Cell refering filename in formula bar

How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar?
Example:

='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1

A    |     B                 |    C
1         |                        |
2         |  filename1       |
3         |                        |
4         |                        |

="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1
will not work

--
yee ve
yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479

Hi Yee Ven,

Just add &-chars around the ref, like this:

="\\Year 2004\September\["&B2&".xls]sheet1'!$A$1"

- Asse

--
Jazze
Jazzer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=446

I think the function you want to use is called =indirect().

But the bad news is it doesn't work with closed workbooks.

Harlan Grove already wrote that VBA UserDefinedFunction that will return a value
from a closed workbook (when that path/workbookname/sheetname/address is not
directly typed in:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=sH1La.4495%24cJ5.436%40www.newsranger.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

Adding weekdays in a date formula
How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. A1 = 1/1/10 If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS (excluding weekends), what formular would I use? =(A1+80) does't work... You were close to the name... =WORKDAY(A1,80) Note that you can add a third arguement to this function to define holidays, if desired. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Handy" <Handy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D7071-1877-4CAE-A17D-05EE0FDD02AC@microsoft.com... > How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. > > A1 = 1/1/10 > > If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

Embedding <CR>'s in formulas eases eye strain.
Hey y'all, if didn't know this, I just discovered: You can embed internal carriage returns (i.e. Enter's) in a formula. Insert a <CR> into a cell with Alt-Enter, while in edit mode. I have many calls to home-grown functions (UDFs) which I pass up to dozens of parameters each. Worse, my params can be embedded functions, with params, themselves. So now my formulas look like: =MyFunc(Subfunc1(Subparam1.1,...), Subfunc2(Subparam2.1,...), Subfunc3...etc.) instead of the following mess. (Text wrap may be altered a bit by Google by the time you read this): =My...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Lost English in Language Bar
Lost English in Language Bar On XP, lost English from language bar - To correct, click 'start' button, then 'control panel', then 'regional and language..', then 'advanced', and in 'Select a language to match...', select language to add which in this case is English(United States), click OK, you will receive a notice that ´the required files are already installed...´, click Yes, and notice will appear 'ýou must restart your computer...', click Yes. If you are locked into a language other than English, then you will not be ...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

the menu bar is hidden under the title bar in a frame window generated from a dll ...
Hi, A very simple frame window generated from a dll of mine always has its menu bar hidden under the title bar. I have to click on the title bar to make the menu items show up. The following code that generates the frame window is actually copied from a small test program to the dll. In the test program, the code works just fine. So what makes the difference? I suspect IDR_MENU_TEST is only partially successfully loaded in the dll. Any reason for it? Pleave provide me any clue and hint. Your help is much appreciated. (I am using VS 2005) C2DGraphDoc *pDoc = new C2DGraphDoc...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

Formula in Marksheet #2
Hi all... I need help on a 'formula' for my students' marksheet. For them to pass the whole exam, a student MUST PASS 7 SUBJECTS from 3 groups. The grouping is like these : A) Must pass ALL 4 subjects in Group A - marks are in cells D7, F7, H7, J7 B) Must pass AT LEAST 2 OUT OF 3 subjects in Group B - marks are in cells L7, N7, P7 C) Must pass AT LEAST 1 OUT OF 2 subjects in Group C - marks are in cells R7, T7 Thank you so much something like? if count(d7,f7,h7,j7)<4,"bad","good") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.co...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

An issue regarding the formula #2
Hi, It's OK to copy the formula from one cell to another one within the same sheet. How about that to copy the formula from one Excel file to another one? It seems only the value of that cell will be copied to that file but not the formula inside it. I even have tried to copy the corr. formula within that again but just the copied formula will not work successfully in there. -- HuaMin ...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

adding a scroll bar
Is there a way to add a scroll bar when cutomizing a page on the isv.conf page? It would be a navbaritem and it spills off the page and needs a scroll bar. Andy yes there is. open your source code for your form ie look at the html and put this tag in the body section <body MS_POSITIONING="GridLayout" scroll="yes"> "Andrew Judge" <ajudge@grovenetworks_NOSPAM_.com> wrote in message news:eDsKfagLEHA.3956@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to add a scroll bar when cutomizing a page on the isv.conf > page? It would be a navbaritem and...

Formulas SUM(INDIRECT(CONACATENTE( formula
Can anymone explain this formula in excel in simple english. Step b step. I am looking at the imput and output tables. I am looking at th url link with a spreasheet methodology below http://www.statistics.gov.uk/about/methodology_by_theme/inputoutput/downloads/Menu!A You will notice this formula on one of the sheets. Formula =SUM(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'",$B$8,"'","!",C$31,$A40,":",C$32,$B40))) I know sum is add up Really don't know its use with the indirect function. Don't understan it. I know the concatenate function is join cel...

How do I use Conditinal Format for another cell?
Assuming Cell A1 is the value "Red" or "Green" or "Yellow" How could I have a formula on Cell "C1" containing Conditional formatin the same as below if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red if A1 is "Blue" then Bacground of A1 turns to Blue if A1 is "Yellow" then Bacground of A1 turns to Yellow I assume that your statement if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red should be if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of C1 turns to red ??? Assuming that to be true Select C...