Category counting

Hi again, sorry for all my newbie challenged-ness. You guys have been
great help so far, I feel bad for constantly asking. I'm still in th
stages of brainstorming, but I have three sheets:

Sheet 1 has essentially two things: A column of text called "Codes" an
many columns of categories. Essentially, the worksheet puts an "x" nex
to the "category" that a "Code" is associated with. Each code i
associated with only 1 category. Ex.

Code
-------------------

  Code-------Mammal----------Fish----------Reptile
  Snake                                                        x
  Dog               x
  Cat                x

  etc...

-------------------

In another sheet, I have a list of data for a month, with one of th
columns being "Codes". Ex:

Code
-------------------

  Date--------------Animal---------------Code
  3/4/04                  yes                      Dog
  3/5/06                   yes                     Goldfish

  etc...

-------------------

On my final worksheet, I have a list of categories, and I want to coun
the number of each type I had from the second sheet (Monthly dat
sheet). So ex:

Code
-------------------

  # of Mammals      1
  # of Fish              1
  # of Reptiles        0

-------------------

Can this be done? I'm still brainstorming, haven't done much with it
but could use some creative thoughts to guide me along the way. Sound
like it's possible. Thanks in advance

Where is the number of the codes on the second, monthly sheet?
Your example only shows "Yes".
Does "Yes" mean one (1) code?
If you have 2 codes in one day, how is that depicted?
"yes - yes".

What are you using to total the codes from the first sheet, that transfers
the data to the second sheet?
--

Regards,

RD

"Nornny >" <<Nornny.17a8v2@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
Hi again, sorry for all my newbie challenged-ness. You guys have been a
great help so far, I feel bad for constantly asking. I'm still in the
stages of brainstorming, but I have three sheets:

Sheet 1 has essentially two things: A column of text called "Codes" and
many columns of categories. Essentially, the worksheet puts an "x" next
to the "category" that a "Code" is associated with. Each code is
associated with only 1 category. Ex.

Code:
--------------------

  Code-------Mammal----------Fish----------Reptile
  Snake                                                        x
  Dog               x
  Cat                x

  etc...

--------------------

In another sheet, I have a list of data for a month, with one of the
columns being "Codes". Ex:

Code:
--------------------

  Date--------------Animal---------------Code
  3/4/04                  yes                      Dog
  3/5/06                   yes                     Goldfish

  etc...

--------------------

On my final worksheet, I have a list of categories, and I want to count
the number of each type I had from the second sheet (Monthly data
sheet). So ex:

Code:
--------------------

  # of Mammals      1
  # of Fish              1
  # of Reptiles        0

--------------------

Can this be done? I'm still brainstorming, haven't done much with it,
but could use some creative thoughts to guide me along the way. Sounds
like it's possible. Thanks in advance!

---

ragdyer1 (4060)
6/3/2004 5:38:10 PM
Sorry the tables got kinda messed up. It's a bad habit of mine to never
preview a post. lol.

Date--------------Animal---------------Code
3/4/04----------- yes -------------------Dog
3/5/06 -----------yes---------------- Goldfish

Don't mind the Animal column or the date column, they are just examples
of the data properties. I'm looking solely at the code. There is no
counting on the second sheet, just the instances. I want to count the
instances of "Mammal" for example from this sheet in my third sheet
using the codes that ARE mammals in the first sheet. So my first sheet
is like the reference guide. If the second sheet has dog, cat, monkey,
etc..., I want it to be a count towards the mammal category. :) Hope
this helps.

---

Money 2005
I have used Money 2003 for 2 years now. I did not use ANY of the online features nor did I have a .NET Passport. I just purchased Money 2005. I took my existing .mny file and converted it for use in Money 2005. I enabled my checking account (from US Bank) to use online services. NOT ONLY did 2005 create a brand new duplicate account with my recent activity in it (see my other posting), BUT it also duplicated most of my existing budget categories too. For example, I had an existing category called "Day Care". Now I have two of them: "Day Care" and "Day Car...

Calendar invites with Personal Categories
Hi, I am trying to figure out if it is possible for one to send out calendar invites and have the invitee have the color categories that I set on the meeting/appointment shown on their end. It would be a really helpful feature to have access to. I have tried a registry edit shown in another post on the newsgroup, but that did not seem to work for me. Are there any other possible solutions to make this work? Thanks, agdonald The invitee must have the same category with the same color in his master category list. Those categories are stored in the default calendar, there...

Why does money 2005 have multiple categories for the same thing?And why does it keep spliting the food categories apart on me?
Take rent for example they have it in 2 places. On a side not why is food no longer have subcategories. The stupid restore categories breaks the food categories back apart even when explicitly place the subcategories before I do that. Its annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes it is. I'm not sure what all of the reasons are for this, but trying to eliminate subcategories to support the "Essential" "Less Typing" "Effortless way" seems part of the answer. Why it had to mangle existing data to do this is still a mystery. See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q...

accounts category
Hi, I create some new accounts category and link them to range of accounts ,but when I try to use them in frx reports I couldn`t find them ,any help? Hi Bob, First, I presume you are using the FRx report mode that is designed to view quantities. I would rebuild the GL account index in FRx. You can delete any ..g32 files from FRx and the indexes will be rebuilt. Please let us know if this doesn't solve the problem. Kind regards, Leslie "BOB" wrote: > Hi, > I create some new accounts category and link them to range of accounts ,but > when I ...

