Chart items moving around

Hi everybody!
I have posted this before but I never got any replies so I did some testing
myself. I I want to share what I have found out with you and it would be
great to hear if someone else recognizes this.

Background:
I have a number of embedded charts on a scorecard sheet that gets updated
from several sources. I run this scorecard for different business units, take
pictures of the scorecards and put in another Excel file that I later make a
PDF of.

Problem: After running this a few times, I find that my chart legends have
moved around a bit and that some plot areas have been resized.

Solution: I have two macros. One that saves information about size and
postion of chart elements, which I run once when I have set up the charts as
I want them, and one that reformats the charts according to the saved
information, which I run after each run of the scorecard.

My findings: This seem to happen for charts where the legend is not at a
default placement (top, bottom, left, right, corner) and the chart is
automatically reformatted due to new data (or simply when you zoom in and out
a few times).

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug?
(I'm using Excel 2003. Try this by creating a simple chart and move the
legend manually, then zoom in and out a couple of times and see if the legend
has moved.)

/Marcus

Marcus,

Something to try...
In the "format chart area" dialog box, on the "font" tab, uncheck "auto scale"

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Marcus Langell" <MarcusLangell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
8/11/2005 6:13:07 PM
Thanks, but that does not solve it. (You can test the effect by creating an
embedded chart, move the legend manually and zoom in and out a few times.
You'll find that the legend is not at the place where you originally put it,
regardless of the font setting.)

/Marcus

"Jim Cone" wrote:

> Marcus,
>
> Something to try...
> In the "format chart area" dialog box, on the "font" tab, uncheck "auto scale"
>
> Regards,
> Jim Cone
> San Francisco, USA
>

> "Marcus Langell" <MarcusLangell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody!
> I have posted this before but I never got any replies so I did some testing
> myself. I I want to share what I have found out with you and it would be
> great to hear if someone else recognizes this.
>
> Background:
> I have a number of embedded charts on a scorecard sheet that gets updated
> from several sources. I run this scorecard for different business units, take
> pictures of the scorecards and put in another Excel file that I later make a
> PDF of.
>
> Problem: After running this a few times, I find that my chart legends have
> moved around a bit and that some plot areas have been resized.
>
> Solution: I have two macros. One that saves information about size and
> postion of chart elements, which I run once when I have set up the charts as
> I want them, and one that reformats the charts according to the saved
> information, which I run after each run of the scorecard.
>
> My findings: This seem to happen for charts where the legend is not at a
> default placement (top, bottom, left, right, corner) and the chart is
> automatically reformatted due to new data (or simply when you zoom in and out
> a few times).
>
> Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug?
> (I'm using Excel 2003. Try this by creating a simple chart and move the
> legend manually, then zoom in and out a couple of times and see if the legend
> has moved.)
>
> /Marcus

I think the answer is to follow Jim Cone's suggestion, but also no
change the Zoom settings.  I wrote a suite of routines to do a simila
thing (roll-in different sets of data into the same chart source, the
copy/paste as metafile the chart), but I wrote into the routine t
always set the source sheet zoom to 100 whenever run, so that even i
the user changed the zoom, it wouldn't cause that problem.

BizMar

--
BizMark

Legend on Chart

Moving numbers to two decimal places i think...
well heres my problem- im trying to copy a "total" price from exce into a vbe using a controlsource, the problem is in excel it display �593.01 but in vbe i get 593.009, how could i set it up to display pound sign and take it to the nearest two decimal places -- 4nd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 4ndy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1494 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26585 Hi 4ndy, Sub Tester() Dim MyVar As Double MyVar = Sheets("Sheet1&qu...

Moving within the dialogue causes assertion failure!!!
Can anybody tell me the steps how should i modify the Dialogues in the working project?The moment i just change the places of the controls in the same dialogue i get assertion failure(i do not touch any code). or Is there any sample project in msdn? Thanks Its too vague to figure out whats going on. You should debug it and see what the offending assert says. Step in the code from the point where the assert is fired. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "sameer" <sameermanagoli@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:03e401c35215$f1e05e70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > C...

Demographic chart?

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

A way to check who made a change to item
Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check who made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history for the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext description etc.)? No, there's no audit trail for property changes. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "The Comedian" <TheComedia...

What are items ?
Hello A Consistency Check is running since about 14 hours on our file server. In the job details, I see "Items scanned : 45139919". What are those items ? Are these files ? I'm quite surprised that we have 45 millions files, although I never did a "dir /s" ! Pierrot Yes it means you have so many files for protection. Please verify the same on the production servers' protected directory/volume. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "wpher56" <jstealque@hotmail....

Chart items moving around

Creating calendar items programatically & remotely
Hi, I am considering a project to provide our sales staff with information from a central business system (Win2K3/ASP/SQL2K)and file server, The problem is thier tool of choice is Outlook as the functions are contact/calendar based and they are remote/home based, accessing the business system over a VPN. If it goes ahead, I will probably procure a hosted exchange solution for them but without knowing upfront if SQL integration is possible , it may be the wrong choice. These are the types of things I will need to program in, anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it possible create calendar it...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Mass Update to make items available on website
Is there a way to do a mass update to change item properties to enable the "item is available on website" box? I'd rather not go through 1000+ items manually to do this. I am using RMS and Nitrosell. Thanks! Hi Julie - you could run an update query using SO administrator. I am not familar with the Nitrosell application, you may want to consult with the company that sold you this solution. Usually not all your inventory items will be available for sale on your web site, but I'm not sure how Nitrosell interacts with the web item flag... Anyway if your partner approve...

Moving User Mailboxes to a Different Server
How do I move a user mailbox to a different server. Our organization is currently have space issues on 1 of our 3 exchange server and I would like to move a few users around to even out the space. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Analyzer/1709e5fe-a070-4985-a4b9-8fe67c46b055.mspx?mfr=true David A. Bermingham, MCSE, MCSA:Messaging Senior Systems Engineer www.steeleye.com Dan wrote: > How do I move a user mailbox to a different server. Our organization is > currently have space issues on 1 of our 3 exchange server and I would like to > move a few users around...

In icon view ListCtrl,how to display 5 rows text per item?
In general,ListCtrl of icon view can display only 2 rows of text per item(the remaining will display in "..."),but now i want to display 5 rows,how can i do that? thanks! Hi, I believe you will have to resort to owner drawing the items. Regards Chris "yangxiaoxiang" <littlewarm@163.com> wrote in message news:%23eUOjzNWDHA.208@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > In general,ListCtrl of icon view can display only 2 rows of text per > item(the remaining will display in "..."),but now i want to display 5 > rows,how can i do that? > thanks! > > T...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Purchase Line Items in SmartList
I using GP 7.0 I generate a SmartList Report in the Purchase Line Items where I need to see all POs with the Document Status = OPEN. There are some POs that status should be history because they were fully received against. How do I change the document status to history? Also, I notice some items on the PO were not completely received and the remaining items are canceled. Example I purchase 250 I received 240 so I canceled 10 remaining items. How can I move this PO into history so it will not show up as open? Thanks in advance for your help, Kevin You need to go to to Routines>...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...