Cell Spacing Problem

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with a file that's used around our office fo
record keeping.  On everyone else's computer (running Win2K and Offic
2000), the file fits on one page and looks fine when printed.  O
another computer (running WinXP and Office 2000) it also looks/print
fine.

This brings me to my computer (IBM Thinkpad T41) running (WinXP).
Originally I installed Office 2003 and when I opened the file tha
everyone else used, it no longer fit on 1 page.  I double checked th
margins and column widths and they were all the same.  But visuall
speaking, it was obvious that my columns were wider.  The gap betwee
the last letter in the column and the end of the column is about 1c
longer on my computer than everyone else's.

i.e. if Column A is 30.89mm wide on both my computer and everyon
else's computer, it will look wider on mine:

Column A |            <===How theirs looks (indicated at 30.89mm wide)
Column A        |     <===How mine looks (indicated at 30.89mm wide)

As a result of this, I figured it was an Office 2003 problem, so
uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled Office 2000 (without restartin
in between).  Alas, Office 2000 exhibited the same behavior.  So,
tried uninstalling Office 2000 and reinstalling it.  Problem stil
there.

So I figured that me not restarting my computer between Uninstallin
Office 2003 and installing Office 2000 may have caused a problem wit
registry entries not being deleted.

So as a last ditch effort, I uninstalled Office 2000 and restarted an
then reinstalled Office 2003 and restarted, and then uninstalled Offic
2003 and restarted and FINALLY I installed Office 2000 again.  To m
dismay, the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated!  I'm desperate!

Thanks,

Hi

Doesnt it have something to do with your computer screen
setup? Try Settings, Control Panel, Display, tab Settings
and check if you have the same settings as on other
computers.

Im not sure if it will make a difference - just an idea...

regards
Hans

Win2K and Office
>2000), the file fits on one page and looks fine when
printed.  On
>another computer (running WinXP and Office 2000) it also
looks/prints
>fine.
>
>This brings me to my computer (IBM Thinkpad T41) running
(WinXP).
>Originally I installed Office 2003 and when I opened the
file that
>everyone else used, it no longer fit on 1 page.  I double
checked the
>margins and column widths and they were all the same.
But visually
>speaking, it was obvious that my columns were wider.  The
gap between
>the last letter in the column and the end of the column
is about 1cm
>longer on my computer than everyone else's.
>
>i.e. if Column A is 30.89mm wide on both my computer and
everyone
>else's computer, it will look wider on mine:
>
>Column A |            <===How theirs looks (indicated at
30.89mm wide)
>Column A        |     <===How mine looks (indicated at
30.89mm wide)

>As a result of this, I figured it was an Office 2003
problem, so I
>uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled Office 2000
(without restarting
>in between).  Alas, Office 2000 exhibited the same
behavior.  So, I
>tried uninstalling Office 2000 and reinstalling it.
Problem still
>there.
>
>So I figured that me not restarting my computer between
Uninstalling
>Office 2003 and installing Office 2000 may have caused a
problem with
>registry entries not being deleted.
>
>So as a last ditch effort, I uninstalled Office 2000 and
restarted and
>then reinstalled Office 2003 and restarted, and then
uninstalled Office
>2003 and restarted and FINALLY I installed Office 2000
again.  To my
>dismay, the problem is still there.
>
>Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated!  I'm
desperate!

>Thanks,
>KJ
>

>---
>
>.

0
anonymous (74719)
5/12/2004 8:07:22 AM
My guess is that you have a different screen resolution, and/or you do not
have the same set of fonts installed on your computer as they have on
theirs, or you have a different 'system' font, which is what the column
width is a multiple of.

"KJM3 >" <<KJM3.164dta@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having a problem with a file that's used around our office for
> record keeping.  On everyone else's computer (running Win2K and Office
> 2000), the file fits on one page and looks fine when printed.  On
> another computer (running WinXP and Office 2000) it also looks/prints
> fine.
>
> This brings me to my computer (IBM Thinkpad T41) running (WinXP).
> Originally I installed Office 2003 and when I opened the file that
> everyone else used, it no longer fit on 1 page.  I double checked the
> margins and column widths and they were all the same.  But visually
> speaking, it was obvious that my columns were wider.  The gap between
> the last letter in the column and the end of the column is about 1cm
> longer on my computer than everyone else's.
>
> i.e. if Column A is 30.89mm wide on both my computer and everyone
> else's computer, it will look wider on mine:
>
> Column A |            <===How theirs looks (indicated at 30.89mm wide)
> Column A        |     <===How mine looks (indicated at 30.89mm wide)
>
> As a result of this, I figured it was an Office 2003 problem, so I
> uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled Office 2000 (without restarting
> in between).  Alas, Office 2000 exhibited the same behavior.  So, I
> tried uninstalling Office 2000 and reinstalling it.  Problem still
> there.
>
> So I figured that me not restarting my computer between Uninstalling
> Office 2003 and installing Office 2000 may have caused a problem with
> registry entries not being deleted.
>
> So as a last ditch effort, I uninstalled Office 2000 and restarted and
> then reinstalled Office 2003 and restarted, and then uninstalled Office
> 2003 and restarted and FINALLY I installed Office 2000 again.  To my
> dismay, the problem is still there.
>
> Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated!  I'm desperate!
>
> Thanks,
> KJ
>

