Cell Ammendments

Hi,
Probably really simple.
I have a list of approx 5000+ dates and times that I need to do some
trend analysis on.
However, thr format is:

"dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"

I want to be able to basically keep the "dd/mm/yyyy " content and scrap
the time.
i can edit the format, but it is only asthetic and doesn't acctually
alter the data.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steve

Use the TRUNC function in another column to remove the time portion.  E.g,

=TRUNC(A1)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"sbremner" <sbremner.ws9wy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> Probably really simple.
> I have a list of approx 5000+ dates and times that I need to do some
> trend analysis on.
> However, thr format is:
>
> "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"
>
> I want to be able to basically keep the "dd/mm/yyyy " content and scrap
> the time.
> i can edit the format, but it is only asthetic and doesn't acctually
> alter the data.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

chip1 (1821)

Need data result in last cell of array that contains blank cells
Example: A1=200 B1=300 C1=400 D1=[blank] E1=[blank] F1=[blank] G1=(last cell from above that contains data...i.e. C1) I'm a bit of an Excel novice so could really use a little help. Thanks! Assuming that range will only contain numbers, try something like this: =LOOKUP(10^99,A1:F1) or...if you want to avoid an error when there are no numbers: =IF(COUNT(A1:F1),LOOKUP(10^99,A1:F1),"") Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2003, WinXP "smesurfer" wrote: > Example: > > A1=200 > B1=300 > C1=400 >...

How do i extract worksheet cells with the same contents?
Office Pro Microsoft Excel . I import three separate lists into one worksheet and want to extract only cells with similar contents to a separate worksheet. Define "similar". If it is "the same" and those entries are in the same column, then you could use data --> autofilter on that column and copy the rows left in view to the other worksheet. "doncuba" wrote: > Office Pro Microsoft Excel . I import three separate lists into one worksheet > and want to extract only cells with similar contents to a separate worksheet. ...

Cell reference
For example, I know I can refer to another worksheet in a cell formula as such: =Data!C6 However, Is there a way to refer to the name of the sheet based on the name of the sheet being a variable (ie. the contents of another cell?) THanks Matt Lawson Hi =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!C6) where A1 stores your sheet name "Matt Lawson" wrote: > For example, I know I can refer to another worksheet in a cell formula as such: > =Data!C6 > > However, Is there a way to refer to the name of the sheet based on the name > of the sheet being a var...

Pictures within a cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have created a list of the items in a collection of mine. I have 'drag &amp; dropped' a picture of each of these items to a cell in a single column. <br><br>When viewing the picture properties, the option to &quot;move and size with cell&quot; is selected. However, if I select the sheet and sort by any column header, the pictures stay in their original position while the data in the surrounding columns re-orders according to the sort criteria. <br><br>I would appreciate any advice a...

Keep adding to one cell to carry a total in another
Hi I want to be able to use one cell to keep adding new numbers to that will accumulate the total in another cell. Ex: I use A1 as the cell to input a new number that will carry a total in A2 any help would be appreciated Try this in the sheet module. Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next If Target <> Range("A1") Then Range("A1").Select Exit Sub End If Application.EnableEvents = False Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("A2").Value Target.Select Application.Enabl...

Can Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Yes, of course. B1 contains this formula: =IF(A1=1,5,6) On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:03:02 -0800, "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Example: > >If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 >should be 6. > >A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? ...

Finding the rightmost occupied cell
If I have a range of cells across a row, where only some of the cells on the left of the range are occupied, is there a way I could extract the value in the rightmost of the occupied cells (Excel 2003)? -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) If your data is in A19:N19, for example: =LOOKUP(2,1/(A19:N19<>""),A19:N19) Yes, I know it looks odd, but it works. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Paul Hyett" <vidcapper@invalid83261.co.uk> wrote in message news:XNB8JtTJZ8NKFwYx@blueyonder.co.uk... > If I have a range of...

