Cannot double click an excel file and open it.

Hi

When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a
grey screen.  If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine.
If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and
I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified.
If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click
on it, it launches as it would normaly.

I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel.
I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but
unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded
the file into it.
I have also done a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office.  In
tools about the version is Excel 2002 10.2614.2625

Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Lee
0
leesjunk (1)

Tools options general uncheck ignore other applications

"Lee" <leesjunk@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a
> grey screen.  If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine.
> If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and
> I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified.
> If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click
> on it, it launches as it would normaly.
>
> I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel.
> I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but
> unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded
> the file into it.
> I have also done a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office.  In
> tools about the version is Excel 2002 10.2614.2625
>
> Hope someone can help.
> Thanks in advance
> Lee

0
nohow (37)
7/16/2003 5:23:51 PM
I dont understand the setting either but it seems to control something!

> > Tools options general uncheck ignore other applications
> >
> > "Lee" <leesjunk@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a
> > > grey screen.  If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine.
> > > If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and
> > > I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified.
> > > If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click
> > > on it, it launches as it would normaly.
> > >
> > > I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel.
> > > I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but
> > > unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded
> > > the file into it.
> > > I have also done a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office.  In
> > > tools about the version is Excel 2002 10.2614.2625
> > >
> > > Hope someone can help.
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Lee

0
nohow (37)
7/17/2003 2:26:08 PM
Hi Gail & Lee!

Re:
"Ignore other applications"

This setting allows the rarely need cases where you want multiple
Excel versions of Excel to open each time that you open an xls file
from Explorer.

I never use it but I'm sure that there are uses. More often than not
is a PITA.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)

double quotes
Hello, Because of limitations in my finance program, I'll periodically export the data to a text file, import the text file to Excel, where I manipulate the data as required. I then reverse the steps, saving the Excel file as text, then import the new text file back to my finance program. It all works Ok except for one thing - the amounts are stored in the program with a T in front, e.g., 100.00 would be T100.00. The problem is with larger amounts that involve a comma, such as 1,000.00 which would be T1,000.00. Excel insists on saving it with double quotes around it, "T1,000.00&q...

Excel
I'm trying to create a "drop down list" but don't know how to validate, define and/or create a source box. Trying to follow the instructions using the "help" featur, but I'm still confused. Thanks! Go to Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html And scroll down to the D's, and there is an entire collection of pages on Data Validation which will show you how to create and manage drop-down boxes using that function. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all corre...

Page not found error when opening business portal
Hi We're trying to install Invoice Approvals and Accruals 8.0, sharepoint services sp2 and Business Portal 2.5 Feature Pack to work with Great Plains 8.0 We can install Sharepoint services and Invoice Approvals and Accruals ok and they work fine However, when we install Business Portal and browse to http://servername/sites/businessportal/ We receive a "page not found" error screen We've tried several things but nothing seems to work Sharepoint services is installed in server farm mode and has been configured correctly (as far as I can tell) Any help would be great...

excel templates #5
Please can someone tell me where I can find a 32 person knockout tournament excel template ...

PC .doc file crashes word (Snow leopard)

Excel .olb?
Hi, I'm trying to get VC++ to create an Excel file, and was told that part of it would be getting the type library out of the Excel?.olb file. Unfortunately, I cannot find this file on my system (I installed and re-installed Excel). When I dug through my system, I found the following .olb files: VBAEN32.OLB VBAEND32.OLB VEN2232.OLB XL5EN32.OLB (Office10 & Office11) MSACC.OLB MSOUTL.OLB MSPPT.OLB MSWORD.OLB DTE.OLB VSEXT.OLB VBE6EXT.OLB No Excel*.olb, so I tried XL5EN32.OLB (both ones). I used ClassWizard to generate a type library for the file, included it in my project and tried...

Import Budget into GP v.10 from Excel
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004F_01C99834.C340E060 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am having an issue and have followed the following but it still does = not work.=20 Error message when you try to import a budget in General Ledger in = Microsoft Dynamics GP: "The number of periods for the budget does not = match the number of columns in Excel" View products that this article applies to. -------------------------------------------------------------------------= -----...

