character limit in cell?

I merged several cells and entered text.  I have it set
to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells.
If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all
displayed.  However, if I enter any more text than that
it displays as '#######'.  Is there a limit on the number
of characters I can enter?  Can that be changed.  There
is still room in the merged cells to hold more text.
0
anonymous (74719)

Abby,

You don't seem to be getting any takers on this one.  ####, to my knowledge,
shows up only when you have a number in a cell (not text), and it's too big
to display in its entirety.  Excel will lop of text that doesn't fit, but
not digits of a number.  I've tried to reproduce your merged cells with Wrap
text problem, and it is behaving as I described above.  No amount of messing
with the row height, or Format - Row - Autofit, will reproduce your problem.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"abby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I merged several cells and entered text.  I have it set
> to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells.
> If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all
> displayed.  However, if I enter any more text than that
> it displays as '#######'.  Is there a limit on the number
> of characters I can enter?  Can that be changed.  There
> is still room in the merged cells to hold more text.

0
nowhere8060 (363)
10/31/2003 7:14:24 PM
From HELP within Excel  --  Excel limitations - characters in a cell

              32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767
display in the formula bar.

"abby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: I merged several cells and entered text.  I have it set
: to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells.
: If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all
: displayed.  However, if I enter any more text than that
: it displays as '#######'.  Is there a limit on the number
: of characters I can enter?  Can that be changed.  There
: is still room in the merged cells to hold more text.

0
nospam202 (664)
10/31/2003 8:28:36 PM
Try formatting the cell as General.

If all the text doesn't appear (just truncates at the bottom), you could add
some alt-enters to force a new line within the cell.

And autofitting of merged cells doesn't work, but Jim Rech has posted this
routine that may help you (if you have the problem):

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

abby wrote:

> I merged several cells and entered text.  I have it set
> to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells.
> If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all
> displayed.  However, if I enter any more text than that
> it displays as '#######'.  Is there a limit on the number
> of characters I can enter?  Can that be changed.  There
> is still room in the merged cells to hold more text.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

extracting sheets on the basis of Row character
Hi, I have the below data...i have only shown the st column but i have the data in 15 coulmns. Like this i have 20 sheets... and i need a separate sheets for the name that are contained in column A ie separate sheet for "Mark" where it will extract the data from 20 sheets where there is row with name mark... Name Mark Steve Mark Gary Mark Gary Steve Regards, radha If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line ...

#### being printed instead of characters
I have a text cell that when it prints the cell prints out as all ######. I have tried to expand to cell but still get only the characters #. Is there a limit on the number of characters that will fit into a cell? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From the XL2000 Help file, "Worksheet and workbook specifications": Length of cell contents (text) - 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. HTH Ed "mconville" <mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-...

Adding everything but last cell
Hi Col A contains serial numbers. These maybe be repeated Col B Contains Dates Col C Contains Price Serial 123 12-03-05 50.25 123 13-03-05 45.20 123 14-03-05 50.15 123 15-03-05 30.20 456 11-04-05 15.25 456 12-04-05 41.25 789 08-02-05 16.20 789 09-02-05 12.30 789 12-02-05 15.30 How can I sum up each of the prices except the last one in each case? the answer for serial 123 should be 145.60 the answer for serial 456 should be 15.25 the answer for serial 789 should be 28.50 Any help appreciated one way =SUMIF(B1:B21,2)-INDEX(B1:C21,MATCH(2,B1:B21),2) -- Don Guill...

delete all characters after an character
Hi I have a spread sheet where I have a colum with pack size ex: 10/20'. I would like to remove all character after the slash (/). I cannot use any of amount of character beacause it's not always the same format but the slash is always there. Remember I have over 10000 lines. Thank any help will be appreciated. try this. Also removes the / Sub findslash() For Each c In Selection x = InStr(c, "/") - 1 MsgBox Left(c, x) Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jean-Francois Boucher" <Jean-Francois Boucher@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

cut and paste limitations for TO Field
I use Outlook 2002 and an Exchange 2000 server. The clients in question have workstations ranging from Windows SE to XP. We have a program that puts email addresses into the clipboard. when I paste to Outlook 2002, I only get about 1400 of the 4800 email addresses. However, if I paste the email addresses to OWA all 4800 addresses are listed. If I paste to Excel I get about 1400 email addresses. If I export from the application and import into a folder in Outlook I get all addresses. Is there a limitation in Outlook from pasting so many email addresses in the TO or BCC fields? ...

