Charting and analyzing Times' times data for trends

Hello, all,

I have created a spreadsheet in Excel 2000 that tracks the amount of
time it has taken me on various dates to finish the New York Time
crossword puzzle, and now I'm being asked to analyze that information
for trends.

The XLS file can be found at
http://barelybad.com/xwd_times_may04_2005_138.xls.  Only rows 10:426
matter.

Is it possible to chart all seven days' worth of data (dates on the
x-axis and times on the y-axis) on one chart?  I would have thought so,
but I can't figure it out.

Also, you'll see from where I tried to chart the Monday times that the
result is ugly and unhelpful; is there some way to smooth out the X-axis
data so they show a general trend rather that every single point?

The chart is also misleading in that dates for which I did not record a
time at all show up as time 00:00:00.  Nothing I've tried fixes this
crucial problem.

Also, is there a numerical way to express the rate of change of times
from the beginning date to the ending date for, say, just the Friday
puzzles?  I can't seem to get the SLOPE function to make sense, and I'm
not sure that's what I want anyway.  What function (or functions) would
you use, and exactly how would you use it (making sure the blank cells
don't count as zero!), to express whether I've gotten stupider since
April 28, 1997?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--Johnny
barelybad.com
johnnyg aatssiign  B_A_R_E_L_Y_B_A_D  d.o.t  c-o-m

0
barelybad (6)

===============
[A few minutes later]

Re-hello, all,

Using Outlook Express I just read my own original post below, and when I
click on the URL for the spreadsheet it opens Internet Explorer just
fine, but then it never opens the Excel file.  When I copy and paste the
address into IE it opens Excel as I would expect.  Any ideas why
clicking fails?  Sorry if I'm being ignorant here.

--Johnny
===============

"Johnny" <barelybad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, all,
>
> I have created a spreadsheet in Excel 2000 that tracks the amount of
> time it has taken me on various dates to finish the New York Time
> crossword puzzle, and now I'm being asked to analyze that information
> for trends.
>
> The XLS file can be found at
> http://barelybad.com/xwd_times_may04_2005_138.xls.  Only rows 10:426
> matter.
>
> Is it possible to chart all seven days' worth of data (dates on the
> x-axis and times on the y-axis) on one chart?  I would have thought
so,
> but I can't figure it out.
>
> Also, you'll see from where I tried to chart the Monday times that the
> result is ugly and unhelpful; is there some way to smooth out the
X-axis
> data so they show a general trend rather that every single point?
>
> The chart is also misleading in that dates for which I did not record
> time at all show up as time 00:00:00.  Nothing I've tried fixes this
> crucial problem.
>
> Also, is there a numerical way to express the rate of change of times
> from the beginning date to the ending date for, say, just the Friday
> puzzles?  I can't seem to get the SLOPE function to make sense, and
I'm
> not sure that's what I want anyway.  What function (or functions)
would
> you use, and exactly how would you use it (making sure the blank cells
> don't count as zero!), to express whether I've gotten stupider since
> April 28, 1997?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> --Johnny
> barelybad.com
> johnnyg aatssiign  B_A_R_E_L_Y_B_A_D  d.o.t  c-o-m

0
barelybad (6)

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

Sound "times out" on web cam after 5 minutes or so...
I have decent picture and sound quality on webcam but after about 5 minutes it seems to "time out" and the sound goes away. The person I'm talking to can still hear me but I can't hear them. I restart the video call and it works again... for about 5 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it? It only started the last 2 times I have spoken with my dad on webcam. I have Windows Vista and the newest 2009 version of messenger. Please help! -- Thanks~ Ali Greetings Ali, Just out of curiosity, if you just do an audio call...

Outlook 2003 shows "Enter network password" every time I hit send/receive
OL 2003 seems to have a bug. I have a pop account which it can't remember the password for, no matter what I do. Have tried giving correct permission in registry, and have re-created the mail profile. Nothing helps. Any ideas? /M I seem to be having the same problem. I haven't tried the procedure MS posted about resetting thre registry. I'm lost also. >-----Original Message----- >OL 2003 seems to have a bug. I have a pop account which it can't remember >the password for, no matter what I do. Have tried giving correct permission >in registry, and have re-c...

How can I load data from existing accounting systems?
My client has an existing huge working database (Quickbooks Pro 2003) that he wants to import into RMS. Is this possible, or do we need to load all existing data with manual data entry? Nope just set up intergration and under utitilys import any data you need. I did a lumber yard that way and it works great. "Andrea Pope" <Andrea Pope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:025C2302-0AB0-4530-B201-1F01553F5E58@microsoft.com... > My client has an existing huge working database (Quickbooks Pro 2003) that > he > wants to import into RMS. Is this possible...