Excel not recognizing date formats
I'm having a problem with a particular spreadsheet. Some of the cells have dates, typed in MM/DD/YY format, but Excel isn't recognizing it as a date. It won't change the date format (to MM/DD/YYYY) or sort these dates along with other "normal" date cells. I can't seem to figure out what's the problem with these particular cells. When I type a random number like 123 into the cell, it converts it to a date format, but I want it to recognize 1/23/06 as a date and it doesn't. Anyone have any idea of what's going on? It works fine for SOME cells in the ...

Excel Charts in Science & Tech.
Hi !! The Chart utility can be used to plot 3-dimensional representations of algebraic equations of the form z = f(x,y). The data points can be obtained in a 'table' on another worksheet. I have a few sample charts that may interest you. Regards Vijay ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you d...

Problems with Excel files
I had a Excel file that was worked on using a Office XP machine, and know it is back on my Mac. But know everytime I save I keep on getting this message using Office 98 for Mac. "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save this file using Microsoft excel 98, information created with features in the later version may be lost." I have tried the following. 1) Saving as a new file and renaming it 2) Saving as Excel 5.x, and then back to Excel 98 3) Deleting the Cell comments that I created in Excel XP, and redoing them in Excel 98 Thanks, J...

Suppressing zeros after the decimal point
How can I force zeros to display following a decimal point in Excel 2002? Whenever I type a number, such as 3.200, Excel drops the zeros and only enters 3.2 into the cell. Is there a setting that can be changed to fix this? (Using the "0.00" custom format seems to help, but if I have another number, such as 4.70, which only needs one zero to display, then I need another custom format for that one, and the next one, etc.) If anyone has a simpler suggestion, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Hi AFAIK you can't achieve this with a custom format. Either you have three decimals or...

automatically adjust row height in excel 2000
I have a paragraph of test in a merged, word-wrapped cell. When I double-click the row to auto adjust the height, it only show the first sentence. My question is, is there a way to get the row height to either automatically adjust as I type text; or is there a way to fix the double-click feature to adjust with the text? Right click on the cell, go to Format Cells, select the Alignment tab, and ensure Wrap Text is checked. It is checked. I figured out what was a matter as I read through some of the other questions and posts. The cell I had all the info in was a merged cell and I re...

clicker that advances one number per click in a cell
Hi, I'm new to the newsgroup. I hope that someone can help me with a small challenge. After reading the through the help sections, I just can't figure it out. How can I add a "clicker", where every time that I click on a button on a sheet, a cell advances 1 number? My gut feeling is that this is not a simple usage of a formula, but, then maybe there is one? Please help. Thanks for your help. Rayco See reply in .Misc Biff "Rayco" <raycotf@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bc16d$42f59851$d85678fd$6680@PRIMUS.CA... > Hi, > > I'm new to...

Double email
Keep getting duplicate email? No where to find out how to change that, nothing in options or custom. Nothing in your post to help anyone try to help you. Version of Outlook? Type of account? How many? Did this always happen? When did it start? What did you change just before it started happening? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Barbra <b.kostka@att.net> asked: | Keep getting duplicate email? No where to find out how to | change that, nothing in options or cu...

VBS writing to excel file
Im using a vbs script to write data to a excell file but keep getting the fillowing error.Unknown error Code 800A03EC. I know the script will work as it has workeb before when small amounts of data are added to a xls file. Are their any limitations to how much data can be added to a cell? Thanks carmen The error is in this section of code. Do While status = 1 row = row+1 for column = 2 to numcolumns excelcolumn=column - 1 ExcelSheet.Application.Cells(row, excelcolumn).Value = oResultSet.GetColumnValue(column) --This line has the error next status = oResultSet.MoveNext numr...

all the cells in excell put 2 decimal points in all numbers no ma.
i have to put 5 diget numbers in excel i format the cell to general and i get a number with 2 decimal points for me to enter 68555 i have to enter it as 68555.00 to get it to due away with the decimal point i reinstalled excel 2ooo but i can't seam to get it to go back to what it use to be. this problem justed popped up . never did this before Sounds like you need to turn off fixed decimals, if I understand your problem. Use Tools/Options/Edit and deselect Fixed Decimals. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "carroll616" <carroll616@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E...