Odd Characters showing up in e-mails sent to contacts
When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd characters show up in the e-mails. The characters usually look like this “, this ” or this †Any ideas on how to prevent this? Sometimes this occurs if you compose the email in another application and paste it into a CRM email template or email form. Try re-typing the email directly in the CRM template or form. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd > ch...

how to display text when a cell>0 ?
Hi there. i have something like this: A B C D 1 hello 1 2 test 0 3 bye 1 Now i want to display hello at D7 when B1>0 So the output should be: A B C D 1 hello 1 hello 2 test 0 3 bye 1 bye How can i do this? thanks, Jan Willem Jan, try this, =IF(B1>0,A1,"") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Janwillem" &...

format cell with maximum value
I have a list of number, say 10rows by 10 columns. I want to specify a conditional setting for each cell so that if the cell has the highest value in its row, the cell will be coloured red. So I will get 10 cells that will be coloured red. How do I do that? Thanks Use conditional formatting. If your data starts in A7, then in A7, Format > Conditional Formatting. Use the drop-downs and text box to create your condition: If cell value is equal to =MAX($A7:$J7), then set your format appropriately. Copy the format through your entire table. "Frank Drost" wrote: > I have ...

Mailbox storage limits #3
Can somebody help please ? I'm trying to see how this limit stuff works. I've found plenty of articles on storage limits (& have learned a lot), but can't find an answer to the following. I set my own storage limit via AD. I purposely received some emails to exceed this limit. I received an admin message to indicate my mailbox is now closed - GOOD However, I can still send and receive email, from & to others within our network as well as from 'outside'. Is there a time delay before the mailbox is 'properly' closed ? otherwise why can I still operate the...

Strange Character
I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file. The character appears as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a manual page break that I can find, edit and replace. So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and replace on it? If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks, Bernie Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny characters. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm If you have to do this lots of times, I'd recor...

Issue skiping characters by Regular Expressions searching Word
When using Regular Expression search using VBA script in Excel to search Word document, "-" character in the word document gets skiped (substituted with "" empty character). Here is the string in Word: <DE4.0><SWR4.4.l‑CE6:A> Here is the snipet of VBA code used: With Selector.Find .text = "\<DE?*^13" .Replacement.text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindzz .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWild...

What is the Cell address of a Graphed point?
Is there a way to cover or click on a point on a graph and be informed of the cell location(s) the data is coming from? (Of course I can go to source data to see the range and then go find that value, but I'm looking for a better way). To be clear, I'm not looking for the range, I'm looking for the specific cell or cells that make up the value my mounse is pointing to. Thanks! Hi, Not an easy thing to do. Firstly you need to capture the event of the point being selected. So for that see Jon Peltier's article http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 He al...

Global recipient limit and distribution lists with a lot of member
Hi all, I have to set the global recipient limit to 100 in our Exchange 2003 organization. We have some distribution lists which have more than 100 members, but everybody does not have the permission to send messages to these lists. I set the recipient limit to 5000 at user-level at those users who have permission to send messages. Will it work? Will they be able to send messages to DLs which have 2000 members in spite of the global setting? Will it work with query-based distribution lists as well? Thank you very much, bolo Should work, the user setting should override the global se...

pi character
Hi, I am trying to create a string which includes the pi symbol using: str.Format(_T("%s%c"),_T("-"),(TCHAR)0x03C0); When I use TextOut to place the string on a graph I get an A with a squiggly above it. I am using VC++ 6. Any help will be appreciated thanks bill Do you have a Unicode application? If not, 0x03C0 is not interpreted as the Greek and Coptic Code page (based on ISO-8859-7), as the character C0 (the 03 is discarded as meaningless). You could have written this without the Format operation and it would be as meaningful. Compile with _UNICODE and UNICODE...

Special Characters
I do any programming by recording macros and then trying to adapt them to fit my situation. I frequently run into unexplored territory. I need to know where to find how to use ampersands, periods, quotes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. -- BillR I don't think there is a specific answer for this. Just trial and error, school of hard knocks, lots and lots of practice, etc. You can read books, and read through posts here. Read as many posts as you have time for. Try to answer some questions too!! You may be surprised about how much you learn!!!! ...

