Challenging problem! Recording the time in an adjacent cell when text is entered

Does anyone have a way of using excel as follows:

if I enter text in say cell A1 how can I ask excel to record the exact
time I entered that text (in minutes and seconds) in say cell B1

I assume you can use the clock on your computer or maybe a stopwatch
VBA plug in that counts time up or down in excel??

The reason for this is I'm wanting to use excel, run on my laptop, to
record when various events happen on the basketball court such as an
intercept, basket in the circle, basket outside the circle etc.

Cheers,

Snowy
Australia.

> I assume you can use the clock on your computer

Yes. Enter start time in eg: H1 as eg: 11/09/2003  12:00:00. Then
right-click the sheet tab, select View Code. Paste this into the sheet's
code module -

Private Sub WorkSheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
Range("B1") = Now - Range("H1")
End If
End Sub

Custom format B1 as [h]:mm:ss (no idea how long a game lasts).

But this will overwrite each time you update A1. Don't you need a log going
down column A of consecutive events?

Private Sub WorkSheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If Target.Column = 1 Then
Target.Offset(0, 1) = Now - Range("H1")
End If
End Sub

HTH,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)

problem with AppWizard
I have a big problem with AppWizard. I cannot even compile a bare skeleton program due to compiler errors. It has something to do with trying to link overloaded class member functions declared in "..\..\vc98\mfc\include\afxdixp.h" in "C". I don't know why the linker would be trying to link in C. This is some of the build output I get: --------------------Configuration: automagic - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling resources... Compiling... StdAfx.cpp d:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\mfc\include\afxdisp.h(297) : error C2733: second C linkage of...

problem with form protection
I am using MS Word 2000. I have several documents that were created with an older version of word that have been saved and transferred to this computer. When I try to edit them they are protected. However, when I click the padlock on the toolbar to turn the protection off all of the information filled out in the form goes blank!Help! How do I edit the form without having to fill the entire thing out again?!? You will need to use a macro to re-apply the protection ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please re...

Problems printing publisher 2003 email newsletters in outlook -
People are enjoying the email newsletters created in publisher but we are getting complaints when it comes to printing. If you go to print the newsletter in outlook and do not sepcify how many pages to print, the printer keeps printing blank pages! The record is 567 pages before they realised! Is there are a command I am missing? Is this a glitch? If so is it an outlook thing or a publisher thing? Is there any html code I can add the email to allow the email programme to recognise how many pages there are? Much oblidged Ben Thompson I suspect you would have better outcomes if you sen...

MFC ActiveX control Refreshing problem
Hi, I have crerated MFC ActiveX controla and when I run it in the IE6, it works fine, like it does downloading some files from server and encrypts them on the local machine and uploads the encrypted file back to the server. So during this process and after that also, when I switch to the other window and come back to the same IE page, then the control vanishes from the page, and instead the image of previous window comes into the container, where ActiveX control should come. Even though the control does'nt stop its processing in the background. So, this problem of refreshing is with web ...

Exchange server refresh and sync time
Is there any way to adjust the refresh time on the Exchange server? Lets say I recieve an email at 4pm and read it so it is marked read. If i go home and check my email on a different computer, say 7pm, the message will filter into my inbox as unread. Is there any way to speed up the time that exchange updates users? Any help is greatly appreciated ...

Sorting Date Problem
I've got a spreadsheet that has a column with a custom date format of mmm-dd[eg: Feb-11] and when I sort the spreadsheet, I get a group of Jan to Dec and then another group of Jan to Dec. Why don't I get a 'complete' sort with all the same months together? Hi Excel sorts your values according to the date values. That is 1-Jan-2004 come after 3-Feb-2003 If you want to sort by month you may add a helper column with a formula like =MONTH(A1) copy this down for all rows and sort again -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sparky wrote: > I've got a spreadsheet t...

Printing large cells
I have a spreadsheet in which many of the cells are very large. When the spreadsheet is printed, not all of the large cell contents print. How do I get all of the cell contents to print? ...

