Cant apply format currency to a cell.

I copy, pasted the Access's querry result into excel. I
can format one of the columns into currency. Even after I
do there is no change.

Please help.

If you copy from Access 2002 and paste into Excel, the numbers are
pasted in as text. You'll have to change them back to numbers before you
can format them:

1. Select an empty cell on the worksheet
2. Choose Edit>Copy
3. Select the cells that you pasted from Access
4. Choose Edit>Paste Special
5. Select Add, click OK

If you do this frequently, you can use a macro to convert the numbers. I
use this one (written by Jon Peltier):

Sub ConvertToNumbers()
   Cells(65535, 255).Copy
   Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, _
       Operation:=xlPasteSpecialOperationAdd
End Sub

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd (439)

sum cells to reach a specific value and return corresponding value
Hi, I have a csv table that has data for delivery drops. If there is more than one item to be delivered on one drop the there is a total in one row and then the rows below have the number of items and a product code. i.e. 5 = Total Items 4 = 4 units product 'a' 1 = 1 unit of product 'b' the formula needs to recognise that if there are a total of 5 items it will count the number of rows below to tally a total of 5 and then merge the product codes and descriptions in one cell using the CONCATENATE FORMULA - is there an 'if' or a 'sum' func...

Cant delete any messages
Hi! My friend at work has a weird problem recently he can't delete any messages in Outlook Express the delete button doesn't work so does not the right mouse button menu delete option. When d&d the files theres a error that says "An error occurred" He works on a normal user account. Any ideas? Have your friend post in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Tell him/her to include the version of OE, the exact error message, and any other pertinent details. Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook are not the same e-mail client, nor are they related in spite of the similarity of ...

Changing a cells format
I had some one type in some data for me and when I got it the cell box has a Little green triangle in the top left hand corner- I assume that this means it is a text format. If double click on each cell it changes the format so I can do Sum etc. But we are talking a lot of Data- Is there a way I can select the column and change the format? Or do I have to use a formula in another column? -- Let go, Elevate your life Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Hi Brent click in an unused cell (maybe even on another worksheet) and choose copy now select the column(s) that you need to change...

conditional formating of adjacent cells
I would like to change the colour of a cell if certain conditions i other cells are met, eg if cell a1="Sold" and b1>1000 and c1="horses then can we change cell d1 to the colour blue (without changing th text in d1). I would like to do this for a long list down th worksheet. Thanks in advance Nige -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use formula is =AND(A1="sold",B1>100,C1="horses") select pattern and use the format painter to copy down or select a range of cells with D1 as the active cell and then put in the conditional formatting...

Inbox gets deleted when i apply patch.
I was using Outlook 5.5 with windows 2000 service pack 2.0, when i upgraded to Outlook 6 with windows service pack 3.0 my INBOX vanished and the size of inbox.dbx was just a few kilobytes. Prior to that my INBOX size was 420 MB. I could never recover it. Again i had the same problem when i upgraded the Mc-Afee antivirus patch. And still i continue to face the same problem whenever i apply patches. Is it the problem with windows. Do we have any fixes for that (or) is that a problem with Mc-Afee Patch. Now i've written a rule that will redirect all the mails to a different fold...

Print format
when copying from one worksheet to another, why doesn't the formatte printing area copy with it? How can I do that -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you're copying a range from one sheet to another, I think excel does a good job in not matching the print range. But if you're creating a new sheet based on an existing sheet, I think you'll find it easier to copy the whole worksheet. Edit|Move or copy sheet|check copy! and copy it where you want it. (You can also control-click on the worksheet tab and drag it where you want it copied.) "Sylvie <&qu...

Need a list of emails suitable for other format
I have a list of emails (48) in one folder. I want to make a listing of these emails and do some other work with it, either in Word or Excel. Ideally this would have the same column headings I use now (From, To, Subject, Sent, Size, maybe 1-2 more). I don't need the body for this purpose, but it would be nice to have a list of attachments (about half the emails have attachments). I found a way to export a list to a CSV file, but it didn't give me the Sent information, making it practically useless. 1. Is there a built-in command that will do what I need? 2. There's probably...

