change value in a cell according to another cells value

Please help me....
Example:
I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
work it out!

Thank you so much whoever can answer this.
0
KylieRose (3)

"Kylie Rose" wrote:
> .. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long

Try in D1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
Copy D1 down as far as required

(I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
--
Max
Singapore

0
demechanik (4693)
1/19/2006 6:40:55 AM
Hi!

> I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

> Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> use.

You can do that using conditional formatting but you'd need to provide more
specific details.

Biff

"Kylie Rose" <KylieRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me....
> Example:
> I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> use.
>
> Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
> work it out!
>
> Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/19/2006 6:47:23 AM
> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4693)
1/19/2006 7:25:46 AM
Thank you very much!!!!!
You're excellent!
Cheers
Kylie

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})
>
> > Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> > the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> > hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> > use.
>
> You can do that using conditional formatting but you'd need to provide more
> specific details.
>
> Biff
>
> "Kylie Rose" <KylieRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help me....
> > Example:
> > I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
> >
> > Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> > the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> > hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> > use.
> >
> > Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
> > work it out!
> >
> > Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

0
KylieRose (3)
1/19/2006 7:38:04 AM
Thank you heaps!!
Help much appreciated!
Cheers
Kylie

"Max" wrote:

> "Kylie Rose" wrote:
> > .. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long
>
> Try in D1:
> =IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
> VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
> Copy D1 down as far as required
>
> (I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

0
KylieRose (3)
1/19/2006 7:38:04 AM
>I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A

I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Biff

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})
>
> If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
> the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/19/2006 7:42:02 AM
"Biff" wrote:
> >I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A
>
> I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Agreed.  But I was hinting at the possibility
of a "wrong" input of a number higher than
what is mentioned in the OP
(the built-in "error trap" part of it)

Anyway, the OP seems happy with both options <g>
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4693)
1/19/2006 10:02:57 AM
You're welcome !
Thanks for the feedback ..
--
> Thank you heaps!!
> Help much appreciated!
> Cheers
> Kylie

0
demechanik (4693)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

How to change newsgroup message font

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Moving exchange2k3 server machine account from default OU to another...
Hi all. I have an win2k3 std sp1 server with exchange2k3 std sp2 on it. The computer account of the server sits in the default Computers OU, and i want to move it to another computer OU for policy purposes. I have a 2k AD. I understand that this move should go without a problem, maybe a restart of the services afterwards? I'm not going to move any of the objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects OU, just the computer account. Any problems that might occur, and would those potential problems be ok if i just move it back to the default OU? -- Gripe On Fri, 19 May 2006 ...

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Display Formula Values
I have a number of formulas that are displaying the result using the value that is displayed in a referenced cell rather than what was actually input. For example, if my formula in cell A1 is B1*C1 and my value in C1 is .075 and the cell is formatted to display a percentage with no decimal places my formula in B1 uses 8% instead of 7.5%. How can I address this across the entire workbook rather than having to change the format in each of the necessary cells. Thanks for your help. What formula do you have in B1? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------...