Can't "Save As" a new filename

Hi.  I'm using MSOffice97 on a WindowsXP computer.
I can't create a new workbook by using the File/SaveAs
menu command.  When I try, the error message says
[paraphrased]: idmxl8.xla could not be found.  Check the
spelling & the path, etc.

True -- Explorer can't find that file name either on this
computer or on the old one, where "SaveAs" still works.
I've tried uninstalling and re-installing both Excel and
all of Office several times, to no avail.

After using Excel for so many years, I use it for
practically everything, and the only work-around I've
come up with is pretty clunky:
  Unless I am willing to overwrite whatever file I
opened, I have to use Explorer to duplicate an existing
workbook, change its name, then do my work in the
[former] duplicate.

Help, please?

Kay

Kay

*.XLA indicates an Add-in type file.

For starters....I would be tempted to go into Tools>Add-ins and look for
something that resembles idmxl8 and uncheck it.

You may have to uncheck all to find the one that is the culprit.  When/if you
hit it, you will be given an error message that "****.xla cannot be found.  Do
you wish to delete reference?"  Click Yes.

If the above turns up nothing, look in your Office\XLSTART folder for any file
that may be loading.

Also Tools>Options>General.  Delete any path in "Alternate startup file
location".

Gord Dibben  Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:32:31 -0700, "Kay" <kbooklover@email.com> wrote:

>Hi.  I'm using MSOffice97 on a WindowsXP computer.
>I can't create a new workbook by using the File/SaveAs
>menu command.  When I try, the error message says
>[paraphrased]: idmxl8.xla could not be found.  Check the
>spelling & the path, etc.
>
>True -- Explorer can't find that file name either on this
>computer or on the old one, where "SaveAs" still works.
>I've tried uninstalling and re-installing both Excel and
>all of Office several times, to no avail.
>
>After using Excel for so many years, I use it for
>practically everything, and the only work-around I've
>come up with is pretty clunky:
>  Unless I am willing to overwrite whatever file I
>opened, I have to use Explorer to duplicate an existing
>workbook, change its name, then do my work in the
>[former] duplicate.
>

>Help, please?
>
>Kay

0
gdibben (257)

Save and save as

Save As versus Save
I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers. They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with their information. How do I force them to use the "Save As" command versus the "Save"? "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4C8BDF0-17D1-4341-AD36-FF5CC9C7B36C@microsoft.com... > I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers. > They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with > their > information. How do I force ...

Save AS Web Page
Outlook 2003 Pro Windows XP Pro I can save the calendar as a web page, I would like to know if it's possible to do this automatically? i.e. when shutting down Outlook I have a small network with a intranet web site and want to publish the calendar to the web site, I can do this successfully with excel and hope it can be done with Outlook Thanks :o) Not natively - you probably can using some programming set to run on shutdown. Post in one of the programming groups for Outlook and you have a better chance of getting an authoritative answer. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Save As window opens in full window mode
For years and up to 3-4 days ago, whenever I saved an e-mail to a particular folder on my hard drive using the "Save as" feature, I always was given a small window with the usual Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons and the ability to re-size the window if necessary. Suddenly, this has changed and each time I attempt the "Save as" feature, the window opens into a full window (the whole 23" screen) with only the "Close" button displayed. These are mostly billings and invoices I save and I need to view the original e-mail for some of the descrip...

"Save as" should save mail contents
Hello, I moved from Outlook 2000 to 2003. When I select one E-Mail and use "Save as" to save it (as text), the file also contains the E-Mail contents. That's fine. When I select more than one E-Mail and choose "Save as", the saved file only contains the Mail Headers, but not the Mail contents. In OL 2000, all the mail contents were saved in that file. What can I do to have the e-mail contents in the file ? Thanks joe Do you have the latest updates installed? Are you using an exchange mailbox or a pst? if a pst, was it the pst you used with outlook 2000? -- Dia...