> ---

Stephen
5/12/2004 10:22:00 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the input!

How would I go about changing the "system" font to the same one used o
other computers?  The reason I'm asking is that I already know that th
font on the spreadsheet is the same on both computer (Arial 10), so th
'system' font suggestion makes lots of sense!

I tried the same file on both my HOME computers and they both look lik
my notebook.

It seems I may have a newer font that the older computers (at work
don't have as the system font.

Thanks,
KJ

Stephen Bye wrote:
> *My guess is that you have a different screen resolution, and/or yo
> do not
> have the same set of fonts installed on your computer as they hav
> on
> theirs, or you have a different 'system' font, which is what th
> column
> width is a multiple of.
>
> "KJM3 >" <<KJM3.164dta@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with a file that's used around our office for
> > record keeping.  On everyone else's computer (running Win2K an
> Office
> > 2000), the file fits on one page and looks fine when printed.  On
> > another computer (running WinXP and Office 2000) it als
> looks/prints
> > fine.
> >
> > This brings me to my computer (IBM Thinkpad T41) running (WinXP).
> > Originally I installed Office 2003 and when I opened the file that
> > everyone else used, it no longer fit on 1 page.  I double checke
> the
> > margins and column widths and they were all the same.  Bu
> visually
> > speaking, it was obvious that my columns were wider.  The ga
> between
> > the last letter in the column and the end of the column is abou
> 1cm
> > longer on my computer than everyone else's.
> >
> > i.e. if Column A is 30.89mm wide on both my computer and everyone
> > else's computer, it will look wider on mine:
> >
> > Column A |            <===How theirs looks (indicated at 30.89m
> wide)
> > Column A        |     <===How mine looks (indicated at 30.89m
> wide)
> >
> > As a result of this, I figured it was an Office 2003 problem, so I
> > uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled Office 2000 (withou
> restarting
> > in between).  Alas, Office 2000 exhibited the same behavior.  So
> > tried uninstalling Office 2000 and reinstalling it.  Problem still
> > there.
> >
> > So I figured that me not restarting my computer betwee
> Uninstalling
> > Office 2003 and installing Office 2000 may have caused a proble
> with
> > registry entries not being deleted.
> >
> > So as a last ditch effort, I uninstalled Office 2000 and restarte
> and
> > then reinstalled Office 2003 and restarted, and then uninstalle
> Office
> > 2003 and restarted and FINALLY I installed Office 2000 again.  T
> my
> > dismay, the problem is still there.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated!  I'm desperate!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > KJ
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

My problem isn't so much what it looks like on screen, but the fact tha
when I print it, it no longer fits on one page.  (I noticed that o
other computers with the same resolution as mine, it looks fine o
screen and prints fine as well).  I figured no matter what I changed m
resolution to, it would print the same way regardless?  Am I mistaken?
:(

Thanks,
KJ

Hans wrote:
> *Hi
>
> Doesnt it have something to do with your computer screen
> setup? Try Settings, Control Panel, Display, tab Settings
> and check if you have the same settings as on other
> computers.
>
> Im not sure if it will make a difference - just an idea...
>
> regards
> Hans

UPDATE:

I checked the "font substitutes" in the registry and all the fonts wer
the same value (including the 'system font').  I don't know what to d
now!

I'm at a loss!  Any other ideas?

- K

Anyone

1) Are you using the same screen resolution as on the other computers? The
actual column widths are a specified number of characters plus a few pixels
for space either side of the cell contents and the gridline. If you are
using a different screen resolution then the pixels will be a different
width.
2) Get a ruler and measure the column widths on your system and on the
others, to see if it is really the column that is wider or the text that is
shorter. If the column is wider then you need to see what is specified as
the 'standard' font (see the Excel help text topic "Change column width").
If the columns are the same size but the text is smaller then see which font
is being used for the cell text. Check that you actually have a font file
for this font in your system fonts folder (if you don't then Windows will be
substituting a different font), and that it is the same file as is in use on
the ther systems.