Category and Subcategory in the same field ><
In M2004 Register Category and Subcategory can have different field, but in M2005 Category and Subcategory , they in the same field. Where can I comfig it to split Category and subcategory in different fields. thanks See http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q161 -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifica...

Count #10
Hi, I am trying to copy Heading and rows to new worksheet for each employee id in new worksheet with worksheet name to be apper with employeeid. Example: Employee ID Employee Name Amount 9100 John 15.00 9100 John 25.99 9200 Marc 14.99 Needs to create 2 worksheet based on above example, with information to be copied to new wokrsheet for that employee only. Also in new worksheet need to add column to count the number of record. Employee ID Employee Nam...

Highlighting tasks with specific Category and grouping by Category
Hi, I am having troubles highlighting tasks that contain a specific Category in Tasks view that groups tasks by Category, for tasks that have multiple categories. HERE IS THE IDEA: I am organizing my tasks by category. Tasks can have multiple categories. I separate them by @Context type tags and Project type tasks, such that my task can have Category="@Work, ProjectX". In the view view window I sort tasks by category. So, tags that have > 1, will appear in multiple categories. Each project will have a number of tasks, but only a few will have @ type of context cate...

Categories and Sub-Categories
In Money 2004, when inputing a transaction, I was able to tab/view thourgh a category and sub-category box with ease. I was able to set it up via tools, now in 2005, I can not. Does anyone know how to change the view in the account registor so I can view both Category and sub category when inputing transaction so I don't have to deal with the drop down menu? For better clarity, it inputting Payto, Category, split, Job expenses and meno. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC474924-4407-4FAE-BCD8-...

2005 printing the Tax Category Manager report
I desperatly need to print a report that shows line by line the category to tax form associations. Basically what the Tax Category Manager page shows... Yet I can't find any way of doing this. Using money 2005 SB. Thanks, Cameron In microsoft.public.money, Cameron wrote: >I desperatly need to print a report that >shows line by line the category to tax form associations. >Basically what the Tax Category Manager page shows... >Yet I can't find any way of doing this. >Using money 2005 SB. If you would like to print an image of the page, you can position things as you wa...

Loan payment category issue
Hi there, In Money2006 (UK), the mortgage loan payment has been categorised as a payslip (with the principle and interest listed under wages - deductables fields are blank). The total amount paid to the loan is listed correctly in the total and the payment is correctly linked to the mortgage account. However, the bill payment seems to be reverse - under the bill payment, it is recorded as a negative deposit into the linked current account. If I try and edit the bill series so the category is assigned as a loan payment, M2006 asks if I really want to change this to a loan payment and ...

Department, Category and Sub Category?
Hi I am just wondering if there is a way round to having sub category in RMS. Example : Department > CPU Category> Intel Sub Category> L775a Chipset At the moment I am using Sub Description 1 etc ..but its not very helpful when searching for the product as the Item Lookup screen doesn not show the department nor the category nor sub description 1 column to search for products! Please if any one has a way round it please do let me know regards Shiri Jnr Dushayant Dhar wrote: > Hi I am just wondering if there is a way round to having sub category in RMS. RMS not have Sub...

Reports By Category Groups rather than Category
I have many categories such as "Gas" that are under category "groups" such as "Automobile". I want to view expenses by these groups rather than the too granular categories. Know how I can do this? Do I have to instead create sub categories under the main Automobile category? thanks In microsoft.public.money, ryan wrote: >I have many categories such as "Gas" that are under category "groups" such as >"Automobile". Call those higher level things Categories, and the subset things "subcategories". >I want to v...

Prog-created categories don't appear in the Master Category List... but can't be added because they exist.
Hello, We're migrating from another mail system to Exchange and a lot of our users have distribution lists in their personal address books. Our own migration utility is migrating the distribution lists using categories. It works fine; for each group it creates the individual contacts and a category, then assigns the contacts to the category. However there's one problem: the new category doesn't appear in the Master Category List. And when we try to create it manually, Outlook says that we can't because it already exists. Anyone know of a solution or workaround please? We...

formula needed for counting months #3
the formula that I ended up with seems to work was: =sumproduct(--(month(a1:a100)=1,--year(a1:a100)=2004)) this formula did not count blanks for whatever reason. Thanks agai -- Shocke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shocked's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31435 "Shocked" <Shocked.1fx5oo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote > > the formula that I ended up with seems to work was: > =sumproduct(--(month(a1:a100)=1,--y...

