Changing date formats?

I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probabl
fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In on
column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a dat
format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:

Original: 20060105
New: 1/5/2006

I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long
I tried format cells and it didn't work.

However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, an
day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there
small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year
and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?

Please help ASAP!!!

--
lakegoddes
lakegoddess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1864

You might try selecting the range of data and run this:

Sub a()
    Dim Cell As Range
    For Each Cell In Selection
        Cell.Value = Left(Cell.Value, 4) & "/" & _
          Mid(Cell.Value, 5, 2) & "/" & _
             Right(Cell.Value, 2)
    Next
End Sub

--
Jim

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18646
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498746

0
jrrech (1933)
1/6/2006 5:03:19 PM
select the column, do data>text to columns, click next twice and under
column data format select date and from dropdown select YMD
click finsih. Done!

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

wrote in message

> I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probably
> fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In one
> column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a date
> format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:
>
> Original: 20060105
> New: 1/5/2006
>
> I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long.
> I tried format cells and it didn't work.
>
> However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, and
> day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there a
> small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year)
> and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?
>
> Please help ASAP!!!!
>

> --
> lakegoddess
> lakegoddess's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18646
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498746

0
terre081 (3244)
1/6/2006 5:06:15 PM
For the cell you want the format changed, add a corresponding formula

=VALUE(MID(G15,1,4)&"/"&MID(G15,5,2)&"/"&MID(G15,7,2))

For the cell with the formula, set a format as described below...

Right click and select the FORMAT option.

On the number tab, select "Custom" and key in "m/d/yyyy".

Click ok. The format should be changed.

"lakegoddess" wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probably
> fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In one
> column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a date
> format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:
>
> Original: 20060105
> New: 1/5/2006
>
> I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long.
> I tried format cells and it didn't work.
>
> However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, and
> day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there a
> small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year)
> and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?
>
> Please help ASAP!!!!
>

> --
> lakegoddess
> lakegoddess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18646
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498746

0
Vijay1 (49)
1/6/2006 5:16:04 PM
Hi,

There may well be a VBA solution, but if no one gets back to you with that,
here's a work around that will at least get you what you need.

Assuming that your data starts in A5, enter this formula in a blank column,
copy it down the 10000 rows, then copy and paste special as values over the
origianl data.

=(CONCATENATE(LEFT(A5,4),"/",MID(A5,5,2),"/",RIGHT(A5,2)))*1

-- ERR229

"lakegoddess" wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probably
> fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In one
> column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a date
> format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:
>
> Original: 20060105
> New: 1/5/2006
>
> I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long.
> I tried format cells and it didn't work.
>
> However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, and
> day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there a
> small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year)
> and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?
>
> Please help ASAP!!!!
>

> --
> lakegoddess
> lakegoddess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18646
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498746

0
ERR229 (29)
1/6/2006 5:19:02 PM
Wow, thanks guys! I used Peo Sjoblom's idea (short and simple) but I'm
sure everything else works like magic too! Thanks so much!!!

--
lakegoddess
lakegoddess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18646
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498746

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

automatically insert current date
Hello Group, I'm trying to create a Fax template in which the date field will automatically fill in with the current date. I've downloaded some of the MS templates which will do this, but I have no way of knowing or seeing what code is in that field. If I'm doing a template on my own, how to I get the date to update to current one automatically? Many thanks. Jack The application you are using is? JClark wrote: > Hello Group, > > I'm trying to create a Fax template in which the date field will > automatically fill in with the current date....

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

Convert dates stored as text
I have Excel 2007 in English, but I sometimes receive data that comes from another applicationes, so dates are stored as text because they come in following format: dd/mm/yyyy. And I have the format mm/dd/yyyy. So, in the same column, I have dates stored as dates, and dates stored as text. Which is the easiest way to convert them all to date format? Thanks in advance. Regards, Emece.- Be careful. I'd bet that those values that come in as real dates aren't what the original data represent. For instance, if you have two values: 25/12/2010 and 01/02/2010 The...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Count the cels with the same collor made with conditional formatting!
Hi all, Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a chart. Thanks! Greetz, Jan ;-)) Hi Jan have a look at this previous discussion http://tinyurl.com/3xr9b -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Freesurfer wrote: > Hi all, > > Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my > worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. > I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Exporting a date field in Excel to an Outlook Calendar?
Is this possible? ...

Should I change this code?

How to convert amount in word format (Like 40.00 is Rs. Forty )
I want to convert a value of cell in word format, Like i have a value in cell is 40000.00 (i want to convert it into Rs. Forty Thousand Only) is there any formula in excel for this function See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA0668EA-7A00-4036-A787-A16939314899@microsoft.com... > I want to convert a value of cell in word format, > > Like i have a value in cell is 40000.00 > > (i want to convert...

00/01/1900 In the date cell when linked cell is empty?
Hi I have 52 worksheets all linked up to a total sheet that is working very well thanks to RD All I need to do now is sort out the date this is copied from sheet1 onto the totals page and works fine when the date is put into sheet1. However if the cell is blank on sheet2 the date is put into the totals sheet as 00/01/1900 when the date is put in sheet2 all is well with the right date entered into the totals sheet. So how do I get the totals date to stay blank until the weekly sheets have a date put into the sheet please. the format I am using is below many thanks for all the help I ...

Unreadable date
I enter a date into a cell, such as 1/16/2006, and it appears as ######## when I hit enter or click on another cell. Why? the ######## just shows when there is not enough room to show the value of the cell. Either change the format to something smaller m/d/yyyy or enlarge the column "Mark" wrote: > I enter a date into a cell, such as 1/16/2006, and it appears as ######## > when I hit enter or click on another cell. Why? ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Save Changes? #2

macro for repeat task and format interior
Hi All, I'm trying to check out repeated value on column Q and the hightlighted entire cell on the left.I put the code that found from Sample,and trying to modified it but I made a mistake.I can't select entire cell on the left, I just can highlight 2 cell ( offset(0.-3) and the cell on column A).Please help how to select entire cell to the left without interupted by blank cell. And also I want to put the copy of higlighted cell value to a new workbook. Thank's. Rgds, Shiro Sub Duplicate_Serial_Number() Dim eX As Integer Dim cell_in_loop As Range eX = ActiveSheet....