Copy actual URL from hyperlink cell
I have a spreadsheet with thousands of records. One column contains hyperlinks either created manually using the Insert->Hyperlink action or via a =HYPERLINK() dynamic formula. I need to return the URL for the cyperlink column into another column so that I can use it for some other purpose. The new cells would simply contain text like http://website/folder/file.htm. I couldn't find a function that returned the URL, so I'm wondering if there is another way to get the info? A macro possibly? Thanks for your help IAN Ian Not sure if I understand, but the code below will iterat...

Formula Cell Error
Hi all, i have a problem with the following code, would appreciate if anyone can give me some help on this. Basically everything works fine except for this line: Cells(i, 12).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(J" & StartCount & ":J" & EndCount & ")" The cell will reflect "=SUM('J2':'J3')" instead of "=SUM(J2:J3)". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub Test() For i = 2 To 100 Step 1 Cells(i, 1).Select If Cells(i, 1).Interior.ColorI...

I need to count cells with conditional format
Hi, I have a table with cells that have conditional formats. If one condition is met then that cell become red. Not all cells are red on a column. I want to count only the red cells on that column. Is it possible? Thx. -- FlorianG Have you tried the COUNTIF function, using the same criteria set in the conditional formatting? Otherwise, the only way I know of to count red cells is through a macro. Simon Shaw www.accounttech.ca "Florian" wrote: > Hi, I have a table with cells that have conditional formats. > If one condition is met then that cell become red. Not all cells...

Tabbing from cell to cell
When I press the tab key in a brand new worksheet the cursor moves from A1 to L1 then to W1...anyone? Thanks! Connie An effect similar to the one you describe can occur if the "Transition navigation keys" checkbox is active. Goto Tools>Options>Transition and see if the box is checked "ConnieF" wrote: > When I press the tab key in a brand new worksheet the cursor moves from A1 to > L1 then to W1...anyone? > Thanks! > Connie ...

Modifying UnProtected Cells
I have a user who Is using Excel XP. SHe has created a workbook with Some Protected cells. She emails to another user who is using Excel 2000 - this user is unable to modify any cells. The error states that the cells are all protected. A user that has Excel XP or 2003 is able to modify the unprotected cells. I have installed all the updates to Office 2000 - any other suggestions? THanks in advance! Gladys: Likely the cells aren't being protected/unprotected properly. Cells are protected by default. Check this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cell_locking_in_microsoft_excel.htm *...

How to copy specific number of rows from cells to cells?
There is a given number in cell U1, which equals to 9, so I would like to copy 9 cells starting from cell V3, which should copy from V3 to V11 and paste text only into A3 to A11. If the given number in cell U1 is 6, then I would like to copy 6 cells starting from cell V3, which should copy from V3 to V11 and paste text only into A3 to A8. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code this macro in excel 2003? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric Try.. Range("V3").Resize(Range("U1").Value).Copy Range("A3") -- Jacob (MVP -...

Check if content in cell is an integer
How do I check if the content in a cell, when divided by 4, returns an integer? It should give me 150 if it is an integer and display "NA" if it is not an integer. For example, the formula should check if the content A2 divided by 4 is an integer and display the necessary answer in cell C2. Hopefully the formula can be use to check any corresponding cell in this manner. I.E check if content in cell A3 when divided by 4 is an integer and display the necessary in cell C3, check if content in cell A4 when divided by 4 is an integer and diaplay the necessary in cell C4 and so on...

can i somehow put two cells into one column or split a column
Data>text to columns to split =A1&B1 in a third cell with concatenate 2 (or more) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Chrono" <Chrono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E211310C-11BC-423A-92AF-5F0863940E4D@microsoft.com... > ...

