change general format to time w/o losing the data

Help - I have several spreadsheet with military time i.e.
1701, 1615, etc.  The cells are in general format.  Since
I need to calculate hours from these times, I tried to
convert them to [h]:mm but when I do, it changed the
number 1701 to 40824:00. I tried to change the cell format
to hh:mm but it gave me zeros.  I use Excel 2000. Thanks.
0
anonymous (74721)

Hi

With your number in cell A2:
=TIME(LEFT(A1,2),RIGHT(A1,2),0)

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

"klaire" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help - I have several spreadsheet with military time i.e.
> 1701, 1615, etc.  The cells are in general format.  Since
> I need to calculate hours from these times, I tried to
> convert them to [h]:mm but when I do, it changed the
> number 1701 to 40824:00. I tried to change the cell format
> to hh:mm but it gave me zeros.  I use Excel 2000. Thanks.

0
garbage (651)
9/29/2004 12:58:20 PM
Hi

two options - to convert the 1701 or whatever to "time" try
=TIME(INT(A1/100),MOD(A1,100),0)
where the A1 has 1701 in it

also you can calculate with your original format of time in the following
way:
with your start time in A1 (0800)
your end time in A2 (1730)
in A3 the formula to determine the number of hours between them would be
=DOLLARDE(A2/100,60)-DOLLARDE(A1/100,60)

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"klaire" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help - I have several spreadsheet with military time i.e.
> 1701, 1615, etc.  The cells are in general format.  Since
> I need to calculate hours from these times, I tried to
> convert them to [h]:mm but when I do, it changed the
> number 1701 to 40824:00. I tried to change the cell format
> to hh:mm but it gave me zeros.  I use Excel 2000. Thanks.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
9/29/2004 1:02:01 PM
Thank you!!

0
anonymous (74721)
9/29/2004 1:04:57 PM
And one more:

=TIMEVALUE(TEXT(A1,"00\:00"))

And format it the way you like:  [h]:mm

klaire wrote:

> Help - I have several spreadsheet with military time i.e.
> 1701, 1615, etc.  The cells are in general format.  Since
> I need to calculate hours from these times, I tried to
> convert them to [h]:mm but when I do, it changed the
> number 1701 to 40824:00. I tried to change the cell format
> to hh:mm but it gave me zeros.  I use Excel 2000. Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

CRM data migration 10-13-04
Is there an easy way to migrate data from one CRM server to another? I have looked through the Data Migration toolkit, but it seems to be geared more towards migrating Goldmine/Act/etc to CRM, by populating the cdf tables "manually". Thanks, Matt Matt wrote: > Is there an easy way to migrate data from one CRM server to another? > > I have looked through the Data Migration toolkit, but it seems to be geared > more towards migrating Goldmine/Act/etc to CRM, by populating the cdf tables > "manually". > > Thanks, > Matt You need to use Redeployme...

Time calculations for Scheduled vs Actual Employee Time and Wages 11-28-09
I am THRYING and TRYING to make a simple schedule worksheet for a manger to use to calculate the time he schedules an employee to clock in and out and what it will cost him in regards to his allocated budget and then to be able to compare it after the job is completed. BUT time calculations have thrown me for loop and I am stuck for hours on trying to calculate time fields. PLEASE DEAR GOD can someone help me. Below is a simple example of my worksheet. A2 (Time IN) = 1:00 PM A3 (Time OUT) = 5:00 PM A4 (Time Worked) = 4:00 (h:mm format) ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Count the cels with the same collor made with conditional formatting!
Hi all, Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a chart. Thanks! Greetz, Jan ;-)) Hi Jan have a look at this previous discussion http://tinyurl.com/3xr9b -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Freesurfer wrote: > Hi all, > > Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my > worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. > I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a ...

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Transferring data IN VBA between workbooks
I need to transfer a range of cells for every row one by one from one file File1.xls to a second file File2.xls from within a VBA program. I had it running where it coded a cut and paste but the program runs for 3 hours and If I tried to do anything else where I cut and paste I would get data from my running program when I tried to paste. Is there any way I can do this other than cut and paste ? Dennis I foud out what I was doing wrong I had this Range("A1") = Range("A1:P1") which will work in a single workbook but to a separate workbook you have to put Range("...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Data Labels On 3-D Bar Charts
I REALLY need to find a way to set my data labels at center or outside, the choices in a reguar bar chart. Is there any way to do that? And if you happen anyone happens to know if it is in any add-ins. I'm waiting to get the downloads UN-BLOCKED!! My work is a joke. Thanks ...

General Question
Is this the only way to get Outlook help without having to pay? There are lots of websites with information posted. http://www.slipstick.com for one. Of course there's always http://www.microsoft.com/outlook. And the online help files in Outlook. (Press F1) -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03c701c3a959$cafe41f0$a3012...

Field Type Change