Chart title text linked from a cell? Possible?

I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the
contents of a cell.  It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is
possible.  It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to
manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in
the contents of a cell somewhere.  Is there a way to do it?
I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already
written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into
the title space.

A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a
chart, whose contents are defined by a cell contents.  For example, I
want to create a text box on a chart that says "growth >10%" and that
text is contained within cell A11.

--
cwinters
cwinters's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18386

Hi,

Yes you can link the title to a cell.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

To create a textbox select the chart and type the cell address, as
described above, in the formula bar.

Cheers
Andy

cwinters wrote:
> I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the
> contents of a cell.  It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is
> possible.  It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to
> manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in
> the contents of a cell somewhere.  Is there a way to do it?
> I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already
> written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into
> the title space.
>
> A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a
> chart, whose contents are defined by a cell contents.  For example, I
> want to create a text box on a chart that says "growth >10%" and that
> text is contained within cell A11.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"cwinters" wrote:

> I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the
> contents of a cell.  It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is
> possible.  It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to
> manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in
> the contents of a cell somewhere.  Is there a way to do it?
> I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already
> written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into
> the title space.
>
> A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a
> chart, whose contents are defined by a cell contents.  For example, I
> want to create a text box on a chart that says "growth >10%" and that
> text is contained within cell A11.
>

> --
> cwinters
> cwinters's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18386
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474864

0
cottage6 (16)

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

force Excel to treat numbers as text
Sorry I searched this and no one seems to have a solution. I trie pre-defiming columns as text but it gets over-riden by the paste. Past Special doesn't do the trick.. paste special as text on tabular data coming from a web site puts mos of the data in the first column. It no longer spreads the columns o pasted data into its own excel columns the tabular data, tab delimited, I want to 'copy&paste' looks lik this: 1) OGRODOWICZ MARK M47 6306 BROOKLYN NY 533 446 41 24:00 23:25 7:3 20:58 2) CHAO DUSTIN M35 3738 NEW YORK NY 534 447 155 24:02 23:47 7:40 23:1 The paste should...

How do I add a floating text box in Excel?
I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to the end of the spreadsheet. How can I create a floating text box in Excel and include totals of certain cells from the same worksheet? MS has lots of templates at: http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/TemplateGallery And there's always google! Prashant wrote: > > I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain > things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to > the...

Scatter with text on X
I am trying to construct one scatterplot for 2 groups of data A & B. would like to have A and B as two points on the X-axis and the (Y data values which pertain to A and B plotted as dots above them in vertical line. I have tried many different things and HELP to try to do this an no-one at work knows either. I am obviously missing out on somethin simple but important. Expert experience would be greatly appreciated! Donal ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.c...

stop rounding in cell
i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Hi Try =INT(A1/1000) but note anything less than 1000 will show as 0. Regards Roger Govier Lady112017 wrote: > i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but > to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just > show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Try this formula: ...

Legend in charts
how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? Hi, In what way? The legend reflects what is in each chart, so if your charts are different, so will your legends be. Or are you referring to the formatting? Dave "queenie" wrote: > how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? ...

Printing row titles each page
Using the tutorial when it comes to printing row titles on each page, I do not know what to put in under the "Printing Titles". I assume it was the row number (1) but that does not work. What do you put in to print titles on several pages. Thank you.. ...

Advanced Filter sort on "asterisk" (wild card) hides data, not just empty blank cells.
In debugging a program, I isolated the problem to the following issue. I manually created the following situation in column A, rows 1 to 6, by copying and pasting actual data in order to accurately re-create the problem: ABN/ACN/BN * ABN/ACN/BN 3158816 40000545415/005 Excel "Help" has this to say about the asterisk: " * (asterisk) Any number of characters in the same position as the asterisk For example, *east finds "Northeast" and "Southeast" " I am assuming that the asterisk, being the wild card symbol, being the "cell not empty" symbol, ...

Read Text File into Excel Using VBA
Hi All, I'm a new VBA programmer. I know how to pull an entire text file into an Excel Spreadsheet, but I only want specific information from the text file not the entire text file. What I have is about 25 text files stored in a folder, let's say C:\test. Each file is named by a property address as follows: 209 MAIN ST.txt 213 MAIN ST.txt 111 ELM ST.txt 2356 WOOD AVE.txt On the 11th row of each file is as follows: Property Address:209 MAIN ST On the 31st row of each file is as follows: Total Value:30500 What I would like to do is read each file located in the "C:\test folder...

Hiding cells based on the value in another cell
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I have created a worksheet where I would like to be able to "hide" a group of cells based on the value of another cell. I can do what I want by inserting a shape (rectangle) and giving it a white background and a white line color. As I have chosen not to show gridlines on my worksheet, this rectangle effectively hides the cells that are behind it. I can write code to control the visibility of this rectangle based on the value in a particular cell. I imagine that there is a way I can get this code to run anytime the value in this cell...

Cell Error Message
I am running Excel 2002 and keep getting a comment like deal in all cells that are not calculating to the end of the range. For example if I have data in Col. a.b.c.d.e.f but do not include Col. a, I get a comment type message that the formula did not calculate the entire range(which I do not want it to). I know that I can turn this off manually (in each and every cell effected)(about 50), however does anyone have an idea of how to turn it off completely, either my use of a VBA or Excel itself. Thanks Frank ...