Categories
I have a number of questions regarding Outlook Tasks. Recently our server died and when the new server was installed and we loaded our Outlook 2007 for each staff member, our tasks no longer had the colours allocated to each task category. We are using XP on most computers and some with Vista. 1. Is there a way to reinstall Outlook and keep all the task colours with categories for each staff member when loading from a backup? My staff (11 staff) use Tasking to interact with each other to keep track of work in progress. Prior to our computers going down, all staff could access ea...

How do t get a cell to count it's self as .5?
how do make a cell count it's self as 1/2 or .5 as when i use the count if function it always count as 1 On Sun, 9 May 2004 05:11:01 -0700, "plantman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do make a cell count it's self as 1/2 or .5 as when i use the count if function it always count as 1 =COUNTIF(A:A,"criteria")/2 --ron ...

problem with budget categories
Some time ago I set up a budget and it is tracking all of my spending categories. Today, I tried to set up bill and deposits. I don't pay bills through money, but I wanted to be able to see upcoming bill without loggin on to my bank website. When setting up my first bill and entering the spending the category, money gave this message. "The category you have selected for this bill is not currently part of your budget. Do you want money to add the category so that your budget will include this bill?" I knew this subcategory is included in my budget, for I see it each time I...

count if #4
=COUNTIF(B4:B17,"X") this works great with X, but I would like to include L and V in this formula. How would I do this??? Thanks You could do the brute force version: =COUNTIF(B4:B17,"X")+COUNTIF(B4:B17,"L")+COUNTIF(B4:B17,"V") or you could use something like: =SUM(COUNTIF(B4:B17,{"X","L","V"})) This is an array formula. Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter. If you do it correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula. (don't type them yourself.) Kevin wrote: > > =COUNTIF(B4:B17,"...

Sharing Categories in your Public Categories with Other Users.
Is their any way that you can share the Category information that you've tagged a certain contact information and other users on your network can see that category you've assigned it (since it's in a public folder) For instance, we have a public folder which has a list of our contacts, we want to categorize them since their is a vast number of them and it's become unmanageable. If I click on the contact and assign it a category, it seems that I can only see the category that i've assigned it on my workstation, but i can't see what I assigned it on my colleagues comput...

Named vs. Colored Categories in OL2007 Contacts
Using Outlook 2007 (on a Vista 64b Home Prem box if it matters - don't see why it would but who knows.) When I bought the box (year ago +/-) I also got Office Home & Student 2007 and Outlook 2007. I was able to bring over my mail stuff from an XP box running OE and OL'98. I can use my separate .pst files and my Contacts came over such that I believe I haven't lost any. I've been using my Office Setup for the year and haven't had any "major" complaints - except now I've finally decided to ask about one that has always been bothersome. Spe...

Customizing Microsoft Categories
Is there a registry key setting that will disable the ability for users to remove category tags once applied to a message? I've located the GPO settings which provide a basic facility to customize the category properties in Outlook, but I haven't been able to identify more granular settings to allow for finer control of the category capability. Thanks in advance for your help - What version of Outlook? AFAIK, that is not possible in any version. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http...

Changing category names makes blank categories.
I went into SQL and changed some existing category names and consolidated them into a fewer names. Now, graph/reports (Shift-F6 from POS) which is the same as Daily Sale Report in Manager, have those items with a blank category. When I look up items individually, those items have the changed category. Somehow, for the sold products, the change of category id is not reflected. Which SQL table should I go into to change this? DailySales i think is where that info comes from if I'm not mistaken. The old ID values are still there and could cause that. Herb "mas" <mas@di...

Can I count the number of cells that contain data?
Hi all, I am creating a spreadsheet that is a chart and each day I track an item and enter a date. Can I just count the number of cells contain dates...I am not interested in calculation of contents or averages. All that I care is that excel can see that I have entered data in that cell or row and it counts it as one and keeps a running total. So, if I have data entered in 5 cells in a particular row, it will give me a running count of how many cells have the data, in this case 5, and show that number at the top of my sheet somewhere that I can see it easily. Thanks in advance! Hi try =CO...

Color Category in a Public Calendar
Hi. i am using Office 2007 and have several public Calendars. I have color categories for my personal calendar. I would like to have different color catagories for a public calendar and be the same for everyone else when they use that calendar. How do I set that up, any help or sugeestions would be great. Thanks. The colors of categories available to the public folder is per user - whatever is in each persons mailbox. The categories will be on the appointments, but they won't be in each persons master list. See http://vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en&cmd=detail...

Re: Re: Counting Occurrences with 2 columns
Suppose your data is in Sheet1 in A2:C6 > Red 4 Read > Blue 5 Not Read > Green 6 Read > Yellow 2 Read > Red 3 Not Read Try this set-up in a new sheet, say Sheet2 ------------- List down in A2:A5 the names: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Put across in B2:C2 the phrases: Read, Not Read Put in B2: =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$6=$A2)*(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$6=B$1)*(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$6) ) Copy B2 across to C2, then copy down to C5 [Note that the ranges used in SUMPRODUCT have to be similar and you can't use entire columns e.g.: A:A, B:B, C:C]...