changing a month by entering a number in a cell

I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell that will display a corresponding months name in that cell. In doing an IF statement I have been getting a cricular error, I assume because i'm creating the formula IN the refrence cell, or Excel can't find the project or library. Either way I'm sure I'm not creating the formula correctly.
Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and have the corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same cell? Sounds pretty simple but I can't get an "IF" statement to work for me.
It's been a loooong time since I last worked with Excel so I'd appreciate any help you can give. BTW: my office is 2002 Pro.
0
anonymous (74722)

You don't need a formula.  Just format the cell with a custom
format of mmmm.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"change a month" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell
that will display a corresponding months name in that cell. In
doing an IF statement I have been getting a cricular error, I
assume because i'm creating the formula IN the refrence cell, or
Excel can't find the project or library. Either way I'm sure I'm
not creating the formula correctly.
> Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and
have the corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating
the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same cell?
Sounds pretty simple but I can't get an "IF" statement to work
for me.
> It's been a loooong time since I last worked with Excel so I'd
appreciate any help you can give. BTW: my office is 2002 Pro.

0
chip1 (1821)
5/22/2004 9:50:15 PM
You can't do it with a formula, as youy cannot have the value and the
formula in the same cell, ,the value will remove the value.

In an adjacent cell, you can have

=TEXT(DATE(2004,A1,1),"mmmm")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"change a month" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell that will
display a corresponding months name in that cell. In doing an IF statement I
have been getting a cricular error, I assume because i'm creating the
formula IN the refrence cell, or Excel can't find the project or library.
Either way I'm sure I'm not creating the formula correctly.
> Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and have the
corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating the formula in. Is
this possibe if written in the same cell? Sounds pretty simple but I can't
get an "IF" statement to work for me.
> It's been a loooong time since I last worked with Excel so I'd appreciate
any help you can give. BTW: my office is 2002 Pro.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/22/2004 9:52:10 PM
See answer in .newusers

Please do not post the same message in multiple groups. It tends to
fragment your answers and potentially wastes the time of those answering
questions that have already been answered.

For tips on using these groups effectively, see

    http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

In article <374DEB6E-AF79-4A88-8DBE-F475FAC9EDA8@microsoft.com>,
 "change a month" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell that will
> display a corresponding months name in that cell. In doing an IF statement I
> have been getting a cricular error, I assume because i'm creating the formula
> IN the refrence cell, or Excel can't find the project or library. Either way
> I'm sure I'm not creating the formula correctly. Example: I want to enter 01
> for January, 02 for February and have the corresponding mont displayed in the
> cell I'm creating the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same
> cell? Sounds pretty simple but I can't get an "IF" statement to work for me.
> It's been a loooong time since I last worked with Excel so I'd appreciate any
> help you can give. BTW: my office is 2002 Pro.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/22/2004 9:56:29 PM
Ignore my reply. I don't know what I was thinking.

--

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> You don't need a formula.  Just format the cell with a custom
> format of mmmm.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "change a month" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a
cell
> that will display a corresponding months name in that cell. In
> doing an IF statement I have been getting a cricular error, I
> assume because i'm creating the formula IN the refrence cell,
or
> Excel can't find the project or library. Either way I'm sure
I'm
> not creating the formula correctly.
> > Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and
> have the corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating
> the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same cell?
> Sounds pretty simple but I can't get an "IF" statement to work
> for me.
> > It's been a loooong time since I last worked with Excel so
I'd
> appreciate any help you can give. BTW: my office is 2002 Pro.

0
chip1 (1821)
5/22/2004 9:57:48 PM
Hi!

There are ways of entering a number in a cell and getting Excel t
replace that entry with something else.

First: Tools|autocorrect... but you wouldn't like every 1 you typed t
end up as Jan!

Second: VBA. A routine which accepted the value from your cell an
returned the month name to that cell such as the following:

If Target <> Range("A1") Then Exit Sub
Select Case Range("A1").Value
Case Is = 1
Range("A1") = "Jan"
Case Is = 2
Range("A1") = "Feb"
Case Is = 3
Range("A1") = "Mar"
Case Is = 4
Range("A1") = "Apr"
Case Is = 5
Range("A1") = "May"
Case Is = 6
Range("A1") = "Jun"
Case Is = 7
Range("A1") = "Jly"
Case Is = 8
Range("A1") = "Aug"
Case Is = 9
Range("A1") = "Sep"
Case Is = 10
Range("A1") = "Oct"
Case Is = 11
Range("A1") = "Nov"
Case Is = 12
Range("A1") = "Dec"

End Select
End Sub

There is no formula which will change the entry cell itself: as yo
found, this generates circular reference problems.

Al

External data link change

OWA: how to login without entering domain?
Hi, we have recently update from OWA 5.5 and Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and OWA, before migration, we can log in to OWA 5.5 using user - password, with default domain configured in exchange 5.5 IIS. now in Exchange 2003, with the default domain option configured, we cannot log in and we have to use domain\user - password what can we do? the configuration is similar, thanks and regards First article in http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1&spid=global&query=owa+default+domain&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&res=...

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How to change newsgroup message font

Office stopped working after the auto-update a few months ago
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Microsoft Office stopped working after it ran an auto-update a few months ago. Now, when I open any of the Office apps, I get an error message like this: &quot;Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X.&quot; <br><br>There are no available updates for Mac OS X or Office that I am aware of�when I run the Software Update it doesn&#...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes