Cell color change without using conditional formatting

I have a multi-tab workbook with several checklists.
Once item on list is complete owner puts YES in status box and cell turns
green.
I have a combined list of all the tabs on another sheet.
I need the combined list to pull the YES response from each individual
checklist tab and also turn Green.

Conditional formatting will not allow cross worksheet actions. Is there
another way to pull all the YES data into the overall checklist?

thanks
Trese
0
Trese (4)

Trese,

Conditional Formating WILL allow cross worksheet actions, but the cell(s)
referenced on the other worksheet must use an Excel Name
(Insert>Name>define...) and refer to that name, or else INDIRECT the
reference.

--

HTH

RP

"Trese" <Trese@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a multi-tab workbook with several checklists.
> Once item on list is complete owner puts YES in status box and cell turns
> green.
> I have a combined list of all the tabs on another sheet.
> I need the combined list to pull the YES response from each individual
> checklist tab and also turn Green.
>
> Conditional formatting will not allow cross worksheet actions. Is there
> another way to pull all the YES data into the overall checklist?
>
> thanks
> Trese

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
8/26/2005 1:49:56 PM
....conditionally format the combined sheet using the cell values that are
being brought over from the other sheets. You don't need to reference the
other sheets. (if "cell value" =yes, then green)

"Trese" wrote:

> I have a multi-tab workbook with several checklists.
> Once item on list is complete owner puts YES in status box and cell turns
> green.
> I have a combined list of all the tabs on another sheet.
> I need the combined list to pull the YES response from each individual
> checklist tab and also turn Green.
>
> Conditional formatting will not allow cross worksheet actions. Is there
> another way to pull all the YES data into the overall checklist?
>
> thanks
> Trese
0
JR1 (208)

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

How do I change the color of the font shadow in Publisher2003
I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and > highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Create a second text box with the merge field in, displace it slightly, send it behind the first text box and change the font colour. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

Changing column widths and decimal accurancy
Hi - I have 2 Q's for anyone happy to help... 1. Is it possible to change the column widths in some windows? I specifically would like to change the default width in the discount screens (Settings --> Product Catalog --> Discount Lists --> Discounts) so that "Begin Quantity", "End Quantity" and "Percentage" are all displayed on screen with a much small colum width. 2. How can I cange the default decimal accuracy in the smae discount screens from 5 decimal places to just 1 ? Many thanks ...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

How can I have a 2yaxis column chart, without columns overlapping
Everytime I try to have a 2 axis column chart the graph columns overlap. With a single axis the columns are side by side (which i want but can't achieve with 2 axis). Any ideas? Hi, The trick is in the layout of your data. See here for details http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Cheers Andy -- -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mazsheps" <mazsheps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C26B4D8A-2411-423C-A166-82ACE8293E6F@microsoft.com... > Everytime I try to have a 2 axis column chart the graph columns...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

Too many different cell formats #6

Window Live Support
The Windows Live´┐Ż Solution Center is now available for a Windows Live Essential applications and Live Services. http://windowslivehelp.com/ 24 different categories are now available. Note: Prior links for e-form support will redirect to the above site(afaik...eform is no longer avaialable) -- ...winston ms-mvp mail Most of the posts are being posted in the future. This post was made on January 11 and it was answered today at 10:35 PM. http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=8959fac9-cacd-4ea2-833f-1bc5ec635c4f -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail &q...

Changing Tab Stop Alignment
Has anyone else noticed a problem changing tab the type of tab stop in the tab box in the corner where the rulers meet? My mouse is not changing to let me click through from one tab type to the next. All I get is a diagonal double-ended arrow and a message about double clicking to shift-drag the ruler to another location. Things are not working much better when I try to adjust margins in the ruler area, either. This is a problem in Publisher 2003-- never had this problem in previous versions. Any help or explantion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. It is a bug... The corner tab sett...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

Use Edit HTML Code Fragment to create link
Hi, I would like to use a .jpg as an anchor for a "return to top of page" bookmark. I have the code and it works, except that I have to use an absolute URL for the image. I need to use a relative URL as this webpage will be published on more that one server. In the img src= "Picture.gif" part of the code I have to use an absolute URL or the image will not show. Is there a way around this? This is what the directions on the MS website say to do. (I had to manipulate the directions a bit to make the .jpg the anchor as opposed to the link.) <a href="#addi...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

display on first occurrence of a change in the value
How can I have a report display a text message upon the first occurence of a change in the value of a field in the underlying table? In other words, the field in this table has the same value for many records in a row, but all of a sudden that can change and I want to alert the report reader once that subsequent records are now reflecting these changed values. What I think I need is some kind of switch that changes from say 0 to 1 when that first change happens. Thanks. Alan adgon, Use the Hide Duplicates propety set to Yes. Only the first instance of each value will display. --...

changing settings: comma into point
hi there! currently, my excel is set to have a comma as a delimiter. a is want to copy-paste point-delimited data into excel, i have t change the excel-settings i guess? does anybody know where i can fin this option? denni ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Dennis, > hi there! currently, my excel is set to have a comma as a delimiter. as > is want to copy-paste point-delimited data into excel, i have to > change the excel-settings i guess? doe...

Money's database format
I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor (can't do much else with them). The first thing in the file's header was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states this. Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM Database" with that. I saved it and now Access didn't complain about unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just means they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight int...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

Change Default View for Advanced Find Results? (OL 2003)
I'll pose the brief question first. If you know the answer to it, there is no need to read the background (and many thanks in advance!). The question: Is there a way to configure Outlook 2003 Advanced Find so that the results always come up with a user pre-defined view (set of fields) rather than Advanced Find results' default columns? (Or, better yet, is there a way to permanently reset standard Find to search only From and Subect instead of fulltext?) Background: I liked the fact that standard Find in OL 97 defaulted to searching >From and Subject...took less time than fulltex...