Re: Forwarding problems
Sorry, That URL will not work try this one: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;900824 Regards -- Ben Hoffman MVP Exchange http://www.exchangeis.com "Ben Hoffman [MVP Exchange]" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message news:... > Hi Janus, > > This Kb might be of some help: > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;900824 > > Regards > -- > Ben Hoffman > MVP Exchange > http://www.exchangeis.com > > <janus.toendering@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1147077489.921168.297060@j33g2000c...

Payroll Split Challenge
We have a unique situation for distribution of Payroll and a one benefit expense. Example: Employee John Doe is full time salaried employee and receives $2000 per pay period. The employee wages need to be slit 50% to each of the following Accounts Location Dept Acct 01 01 5000 Wages 50% = $1000 02 01 5000 Wages 50% = $1000 They have 1 benefit expense which is based on a percentage of gross – 25% or $500 for our example. They also want the benefit expense to be split – to a single or multiple GL code...

Hi Mercur 3.3 on NT Microsoft Postoffice Outlook 2000 on 2000 Pro When users use the "Reply All" button in Outlook they receive the "No Transport Provider was available . . ." message. Tried Knowledge Base Article 197417. Every Step. Didn't work. Has anyone heard of this? Is there a fix? Any help will be appreciated. Hate telling users to reply and copy everyone manually. Thanks Penny ...

SetCapture Problem
Hi Everyone, Have a bit of problem with SetCapture which I think is kinda odd. I am trying to let the user define an area of the screen by allowing them to click and drag on the desktop. My test program has a Button on it, in the button handler I set a timer for the operation, since I didn't want to call SetCapture from a button click handler. After the call to set capture, the OnLButtonDown makes note of the x,y position of the mouse, and then OnMouseMove will handle the width and height of the area as the user moves the mouse. And finally OnLButtonUp calls release capture. But the p...

Outlook 2007 Autocorrect with formatted text
I need to know how to enable Outlook to replace autocorrect entries with formatted text. In Word 2007, its as simple as clicking the radio button to enable it. In Outlook however, not so much. Here is what I am trying to accomplish -- this worked two weeks ago before my hard drive died, however, I can't remember how to recreate it. I enter my initials and autocorrect formats a signature with contact information. The path, Tools, Options, Spelling, Spelling, Spelling and Autocorrect Options, Autocorrect Options --- however, the "Formatted text" radio button is ...

Problem with CRM implemenation?
I recently installed my first CRM SBE and I'm wondering if I've messed up slightly and hopefully someone here will be able to offer some advice. I need to add some product lines in order to generate contracts/quotes for clients but when I enter Products there is no ability there to add a new product. So I scanned around and I believe I need to create a price list first but I'm not sure how that should be done. I've checked within Settings > Settings but there is nothing there for Price Lists. I cannot remember exactly but I believe when running the wizard I may have ...

shortcut/hotkey-problem
Hello NG, I have set a custom hotkey to a shortcut/program on my Windows XP Start Menu (CTRL-ALT-B). However, this programlink was deleted. If I now try to reassign this shortcut, it does not work - it seems that the combination has been still reserved for a non-existing link. Is it possible to unmap the combination to map it then again? Hopefully someone can help me. Thank you, Johannes Perhaps the info in this thread will help. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32795-45-find-delete-hotkey-shortcut-assigned-program johannes pfeffer wrote: > Hello NG, > ...

"ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select" for filtered cells?
Is there something that works on visible, filtered cells like "ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select" works on visible, unfiltered ones? What I mean is the have cursor movement happening to what is visible yet that works when the cells are not filtered? Here's hoping. I thought everything was working right and tight till I saw that these types of things aren't working on my filtered sheet? <g> Thanks. Range("A1:A10").Specialcells(xlCellTypeVisible) -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Star...

Daylight saving problems when using winapi's timezone functions. #2
Hi, I get times from a server given in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time or Universal Time Coordinated), that is similar to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) but not adjusted to daylight saving time. That is, during summer, UTC differs one hour from London time, since UK uses daylight saving during summer. The application I develop is used worldwide so I can not assume or hardcode anything. This should not be a problem since winapi have functions to handle this. I do the following. The function I use to convert UTC time to local time (New York time for me) looks like this: COleDateTime Conver...

