Cells with same text but excel think it's different?

I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different.
I checked format, space and even '.
can someone please help?
thanks.
0
Jason4159 (667)

Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O)

--
Regards
Andy Wiggins

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's
different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement
and the result is showing the 2 cells are different.
> I checked format, space and even '.
> can someone please help?
> thanks.

0
Andy
8/5/2004 9:35:30 PM
Jason,

Try = Len() on each.  And there may be code 160 characters for spaces,
instead of the usual code 32.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's
different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement
and the result is showing the 2 cells are different.
> I checked format, space and even '.
> can someone please help?
> thanks.

0
nowhere1083 (630)
8/5/2004 9:45:54 PM
One way to compare the cells:

Enter a number in a cell (cell D1 in this example) --
    use a number that's about 1/2 the number of characters in the cell
Type a formula to compare the characters from the left of the two cells
    (cells A2 and B2 in this example)

   =LEFT(A2,$D$1)=LEFT(B2,$D$1)

If the result is TRUE, increase the number until it returns FALSE
If the result is FALSE, decrease the number until it returns TRUE.
That will tell you where the strings differ.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/5/2004 9:57:45 PM
Jason

There could be html non-breaking spaces in the cell or other hidden
characters.

Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Load through Tools>Add-ins.

Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters are.

David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro could also be of assistance.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:07:02 -0700, "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different.
>I checked format, space and even '.
>can someone please help?
>thanks.

0
Gord

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

Using different drivers by USB REV
We have an existing product that has our standard USB VID/PID. We haven't set the USB REV to anything so it defaults to FFFF, but the .INF file for our driver doesn't specify the REV so it works fine: USB\VID_1234&PID_1234&MI_00 We now have to introduce a new version of the product that uses the same VID/PID, so we thought we could use the REV to make sure it uses the new driver. The new product sets its REV to 0008 (no particular reason it has to be this) so the .INF file looks like: USB\VID_1234&PID_1234&REV_0008&MI_00 This seems to work fine - the...

Working in Excel 2003 but not Excel 2007. Can not protect sheet.
Hi, User entered data on Excel Sheet(s) and send to receipant. The returned sheet(s) should be locked and should not be modfied by the receipant. It works in Excel 2003. However, it does not work in Excel 2007. User sent the worksheet(s) but the sheet(s) did not lock as in Excel 2003. Receipants can modify the sheet(s). I tried many different ways without success. Please help and thank you for your support. Private Sub cmdEmail_Click() Dim cnt As Integer Dim destWb, srcWb As Workbook Dim tmpWin, actWin As Window Dim stWbPath As String On Error Resu...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

open attachments Excel program xls
I need help to open attachmens to e-mail. The program is in Excel xls and I have tried all the web page advice with no results. HELP!!!! Are you talking about doubleclicking an attachment in an email and having it launch in Excel. If so then go into Excel and do Tools / Options / General Tab / Uncheck 'Ignore Other Applications' -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Atti...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

How do i show the drop down arrow for a list in Excel
I have created an almost working data/validation/list in Excel 2003. I can see the note when I click on the cell, but it does not show me the arrow for the dropdown list. I have the "In-cell dropdown" box checked. Furthermore, it will not give me an error if something is typed incorrectly. Lastly, I can right click on the cell and it gives me the option to "Pick from drop down list" and this DOES work. I have created many dropdown lists before, but this one is giving me problems. Hopefully it is something obvious that I have missed. There are ...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

How to get top to bottom image of an Excel worksheet
I would like to know how I can get an image of an Excel work sheet from the title bar down to the bottom of the sheet down to the status line. Then I want to superimpose text an arrows on it for a presentation. bobs Hit ALT + PrtScn(print screen) button to copy the window to the Clipboard. Open Paint or your favorite graphics editor and "paste" in there. If using Paint, you can then draw arrows in Excel using the Drawing Toolbar and the Arrow button. Draw an arrow on a worksheet then copy it and paste onto the picture in Paint. Text can be added directly in Paint. Gord Dibbe...

Microsoft query does not recognize tables in Excel spreadsheet
Using Excel 2007 12.0 SP 2 on Windows XP I have created an Excel spreadsheet, C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx with two tables: Table1: X Y 1 1 2 2 Table2: X Y 1 1 2 2 Both of these are on the same worksheet, sheet1. The first table occupies the range A1:B3, the second occupies the range D1:E3. Both of these ranges have been converted to tables via Home/Format As Table. If I look up names under Formulas/Name Manager, both of these table names are there and they refer to the correct range. ie, I am certain that the tables Table1 and Table2 exist in C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx and...

Add text in top of chart
I have added a Line chart in my document, but I would like to write in the top (on the chart) what this chart shows. But how do I add lines of text onto the chart ? Check out Chart title in Help. If not really what you need then you can try inserting a Text Box as follows:- XL 2007 Select Insert Ribbon Select Text box (In Text block far right of ribbon) The cursor changes shape. Click on chart and hold mouse button while you drag the text box out to the required size. Enter text in the text box. XL2002 and 2003 Show Drawing toolbar (Select menu item View -> Toolbars -> Drawing) Not...

Displaying a text file immediately after creating it.
I have a section of code that needs to output to a text file using CStdioFile and then immediately display it using notepad. I have tried the following, but it doesn't find the file. However, if I go to window explorer, the file is there. Any Ideas? CStdioFile af; if (af.Open(theApp.WORKDIR+"steerprt.txt",CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite)) { af.WriteString(tstr); af.Flush(); af.Close(); } HWND mainhwnd = GetSafeHwnd(); ret1 = (int) ShellExecute(mainhwnd,"open",theApp.WORKDIR+"steerptr.txt","",theApp.WORKDI...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Excel 2007 Graphs
There seems to be issues with Excel 2007 and graphing, i.e. it is slow to the point of being useless. I notice that there is a hotfix for this problem (KB938538), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to download this without incurring a �199 cost? Anyone else noticed this and fixed it?? Thanks Rob Poor chart performance has been noted by many. It is one of the items we hope SR1 will address. What makes you think there is a charge for the hotfix? You just phone MS's local office and tell them you want it. A link on the KB938538 page gets you the local number (it showed me the C...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

excel data base
hi there. i need some help please guys. i have exported some names & telephone numbers from a software packag (sms centre) & im trying 2import them in2 a package called e-txt. thes packages reads csv files. ive encountered a problem my exported files r saved in excel lik this... name country code area code phone number joe bloggs 44 07977 797898 but the e-txt database fields r as follows 1st name surname phone number joe bloggs 447977797898 how do i con...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...