, Publisher 2003 defaults to create a new text box instead of inserting it into the preexisting one. How can I fixt this? Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. Secondly when you copy a webpage you are copying HTML. Use menu EDIT > Paste Special > Unformatted Text or paste into Notepad which will remove all the formatting and then re-copy and paste into Publisher. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: > Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. ========...

Cross-Reference Dialog Box No Longer Works Right
This is a change in Word 2007 from previous versions, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I often insert a cross reference to a "numbered item" - normally a heading. You can do with keystroke shortcuts or by clicing "Cross-reference" in the "References" toolbar. The problem is with the little dialog box that pops up at this point. Its main window shows, in outline form, all the headings in the document, and I then pick the one to which I want to insert a reference. Except ... it doesn't. The main window in the dialog box OMITS all the ...

Printing problems in the advanced find dialog box
I am using the advanced find tool in outlook to search my journal entries for a specific set of records by catagory. I then turn on the auto preview to expand all the details for the found records. When I then select all found records and print in memo view I get all the records to print, 1 page per record. If, however, I print those same records to a table view I get just a row of headings accross the top of the page but no data. Is this a bug in outlook or am I doing something wrong? -- Alan Barnes Innovative Solutions ...

Checking on two values
To count the numbers of rows that include the number "16" in column "I", I use the following formula: ANTALL.HVIS(I:I;"16") (I think this is called COUNT.IF in english) I want to count the numbers of rows that include both this and the letter "A" in column "B". (Meaning not counting rows which just fulfill one of these requirements.) How do I write this formula? (Please feel free to write the english formula, I will find out how to write it in norwegian.) Regards Johannes Hei Johannes COUNTIF takes only one criteria. You can do this wit...

Spell Check in Outlook Express
Running a nDell Dimension 2400. When I spell check e- mail in OE I get,"An error occurred whiole the spelling was being checked.". When I set the option to always spell check before send, I get the message, "The spell check on the document was halted. Do you want to send anyway?" Can someone solve this for me. I will be grateful. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x m...