Keeping the Same Cell References
What's the easiest way of copying a cell with a formula in it and pasting it into another cell with the exact same formula? I also have ASAP utlities, and I couldn't figure out how to do it with that either. One way: Remove the = sign before copying and re-insert it in the new location after pasting -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "JP" <JohnP26@msn.com> wrote in message news:qfian3pttvr0ju1eddj97quhiqon28snfl@4ax.com... | What's the easiest way of copying a cell with a formula in it and | pasting it into another cell with the exact same for...

Excel 2000
Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. Hi, There are limits but it's not 10. What data do you have in those 10 cells? Cheers Andy Bob wrote: > Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can > only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one > gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I a...

Lock cell for number input
Hi, I am creating Excel file for users to fill in the data and send it back to me. I have cells that require users to put in numeric value. How can I do to only allow numerice value when users typing in the cells? I need to do the same for percentage as well. For the percentage, my idea is to set the format of the cell to be "Percentage" and then limit the value to between 0 to 1. Thank you very much, B On Jun 23, 7:48=A0am, "msnews.microsoft.com" <boonyawat.la- ongth...@cnh.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am creating Excel file for users to fill in the da...

Re: Find last cell in a column, Delete its contents and make it ac
Sub uselastcellinL() Application.Goto Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp) ActiveCell.ClearContents End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > Sub deletelastcellinL() > Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp).Delete shift:=xlUp > End Sub > > -- > Don Guillett > Microsoft MVP Excel > SalesAid Software > dguillett@gmail.com > "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:D...

Can I highlight a cell and link it to another workbook?
I need to highlight one cell and link it to another cell in a different workbook where I want to enter a text definition of the first cell. I don't think linking works because that just gives me the same information in a different cell. I want to be able to click on a cell in one worksheet and be able to "flip" to its definition in another worksheet. Thanks! -- Jenn Create a hyperlink... Click the cell you want to link so it is the active cell. Go to the Insert menu and choose 'hyperlink' In the hyperlink window select the 'Place in this Document' button...

Changing chart background color in Excel 97 SR 2
I am fairly new to this so please bear with me. I have a chart based on numbers in a spread that has a grey background (The chart) but I would like the background to be white and can not get it to change. I right clicked on the chart and went to Format Chart Area, Patterns, Fill Effects, Patterns and changed the background to white but the ok button is greyed out. Am using Excel (Office) 97 SR 2 TIA http://members.aol.com/larrystark/ Right click (or double click) on the gray region, which is the Plot Area. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tut...

Auto Scaling Charts
I am trying (in Vain) to auto scale bar charts in excel. I have attempted a macro in VB to do this, but it just seems to do nothing, does not fail or succeeds. If anyone could take a look at the macro below and assist in where it is going wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks Sub AutoScaleCharts() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim cht As ChartObject Dim ValuesArray(), SeriesValues As Variant Dim Ctr As Integer, TotCtr As Integer For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets For Each cht In ws.ChartObjects For Each X In cht.Chart.SeriesCollection SeriesValues = X.Values ...

Combo Boxes in Charts
I have created a chart which includes a combo box which refers to a list of names. The problem is that the font size is too small - size 10 - and I would like to make it bigger. Have tried changing the font size of the data range for the combo box but this has no effect. The properties of the combo box let me change its size but not the font size of the list of items. Any suggestions. Thanks Shirley Munro -- Shirley Munro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shirley Munro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=83...

Checking text length.
I have a large list of names (about 2500) in microsoft excel but I need to find all cells within a column that have a text length of more than 30 characters including spaces. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to start counting? Thanks. Chris. Hi one way: - select your data (e.g. cells A1:A3000) - goto 'format - Conditional Format) - enter the following formula =LEN(A1)>30 - choose a format to highlight these cells >-----Original Message----- >I have a large list of names (about 2500) in microsoft excel but I need to >find all cells within a column that have a te...

Ooh .. Linking a list to a list to an output cell
I have a single cell in which i enter the price of a home. Elsewhere, I have two columns of ten items each: one column is formulated to give relative prices based on the price entered in the single cell, and the column adjacent to this column describes these numbers in nominal terms (i.e. ten items in increments of five percent: "25% more" .. " 0% change" .. "25% less"). Further along, I have a list box created which uses the nominal column at the Source for the list. I would like to have a cell adjacent to the list box cell which will give the price b...

Text To Date Conversion
Hi I run Excel 2000 I download information from a mainframe into Excel. In cell F5 the data looks like this: 19.11.2007 This is formatted as text and is left aligned. When I try to reformat it to a date (19/11/2007) it does not change. I would like to have a formula in cell N5 that changes the original data to a datevalue. (eg: 19/11/2007) Thanks If column F contains a lot of the "date" values, then you could: Data|Text to columns Fixed width (but don't have any separator lines!) choose Date (dmy order) and finish up Then give the range the date ...

Formula links in file
We have a master data file that about 50 other related spreadsheets have formula links to. Permission to this master file has now been restricted for many people so when they open some of the other 50 files the links don't work to master file. Can we cut and paste (rather than just copy) the master file to another location and will the links follow the file to the new location? If not, is there a bulk way of changing the addresses in the formulas to the new location of the master file. Ideally for all 50 at once or at worst for all tabs in each file at once. Thanks R...

text not wrapping in column
I have an Excel spread sheet with columns of wrapped text. At a certain point, the text stops wrapping. If I try to shrink to fit, the text disappears. Any ideas? ...

Text Form Field Maximum Character Length
I want to have a text form field that has a maximum character limit of 300 characters. I go into properties and set the max length to 300 and select calculate on exit, but it doesn't stop entries over the 300 characters. Any suggestions? It is Word 2003. -- Thanks, Angie ...