Media Center problems.
Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with Media Center on my new Windows 7 x64 bit system. Firstly, I am unable to remove a folder from the media libraries list for 'Recorded TV.' When I try to remove this folder from the list, I am unable to. There is a tick beside it that I am unable to remove. I am also unable to remove it manually windows explorer as access is denied due to needing permission from NETWORK SERVICES. Secondly, I am unable to start the Windows Media Center Receiver Service. When I try to, I receive the following error message: "Error 0x80070...

text in metafiles
My text on-screen and printed looks fine, but if I save a metafile picture and import it into Microsoft Word, then Word will scale the picture. So my 10 point fonts become 5 point (say). When printed from MSWord, the picture has text with poor horizontal spacing between individual characters. This seems to be particularly noticeable with bold fonts. Sometimes I'm using CDC:DrawText and sometimes CDC:ExtTextOut. Both cases have this problem. What issues am I unaware of? What steps (if any) can I take to avoid this? many thanks Steve ...

protect cells #6
Hi all, is it possible, if so how, to protect certain cells within a worksheet thanks Anthony Anthony, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy, but it will work for most people . If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then go...

How to record a currency exchange rate in a trend/report?
Hello! I'm using Money 2004 and got a simple one here. How can I record/monitor the exchange rate of different currencies? In fact I want to compare USD with EURO and their actual exchange rate. The system should be able tracking the rate of a currency similar like in a share or bond account where I can see the performance from the past in this nice trend. Any hints? Thanks and cheers from Singapore Sandro In microsoft.public.money, Sandro wrote: > >I'm using Money 2004 and got a simple one here. How can I record/monitor the >exchange rate of different currencie...

Print Problems
Hello all, On one particular Citrix Server when the reports are printer dialog window does not appear (the window where you can select the Number of Copies). The print job goes directly to the Printer and prints one copy. Users are unable to select “No of copies” if more than one copy is required. They have multiple Citrix Servers and it works fine on other servers. Already, re-installed Printer Driver but the issue still exists (also tried with installing a brand new Printer). Any help / suggestions / thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance and regards Ajay Check th...

Cannot Enter Product Key
I'm having trouble with a relatively new MS Project Server - I implemented it about 2 months ago, and haven't really begun to use it. I found today that its home page said Error: Trial Period Expired. This surprised me as I was given the licensed media and wasn't aware of any Trial periods being involved.. I found a newsgroup post which indicated that Activating the software may be required, and had these steps: Steps to Activate: Convert a license type and enter the product key 1. In Central Administration, on the top link bar, click Operations. 2. On the ...

A challenge #2
Hi all you masterminds, I've spent some time trying to solve this problem. Not exactl because I need this, but because it's challenging. At least to me i is. So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That' it basically. - Asse -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes, something like this. I haven't tried to code but.. Dim variable as string, Result as string Dim Length as integer, x as integer Length = len(variable) x=Length while x<>x-Length Result = Result & mid(variable,x,1) x=x-1 wend msgbox Result Cheers Paa -- Message ...

Load a icon into a static text area.
I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into it. any ideas? You should be having the SS_ICON style on the static. Code like this would work. HICON hIcon = LoadIcon(AfxGetInstanceHandle(), MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MAINFRAME)) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->ModifyStyle(0, SS_ICON) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->SetIcon(hIcon) ; "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A307A3A1-CB3A-489F-A8D8-8C8DF47B3A2C@microsoft.com... >I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into...

Difficult Sorting problem
Have a spreadsheet with items. A = Multiple Locations B = item id (in each location) C = Description D = Qty on Hand (some have zero) E thru J = has misc data I am trying to sort by D - Highest qty on hand and bring all locations with it - no matter what qty is showing. A=location B=part number C=part description D=qty on hand spread sheet has 11,000 lines example A B C D 100002 PC12345 tool for PC 2500 100003 PC12345 tool for PC 0 100004 PC12345 tool for PC 400 100005 PC12345 tool for PC 10 100002 PC54321 tool for pc2 ...