cannot delete or rename file on desktop

i have a file on my desktop named con.stock030801.xls.  i
cannot rename or delete this file.  the message that pops
up says that the file should be renamed but it wont let
me.  any suggestions?

The problem is that "con." (con - dot - anything) is a Windows reserved name
("con" is short for "console" (the screen) and is used with command prompt
commands).  I don't know how it was created but generally it's not possible.
For instance I cannot rename a file to your file's name, nor save a new one
with that name in Excel.  So this is not an Excel problem per se but a
Windows problem.

Since I cannot recreate the problem I cannot play with possible solutions.
It may be possible to do something from the command line, like "Del
*.stock030801.xls" when the Desktop folder is active, but that's just a
guess.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
1/6/2004 3:45:22 PM
In some version of DOS, everything after the asterisk would be ignored.

Maybe something like:

del ???.stock*.xls

or the OP could try to rename it first
ren  ???.stock*.xls   deleteme.xls

and then delete that renamed file.

(win98 let me create and delete a file with that name).

One more option, shell to DOS and do a DIR against that folder.

In win98, I can see the both the longfilename and the shortfilename (8.3).

Maybe the OP can delete the file using the 8.3 filename.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

If it returns just the file you want to delete, then ok.  But if it returns a
bunch of files, don't run the DEL command.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Cannot delete subreport

Files not visible in Windows Explorer
Hi folks, My colleague is using Publisher 2000 and while she can find all the Publisher files she created with P2000 when she goes to 'File>Open' from Publisher, most of these files cannot be found within the same directory in Windows Explorer. Can someone explain what is happening that the files go missing in the WE environment? She is using Windows NT (2000?), Publisher 2000, and an IBM Thinkpad A series. Thanks. Saved files will go into a designated folder you assigned in tools, options. Publisher doesn't arbitrarily place files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://offic...

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

editing RWZ files
Does anyone know if it is possible to directly edit RWZ files in OL2K? In particular, I would like to add a series of banned subject lines to my "Junk Subjects" rule without having to add each one individually. Nope, not possible. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Coby King" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a1a01c49d50$8f6f3130$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if it is possible to dire...

How to force the compiler to always re-compile a given source file?
Hi, I realise that this is not a MFC related question but this groups is the one that I most often read (and like) so here it is... Is there a way to force VS2005 compiler to always re-compile a given C++ file regardless of if it has changed or not since the last compile? That is, I'd like the file to be compiled everytime I run the build/rebuild. I could, I guess, delete the associated obj file after each build (e.g. using post build event) but this would trigger build every time I try to run/debug the app from within IDE. I know that I'm trying to break basic rules of nmake...

Rule for Deleted Items

File History Limitation
Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Bill Tools/Options/General, enter "9" in the Recently used file list inputbox. In article <4628d984$0$1418$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Bill Haskell" <bhask@roadrunner.com> wrote: > Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can > I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Tools|Options|General tab change the Recently used file list number to 9. Bill Haskell wrote:...

Not quite there with file sharing
I'm able to see and change my calendar and contact files in my shared docs folder from both my laptop and desktop, using the info in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;294759 However, I can't seem to save a local copy on my laptop. When the desktop, which is where the shared docs folder is located, is turned off, I lose all access to my calendar and contacts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. ...

password protected backup files
After installing Windows XPs sp2, my Microsoft Money became corrupted. I uninstalled then reinstalled it. The problem now is that when I try to restore a backup, it keeps asking for a password. I have never password protected it. How can I restore my backup without having to start from scratch? Thank you for your help. maritimegal In microsoft.public.money, maritimegal wrote: >After installing Windows XPs sp2, my Microsoft Money >became corrupted. I uninstalled then reinstalled it. The >problem now is that when I try to restore a backup, it >keeps asking for a password....

2006 backup file to money essentials
I just download micro money essentials to my new computer, i tried to use my back up file from my money 2006 on my laptop, it is not working it says it does not use files from previous versions. help In microsoft.public.money, dennisddjj wrote: >I just download micro money essentials to my new computer, i tried to use my >back up file from my money 2006 on my laptop, it is not working it says it >does not use files from previous versions. help If you did not start with the trial, return Essentials. Install the Money Plus Deluxe trial expecting to buy 60 days later. ...

File conversion #2
I have been using Excel for Mac. I have now reverted to Windows and although I'm able to work and save the file I'm prompted with a 'File conversion in Progress'. How can I stop this message and still use the file? TIA - Dave "Dasco" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:6dotv5F3m1sbU1@mid.individual.net... >I have been using Excel for Mac. I have now reverted to Windows and >although I'm able to work and save the file I'm prompted with a 'File >conversion in Progress'. How can I stop this message and still use the ...

auto filing in public folder
Hi all exchange professionals, I'm using exchange 2003 + outlook 2003. I have created a public folder such as "Outgoing mail" to store all outgoing email. I want to know whether there is method in exchange or third party software can create rules that it can auto filing those email. I mean it can scan the outgoing email address e.g. abc@xyz.com. then automically create a folder under "Outgoing mail" named "xyz.com" and move the mail to that folder. Next time, when there is mail to xyz.com, it will move it to "xyz.com" folder automically. If i...

Delete macros

Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline()
Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline() I use fstream, open() and getline() to take a whole line from the text file. I would like to know how I can set the value of the file pointer to the beginning of the file without closing (with close() ) to start using getline() again. I need to do it many times and I think that making that without closing and reopening file thousands times will save much time. Could you advise me. Alur fseek(fileptr,0,SEEK_SET); AliR. "Alur" <Alur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD7B7AFF-6057-4C37-955A-CADA73781B3...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

opening multiple files #4
Excel will not open multiple files. You need to describe the scenario as Excel ordinarily will open multiple files. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

How do I unrestrict access to files Information Rights Mgmnt?
Yesterday I was working on an excel spreadsheet and could not do "print preview" without being questioned about Information rights Management in MS Office 2003. I could not get past this so I went ahead and set up a couple email addresses of people who could access this file. Now the software will not properly authorize my opening this file as it cannot verify my email address. I do not know how to unrestrict the file so that I can continue working on it. ...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email