"KJM3 >" <<KJM3.165xuo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone?
>

> ---

Stephen
5/13/2004 10:13:29 AM
Hi Stephen,

My problem centers around the fact that when I print, it no longer fit
on one page.  No matter what I've changed the screen resolution to, th
print preview still looks the same.  Mine has more "white" spac
between either side of the cell contents and the gridline.  As
result, my printouts go onto 2 pages instead of 1.  I've even trie
putting other printers onto my computer, but the problem is the same.

It's not really MY computer's problem as other computers I've sent th
file to (at different companies) all say it prints onto 2 pages.
Unfortunately, 5 other people in my office use these files so I have t
change my computer to fit the spreadsheet (I can't ask 5 other's to fi
the problem).

On the printout, I can see that my printouts have wider and talle
columns than the other people's printouts.

Also, both fonts are "Arial 10" which shouldn't be a problem.  I eve
checked the registry for "FontSubstitute" and we have the same fon
codes etc.

I'm so stumped, but I can't work on this file at my own computer until
I resolve this.  So far, I've been working on OTHER people'
computers!!!

But as always, your advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
KJ

Stephen Bye wrote:
> *1) Are you using the same screen resolution as on the othe
> computers? The
> actual column widths are a specified number of characters plus a fe
> pixels
> for space either side of the cell contents and the gridline. If yo
> are
> using a different screen resolution then the pixels will be
> different
> width.
> 2) Get a ruler and measure the column widths on your system and o
> the
> others, to see if it is really the column that is wider or the tex
> that is
> shorter. If the column is wider then you need to see what i
> specified as
> the 'standard' font (see the Excel help text topic "Change colum
> width").
> If the columns are the same size but the text is smaller then se
> which font
> is being used for the cell text. Check that you actually have a fon
> file
> for this font in your system fonts folder (if you don't then Window
> will be
> substituting a different font), and that it is the same file as is i
> use on
> the ther systems.
>
> "KJM3 >" <<KJM3.165xuo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone?
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

Okay, then go to File > Page Setup and check the box to fit the output to 1
pages wide by 1 pages tall; does that fix it?

"KJM3 >" <<KJM3.167ntt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > different
> > width.
> > 2) Get a ruler and measure the column widths on your system and on
> > the
> > others, to see if it is really the column that is wider or the text
> > that is
> > shorter. If the column is wider then you need to see what is
> > specified as
> > the 'standard' font (see the Excel help text topic "Change column
> > width").
> > If the columns are the same size but the text is smaller then see
> > which font
> > is being used for the cell text. Check that you actually have a font
> > file
> > for this font in your system fonts folder (if you don't then Windows
> > will be
> > substituting a different font), and that it is the same file as is in

Stephen

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

Outlook 2000 / outlook today problem
I have set Outlook 2000 to open in the Outlook Today page and although I have been using the application for some years, I have only just noticed that Saturday and Sunday do not display [ outlook today calendar] and appointment or anniversaries that fall over the weekend are shown as 'today' = Friday. Is there any way of fixing this ? Thanks in advance. ...

Possible Bug: ArgumentOutOfRangeException when using xsl:sort and xsl:strip-space has been declared
I have a scheduled job that uses different XSL templates to transform XML and save it to disk. I am having problems with the code below. The problem shows up on both my development machine (Windows XP Pro SP 1, .Net Framework 1.1) and on our production server (Windows 2K SP 4, .Net Framework 1.1). I have simplified the code and data to isolate the problem. When I use the xsl:strip-space (Line 12) declaration in conjunction with the xsl:sort element located on Line 80 I get an ArgumentOutOfRangeException thrown. If I comment out either line everything works fine. The extra twist is that there a...

Font problem with metafile
I have the following code to draw vertical text to a DC. LOGFONT lf; lf.lfEscapement = 900; lf.lfOrientation = 900; CFont font; font.CreateFontIndirect(&lf); CFont* pOldFont = pDC->SelectObject(&font); pDC->TextOut(...); .... it draws correctly on the screen but not to a metafile. When I insert the metafile to Word the text is not vertical. But on the save machine when I insert it to Excel the text is vertical. What could be the problem. Can anybody help me. xiaoguo ge, If the metafile looks like expected in Excel, but not in Word, I would normally say that this seems to...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

NUMBERS PROBLEM
Hi, I have exchange 2003 setup with Outlook 2003 client.In AD some of the user details appears as follows with numbers at their end.The id's work fine. legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Mohammed Mannathodi63266254 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Patric Lundin53784058 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Beena Menon23767644 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Ashraf Babu82709263 legacyExchangeD...

Problems trying to get to <<Next Record>>
I am using Publisher 2003 and cannot find out how to get to the <<next record>> as in Word mail merge. I see this has been a problem since 2005 and was wondering if Microsoft has since corrected this. If so, how do I obtain the fix OR how do I get it to print correctly? I am creating a "membership" form in Publisher 2003. It is on a single page with two forms to a page. (Each form is a half page in length.) Printing two forms on one page didn't work because the same name and address printed on the top and bottom forms. I then resaved this document creating...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

problem with calling mfc dll from #C
Hi All, Debug Assertion Failed File dbgheap.c _CrtIsValidHeapPointer() I get the above while trying to CGAL::Intersection(Polygon_2 , Polygon_2,std::back_inserter(...)) in a MFC DLL project (Visual Studio .Net 2003) I call it from C# project. What to do to fix my project? Please Help Thanks Miki How are you calling the MFC dll? Is it managed code with MFC or simply an COM server which has been imported in managed code? Also, you are better off posting this in dotnet.vc newsgroup. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "miki" <mich...

Too many different cell formats #6

Portfolio Manager Problem
I've been usually the basic portfolio manager on msn. Today I couldn't bring it up and received a message that I had to reset my email and password. I signed up again for Passport with my latest email and password. I brought up Portfolio Manager but it doesn't have any of my previous data or accounts. Is there any way for me to get the accounts back into Portfolio Manager, like a backup or something. It seems every month or two I have some kind of problem like this where my password and or email address suddenly doesn't work on MSN. I'm using Windows Me and IE 6. Would...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

A2007
Is this a bug or is my db corrupted? I have queries for the record source of many reports that were originally created in A 2003. When I open up the query (not a stored query, but just the sql code) and make changes, and run it, it runs fine. I save it and save the report. Then when I open the report, it reverts back to the previous sql statement and my changes disappear! I have ended up having to create stored queries and use them as the record source, which works, but it is frustrating to not be able to have a sql string as a record source on the report. Can anyone else duplicat...

out of memory problems with Outlook 2002 after Office Update
Yesterday I ran the Office Update through the Microsoft web site, and now my Outlook 2002 (Windows XP), keeps displaying the "Out of Memory or low on System Resources" message. I reboot, close all other tasks, and even check my CPU usage, and my system is ok, all other applications run fine. But with Outlook, I can basically do 1-2 tasks on a clean boot (i.e. check mail, read one message), then Outlook stops working. Can't read the calender, read an email or delete an email, just the same out of memoory message. Just to be safe, I have also run virus scan using the l...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Gmail problem in Outlook 2010
I can sometimes send to my POP gmail account, but haven't been able to receive mail from that account at all. Gmail is the only acct. I use for email, and have had no problems in setting up gmail with its various settings in OL 2000. A little context: a few days ago I got a new computer, I installed Win 7, I then installed my old Office Pro 2000 suite including OL 2000. OL 2000 was generally able to send/receive from my gmail acct., but as is common, OL 2000 kept having problems so I decided to buy Office Pro 2010. I uninstalled Office 2000, and installed Office 2010. OL 2010 incorpor...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

cached password problem
I have a user who whenever she changes her network password it breaks the authentication in outlook and IM. I am running xp machines and exchange 2000. She can change her password fine and authenticate to the domain and have full network access but both her IM and outlook break. Her outlook promptes for a password everytime it connects but works, her IM prompts for username password and domain everytime she connects. The problem can be fixed by deleting her local profile and relogging allowing a new profile to be built. But then recurs the next password change cycle. Is there a way to force s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Problem with product customisation
I really need to have suuplie name in the main list of products but for some reason its doesnt appear in the allowable options with all the other fields you can add. I really need this to be there. I know it can be added to the drop down for the product but it really doesn't suit our business to have to click on the product everytime we want to see who the supplier is. Surely theres a way to do this. Anyone? You can add Vendor Name to the Main List of Products, is this what you were trying to do? Regards, Chris "George" wrote: > I really need to have suuplie name...

sp3 install/uninstall problem
Hi all I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first. Here is my problem Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED. Appreciate any helpful response. TIA. OS Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition franktee KWV What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defe...

Graphics problem on website created in Publisher
I'm designing a simple 6 page website. My home page graphics look great but the same borders and logos on the other pages will not show up. When I look at their properties they are pointing to the C: drive folder instead of the Home_files folder I loaded on FTP. I've tried to change the code but it doesn't appear that I'm able to do that. Can anyone help? Move all images and other design elements off of the Master Page onto the main page. (View > Master page). In general limit the use of the Master Page feature to print publications and not web publications. ...