Cell Format - Date Problems

I have a spreadsheet with cells that I'm trying to type
the date into.  I type in the date exactly like this:
09/26/03.  When I hit "enter" MS Excel displays "37890"
in the cell.  No matter what I do I can't the cell to
show: 09/26/03.  I think that somehow I need to "strip"
the cell of what it's original format is, but I can't
figure out how.  I try to use the Date option in the
format cell screen but it doesn't work.

Curtis
0
c1hansen3 (3)

I tried this and it didn't work.  I also tried the "Text
to columns" feature.  No success.

If
>so, applying a date format will not change the number to
>a date.  Try first deleting the cell information, then
>formatting the cell to a date format, then type in the
>date.  IE, get rid of the data in the cell before you
>apply cell formatting.
>
>Hope this helps.

0
c1hansen3 (3)
9/26/2003 7:28:16 PM
You may have Formulas set to visible. To change this setting,

1. Choose Tools>Options
2. Select the View tab
3. Under Window options, remove the check mark from Formulas
4. Click OK

The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + ` (accent grave, left of the 1 key)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd (439)
9/26/2003 7:37:17 PM
That worked!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  It
was driving me insane!!!!

You're a lifesaver!

0
c1hansen3 (3)
9/26/2003 8:54:44 PM
You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd (439)

Need data result in last cell of array that contains blank cells
Example: A1=200 B1=300 C1=400 D1=[blank] E1=[blank] F1=[blank] G1=(last cell from above that contains data...i.e. C1) I'm a bit of an Excel novice so could really use a little help. Thanks! Assuming that range will only contain numbers, try something like this: =LOOKUP(10^99,A1:F1) or...if you want to avoid an error when there are no numbers: =IF(COUNT(A1:F1),LOOKUP(10^99,A1:F1),"") Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2003, WinXP "smesurfer" wrote: > Example: > > A1=200 > B1=300 > C1=400 >...

How do i extract worksheet cells with the same contents?
Office Pro Microsoft Excel . I import three separate lists into one worksheet and want to extract only cells with similar contents to a separate worksheet. Define "similar". If it is "the same" and those entries are in the same column, then you could use data --> autofilter on that column and copy the rows left in view to the other worksheet. "doncuba" wrote: > Office Pro Microsoft Excel . I import three separate lists into one worksheet > and want to extract only cells with similar contents to a separate worksheet. ...

Pictures within a cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have created a list of the items in a collection of mine. I have 'drag &amp; dropped' a picture of each of these items to a cell in a single column. <br><br>When viewing the picture properties, the option to &quot;move and size with cell&quot; is selected. However, if I select the sheet and sort by any column header, the pictures stay in their original position while the data in the surrounding columns re-orders according to the sort criteria. <br><br>I would appreciate any advice a...

Startup problems
when i try to start outlook the message below comes up. Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode? I have followed instructions in the help menu,it suggest to see if any add-ins have been disabled but no items have been dissabled has. anyone any ideas On 06 May 2004 12:16, "COLIN" wrote: >when i try to start outlook the message below comes up. > >...

Cell reference
For example, I know I can refer to another worksheet in a cell formula as such: =Data!C6 However, Is there a way to refer to the name of the sheet based on the name of the sheet being a variable (ie. the contents of another cell?) THanks Matt Lawson Hi =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!C6) where A1 stores your sheet name "Matt Lawson" wrote: > For example, I know I can refer to another worksheet in a cell formula as such: > =Data!C6 > > However, Is there a way to refer to the name of the sheet based on the name > of the sheet being a var...

Finding the rightmost occupied cell
If I have a range of cells across a row, where only some of the cells on the left of the range are occupied, is there a way I could extract the value in the rightmost of the occupied cells (Excel 2003)? -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) If your data is in A19:N19, for example: =LOOKUP(2,1/(A19:N19<>""),A19:N19) Yes, I know it looks odd, but it works. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Paul Hyett" <vidcapper@invalid83261.co.uk> wrote in message news:XNB8JtTJZ8NKFwYx@blueyonder.co.uk... > If I have a range of...