Formatting Cell Comments
Is there a way to pre-format cell comments? I am using Excel 2000 & 2003 and I'm looking for some sort of option t set the format of cell comments so I don't have to go into each an every comment and format it. And I'm not looking to use a macro for this (via PERSONAL.xl workbook). Is there a way to do this? Thank -- malik64 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2419 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39622 Cell Comme...

round off a cell
I have cells that contain times. Is there a way to format the cell to round the time to the nearest 15 minutes? Mike Hi Mike try =ROUND(A1*4*24,0)/(4*24) Frank Mike wrote: > I have cells that contain times. Is there a way to format the cell > to round the time to the nearest 15 minutes? > > Mike ...

subtracting 2 cells but only if 1st cell is greater than 0
In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is , or = to 0, in which case, I would like e11 to be 0. i have tried severeral =if and sumif formulas and can't get anything to work. Any suggestions? hi if i understand your post, you want c11 subtracted from d11 if c11 is greater than or equal to 0 otherwize 0. try this..... =IF(OR(C11>0,C11=0),D11-C11,0) post back if i misunderstood. Regards FSt1 "Maureen" wrote: > In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is > , or = to 0, in which case...

Generating an RGB color spectrum based on cell values (XL03)
I have a (26 x 60+) grid of values . I need to be able to visually identify repeat values, so I'm looping through the cells and assigning a color based on the value. To be as efficient as possible, I decided to use the cell value to drive the color code directly; I don't care what number gets what color, as long as adjacent numbers don't get the same (or similar) color. The grid values range from 1 to 80 (integers). Adjacent cells are very likely to have adjacent values (e.g. 1 and 2, 2, and 3) up to a spread of about 4 (or so) at one corner of the grid. A ...

Copy cell formula returns zero instead of cell value
Excel 2007: Example Sheet1 - Cell A1 =3D ABC123 (formatted General) Sheet2 - Cell B2 has formula =3D'Sheet1'!A1 (formatted General) The result of the formula in B2 is 0 instead of ABC123. I've tried changin= g the format of both the source cell and the destination cell with no succe= ss. The result is either 0 or the formula string "=3D'Sheet1'!A1". This s= hould be so simple. I've been using Excel for decades and have never had t= his problem. What am I doing wrong?! Thanks in advance for your help. In 2007 ABC123 is a cell reference. Are you sure yo...

Can you apply split colour formatting to the same cell?
Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up the cell background. Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing 'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in orange, but wan...

How to automatically move to a new cell...
....After data is entered. Hi, This seems one of the most helpful and friendly groups available. If anyone can help, I'll be grateful. Current method: We have a device that measures color density of printed patterns. It automatically exports its data (with a return) to an Excel cell and moves to the cell below it. The sheet is set up so that data is entered in five cells in a column and the 6th cell averages the five entries. The user must then manually arrow up to the top of the next column. Arrowing right and up four may not sound like a big deal but the user may sample a hundred spots...

Locking specific cells
HI i posted a query already - please ignore that. In a data entry sheet column b has dates and B3 has specific date i like to lock adjacent cells in columns F,G & H if the date in column B is not date in B3 (criteria) further should not allow to delete anyrow when there is value in cells of F,G & H columns. if there is no value then those can be deleted. sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) if cell(b column) = $B$3 then activesheet.unprotect ="hi" cell.("F"&row).locked = false cell.("G"&row).locked = false cell.(&qu...

Why can't I see all the text in a cell?
I am entering text into a cell. It is a rather large string of sentences. I can not view the entire content of the cell unless I strike F2 to edit. I have tried to auto fit the row, but that does not work either. The text is not able to be viewed in Print preview, nor does it show in hard copy. Any ideas? This is in the help file:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. "woody" wrote: > I am entering text into a cell. It is a rather large string of sentences. I > can not view the e...

cell border on each cell
Hi How do I put an outside border on each cell? I've got a large list on a spreadsheet, so I want to make it more easier on the eyes to view this. thanks Jenna Select a bunch of cells. Format>Cells>Borders. Hit the Outline button and the cross button on top row of options. My personal opinion is that borders do nothing but make a sheet more difficult to read> Gets too busy. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:47:01 -0800, "Jenna" <Jenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi >How do I put an outside border on each cell? I've got a...