Cell Referencing #3

I'm having a slight problem with referencing to a cell.

One cell is a simple SUM formula, which returns a number.  Is there any way that I can somehow make the returned number from this cell to the row number in a cell reference in a formula for another cell?

For instance, say for F10, I have =SUM(some range).  In H10, I want to put in a formula that says =G(F10) + 5, where F10 would correspond to the value returned by the sum, making that the row number in the G column.

Thank you for any help
0
SLynn (3)

Hi

Yes you can!! Try something like this:
=INDIRECT("G"&F10+5)
You were pretty close, really!

--
Andy.

"SLynn" <SLynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a slight problem with referencing to a cell.
>
> One cell is a simple SUM formula, which returns a number.  Is there any
way that I can somehow make the returned number from this cell to the row
number in a cell reference in a formula for another cell?

> For instance, say for F10, I have =SUM(some range).  In H10, I want to put
in a formula that says =G(F10) + 5, where F10 would correspond to the value
returned by the sum, making that the row number in the G column.

> Thank you for any help

0
andyb1 (494)
7/1/2004 11:31:24 AM
I can't follow the first paragraph at all, but I think the second paragraph
works.   This differs slightly from your other answer, but you'll
be able to identify quickly which is what you wanted.

F10:  =SUM(B2:F2)
H10:  =G(F10) + 5      -- shorthand version

H10:  =INDIRECT("G"&F10) + 5
---
HTH,

"SLynn" <SLynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B902B0FE-A0F5-4FBB-B7DF-D471E2A931A0@microsoft.com...
> I'm having a slight problem with referencing to a cell.
>
> One cell is a simple SUM formula, which returns a number.  Is there any way that I can somehow make the returned number from this
cell to the row number in a cell reference in a formula for another cell?

> For instance, say for F10, I have =SUM(some range).  In H10, I want to put in a formula that says =G(F10) + 5, where F10 would
correspond to the value returned by the sum, making that the row number in the G column.

> Thank you for any help

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Business Portal 3.0 install error
Hi, I am getting the following error " Failed loading Packager Data Element (PD_REQUISITION) for Install Feature (Requisition)" MbfPackager Failed Loading Packager Data. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

display 3 columns of 50 rows in stead of 1 column per row in Gridview/Repeater/Listview/Datalist
Hi there, I may have 3 columns in a table or list<name>). ID - INTeger Name - String AgeGt18 Checkbox (true false) a normal databindercontorl like Gridview/Repeater/Listview/Datalist displays per row. But I would like to display 3 columns. e.g. ID Name AgeGt18 ID Name AgeGt18 ID Name AgeGt18 1 Michael True 4 Michael3 True 7 Michael9 True 2 Frans l False 5 Michael1 False 8 Michae14l True 3 Frans l False 6 ...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

CTreeView #3
I don't know what happened to my other post so I am going to try again. I am trying to add a CTreeCtrl to a application with a CLeftView object. I have been trying to find so sample code of how to insert the root and the sub root items with some explaination of what each line of code is doing, or some basics of how to work with a CTreeVew & CTreeCtrl. If someone could direct me to more information I would appreciate it very much. Thanks ! -- Just Al CTreeView is pretty irrelevant here; all that matters is the CTreeCtrl. To insert an element, you do (I'm going to restrict th...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

How do I use Conditinal Format for another cell?
Assuming Cell A1 is the value "Red" or "Green" or "Yellow" How could I have a formula on Cell "C1" containing Conditional formatin the same as below if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red if A1 is "Blue" then Bacground of A1 turns to Blue if A1 is "Yellow" then Bacground of A1 turns to Yellow I assume that your statement if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red should be if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of C1 turns to red ??? Assuming that to be true Select C...

Copying into Filtered cells
Hello - I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will record a Year group's data. Each student is attached to a Maths class. I therefore need to be able to filter for a specific maths set and then copy and paste that groups test resutls into the visible cells. However, excel just copies the results into the first 30 cells in the spreadsheet (some of which are not visible due to the filter) - does anyone know how I can get excel to only paste into the filtered cells? this is an example of my spreadsheet - the filter is on maths set. SURNAME CFIRST Maths Set Teacher Paper Level NC ...

Exchange 2000 #3
I have a SBS 2000 box with exchange server 2000 running on a company network. Dns is external at another company (yes I know, i don't like it either) The dns server has one ip address, which is being used for another domain right now. They want me to point an mx record at them so they can get their mail server running (SMTP and pop3). What I have done is point an mx at mail.companyname.com, and then added the host mail, which points to their ip address. I think this should work, am I correct? Does anyone see any problems with this? It is not working yet, but I have to check the NAT and all...

increase cell character limit
Hi all, Simple question that is driving me crazy. I'm making a table containing text and numbers. One of the cells in this table has 1459 characters. For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off. I can only see them if I increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll complicate other things (readability, etc). So, how do I get all the text/characters to display in this cell? Thanks -- Weissme ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Weissme's Profile:...

MS Excel VBA DAO SQL where clause cell
Hi I'm trying to get a table of data from MS Access to MS Excel via VBA DAO programming. In my worksheet call 'Data' in cell D14 there is my string value call "toys & Chairs" I can get the DATA into MS Excel without the Where clause in my SQL VBA script. The problem is when I use the WHERE clause which sources its value from cell D14... In my VBA code. Firstly, cell D14 is defined in VBA: Dim r1 As String r1 = Range("D14") Secondly, MY SQL is: SQL = "LVL_1, LVL_2, LVL_3" SQL = SQL & " FROM table_ABC" SQL = SQL &...

CRM 3.0
Hi there, I've just received the 3.0 beta version. Does anyone know of any training materials or detailed demos that are available for this version? If anyone has created their own would you be willing to share? Many thanks, Sinead. -- Sinead O''Shaughnessy Hi Sinead! Sinead wrote: > I've just received the 3.0 beta version. Does anyone know of any > training materials or detailed demos that are available for this > version? If anyone has created their own would you be willing to > share? Some links: Microsoft CRM 3.0 Online Help http://www.microsoft.com/d...

How do I get the total of a range of cells that are in another she
I have two sheets in the workbook and I need to get the total of a range in sheet1 into a table on sheet2. How do I go about this? something like =sum(sheet2!$a$1:$a$5) note the ! after the sheet name bobf -- bob777 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487937 ...