Problem with CString::Delete
CString str = "12345"; // this works fine str.Delete(2, 3); // this does not result in an access violation but also does not work str.Delete(2, 4); // both of these result in an access violation str.Delete(2, INT_MAX - 1); str.Delete(2, str.GetLength()); Per MSDN, if nCount is longer than the string, the remainder of the string will be removed. While this may have been the intent, it obviously does not work. Is this a known issue? I can use Left() just fine, but I was more curious as to what was up with Delete(). The nBytesToCopy variable in Delete() is negative right befor...

Keep adding to one cell to carry a total in another
Hi I want to be able to use one cell to keep adding new numbers to that will accumulate the total in another cell. Ex: I use A1 as the cell to input a new number that will carry a total in A2 any help would be appreciated Try this in the sheet module. Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next If Target <> Range("A1") Then Range("A1").Select Exit Sub End If Application.EnableEvents = False Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("A2").Value Target.Select Application.Enabl...

Pattern formatting for textboxes
Is there a way to have pattern formatting instead of solid colors for textboxes on forms? Thank you. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:08:11 GMT, chris1 via AccessMonster.com wrote: > Is there a way to have pattern formatting instead of solid colors for > textboxes on forms? Thank you. In Access, no. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...

Can Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Yes, of course. B1 contains this formula: =IF(A1=1,5,6) On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:03:02 -0800, "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Example: > >If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 >should be 6. > >A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? ...

Outlook 2003 'internet format' puzzler
In Outlook 2003, I have all the mail options set to HTML format for my emails. When I create a new contact directly from Outlook, and right-click on the email address field and select 'properties', it says the Internet Format is "Let Outlook decide the best sending format", which is what I want. The mystery is what happens when the new contact is created by Intellisync Lite when I sync my Sony Clie PDA. A new contact created this way shows that the Internet Format for that new contact's email address is "Send using Outlook's Rich Text Format", which I don...

Copy actual URL from hyperlink cell
I have a spreadsheet with thousands of records. One column contains hyperlinks either created manually using the Insert->Hyperlink action or via a =HYPERLINK() dynamic formula. I need to return the URL for the cyperlink column into another column so that I can use it for some other purpose. The new cells would simply contain text like http://website/folder/file.htm. I couldn't find a function that returned the URL, so I'm wondering if there is another way to get the info? A macro possibly? Thanks for your help IAN Ian Not sure if I understand, but the code below will iterat...

Formula Cell Error
Hi all, i have a problem with the following code, would appreciate if anyone can give me some help on this. Basically everything works fine except for this line: Cells(i, 12).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(J" & StartCount & ":J" & EndCount & ")" The cell will reflect "=SUM('J2':'J3')" instead of "=SUM(J2:J3)". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub Test() For i = 2 To 100 Step 1 Cells(i, 1).Select If Cells(i, 1).Interior.ColorI...

problem validating xml against schema
I have a web app that has been running happily for months, and on Saturday it suddenly decided that it no longer wanted to validate my XML. Here is my code and sample schema, and example XML : public void ValidateAgainstSchema(object sender, ValidationEventArgs args) { blnInvalidXML = true; } //in page load : XmlTextReader tr = new XmlTextReader(new StringReader(strReceivedXmlDoc)); XmlValidatingReader trv = new XmlValidatingReader(tr); trv.ValidationType = ValidationType.Schema; trv.ValidationEventHandler += new ValidationEventHandler(this.ValidateAgainstSchema); ...

I need to count cells with conditional format
Hi, I have a table with cells that have conditional formats. If one condition is met then that cell become red. Not all cells are red on a column. I want to count only the red cells on that column. Is it possible? Thx. -- FlorianG Have you tried the COUNTIF function, using the same criteria set in the conditional formatting? Otherwise, the only way I know of to count red cells is through a macro. Simon Shaw www.accounttech.ca "Florian" wrote: > Hi, I have a table with cells that have conditional formats. > If one condition is met then that cell become red. Not all cells...

Formatted text in multiple lines in CListCtrl #3
I would like to know how can I display formatted text (Different fonts and colors) in multiple lines in a single cell in CListCtrl large icon view. I have seen samples on codeproject/codeguru that deals with changing text color/font. But I would like to display formatted text (e.g: Some bold text and some different color in multiple lines in a single item) along with an icon in each cell. How can I achieve this using CListCtrl? If not, can you please suggest any alternative solutions? The following article on codeproject suggests on how to change the row height in an owner drawn list control...

