Can you get Excel to start with no automatic new document?

Hi!

I can add a "/n" switch to the target in my Word 2000 shortcut to get
Word to start without automatically creating a new document. But the
same thing doesn't work in Excel. Is there a different switch for
Excel, or some other way to get Excel to start without having it
automatically create a new document?

Thanks,
Lori

Check XL help for 'Customize how Excel starts' specifically the 'Use
startup switches when you start Excel' section.

I believe you are looking for the very first start up option 'Prevent
display of the Excel startup screen and a new blank workbook' /e or
/embedded  However, I don't know if that switch has any other side
effects.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1515f675.0405090449.653e731@posting.google.com>,
lori_hokkanen@yahoo.com says...
> Hi!
>
> I can add a "/n" switch to the target in my Word 2000 shortcut to get
> Word to start without automatically creating a new document. But the
> same thing doesn't work in Excel. Is there a different switch for
> Excel, or some other way to get Excel to start without having it
> automatically create a new document?
>
> Thanks,
> Lori

Try /e

You can find this stuff in Excel's help.  Look for "startup switches"

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Lori" <lori_hokkanen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I can add a "/n" switch to the target in my Word 2000 shortcut to get
> Word to start without automatically creating a new document. But the
> same thing doesn't work in Excel. Is there a different switch for
> Excel, or some other way to get Excel to start without having it
> automatically create a new document?
>
> Thanks,
> Lori

0
jmay (696)
5/9/2004 2:19:40 PM
Indeed! Sorry for bugging y'all with a Q so easily answered in the
help. The /e switch works perfectly, and it was easy to find in the
help as well.

Thanks so much,
Lori

Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message news:<409E2B48.A3A4E6B1@msn.com>...

> Try /e
>
> You can find this stuff in Excel's help.  Look for "startup switches"
>
> Lori wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I can add a "/n" switch to the target in my Word 2000 shortcut to get
> > Word to start without automatically creating a new document. But the
> > same thing doesn't work in Excel. Is there a different switch for
> > Excel, or some other way to get Excel to start without having it
> > automatically create a new document?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lori

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.