Changing a result ending in 32ths to 16ths i.e. 5 5/32 to 5 3/16

I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another cell I 
have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end with a 32 
fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16 i.e. 5 
3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in measures. We 
use 16ths and up. Please help!
0
WGL (3)
8/28/2004 7:13:07 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

5 Replies
613 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

In recent versions of Excel:

Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths

In older versions:

Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16

-- 

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:42D1BE0E-C302-457C-8261-B0A54EE21D4C@microsoft.com...
> I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another cell
I
> have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end with a
32
> fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16 i.e. 5
> 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in measures. We
> use 16ths and up. Please help!


0
nicolaus (2022)
8/28/2004 7:47:27 PM
Thanks Niek, but, that does not solve my problem.
I need the cell to finish in any other fraction but 32ths. In other words, 
if the result finish in a 32th, I want to make a formula that sums a .03125 
to that result.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

> In recent versions of Excel:
> 
> Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths
> 
> In older versions:
> 
> Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16
> 
> -- 
> 
> Kind Regards,
> 
> Niek Otten
> 
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> 
> "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:42D1BE0E-C302-457C-8261-B0A54EE21D4C@microsoft.com...
> > I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another cell
> I
> > have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end with a
> 32
> > fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16 i.e. 5
> > 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in measures. We
> > use 16ths and up. Please help!
> 
> 
> 
0
WGL (3)
8/29/2004 7:31:04 PM
Do the division, multiply the result by 16, round it to zero decimal places
and then divide the answer by 16.  With the starting value in A1:

=ROUND(A1/2*16,0)/16

Sandy

-- 
to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BD735D2D-8670-4E8E-A3CB-6D98D82D5E52@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Niek, but, that does not solve my problem.
> I need the cell to finish in any other fraction but 32ths. In other words,
> if the result finish in a 32th, I want to make a formula that sums a
..03125
> to that result.
>
> "Niek Otten" wrote:
>
> > In recent versions of Excel:
> >
> > Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths
> >
> > In older versions:
> >
> > Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16
> >
> > -- 
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Niek Otten
> >
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >
> > "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:42D1BE0E-C302-457C-8261-B0A54EE21D4C@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another
cell
> > I
> > > have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end
with a
> > 32
> > > fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16
i.e. 5
> > > 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in
measures. We
> > > use 16ths and up. Please help!
> >
> >
> >


0
sandymann (252)
8/29/2004 8:05:41 PM
YEESSSSS!
Exactly!
That's what I need, Sandy.......

Thanks a lot!

Willy

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

> Do the division, multiply the result by 16, round it to zero decimal places
> and then divide the answer by 16.  With the starting value in A1:
> 
> =ROUND(A1/2*16,0)/16
> 
> Sandy
> 
> -- 
> to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> 
> "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BD735D2D-8670-4E8E-A3CB-6D98D82D5E52@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Niek, but, that does not solve my problem.
> > I need the cell to finish in any other fraction but 32ths. In other words,
> > if the result finish in a 32th, I want to make a formula that sums a
> ..03125
> > to that result.
> >
> > "Niek Otten" wrote:
> >
> > > In recent versions of Excel:
> > >
> > > Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths
> > >
> > > In older versions:
> > >
> > > Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16
> > >
> > > -- 
> > >
> > > Kind Regards,
> > >
> > > Niek Otten
> > >
> > > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > >
> > > "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:42D1BE0E-C302-457C-8261-B0A54EE21D4C@microsoft.com...
> > > > I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another
> cell
> > > I
> > > > have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end
> with a
> > > 32
> > > > fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16
> i.e. 5
> > > > 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in
> measures. We
> > > > use 16ths and up. Please help!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
WGL (3)
8/29/2004 10:01:03 PM
Your welcome.  It's exactly the same answer that JE McGrimpsey gave to
another poster asking the same question on 23rd August.

Regards

Sansy

-- 
to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk


"WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D91B9F6C-A04C-4A43-8767-D3869EF5366B@microsoft.com...
> YEESSSSS!
> Exactly!
> That's what I need, Sandy.......
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Willy
>
> "Sandy Mann" wrote:
>
> > Do the division, multiply the result by 16, round it to zero decimal
places
> > and then divide the answer by 16.  With the starting value in A1:
> >
> > =ROUND(A1/2*16,0)/16
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > -- 
> > to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> >
> > "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:BD735D2D-8670-4E8E-A3CB-6D98D82D5E52@microsoft.com...
> > > Thanks Niek, but, that does not solve my problem.
> > > I need the cell to finish in any other fraction but 32ths. In other
words,
> > > if the result finish in a 32th, I want to make a formula that sums a
> > ..03125
> > > to that result.
> > >
> > > "Niek Otten" wrote:
> > >
> > > > In recent versions of Excel:
> > > >
> > > > Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths
> > > >
> > > > In older versions:
> > > >
> > > > Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > >
> > > > Kind Regards,
> > > >
> > > > Niek Otten
> > > >
> > > > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > > >
> > > > "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:42D1BE0E-C302-457C-8261-B0A54EE21D4C@microsoft.com...
> > > > > I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in
another
> > cell
> > > > I
> > > > > have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end
> > with a
> > > > 32
> > > > > fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16
> > i.e. 5
> > > > > 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in
> > measures. We
> > > > > use 16ths and up. Please help!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >


0
sandymann (252)
8/29/2004 11:17:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

External data link change
Hi, I've a sheet linked to an external data on the net, and I would like that a cell in this sheet to indicate the last date and time it was updated, the simplest way the better but I can do some programming too. Thanks for your attention, -- Domingos Junqueira No need of help any more, I solved the question. Thanks again ...

e-mail notification
I cannot get outlook to notify me when I receive e-mail in a shared inbox. I get notification when I receive e- mail into personal inbox. Would prefer to receive notification for shared inbox if I can't get notification for both. Thanks Hi, I just posted a similar message about outlook 2003. What version are you using? >-----Original Message----- >I cannot get outlook to notify me when I receive e-mail >in a shared inbox. I get notification when I receive e- >mail into personal inbox. Would prefer to receive >notification for shared inbox if I can't get noti...

Why does the change change to a number?
Hi all, I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens. When you type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a 'general' cell, it turns into a number. How does it come up with that number? What is the significance? i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format, and it then says "39423". I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up. I'm curious myself too. Thanks! Joe It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for windows (M...

Average days to pay #3
I just need a help from you all. Can any one of you please provide me the formula for caluclating average days to pay? And is debit memo's are considered for it? Please clarify. Thanks in advance. Hi Shree, Please find below the information on how the Average days to pay is calculated. TechKnowledge Content Issue: When and how is the Average Days to Pay calculated in the Customer Credit Summary window (Cards|Sales|Summary|Credit Summary)? Resolution: The Average Days to Pay field is updated when a debit document is fully applied. The average is recalculated as the document i...

changing the way Excel displays selected cells
Is there a way to change the way Excel displays selected cells? I'm interested in viewing all the selected cells highlighted (with light blue for instance), but by default excel highlights all the cells but not the first one the same occurs when you define a range with no adyacents cells Your definition of the display is not quite correct. Excel highlights the current cell, Excel also highlights a selecte range. The currently selected cell is generally the first of a range, bu press enter and the current cell changes and becomes the second, the third etc in the range. You cannot...

Track Changes
How do i remove the track changes in outlook? When i press "Enter", a symbol that represents "Enter" will appears. Same for space etc. ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5
I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930879 This will seemingly take care of calendars for mailboxes still on Exchange 5.5 servers, as Exchange 5.5 is listed as "compatible" . However would this address the CDO issues such as BlackBerry users and OWA users still on Exchange 5.5 ? Thanks in advance, Itrcb4 On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:31:00 -0800, itrcb4 <itrcb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: > >http://su...

more on VBA function name change
I thought I'd start a new thread since I haven't received any replies to my first one... To recap: I've declared a function in a module using mixed case: Function TMDE_Category (FormName As Form) I noticed recently that it appeared in the module as Function tmde_category(FormName As Form) I changed it back to the mixed case declaration, saved the module, exited the app, reopened it and looked. The function had changed back to the all lowercase declaration. Things I've tried since the original post: Using the databse documenter, I selected all ob...

Can't Publish changes with Deploy Manager
After a migration process, I can't publish the changes made on CRM. When I try do this in Deploy Manager I get the follow error: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Publish done with errors. See the event log to get deitails NETRA-INOVACAO: ***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from Web Server ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Can somebody help me? I don't know if the migration process have any relationship with the error. Thank you for pay attention. []'s Vin´┐Żcius Pitta...

How to change icon for my application
Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank you. Raed Sawalha wrote: > Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i > wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank > you. > > Open the icon resource for editing by double clicking. Then notice the control just above the editing grid that lets you switch between editing the large icon and editing the small one. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] thanx that work...

How to change newsgroup message font
Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? regards "nobody" wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane... > Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? Newsgroup messages are usually plain text. The font used is that selected at [no name tab] > Options > Mail > Read > Fonts for the encoding specified for the messag...

using IMAP and Outlook to share folders on 5.5 SP4?
I've got a client with 5.5 SP4 who wants to be able to drag an email from his inbox to a shared folder that his assistant can access. The server is outside their network, so can only use IMAP or POP3 I tried opening up port 143 for IMAP and created a new public folder using Outlook. I can see this new folder using Exchange Administrator app. When I drag an email from the Outlook inbox into the new public folder, I get a msg of: Can't move the items. The server responded: REFERRAL imap://userName:AUTH="@server.com/Public/%20Folders/Test] there is no replica for that mailbox o...