Time sheet webservices or API?
Hello! I am a .Net developer. Until about 6 months ago our IT shop had a custom time tracking application written in Silverlight. It was exceptionally smooth with auto completes, notes, and a wide assortment of other indicators that helped us identify critical projects and time allotment. Then we switched to MS Project Web Access. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Project, and that I can use it on the web is awesome. But the Time Sheet interface over the web is horrendous. It's slow, cludgey, inconsistent, and a royal pain in the butt. So around the shop we were chatting...

Import data from FileMaker
I have a School Suspension file that is in FilemakerPro. It works very well. I want to automate a monthly report for our business office and want to be able to import data from the db into Excel. On Mac's I can do so quite nicely, simply Open Excel, then Open the FMPro db which launches a wizard and all is done in a few key strokes. Obviously I'm not as adept in XP. Using Excel 2003 and FileMaker Pro 6.ov4 how can I accomplish this task? I don't speak FileMakerPro, so you can try this or wait for a real response! Open excel. File|Open Look at all the fileformats that excel ...

Query data and formatting
I have a query on a VFP table (linked through ODBC to our sales software) to summarize the daily value of sales orders entered. I need to group it into weekly amounts and daily amounts but cannot manipulate the data in the query to finish it in a report. I have the daily values totalled by day, but cannot group it beyond that. My end result should display: Date Daily Amount MTD Amt YTD Amt Week of (date) with sub-totals Is there a query criteria formula I can use so I can keep the link to the live data? ...

Legend in charts
how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? Hi, In what way? The legend reflects what is in each chart, so if your charts are different, so will your legends be. Or are you referring to the formatting? Dave "queenie" wrote: > how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? ...

Calculating diff between date/ time only between certain hours 03-01-10
I am trying to find the diff in hours only between 8:00 and 17:00 Monday to Friday only, any hours that fall outside of that time frame should not be counted. Each calculation will have different dates so if there is a way to do this without specifying the date that would be great! 2/19/2010 16:00 2/22/2010 9:00 ??? Thanks for any assistance you can offer! Hi there GMv1, Assuming "2/19/2010 16:00" is in cell A1 and "2/22/2010 9:00" is in cell B1. The formulae in cell C1 would be as follows : =INT((B1-A1)*24) Let us know if this helps yo...

Advanced Filter sort on "asterisk" (wild card) hides data, not just empty blank cells.
In debugging a program, I isolated the problem to the following issue. I manually created the following situation in column A, rows 1 to 6, by copying and pasting actual data in order to accurately re-create the problem: ABN/ACN/BN * ABN/ACN/BN 3158816 40000545415/005 Excel "Help" has this to say about the asterisk: " * (asterisk) Any number of characters in the same position as the asterisk For example, *east finds "Northeast" and "Southeast" " I am assuming that the asterisk, being the wild card symbol, being the "cell not empty" symbol, ...

Auto Scaling Charts
I am trying (in Vain) to auto scale bar charts in excel. I have attempted a macro in VB to do this, but it just seems to do nothing, does not fail or succeeds. If anyone could take a look at the macro below and assist in where it is going wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks Sub AutoScaleCharts() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim cht As ChartObject Dim ValuesArray(), SeriesValues As Variant Dim Ctr As Integer, TotCtr As Integer For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets For Each cht In ws.ChartObjects For Each X In cht.Chart.SeriesCollection SeriesValues = X.Values ...

Data Validation mystery
Using Excel2003 with Windows xp One Workbook - Two worksheets Two columns in worksheet1 - Data Validation in cells of both columns Selecting a word from the drop down list in column 1 allows selection of a word from a drop down list in column 2 (changing the word in column 1 offers a different drop down list of words in column 2). Worksheet2 has 4 columns of words, each column with a Heading Column 1 has its own Heading and contains the Heading of columns 2, 3 & 4 Columns 2, 3 & 4 each contain a different list of words Named ranges: Each column Heading is 'Named' using the...

Excel 2000
Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. Hi, There are limits but it's not 10. What data do you have in those 10 cells? Cheers Andy Bob wrote: > Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can > only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one > gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I a...

Changing chart background color in Excel 97 SR 2
I am fairly new to this so please bear with me. I have a chart based on numbers in a spread that has a grey background (The chart) but I would like the background to be white and can not get it to change. I right clicked on the chart and went to Format Chart Area, Patterns, Fill Effects, Patterns and changed the background to white but the ok button is greyed out. Am using Excel (Office) 97 SR 2 TIA http://members.aol.com/larrystark/ Right click (or double click) on the gray region, which is the Plot Area. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tut...

Rookie-building DB-want to get right the first time! Help?
Rookie user: Access 2007, Using “Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft Access 2007” as reference guide. Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don’t do a lot of work and not have it do what I need. Here’s what I need to do: Track GIS datasets for about 50 natural and environmental hazards. The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source (National, State, County or City data) and know its date of creation, and frequency of updates for example. I don’t k...