Save and Save As disabled in Advance Find
Hi All, We just upgraded from crm1.2 to 3.0. We are using the Outlook light client. One issue that we found is that the Advance Find screen can create criteria, but does not allow the users to save it. The buttons 'Save' and 'Save As' are gray out. We fill all the fields, properties and what not. and the users remain with those buttons gray out. Any ideas? Jorge Varas Solved. It is the Security role setting 'Saved view' <sarcasm>It was soooo intuitive!!! </sarcasm? "Jorge Varas" <jvaras@icon-intl.com> wrote in message news:uthpplJ...

save as copy option
2 desktops both imaged with the same .gho file; 1 has "save as copy" option under File, the other doesn't. This is when opening the same document from the same source. there is "save" "save as", and "save as copy". I am not familiar with the difference between save as and save as copy, especially on identical installations. any help is appreciated! ...

Word forces Save As when Saving
I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007 suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right name. This seems to happen when I've been working in the sam...

'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an EXCEL file
How to resolve the error 'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an EXCEL file? Judy Could be lots of things... You may want to temporarily turn off your antivirus program to see if that's the problem. Maybe it's a network permission problem (see your IT folks). Do you have any more specifics? Judy Chuang wrote: > > How to resolve the error 'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an > EXCEL file? > > Judy -- Dave Peterson ...

Cannot do a Save or Save As of Publisher File
We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space on our network. We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere. I have seen the previous posts regardin NAV and that was done without success. I have also verified that the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it. The boxes are all greyed out. What am I missing here? Thanks, -- J M. Grant Any chance that you are using a trial version of Publisher...

Excel 2002 crashing during "Save As" action.
I am having a problem when using "Save As" on a particular workbook I have developed. The workbook contains three separate sheets each containing a number of macros. Each time I "save as" I get the standard "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem message". Interestingly I do not have a problem when I perform a standard "save" on the workbook, only when I try and change it's name using "save as". One way I have found to work around this is to select the "Manual" option for Calculations on the Tools/Options menu. Lead...

calling up Save / Save As from a userform
Is there code to allow one to call up the Save/SaveAs dialog boxes using command buttons on a userform? Thanks in advance, Roger Hi Roger Use this for bringing up the Saveas dialog box. Attach it to your code for a commmand button. Take care Marcus Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show Roger, The GetSaveAsFilename method should do the trick. You can embed the code in the command button click event. The help documentation on GetSaveAsFilename is good, so search the help from VBE for GetSaveAsFilename. A side note to GetSaveAsFilename is that the method...

Use Save As or Save Query?
I've got an Access Database table with several thousand entries. I applied a filter to get me a sub-set of entries that I want to export into Excel. When I click Save As, it pops up with a box that's totally unfamilar to me. What I think I need to do is save the new table I created with the filter as a different name than the table I started from so I don't accidentally wipe out previous information. But I'm clueless on how to do this. Help! Thanks! On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:00:02 -0700, Historian <Historian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've got an Acce...

why does the "file save as" window not open?
why does the "file save as" window not open? Why should it? You'll have to explain what you're trying to do, the steps you took, what you expected to happen and what didn't happen, and your version of Word (and Windows). On Jun 3, 11:43=A0am, cglegggs <cgleg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > why does the "file save as" window not open? ...

No Save As?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I do not see a save as in my menu. there is a save as web page. Where is the save as? thanks! Right above Save As Web Page unless you have mangled your menu :-) Use Tools>Customise>Toolbars and Menus to RESET your File menu. Cheers On 5/05/10 3:42 AM, in article 59bb7eb5.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "kevs14@officeformac.com" <kevs14@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > I do not see a save as in my m...

Cannot save or "save as" any document
My Word 2003 can open existing Word documents, but it will not save any document, or do a "save as" for any document. This problem occurs for documents in either local or network folders. No error message is displayed -- in fact, nothing happens. This happens whether I open an existing document or do a new/blank document. I can create a document in Word Pad and save it. I can then open that same document in Word, but I cannot save it. If it were a permissions problem, I would expect an error message. Clearly it is not a permissions problem for the files I try...

save as
In the new Word 2007, I can't find an option to "save as" I want to save the same document as two different things, and I can't find the "save as" button. Help! Is your Office Button (the "orb" in the top left corner) still blinking because you haven't yet discovered it? Click on it to display a menu; that's where you'll find Save As; -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Tracy" <Tracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:952C9EFC...