I am trying to print on legal size paper, i cant set size.
I've tried print option to set up 8.5 x 14 paper put it wont hold the setting. Well, it is to do with your printer driver. Are you sure that the printer supports that paper size? Perhaps you can see if there is an updated driver for the printer. Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 14, 2:26=A0pm, Michele <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've tried print option to set up 8.5 x 14 paper put it wont hold the > setting. =A0 ...

Calculating cells blanks
I am trying to write an "IF" formula that calculates when the cell contains info, and when blank refers to another cell for the calculation information. I keep receiving the FALSE message. What am I doing wrong Thanks in advance Hi try something like =IF(A1<>"",your calculation,other cell calculation) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany cootz wrote: > I am trying to write an "IF" formula that calculates when the cell > contains info, and when blank refers to another cell for the > calculation information. I keep receiving the FALSE messag...

cant open file
I have windows vista and microsoft publisher 2007 did my website and now out of nowhere it says cant open file tried everything and is not happening What kind of file are you trying to open? What steps are you taking? What kind of error messages are you getting? Details are important. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "arleen" <arleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B264DC25-1072-4931-B44C-7F481A13DBEE@microsoft.com... >I have windows vista and microsoft publisher 2007 did my w...

protect cells in excel, but also allow a search in those cells?
I need a column protected so it cannot be changed by just anyone, however, when I protect it, I cannot search for an entry in this column Any suggestions on how to use the search feature? -- Linda K When you protect the sheet, allow users to select locked cells. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "LindaAlex" wrote: > I need a column protected so it cannot be changed by just anyone, however, > when I protect it, I cannot search for an entry in this column Any > suggestions on how to use th...

Number format #11
I'm having trouble formatting a number to a number. e.g...... from 16250 to 16,250.00. When I go into format and try to change it, it does not do it? Do I need to do something else? I've tried everything to change the number since I have to type in a formula and it just doesn't do it. You should set the cell format to 'Number' and ensure that the decimal places counter is set to '2'. This ought to change 16250 to 16250.00 Alex >-----Original Message----- >I'm having trouble formatting a number to a number. e.g...... from 16250 to >16,250.0...

Cant get Money to work
when I try to use monwy to set up new account, all I get is "The list is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." This is the second night in a row that it has done this. Did I buy something that does not work???? In microsoft.public.money, Roaddog_tnkr wrote: >when I try to use monwy to set up new account, all I get is "The list is >temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." This is the second night >in a row that it has done this. Did I buy something that does not work???? What did you buy? What are you trying to install it on? On De...

Delete Table row with first cell not empty
Hi, I need a macro to do the following: I have a table like this, starting in row 6. ] ] A B C D E 6] 1 N N N 7] 2 N N N N 8] 3 N N N N 9] 4 10]5 11] 12] 13] etc. 100] Rows 11 to 100 are empty. I want to select area A1:E100 and delete all content from table rows A9:E9 and A10:E10, because these table rows have empty cells from columns B through to E. The rows are marked by an ID number as in numbers 1 to 5 above. When cells in columns B to E are found to be empty, the content of the table row, including the row ID, must be deleted. Note, this is not deleting t...

Replace active cell
HI.. how can i replace ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[-20]<>0,RC[-1]/(RC[-20]/100),RC[-1]/0.94)" such as i dont need to use RC[-20]... i have trapped the columns but how to place them in the above formula.... i tried this ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(L3<>0,L4/(L3/100),L4/0.94)" but it doesnt work.. any suggestion.. Thanks monika Set rng2 = Cells.Find("Location") 'FINDING COLUMN Location L2 = Left(rng2(1).Address(0, 0), 1 - (rng2(1).Column > 26)) Set rng3 = Cells.Find("Test_Yield") 'FINDING COLUMN Test_Yield ...

Formatting Phone Numbers in a Merged Cells...
If I want to merge a "Company Name", "Phone Number" and a "Fax" number into 1 cell (for use in a drop down box), is there a way to maintain the 10 digit format for the phone/fax numbers? The phone/fax #'s appear as a string of 10 digits when they are merged, and are hard to read. Currently using a formula like this: =A3&" Phone: "&B3&" Fax: "&C3 I am tired of trying to get it to work, and can't seem to find the answer here. Thank you in advance! One way: =A3 & TEXT(B3,""" Phone:...

