Changing printer while excel-file is open

Hello,

I have an Excel-file with about 2MB which contains a lot of
formattings and named cells. If I now change my Default Printer in the
Control Panel while this file is open then Excel needs a few seconds
to overtake this new setting. If I then take a look at my open file
then I suddenly can see the pagebreaks which were not there before.
After that my program tries to hide/unhide columns. But this action
now takes much more time than before changing the Default Printer -
before it needed about 0,1s and now about 4,0s.
I have a similar Excel-file where this does NOT happen. So it must
depend on that file. It also happens if I change the Default Printer
again to the old one - just if I once change it Excel becomes very
slow on (un)hiding columns.
It happens at least with Excel 2000 and Excel XP.
Does anybody have any idea what I could do against it?

Thank you very much in advance
Dirk

Excel uses the printer driver to determine where the page breaks should go.

Some printers can print more rows/columns than others.

This is a guess.

Try Tools|Options|View and uncheck PageBreaks before you change printers.

Maybe excel sees that you want to show them and figures that it should determine
them as soon as possible.

I know that leaving the pagebreaks showing can slow down macros that delete/add
rows or columns because excel is taking time to determine where the new
location(s) should be.

Another option is to try to make your print settings more generic.  Be
conservative on your margins.  Make it match the worst printer you have.

Then when excel sees the change, maybe your generic settings will not need to be
updated.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

thanks for your fast answer which really helped me. I took a look at
the option "PageBreaks" and found the following curious thing: I have
opened my two example-files and took a look at the option: it was not
set in both cases. Now I changed the default-printer and again took a
look at that setting: not it was suddenly set in case of the file
which creates problems.
So the question is why does Excel suddenly set this option in case of
a special file?
But while taking a look at this I found a solution for my problem:
before again (un)hiding columns I just set on all worksheets the
property "DisplayPageBreaks" to FALSE. Then it works fine again.
But still the question "Why" arises... Do you have maybe any idea?

To your other idea: I just set the borders on very high values so that
each printer should be able to print it in the same way - but that
didn't help.

Thanks in advance
Dirk

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:25:43 -0600, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com>
wrote:

>Excel uses the printer driver to determine where the page breaks should go.
>
>Some printers can print more rows/columns than others.
>
>This is a guess.
>
>Try Tools|Options|View and uncheck PageBreaks before you change printers.
>
>Maybe excel sees that you want to show them and figures that it should determine
>them as soon as possible.
>
>I know that leaving the pagebreaks showing can slow down macros that delete/add
>rows or columns because excel is taking time to determine where the new
>location(s) should be.
>
>Another option is to try to make your print settings more generic.  Be
>conservative on your margins.  Make it match the worst printer you have.
>
>Then when excel sees the change, maybe your generic settings will not need to be
>updated.

I don't have a guess why, but I can tell you that it does the same thing with
xl2002 and win98.

I never noticed it until now, but the same thing happens when I changed printers
via file|Print in excel.

And I've never seen that pagebreaks setting checked right after I opened the
file.  I had to either do a printpreview, a print or (now I know), change
printers.

I'm guessing it isn't a special file--just something that showed those dotted
lines.

=====
How about this for your next try.
Close your file (save it if necessary)
change the printer
reopen your file.

If it takes less than 4 minutes, you're ahead of the game.  (not very pretty,
though).

And I don't know if it'll just delay the 4 minutes until you do a print or
printpreview.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

thanks for your answer. If I reopen the file after changing the
printer then it always works fine. It just happens if I change the
default-printer while this special file is open.

Thanx
Dirk

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:48:22 -0600, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com>
wrote:

>I don't have a guess why, but I can tell you that it does the same thing with
>xl2002 and win98.
>
>I never noticed it until now, but the same thing happens when I changed printers
>via file|Print in excel.
>
>And I've never seen that pagebreaks setting checked right after I opened the
>file.  I had to either do a printpreview, a print or (now I know), change
>printers.
>
>I'm guessing it isn't a special file--just something that showed those dotted
>lines.
>
>=====
>How about this for your next try.
>Close your file (save it if necessary)
>change the printer
>reopen your file.
>
>If it takes less than 4 minutes, you're ahead of the game.  (not very pretty,
>though).
>
>And I don't know if it'll just delay the 4 minutes until you do a print or
>printpreview.

Excel 04-07-10
When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format --> Cell --> [Alignment] tab and choose the Vertical Alignment setting you want: top, center, bottom, justified or distributed. "patcher" wrote: > When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line > and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format the cells to have bottom alignment in the Horizontal option. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:58:01 -0700, patcher <patcher@discussion...

how to use excel to creat an oncall schedule
i wantb to creat oncall schedule for doctors in a hospital. each 2 doctors would be on call for 12 hours a day. it can look like calendar and it should calculae how many days each one was oncall up to date. ...

getpivotdata in excel 2007
=+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the pivot table is called "pivot1" and the reference cells represent (name of doc), (date), (procedure type). I get a REF# I have spent hours already and need a solution fast. Please Fern wrote: > =+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) > > I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the > pivot table is called "pivot1" and...

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Why does the change change to a number?

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Simple EXCEL worksheet function
I am creating an EXCEL worksheet of people's names, company and location. I need to do a simple sort on name. When the list goes beyond 250, the sort function stops working. Is this a limitation of EXCEL? If so, can I continue the list on "Sheet 2", "Sheet 3" etc and still be able to sort through all the lists as if they are one? #1. Select the entire range you want to sort--don't let excel guess. I'm guessing that you have an empty row in the real range to sort and excel is guessing wrong. #2. Nope. Excel doesn't support this type of...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Excel taking a long time to delete?
I have a macro which allows me to search for documents with certain criteria, and then writes hyperlinks to those documents into a range of cells on my active worksheet. When I do a new search or when I'm done with the workbook, I delete the entire column. The hyperlinks are written well to the right of and below my data range, so deleting the column doesn't involve shifting any data or formulas, and calculation is set to manual. I've noticed, though, that it usually takes several minutes to delete the one single column. I could get by with just deleting the contents, but now ...

Export OWC to Excel
Hi, Is there anyway that we can export a graph that is generated using OWC to excel programmatically? I know we can do do the export from one of the buttons in the owc chart control itself. What I am looking for is the programmatic way of doing it. Please help. Regards, Rajesh ...

epson printer
im having trouble with my printer can anyone help me. the problem is it is giving error after every print or doesnt finish the print and just stops and says unsuccessful. i turn off then on and it does same thing. what can i do besides buy a new one.can anyone help. i have tried everything buy not working and i cant leave off because then my draw doesnt open. What kind of printer is it? What are you trying to print? What kind of interface (serial, usb)? What drivers are you using (Opos or windows)? Post this information and someone will probably be able to help you. Kinnard L. Koh...

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Running Excel 2000 & 2007 Bug
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA53A0.C4136A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am able to run 2000 and 2007 on the same machine ok except for the = following The File Type associations are messed up. I have a bunch of files that = were created in 2000 and they have the *.xls extension. I want these = files(when double clicked) to open in Excel 2000. However, Excel 2007 = is dominating this action. I have tried changing the association for the *.xls file type to version = 200...