Change Format #2

How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a
date format?  As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205
and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2,
2004)
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Steve
changing the format to DATE just goto 'Format - Cells' and choose your
date format. Though this will not change your entry '20040205' to a
valid date. You have to enter the dates with a delimiter or use a macro
whcih will do the conversion for you (see
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm)

Frank

Steve wrote:
> How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a
> date format?  As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205
> and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2,
> 2004)

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/6/2004 4:25:44 PM
Steve

With cell(s) selected Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next>"Column Data
Format">Date.

Pick your format YMD or YDM

2004/02/05 is Feb 5, 2004 or May 2, 2004

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:19:34 -0800, "Steve"

>How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a
>date format?  As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205
>and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2,
>2004)

0
Gord
2/6/2004 6:15:16 PM
It would be hard to get Feb 2, 2004 out of 20040205, but

Assume they are in a single column

select the column and do

Data=>Text to columns, select fixed, skip the second dialog, in the third,
select YMD and click OK.

Now format the selection using Format => Cells, Number Tab, custom
YYYY/MM/DD

assumes you wanted Feb 5, 2004.  Adjust if it was May 2, 2004
--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a
> date format?  As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205
> and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2,
> 2004)

0
twogilvy (1078)
2/6/2004 6:43:54 PM
Hi Steve,
Chip's page is for manually entering in different lengths of
numeric  digits,  but there is no subroutine on his page to
fix up existing data.   It would be very similar though.

You can use a helper column  before existing column B
    =Date(year,month,dayofmonth)
    =Date(left(a4,4), mid(a4,5,2), right(a4,2))

If you want to eliminate the original then
    Select the new column
    Copy   (ctrl+B) the new column B
    Edit,  paste special,  values
    remove the original column A

If you see a sequential number instead of a date,
then  Format, Cells,  Date  (or custom)
but most likely having used date function you won't have
to format anything.
---
HTH,

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message news:OIA1g3M7DHA.360@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Steve
> changing the format to DATE just goto 'Format - Cells' and choose your
> date format. Though this will not change your entry '20040205' to a
> valid date. You have to enter the dates with a delimiter or use a macro
> whcih will do the conversion for you (see
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm)
>
> Frank
>
> Steve wrote:
> > How can I change a cell with general formatting data to a
> > date format?  As an example, I have in cell A1: 20040205
> > and I would like for it to read: 2004/02/05 (i.e., Feb 2,
> > 2004)

0
dmcritchie (2586)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Installation problems #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Hi When i install office on my desktop it installs ok but when i try to open word or excel it comes up with the customer experience program everytime and launches microsoft update i then click "no, i dont want to participate at this time." and then continue, then the get started window appears and i click finish but nothing happens, then if i try to open word or excel again it does the same thing again and it doesnt ask for the product key at any time. But when i installed office on my macbook it works fine,...

Pvt Table Question #2
Hi, I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a pvt table using two sheets? If so, how do you do this? Thanks! Alt/DP, then choose Multiple consolidation ranges -- the UI was removed from the ribbon. "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:a137474c-7ea2-4c35-a9ab-43af7056c140@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would > like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a > pvt table...

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

migration from lotus to exchange #2
hello maybe someone help i have a lotus domino server v5 and i wanna migrate to exchange 2000 or 2003 (serwer Microsoft 2000 server) maybe someone have some document about this please send me information where i can find that documents thanks ...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

Count the cels with the same collor made with conditional formatting!
Hi all, Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a chart. Thanks! Greetz, Jan ;-)) Hi Jan have a look at this previous discussion http://tinyurl.com/3xr9b -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Freesurfer wrote: > Hi all, > > Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my > worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. > I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a ...

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

CTreeCtrl : 2 or more overlays
Hi, I use CTreeCtrl::SetItemState to show overlayed images for a tree item icon. For different states of object different overlays are used. My question is: can I use two overlayed images simultaneously? I tried, the last one just overwrites the first one. Of course I can create third image that combines those two. I just want to make sure there is no other way to implement this. (Prefer to code rather than paint). Regards, ~Peter To the best of my knowledge, no. It is also hard to come up with overlays that Play Well Together under these conditions. I'd suggest the third-image appr...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

More than 256 columns? #2
How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can I use for this that is not too expensive? You don't. Excel is limited to 256 colums. Two alternatives: 1) Swing your table around, make the colum headings the row headings.... not a good suggestion at all though. 2) Get your data into Access... I guess you already have it. Then run your data analysis in Excel straight from the Access database.... much better. "65538" <65538@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C41D68C-CF17-4E48-90E4-9358FEF39967@microsoft.com... > How do I ge...