cell data changing when a value within a group is changed

Hi,

I have a sheet where there are several scores within one row.each column
represents a different persons score.

These scores are ever-changing. Above this row, I enter 1st,2nd,3rd,4th
depending on what place the score is in.

what i currently do, is when i change one score, I have to change the 1st,
2nd field for each column. this becomes a pain.

What I would ideally like is when I change one score, it checks against the
other scores and then assigns what position it is in. Then in turn, it
changes the position for the other scores, so that no one score has the same
position i.e each score in its own position.

sounds complicated, but I think its just the way I have explained.

Any help would be appreciated.
thankyou
0
sandmania (8)

If the highest score is the highest number, then do it vertically.

A               B
1st            60
2nd           50
3rd            40

Then, you can just enter the scores in col. B and sort col. B
only....descending.

"sandmania" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a sheet where there are several scores within one row.each column
> represents a different persons score.
>
> These scores are ever-changing. Above this row, I enter 1st,2nd,3rd,4th
> depending on what place the score is in.
>
> what i currently do, is when i change one score, I have to change the 1st,
> 2nd field for each column. this becomes a pain.
>
> What I would ideally like is when I change one score, it checks against the
> other scores and then assigns what position it is in. Then in turn, it
> changes the position for the other scores, so that no one score has the same
> position i.e each score in its own position.
>
> sounds complicated, but I think its just the way I have explained.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> thankyou
0
JR1 (208)

How do I change the color of the font shadow in Publisher2003
I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and > highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Create a second text box with the merge field in, displace it slightly, send it behind the first text box and change the font colour. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

user form that retrieves data from Microsoft Access query
I created a word document that displays a userform when the template is opened, when you click on the ok button on the userform the template should display data that comes from a microsoft access query. The thing is that this works perfectly for me with my non-administrators account. The problem is that whenever another user is trying to open this template no data is being displayed. I checked the permissions on the folder where the template is located and that looks fine. Anyone has any idea what I might be doing wrong here? Thanks in advance. Where is the database, ...

Changing column widths and decimal accurancy
Hi - I have 2 Q's for anyone happy to help... 1. Is it possible to change the column widths in some windows? I specifically would like to change the default width in the discount screens (Settings --> Product Catalog --> Discount Lists --> Discounts) so that "Begin Quantity", "End Quantity" and "Percentage" are all displayed on screen with a much small colum width. 2. How can I cange the default decimal accuracy in the smae discount screens from 5 decimal places to just 1 ? Many thanks ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

Merging excel data into word #2
Ok, I have a feeling this process is quite simple, but I haven't bee able to figure it out on my own, nor find anything in FAQ's. I have created an excel spreadsheet containing the following: students' last name, first name, ID number, advisor and counselo (obvioulsy Im in education) I would now like to create a phone call log for each student, but woul like to import each students' info into this word document. So as print the 100 or so pages, page one would have the first students info page two would contain the second students info, and so on. Any help is greatly appre...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Query leaving out some data
Access 2003 I think this must be a pretty easy question, but unfortunately I'm unable to identify the solution . . . SIMPLIFIED SUMMARY Customer Table CustomerID Company Name 3301 ABC Industries 3302 My Store, Inc. 3304 A1 Company 3305 Mom & Pop's Shop Delivery Table CustomerID OrderID 3301 988374 3302 788362 3303 700287 3304 679028 Query should pull CustomerIDs for all Orders and list the CustomerID, OrderID and Company Name. (SQL = SELECT Deliveries.CustomerID, Cu...

Changing Tab Stop Alignment
Has anyone else noticed a problem changing tab the type of tab stop in the tab box in the corner where the rulers meet? My mouse is not changing to let me click through from one tab type to the next. All I get is a diagonal double-ended arrow and a message about double clicking to shift-drag the ruler to another location. Things are not working much better when I try to adjust margins in the ruler area, either. This is a problem in Publisher 2003-- never had this problem in previous versions. Any help or explantion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. It is a bug... The corner tab sett...

Window Live Support
The Windows Live´┐Ż Solution Center is now available for a Windows Live Essential applications and Live Services. http://windowslivehelp.com/ 24 different categories are now available. Note: Prior links for e-form support will redirect to the above site(afaik...eform is no longer avaialable) -- ...winston ms-mvp mail Most of the posts are being posted in the future. This post was made on January 11 and it was answered today at 10:35 PM. http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=8959fac9-cacd-4ea2-833f-1bc5ec635c4f -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail &q...

Too many different cell formats #6

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

How do I mark data points in an Excel chart as significant?
I have Excel 2003 and want to mark specific data points on a line chart as statistically significant with some kind of symbol (*). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this, or maybe it is not possible. Thanks for the help in advance. Chris - You can split the data into two series, and use a different symbol for significant points. This web page has instructions: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Chris Russe...

Data transfer from Money 2000 Professional , italian version.
I have been using Money 2000 Professional,italian version, for many years. I recently bought Money Small Business 2005, but I can't open the previous Money 2000 files. I get a message that the old file has been made with an incompatible version. The operating system is Windows 2000 Professional, italian version. What can I do? -- Sandra In microsoft.public.money, Sandra wrote: >I have been using Money 2000 Professional,italian version, for many years. >I recently bought Money Small Business 2005, but I can't open the previous >Money 2000 files. >I get a message that th...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

excel data base
hi there. i need some help please guys. i have exported some names & telephone numbers from a software packag (sms centre) & im trying 2import them in2 a package called e-txt. thes packages reads csv files. ive encountered a problem my exported files r saved in excel lik this... name country code area code phone number joe bloggs 44 07977 797898 but the e-txt database fields r as follows 1st name surname phone number joe bloggs 447977797898 how do i con...

changing settings: comma into point
hi there! currently, my excel is set to have a comma as a delimiter. a is want to copy-paste point-delimited data into excel, i have t change the excel-settings i guess? does anybody know where i can fin this option? denni ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Dennis, > hi there! currently, my excel is set to have a comma as a delimiter. as > is want to copy-paste point-delimited data into excel, i have to > change the excel-settings i guess? doe...

Automatic data collection in Manufacturing
How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter information. What exactly is the setup on this? Anyone? "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC > processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter > information. What exactly is the setup on this? If you figure the answer, do post. I will be interested in knowing this too. Scott "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you ca...

display on first occurrence of a change in the value
How can I have a report display a text message upon the first occurence of a change in the value of a field in the underlying table? In other words, the field in this table has the same value for many records in a row, but all of a sudden that can change and I want to alert the report reader once that subsequent records are now reflecting these changed values. What I think I need is some kind of switch that changes from say 0 to 1 when that first change happens. Thanks. Alan adgon, Use the Hide Duplicates propety set to Yes. Only the first instance of each value will display. --...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...