Visio Hyperlinks
Hi - currently using Visio and would like to save the workflow as a template for others to 'save as' and execute - need to know if the hyperlinks will work within the template and also whether or the current hyperlinks require a 'right click' to execute???? Would like to execute using double click feature? Any advice would be GREAT!! Thanks..../d If you have a Hyperlink on a Shape, then change the formula in the EventDblClick cell in the spreadsheet to =HYPERLINK(Hyperlink.Row_1.Address) "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E...

data export to excel
Is there anyway to efficiently export hours from the calendar columns in the resource usage view directly to an excel spreadsheet. It appears these columns can't be mapped and cut and paste is way too slow. In article <1DA41D75-6005-49F2-B270-F0807E978295@microsoft.com>, Irene <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there anyway to efficiently export hours from the calendar columns in the > resource usage view directly to an excel spreadsheet. It appears these > columns can't be mapped and cut and paste is way too slow. Irene, Well, the m...

Error - Visual Basic
When I open Excel, I get a standard error box with the heading "Microsoft Visual Basic", and the message "File not found". If I click OK, Excel Loads as normal, and when I have opened a file, my macros work correctly. The Help info supplied refers more to data files, and gives no clue. look here http://tinyurl.com/ex7w3 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Brian E." <brian[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message news:D513A9E3-9C98-4B24-95D8-81C4006EC311@microsoft.com... > When I open Excel, I get a standard ...

Creating a Line Chart with double Y Axis
Would be possible to create a Line Chart with double Y Axis on th Chart? The X axis is date and Y axis will be the value. Thannks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select a series that you want on the secondary axis Choose Format>Selected Data Series On the Axis tab, select Secondary Click OK parker_yuan < wrote: > Would be possible to create a Line Chart with double Y Axis on the > Chart? The X axis is date and Y axis will be the value. Thannks. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Creating .asp or .aspx file in Exchange
Hi, I want to create a .asp file or .aspx file in the exchange folder. It is allowing me to create all other extentions except .asp / .aspx file. While creating the .asp/.aspx file it gives me error saying "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden". Please help. Thanks in Advance. Vishwanath K. Karkera Which Exchange build? I assume 2000 or 2003 since in 5.5 the exchange folder is a physical folder (C:\exchsrvr\webdata) on the box. If so your trying to create files on the M drive - ie the database. I wouldn't do this... It isn't meant to be a file syste...

printing invoices to pdf files
I want to print invoices to pdf files using Access. The data will come from my SQL tables that are part of my business software. I want to make pdf files out of the invoices so I can email them to customers as they are requesting. What I want to do is print the invoices as usual in the business software and then have Access 'print' them to individual pdf files (by invoice number). I was thinking I could have a do while or something like that in code to do that. Can someone point me in the right direction? I can do the report layout and have made pdf files before using ConvertRepo...

Excel 97 renames file 1 character only
Hi, I'm running Excel 97 SR-2 on XP. When I do a 'save as' Excel will only save the first character of the filename. I select 'save as', enter a filename, when I click Save the filename gets truncated to only the first character. It actually does this on a new workbook too. Select New, select Save, enter a name, click Save and the name gets truncated to the first character only. TIA, Monte Odd problem. Does it occur if you start Excel in Safe Mode? (From Start->Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (without quotes, there is a space before the slash)). -- Jim ...

Opening Excel to a particular worksheet
Hello, I have created a spreadsheet for a number of users to access. I would like the spreadsheet to open on a particular worksheet every time no matter where it is saved. The Worksheet that I would like to have as the default page acts as a coversheet and has hyperlinks to other input & savings worksheets. Can someone please tell me how to open my spreadsheet up at the 1 default worksheet every time. Is it a macro or is it the way the shortcut is written? If it is one of the above, how can I accomplish my goal? Hi Aaron! Try: In the VBA editor double click on 'ThisWorkboo...

Imort Excel File
I want to import 12000 rows of products with prices into rms. I have used the QSIimport utility in the past for fewer products. The problem I have is the description for the products has characters more than 28 which truncates the description. I would like for part of the description to be moved to extended description. Apologies if this is an excel question rather than RMS. I am just trying to import products with their entire description into RMS. Previously I had to manually move the description into extended description, but I can't spend 2 days doing that for 12000 products. A...