Excel cell address from cell contents
After years with Quattro Pro, I'm diving into Excel 2007. One conversion problem involves INDIRECT as a substitute for QPro's @@ function. Suppose a workbook with a SUMMARY sheet (tab) and a 1989 sheet In SUMMARY, cell A4 has the value 1989, and cell A41 is a string from A4's value (QPro) or just a value reference (=a4) in Excel In B41 I want the value in cell C18 of sheet 1989 In Qpro I have: @@(cell("contents",$A41)&":$c$18") In Excel I have: =INDIRECT(CELL("contents",$A41)&"!"&"$c$18) Question: Is...

Randomize character positions in string
Dear all, I want to randomize character positions in string. Example : jhonny --> onyhjn freddy --> dfyerd Please help. Thanks. Chlaris On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:51:27 +0700, "Chlaris" <chlarrissa_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: What are you REALLY trying to accomplish? -Tom. >Dear all, > >I want to randomize character positions in string. > >Example : > >jhonny --> onyhjn >freddy --> dfyerd > >Please help. Thanks. > >Chlaris > I have employee name field. I want create a module to change the character position in employee n...

Limits of Pivot chart
I created dynamic pivot chart based on Pivot table. But I don't like this chart much since it change to default when I "refresh data". My question How can I create a normal dynamic chart based on a pivot table which will not change to default when I hit refresh data? Thanks for your help. Daniel Hi, See here for more information on the bug regarding pivot chart formating and how to work with and around them. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Cheers Andy Daniel wrote: > I created dynamic pivot chart based on Pivot table. But I don't like this ...

Sum cells flagged by other cells
I need to know how to sum cell values in column b, if the corresponding row in column c value is equal to 1. Column B contains the data, column C contains flags to use or not use the data. All help is greatly appreciated. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** =SUMIF(C2:C50,1,B2:B50) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ian" <ian@lbisat.com> wrote in message news:40914445$0$198$75868355@news.frii.net... > I need to know how to sum cell values in column b, if the co...

Public folder limits #3
I have a single public folder sore (only one allowed) that conatins a couple of calendars and some folders. I want to periodically delete all posts in the folders older than 90 days. I know there is a limits option in exhcange 2003 on the public folder store but Microsoft state you sholdn't set to delete items on calendars...so, how can I for folders, the only option on the folder itself is to delete 'replicas' after a certain number of days. On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:10:05 -0700, Fabrussio <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a single public folder s...

Characters
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters? Unicode 263A, UTF-8 E2 98 BA, in Character Viewer under "Miscellaneous Symbols" or search for the name "smile". Word will autocorrect :-) to a smiley face unless you specifically remove that Autocorrect entry. Loo...

NDR for msg over specified limit
I have set up mail forwarding to a non-local contact who is set up in the active directory, and have specified a limit on the message size that can be forwarded. How can I stop NDR's being returned to the sender when their message to the contact is over this size? TIA, Andy On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:31:55 -0700, Andy <bob@bob.com> wrote: >I have set up mail forwarding to a non-local contact who is set up in the >active directory, and have specified a limit on the message size that can >be forwarded. How can I stop NDR's being returned to the sender when their >...

macro to save worksheet using a cell reference
I'm working from a template and would like to save the speadsheet using a cell reference, or even better to a notepad using the a cell reference. Thank you!!! Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates Training Add-ins. Free Excel Forum & Business Software how about... Sub SaveTest() Dim TheName TheName = Range("B2").Text Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _ Filename:="C:\My Documents\Desired Folder\" & TheName, _ FileFormat:=xlNormal, _ Password:="", _ WriteResPassword:="", _ ReadOnlyRecommended:=Fal...

cppying multiple cells using left cell only
when copying multiple cells to another position or another sheet, the upper left hand cell will not paste all the other cells to the new position Are there any hidden rows and columns that are getting those new values? don wrote: > > when copying multiple cells to another position or another > sheet, the upper left hand cell will not paste all the > other cells to the new position -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Selecting cells containing spcific character(s)
Hello, I need to know how to get Excel to select all cells within a specific column that contain a specific character. In this instance, I need to select all the cells which contain a comma... And even better would be if I could get Excel to not just select all the cells in a specific column containing a comma, but each of the rows in which those cells reside. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. Thanks. -- ianwitt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ianwitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...