Combo Boxes in Charts
I have created a chart which includes a combo box which refers to a list of names. The problem is that the font size is too small - size 10 - and I would like to make it bigger. Have tried changing the font size of the data range for the combo box but this has no effect. The properties of the combo box let me change its size but not the font size of the list of items. Any suggestions. Thanks Shirley Munro -- Shirley Munro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shirley Munro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=83...

how do I concatenate color attributes with data
hello excel experts, I have a frustrating problem...I would like to find out if there is way to attach the format of the data within cells when using th concatenate function. For example: if cell A1 had a bold 3 in it, an A2 had a regular 3 in it, then the result of the concatenation functio of those two cells would be a cell with one bold 3 and a regular 3 i it. Does that make sense??? Help Please!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not possible with formulas. Formulas can only return values but not formats -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > hello exc...

BCM release version, Migrationof old data
Is there a workaround or fix to the problem that BCM does not export its History or Opporunities dta and nor does the release version read the backup from the Beta? Since the beta is due to expire at month end, users face the prospect of data locked in teh old inaccessibile system with no way to migrate it to the current relese system. ...

Active X and Data Grid
I am trying to access a SQL database and get a list for the user to select from to be used in additional queries. I have created an ActiveX Data Object and a Data Grid Object, and I am trying to figure out how to link the two. In visual basic, in the properties, there is a line called datasource that links the two that isn't present in VBA. Any help would be appreciated. "Richard Mogy" wrote ... > I am trying to access a SQL database and get a list for the user to select > from to be used in additional queries. > > I have created an ActiveX Data Object and a D...

To Mr. Liengme: Re My previous Post Concerning My Bar Chart Problem
Hello again Mr. Liengme, I tried what you suggested, and it works just fine. But, I really don't understand what, exactly, I am doing when I do this cell deletion. And then "select that cell (B1) down to the last and across to C". a. Can you explain, please what I am accomplishing when I do this ? What happens or changes in the Formatting, or... ? b. Also, I thought I would be clever and formatted one column as text. This did not work. Why not ? Thanks again; really appreciate your time and help/ Bob ------------------------- Your x and y values are both num...

Keydown Event while in a data Entry Field
I have a Keydown event checking for F10 on a data entry form. In my form I have 10 data entry fields. Let say I put data in the first 5 and after typing in the 6th (without moving out of the field) I hit the F10 key. The F10 logic processing only recognizes the values in fields 1-5 and nothing in field 6. I there a way to commit the values that were started to be typed in Field 6 in the start of the logic of the F10 keydown event. Thanks, Don OK I figured out a work around, but I would still like to hear of other ways of accomplishing the same thing. my workaround: Af...

control chart scale with cell value in excel
I would like to control the Min. and Max. values for the x & y axes in a XY scatter chart with cell values. Does anybody know how to do this? Excel 2003 jjw: Here's a post that shows a simple[le VBA approach. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_set_x_axis_min__max_dates.htm Kelly O'Day http://processtrends.com "jjw" <jjw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B743C713-7053-42F4-B005-2C7B594AA86F@microsoft.com... >I would like to control the Min. and Max. values for the x & y axes in a XY > scatter chart with cell values. > Does anybody...

Calendar Data Retention
Hi I recently instated a new Exchange 2003 Server. All existing users were moved from my old Exchange 2003 server to the new one. Question is: Is there a limit on how far back Exchange stores Calendar data or could some of the data have been lost when we moved across the Mailboxes. As it looks like i cant see Calendar Data that is older than a year. Thanx Sulaiman Hi Sulaiman, The exchange has all the information of the schedule+free busy for every event that occured maybe for the last 2 years also You can set the free busy information display from the outlook client .. tools>&g...

Scattered chart combined with columns and time-x-axis in XL2007
Dear Group, until XL2003 I could create a column chart, configure the x-axis to as a time-axis (for x-scaling purposes) and I could place scattered charts (as carrier for text and symbols) at any (non-integer) x-position. Using XL2007, scattered charts can only be positioned on x-integer-values. So I am forced to put a second transparent scattered-chart over the column-chart? Or is there any better way to do this in ONE chart? Thanks in advance: Holger. Ironically, the XY series can plot anywhere along a text axis in 2007. The first category is at X=1, the second at X=2, etc. I hadn...

Automate dynamic Charts from Macro Web Query
Hello all Excel users- I am a bit new to the list and cannot find a solution online as of yet I am doing a web query to bring in information and then running a sor on the information. I want to take the data (static columns wit Dynamic rows) and plot the information in stacked 3D column graph. The data is CPU-Utilization breakdown by percent ranges across multipl servers: Servename Month 0%-9% 10%-19% 20%-29%.....100% Server 1 January .33 .19 .46 0 Now I can't figure a way to accomodate for additional servers on th chart when it gets added. How do ...