Cell Format - Date Problems

I have a spreadsheet with cells that I'm trying to type
the date into.  I type in the date exactly like this:
09/26/03.  When I hit "enter" MS Excel displays "37890"
in the cell.  No matter what I do I can't the cell to
show: 09/26/03.  I think that somehow I need to "strip"
the cell of what it's original format is, but I can't
figure out how.  I try to use the Date option in the
format cell screen but it doesn't work.

Curtis
0
c1hansen3 (3)

I tried this and it didn't work.  I also tried the "Text
to columns" feature.  No success.

If
>so, applying a date format will not change the number to
>a date.  Try first deleting the cell information, then
>formatting the cell to a date format, then type in the
>date.  IE, get rid of the data in the cell before you
>apply cell formatting.
>
>Hope this helps.

0
c1hansen3 (3)
9/26/2003 7:28:16 PM
You may have Formulas set to visible. To change this setting,

1. Choose Tools>Options
2. Select the View tab
3. Under Window options, remove the check mark from Formulas
4. Click OK

The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + ` (accent grave, left of the 1 key)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd (439)
9/26/2003 7:37:17 PM
That worked!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  It
was driving me insane!!!!

You're a lifesaver!

0
c1hansen3 (3)
9/26/2003 8:54:44 PM
You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd (439)

Font problem with metafile
I have the following code to draw vertical text to a DC. LOGFONT lf; lf.lfEscapement = 900; lf.lfOrientation = 900; CFont font; font.CreateFontIndirect(&lf); CFont* pOldFont = pDC->SelectObject(&font); pDC->TextOut(...); .... it draws correctly on the screen but not to a metafile. When I insert the metafile to Word the text is not vertical. But on the save machine when I insert it to Excel the text is vertical. What could be the problem. Can anybody help me. xiaoguo ge, If the metafile looks like expected in Excel, but not in Word, I would normally say that this seems to...

Outlook 2000 / outlook today problem
I have set Outlook 2000 to open in the Outlook Today page and although I have been using the application for some years, I have only just noticed that Saturday and Sunday do not display [ outlook today calendar] and appointment or anniversaries that fall over the weekend are shown as 'today' = Friday. Is there any way of fixing this ? Thanks in advance. ...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

NUMBERS PROBLEM
Hi, I have exchange 2003 setup with Outlook 2003 client.In AD some of the user details appears as follows with numbers at their end.The id's work fine. legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Mohammed Mannathodi63266254 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Patric Lundin53784058 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Beena Menon23767644 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Ashraf Babu82709263 legacyExchangeD...

Problems trying to get to <<Next Record>>
I am using Publisher 2003 and cannot find out how to get to the <<next record>> as in Word mail merge. I see this has been a problem since 2005 and was wondering if Microsoft has since corrected this. If so, how do I obtain the fix OR how do I get it to print correctly? I am creating a "membership" form in Publisher 2003. It is on a single page with two forms to a page. (Each form is a half page in length.) Printing two forms on one page didn't work because the same name and address printed on the top and bottom forms. I then resaved this document creating...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

problem with calling mfc dll from #C
Hi All, Debug Assertion Failed File dbgheap.c _CrtIsValidHeapPointer() I get the above while trying to CGAL::Intersection(Polygon_2 , Polygon_2,std::back_inserter(...)) in a MFC DLL project (Visual Studio .Net 2003) I call it from C# project. What to do to fix my project? Please Help Thanks Miki How are you calling the MFC dll? Is it managed code with MFC or simply an COM server which has been imported in managed code? Also, you are better off posting this in dotnet.vc newsgroup. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "miki" <mich...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

Too many different cell formats #6

Portfolio Manager Problem
I've been usually the basic portfolio manager on msn. Today I couldn't bring it up and received a message that I had to reset my email and password. I signed up again for Passport with my latest email and password. I brought up Portfolio Manager but it doesn't have any of my previous data or accounts. Is there any way for me to get the accounts back into Portfolio Manager, like a backup or something. It seems every month or two I have some kind of problem like this where my password and or email address suddenly doesn't work on MSN. I'm using Windows Me and IE 6. Would...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

out of memory problems with Outlook 2002 after Office Update
Yesterday I ran the Office Update through the Microsoft web site, and now my Outlook 2002 (Windows XP), keeps displaying the "Out of Memory or low on System Resources" message. I reboot, close all other tasks, and even check my CPU usage, and my system is ok, all other applications run fine. But with Outlook, I can basically do 1-2 tasks on a clean boot (i.e. check mail, read one message), then Outlook stops working. Can't read the calender, read an email or delete an email, just the same out of memoory message. Just to be safe, I have also run virus scan using the l...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

cached password problem
I have a user who whenever she changes her network password it breaks the authentication in outlook and IM. I am running xp machines and exchange 2000. She can change her password fine and authenticate to the domain and have full network access but both her IM and outlook break. Her outlook promptes for a password everytime it connects but works, her IM prompts for username password and domain everytime she connects. The problem can be fixed by deleting her local profile and relogging allowing a new profile to be built. But then recurs the next password change cycle. Is there a way to force s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

sp3 install/uninstall problem
Hi all I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first. Here is my problem Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED. Appreciate any helpful response. TIA. OS Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition franktee KWV What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defe...

Problem with product customisation
I really need to have suuplie name in the main list of products but for some reason its doesnt appear in the allowable options with all the other fields you can add. I really need this to be there. I know it can be added to the drop down for the product but it really doesn't suit our business to have to click on the product everytime we want to see who the supplier is. Surely theres a way to do this. Anyone? You can add Vendor Name to the Main List of Products, is this what you were trying to do? Regards, Chris "George" wrote: > I really need to have suuplie name...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Money's database format
I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor (can't do much else with them). The first thing in the file's header was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states this. Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM Database" with that. I saved it and now Access didn't complain about unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just means they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight int...

Vendor Payment Problem 2
One more problem, I am using "Pay Vendors" and paying to everybody, then returning back and can see some Vendors with 0 balance. When I click on in to check, there is not invoices or so. Can you suggest something. Thank you. what does the check edit list say? Mike "Vitali V" <vitvov@dynamo-ny.com> wrote in message news:eLcTmkk$IHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > One more problem, I am using "Pay Vendors" and paying to everybody, then > returning back and can see some Vendors with 0 balance. When I click on in > to check, there is not invo...