Copy Cell or Column without advancing formula reference?
I have a spreadsheet with formulas referring to another worksheet. I need to copy the columns however, each time I do, the formulas advance to another cell. Which is an incorrect reference, skewing my results. You need to modify the formulas to use absolute references. Edit each of the cell addresses in the formula and put $ (dollar signs) in front of the column letters. "sgluntz" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with formulas referring to another worksheet. I need to > copy the columns however, each time I do, the formulas advance to another > cell. Which is an...

Conditional Formating with a formula
I have a cell that has a formula to VLOOKUP another sheet. I want to conditional format the cell to turn yellow when no value is returned. If the VLOOKUP has no value returned on the cell #N/A appears. I tried to say in the conditional format when cell = #N/A turn yellow but it does not work I am thinking it doesn't work because of it being a formual and #N/A is not a true returned value. Thanks You can use the ISNA() function to test for that. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "ssciarrino" <...

Internal Error Applying Updates
Using PS 2007 SP2 Aug, 2009 CU (i think) Twice now my schedule has stopped acceptiong updates from resources and the Updates page shows the following error "There was an internal error applying the update" The first time I restored an earlier version from the archive and manually updates the missing updates and the updates began to work again. This time I have again restored and earlier version however it still is not updating from PWA. Any help much appreciated Darrell When did you applied the CU. I have seen similar issue with another client of mine two...

Lose formatting in listbox
We have a listbox with several columns that populate when the form loads. One column has a yes/no data type and it gets its value from a check box. The list has always read "Yes" or "No", but now it's listing the -1 or the 0. I changed the field's format from true/false to yes/no, but that had no effect. I also tried formatting the row source using "Iif" (ColumnName: iif([Field], "Yes", "No"), but that had no effect. The data sits on a 2000 Server, the clients have XP w/Office 2003. The machines were put in production 5 months a...

AUtomatically hiding a row when a certain cell is blank
Hi there, I have a table which shows the languages spoken by children in our school. In column B are all the possible languages, Column C shows the number of chidlren who speak that particular language. WHen I break this down into class, there are some rows which have a blank cell under the number of chidlren who speak that language. I would like to be able to automatically hide any row that has that particular cell as a blank. Is it possible? choose a cell you would like to hide. choose "conditional formatting" in the format menu. choose "formula is" type: =isbl...

from exchange machine i cant telnet to 25
all machine on customer lan are connecting to exchange server to post mail. when logged into the exchange server i launch cmd prompt and "telnet 192.168.0.10 25" and cant connect to smtp service (i.e from machine that host SMTP so network routing not involved) - netstat -na shows me port 25 is listening - simple mail transfer protocol is running as a service - sending mail via outlook on this server works and also show me a log on my exchange server that it coming from this servers public ip - default smtp virtual server, outbound security set at ANON. - default smtp virtua...

How can I stop format change when copying data into unlocked cells
How can I stop the format changing when I copy data into an unlocked cell in a format protected worksheet? I need to allow people to both enter data or copy data from another source into cells so I have unlocked these cells but also don't want the format of the cells to be changed. If you enter data directly the format does not change but if you copy and paste data it changes the format. I know you can use "copy paste special values" but would like to know if there is some system way of doing this. Copy/paste this into the sheet module. Right-click on sheet ...

emailed docs coming back in different format
If I create an Excel spreadsheet and email it to another user, the spreadsheet will get emailed back in a different format. The user isn't making any changes to the doc, most of the time he isn't even opening it, only forwarding it. Is there any way of preventing a format change to the document as it passes from one computer to another? ...

Apply computer setting take long time
Hi, I run SBS 2008. I reboot the server and it hangs on "apply computer settings" and can't get to log on screen. I didn't disable IPv6. DNS is correct. I reboot a few times earlier, no problem. Before I reboot, I was tried to install security updates, however it failed. When I selected restart, (I didn't select install updates), but the computer tried to install updates before restart, I forced to shut it down, now it hangs in Apply computer settings. What should I do now? Need help! Thanks in advance! Lisa can you try selecting last good co...