Cells as text not numbers???

I have a file with a bunch of numbers on it and when I sum them up it
returns 0. If i double click in each of the cells then the sum works.

There are a few thousand cells so i can't doubleclick in each. How can
I change them all at the same time?

I tried formatting them all as a number and that didnt work. There is
no ' before it either.

thanks in advance.

--
tkaplan
tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22987

Excel is seeing the numbers as text. There are some techniques here that
you can use to convert the text to numbers, so they can be summed:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Writing Numbers Outside Rows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to leave numbers #1, #2, #3, etc outside the rows I have made but can't get the cursor to go there to type the numbers. The cursor only goes inside the row of the column. How do I get the cursor to go outside the row of the column? <br> thanks. Hi, it is unclear what exactly you are trying to do. Do you want to create a numbered list, or do you want to number the lines of your current document? If it is the latter, click on Format>Document, switch to the Layout tab and click ...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

NUMBERS PROBLEM
Hi, I have exchange 2003 setup with Outlook 2003 client.In AD some of the user details appears as follows with numbers at their end.The id's work fine. legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Mohammed Mannathodi63266254 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Patric Lundin53784058 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Beena Menon23767644 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Ashraf Babu82709263 legacyExchangeD...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

Too many different cell formats #6

Return range from row number
Hi I have a table from which I need to find specific values based on the rows they reside in. I need to search the (n)th row to return the column number where a specific number (x) is located. Top row of table is G29:CZ29 A1=value to match (x) from another worksheet A2=row to search (n) from another calculation Is there any way to achieve this by converting the known row and its endpoints into a "range" to be inserted in the MATCH function? MATCH(A1,"range",0) e.g. if A2=93, the "range" I need to search is G122:CZ122 Thanks in advance Andy One way: ...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Add text in top of chart
I have added a Line chart in my document, but I would like to write in the top (on the chart) what this chart shows. But how do I add lines of text onto the chart ? Check out Chart title in Help. If not really what you need then you can try inserting a Text Box as follows:- XL 2007 Select Insert Ribbon Select Text box (In Text block far right of ribbon) The cursor changes shape. Click on chart and hold mouse button while you drag the text box out to the required size. Enter text in the text box. XL2002 and 2003 Show Drawing toolbar (Select menu item View -> Toolbars -> Drawing) Not...

Displaying a text file immediately after creating it.
I have a section of code that needs to output to a text file using CStdioFile and then immediately display it using notepad. I have tried the following, but it doesn't find the file. However, if I go to window explorer, the file is there. Any Ideas? CStdioFile af; if (af.Open(theApp.WORKDIR+"steerprt.txt",CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite)) { af.WriteString(tstr); af.Flush(); af.Close(); } HWND mainhwnd = GetSafeHwnd(); ret1 = (int) ShellExecute(mainhwnd,"open",theApp.WORKDIR+"steerptr.txt","",theApp.WORKDI...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

Item reorder number
The "item reorder number" is not a field included in the build of a new item. Therefore, there is no item reorder number on a PO for the item. It is especially painful when one deals with matrix items. Is it possible to include the field "item reorder number" in the new item wizard on the next upgrade? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

Turning numbers into Dates
I would like to know how to turn a number such as "51319" into a date such as "5/13/19". As of now, when I try to format the cell to a date format, it completely changes the date from "52309" to a random date such as "7/11/35". I have no idea why. Any ideas? Hi, Custom format and enter 0"/"00"/"00 "Kbass" wrote: > I would like to know how to turn a number such as "51319" into a date such as > "5/13/19". As of now, when I try to format the cell to a date format, it > comp...

Losing last digit on 16 digit number
I am importing a figure of 16 digits into an excel file e.g. 4000000000000002 but it is showing as 4000000000000000 Is there a way to stop this happening? -- davee10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davee10's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27956 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474577 On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 05:57:20 -0500, davee10 <davee10.1wmt6a_1128855900.7498@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >I am importing a figure of 16 digits into an excel file e.g. >4...

How do I use Conditinal Format for another cell?
Assuming Cell A1 is the value "Red" or "Green" or "Yellow" How could I have a formula on Cell "C1" containing Conditional formatin the same as below if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red if A1 is "Blue" then Bacground of A1 turns to Blue if A1 is "Yellow" then Bacground of A1 turns to Yellow I assume that your statement if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red should be if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of C1 turns to red ??? Assuming that to be true Select C...

Copying into Filtered cells
Hello - I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will record a Year group's data. Each student is attached to a Maths class. I therefore need to be able to filter for a specific maths set and then copy and paste that groups test resutls into the visible cells. However, excel just copies the results into the first 30 cells in the spreadsheet (some of which are not visible due to the filter) - does anyone know how I can get excel to only paste into the filtered cells? this is an example of my spreadsheet - the filter is on maths set. SURNAME CFIRST Maths Set Teacher Paper Level NC ...