changing the formula's row reference

In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30, etc.
 In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
always the same.

However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same, and
the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?

Thanks!

0
redb (9)

You could do a search and replace, Ctrl-H.

--

HTH

RP

"redb" <redb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
> worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30,
etc.
>  In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
> always the same.
>
> However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
> A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same,
and
> the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
> quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?
>
> Thanks!

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/26/2005 4:17:44 PM
this should do it but I suggest defining a name for your ranges and using
that.
Sub changeformula()
For Each c In Selection
x = c.Formula
c.Formula = Left(x, Len(x) - 2) + "33"
Next
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"redb" <redb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
> worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30,
etc.
>  In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
> always the same.
>
> However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
> A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same,
and
> the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
> quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?
>
> Thanks!

0
Don
4/26/2005 4:21:16 PM
Hello redb-

Select the cells containing your "=BB30" formulae. Go to the Edit Bar and
change the row ref to =BB35 and hold the Ctrl key while you press Enter.

HTH |:>)

"redb" wrote:

> In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
> worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30, etc.
>  In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
> always the same.
>
> However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
> A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same, and
> the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
> quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?
>
> Thanks!

0
CyberTaz (411)
4/26/2005 4:23:02 PM
you can also use this formula to auto adjust where you are looking for a
number larger than possible. Use "zzzzz" for text

=INDIRECT("bb"&MATCH(9999999,bb:bb))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"redb" <redb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
> worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30,
etc.
>  In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
> always the same.
>
> However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
> A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same,
and
> the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
> quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?
>
> Thanks!

0
Don
4/26/2005 4:24:24 PM
Hi redb-

Apology for my earlier reply. Misread your post, and although what I offered
would work if your formulae & data in rows _or_ columns, it won't if the
formulae are in a column & your data is in a row. Sorry for the mis-info.

Bob's suggestion is a much better and more effective solution if that is how
your data is set up. As per your example, select the cells in column A,
'Find' for 30 & 'Replace' with 31.

Regards |:>)

"redb" wrote:

> In column A, I have a number of formulae that refer to other cells on the
> worksheet.  For example, in A1, the formula is = BB30, A2=BD30, A3=BG30, etc.
>  In these formulae, the columns are all different, but the row number is
> always the same.
>
> However, I need to update the formulae to reflect a new row, so that
> A1=BB31, A2=BD31, A3=BG31.  The old column references will stay the same, and
> the row references will all be the same number.  Is there a way to do this
> quickly and easily for a large number of formulae?
>
> Thanks!

0
CyberTaz (411)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Hidden rows unhide themselves when formulas are written
I have a worksheet with many hidden rows & columns. However, when I try to write a formula in this worksheet, these hidden rows & columns automatically unhide themselves. Is there any way to disable this? ...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

Average formula #6
What formula do I use to calculate a weekly average as the monthly tota changes? Example: july total value divided by 28weeks, august value divided b 32 weeks, sept value divided by 36 weeks and so on In other words, a weekly average as each month ends and the value i entered I hope someone understands this and can help thanks so much lesli -- onyx481 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- onyx4813's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47137 As...

How to change newsgroup message font

Hiding Rows Using IF Statement
I would like to be able to hide a number of rows based on the response to a question.. The response to the question is a list box with either "yes" or "no" as the choices.. If the response = "no" then I would like to hide the next 3 rows, otherwise do nothing.. Is there a "hide" command of some sort that I can use as part of an IF statement or will I have to use a macro? -- Thanks Larry Larry, see my response in your other post - must be done with VBA code, and I provided code there: http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi...

Formulas #38
Ok, I use to have a spreadsheet that would self populate data from an attached spreadsheet. The way it worked is that I had one spreadsheet that contained data and another that was a form. Basically it was set up so that I could enter the row number from the data spreadsheet on the from spreadsheet and it would fill in the form with the appropriate data. Now I need to set up another spreadsheet the same way, but I can't seem to remember the formula. Is there anyone out there that does something like this. I would greatly appreciate any help. Jesse13579 Wrote: > Ok, I use ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Refering to lowest record in select subquery
HI All, In the subquery below how would I refer to the lowest 3 orderID? Thanks in advance for any help SELECT Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID FROM Orders WHERE Orders.OrderID IN (SELECT TOP 3 OrderID FROM Orders AS Dupe WHERE Dupe.CustomerID = Orders.CustomerID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID DESC) ORDER BY Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID ASC) You might need to remove " Dupe.OrderDate DESC, "...

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

How do use the if formula
How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATISFACTORY if that is not the case? if each score is in cells A1 to A4 then use =IF(AVERAGE(A1:A4)>=36,"PASSING ","UNSATISFACTORY ") -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Fahim" wrote: > How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the > project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATIS...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Creating charts from formula results
Im trying to create a chart in Excel based on the reult of a column or formula's I wrote. The chart just seems to show the formula as its values, can anyone help? I had a list of employee ages and used a formula to indicate their age bracket (e.g. 16-24, 25-30, 31-40 etc). I now want a bar chart that will show how many employee's are in each bracket. Help is much appreciated asap as its for my job. Thanks in advance. -- Boba Fett ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boba Fett's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...