HELP!
When I access OWA and do any navigation other than the Inbox, I can almost always expect my Exchange 5.5 server to crash (with an unexpected restart in the Event Log). I'm on NT4.0 with SP6a and all the latest MS upgrades. Exchange 5.5 is up to date with all service packs. I access the Exchange server by port redirection on my DSL Router/Hub. All Inbox activity seem to work fine (i.e. look at emails, delete emails and create/send emails). It's when I go to places like the Deleted folder or the Contacts folder that server crash will take place. The server can run indefinately ...

Notify change of email address when changing ISP
How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? Thanks By sending a mail to everyone ? If you do so, please use BCC for the adresses, this way you won't spread everybody's e-mail adres to everybody. Niels Bob Baker wrote: > How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? > Thanks ...

Change a formula to an acual number
I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created Example: Cell A1 is the number 1. Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creatin the number 2. I want this to be a two not a formula. Any ideas? Laura, copy, then paste special, valves -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Mail Merge Publications as E-mails in Publishher 2003
I don't know what I'm missing but I'm sure someone can set me straight. 1) I want to send a Publisher e-mail template to people in my Outlook contacts. I'm familiar with mail merging in Word. 2) When I go through the mail merging process in Publisher, I see no option to actually send it as an e-mail. 3) I end up with a merge that has individual publications but no option to send these as e-mails. 4) If I do a similiar process in Word, at some point after I select that I want an e-mail, I get an option following through with the e-mail procedure. 5) I have read several post...

Problem Changing an Investment Name
I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted investment. Please enter a different name." When I go to delete investments the name does not appear! Any ideas on how I get Money to accept the name change? This is the first time I have run into this situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years. In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote: >I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name >or symbol 'TRP Spec...

Should I change this code?
Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help..........Bob Private Sub Command560_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command556_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "frmClientInfomation" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Exit_Command556_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command556_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command556_Click End Sub On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:37:26 +1200, "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help.....

How to change default font in Outlook 2003
Can someone tell me how to change tthe default font in Outlook 2003 when composing a new email. It always comes up as Times New Roman. I remember somewhere that I specified that Outlook should use Word as the text editor and that seems to be the case. I have Arial as my default font in Word but this seems to make no difference when using Outlook. Hi, Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Stationery and Fonts > Fonts It's right there :) On 20 Nov 2005 06:28:45 -0800, amarsarit@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, >Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Statione...

icon changes with change of extension
when we change the extension of a file in windows, its icon also changes..... how does windows do tht. in my application i require a similar approach. i want the icon to be dependent on the file extension not on the attributes of the file. i have gone trough the registry but things are not very clear. Windows has listed all the file extensions avaliable there, but there is no general way to extract icons for those extension... kindly help icon changes with change of extension "Neelu" <nemesia31@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161232739.720722.120950@b28g2000cwb.google...

Creating charts from formula results
Im trying to create a chart in Excel based on the reult of a column or formula's I wrote. The chart just seems to show the formula as its values, can anyone help? I had a list of employee ages and used a formula to indicate their age bracket (e.g. 16-24, 25-30, 31-40 etc). I now want a bar chart that will show how many employee's are in each bracket. Help is much appreciated asap as its for my job. Thanks in advance. -- Boba Fett ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boba Fett's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...

Data Labels On 3-D Bar Charts
I REALLY need to find a way to set my data labels at center or outside, the choices in a reguar bar chart. Is there any way to do that? And if you happen anyone happens to know if it is in any add-ins. I'm waiting to get the downloads UN-BLOCKED!! My work is a joke. Thanks ...

Open Relay #3
How do you shut off open relay? This is for exchange server 5.5. I found this article. http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is at? How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at? I'm afraid this cleint has something older than SP 4. Thanks, BiG To determine the SP, you can check the properties>version of c:\exchsrvr\bin\mad.exe or admin.exe or just about any file in that directory. If they haven't upgraded to SP4 you can download it here (NOTE: You only need to download the releva...

Field Type Change
I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my current database, that already has data entered for this particular field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization that are just typed in differently. I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed so I won't lose any data. Is this possible or will I need to delete the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data? Thanks in advance! Mike Thanks everyone for all the input and advice s...

Tracking Changes
I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot figure it out. THanks Peter On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:08:06 -0800, Peter SSI <Peter SSI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to >chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can >anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot >figure i...