Tabbing from cell to cell
When I press the tab key in a brand new worksheet the cursor moves from A1 to L1 then to W1...anyone? Thanks! Connie An effect similar to the one you describe can occur if the "Transition navigation keys" checkbox is active. Goto Tools>Options>Transition and see if the box is checked "ConnieF" wrote: > When I press the tab key in a brand new worksheet the cursor moves from A1 to > L1 then to W1...anyone? > Thanks! > Connie ...

Modifying UnProtected Cells
I have a user who Is using Excel XP. SHe has created a workbook with Some Protected cells. She emails to another user who is using Excel 2000 - this user is unable to modify any cells. The error states that the cells are all protected. A user that has Excel XP or 2003 is able to modify the unprotected cells. I have installed all the updates to Office 2000 - any other suggestions? THanks in advance! Gladys: Likely the cells aren't being protected/unprotected properly. Cells are protected by default. Check this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cell_locking_in_microsoft_excel.htm *...

How to copy specific number of rows from cells to cells?
There is a given number in cell U1, which equals to 9, so I would like to copy 9 cells starting from cell V3, which should copy from V3 to V11 and paste text only into A3 to A11. If the given number in cell U1 is 6, then I would like to copy 6 cells starting from cell V3, which should copy from V3 to V11 and paste text only into A3 to A8. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code this macro in excel 2003? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric Try.. Range("V3").Resize(Range("U1").Value).Copy Range("A3") -- Jacob (MVP -...

Check if content in cell is an integer
How do I check if the content in a cell, when divided by 4, returns an integer? It should give me 150 if it is an integer and display "NA" if it is not an integer. For example, the formula should check if the content A2 divided by 4 is an integer and display the necessary answer in cell C2. Hopefully the formula can be use to check any corresponding cell in this manner. I.E check if content in cell A3 when divided by 4 is an integer and display the necessary in cell C3, check if content in cell A4 when divided by 4 is an integer and diaplay the necessary in cell C4 and so on...

Problem with recording mortgage payments in Money 2004 Small Business
I migrated from Money 2002 Small Business to Money 2004 Small Business. Had one house and one mortgage loan prior to migration. Mortgage loan payment was set up in Bills and Deposits, and every month Money would correctly post interest and principal splits when the payment posted. Now after adding another house and another mortgage, I notice that Money no longer posts appropriately calculated interest and principal amounts for either of the loans. In the loan details screen it says amounts are "Calculated". When it posts to the register, when I open splits I see that intere...

can i somehow put two cells into one column or split a column
Data>text to columns to split =A1&B1 in a third cell with concatenate 2 (or more) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Chrono" <Chrono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E211310C-11BC-423A-92AF-5F0863940E4D@microsoft.com... > ...

Saving and Excel sheet in a format such as JPG
I would like to save an excel sheet in a format such as JPG or something like that - for the reason of emailing invoices. I have tried cutting and pasing from Excel to Publisher, but I would think there would be an easier thing to do. Any idea? Thanks, Jeremy Select your range shift-edit|Copy Picture Then try pasting into Publisher. If that doesn't work, you could paste into Paint, save as .jpg and then import into Publisher (maybe???, I don't use Publisher). Jeremy R wrote: > > I would like to save an excel sheet in a format such as JPG or something like > that - f...

Formatting Cell Comments
Is there a way to pre-format cell comments? I am using Excel 2000 & 2003 and I'm looking for some sort of option t set the format of cell comments so I don't have to go into each an every comment and format it. And I'm not looking to use a macro for this (via PERSONAL.xl workbook). Is there a way to do this? Thank -- malik64 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2419 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39622 Cell Comme...

subtracting 2 cells but only if 1st cell is greater than 0
In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is , or = to 0, in which case, I would like e11 to be 0. i have tried severeral =if and sumif formulas and can't get anything to work. Any suggestions? hi if i understand your post, you want c11 subtracted from d11 if c11 is greater than or equal to 0 otherwize 0. try this..... =IF(OR(C11>0,C11=0),D11-C11,0) post back if i misunderstood. Regards FSt1 "Maureen" wrote: > In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is > , or = to 0, in which case...