Can't "Save As" a new filename
Hi. I'm using MSOffice97 on a WindowsXP computer. I can't create a new workbook by using the File/SaveAs menu command. When I try, the error message says [paraphrased]: idmxl8.xla could not be found. Check the spelling & the path, etc. True -- Explorer can't find that file name either on this computer or on the old one, where "SaveAs" still works. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing both Excel and all of Office several times, to no avail. After using Excel for so many years, I use it for practically everything, and the only work-around I've ...

Need help - Save as
In new Outlook 2003, when I highlight several e-mail in my Inbox & select File, Save As, it only saves the Headers of the e-mails & not the headers & the body - in my old Outlook 2000 it saved both - can any one tell me how to correct this? I have a program that read the Saved As file & processes the data in the e-mails & I can't find where to change any option to fix this... though I have read & read & read... thxs much !!! What format are the messages and are you using the old Ol97/2002 pst format or the new Unicode format? We're seeing issues ...

When selecting save as load up certain folder depending upon outlook folder
Hello, When i receive an email i place it in a certain folder within the inbox for example if it is from company A then it gets placed in the Company A folder. The majority of the time i recieve attachments to these emails. Is it possible when i go to "save as" to default to a directory based upon the folder that the email is in. For example if i was to move an email that had an attachment to the Company A folder in the inbox and i wanted to save the document i would want the save as dialog to default in this instance to Mydocuments\Company A\ Cheers ( i have posted this to both p...

Save As dialogue box
Is it possible to add new folder icons on the left-hand-side of the Save As dialogue box in Excel 2003 ? Eg, if you've a few regularly-used folders. I found a 'Remove' button, but no 'Add'. Thanks, Aldo. Hi Long ago, MS released an add-in called places.com (I think). When you run this it gives you the option of setting your own folders, and also making the icons smaller so you could get 10 folders in there! I don't know if this will work on your version, though. Read this, though: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/...

2003 Save as Template
Hello all, I have 2003 and am saving templates. I have created a blank publication and added a logo and some colour to the Master Page. I then moved to the Foreground and added some empty text boxes and picture holders. These were definately on the foreground. I then Saved As a Template into the default folder. When I open the template it tells me that all the placeholders are on the Master page. I have repeated this process a few times all with the same effect. On another PC it works perfectly. Is this a known issue? or do I need a service pack??? Any help will be gratefully appre...

Save as .htm with filename from cell
I have a macro to save a sheet as an htm file. I can specify a name for the file. Is there a way to use the contents of a cell for the file name? Thanks for any and all help. As long as the values in the cell do not contain forbidden characters, you could simply reference the cell when saving the file using range("cell_containing_name").value -- http://HelpExcel.com 1-888-INGENIO 1-888-464-3646 x0197758 "agentcooter@pobox.com" wrote: > I have a macro to save a sheet as an htm file. I can specify a name > for the file. Is there a way to use the contents o...

Save As Web Page option not there!
Hello, I am wondering why the help file in Publisher 2002 says "to save a file as a web page Click File, Save As Web Page" on the the menu toolbar. For some reason this option does not appear, nor does it appear in the Tools, Customize, Commands Tab. If this is the case and my program is working right, then how is this simple task achieved? Look further at the menu FILE and you will find the options there you need. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Dan Whitten <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am wondering why the he...

Help descriptions in Save, Save As windows
In Office 2004, I've noticed that the Save and Save As dialog windows=20 contain toward the bottom a box with help descriptions that change as = you=20 mouse over various options. Office X had this feature only in the = preferences=20 window. Is there any way to turn this feature off in Office 2004? In article <0dd001c46e9c$27f18630$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "B McNeill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Office 2004, I've noticed that the Save and Save As dialog windows > contain toward the bottom a box with help descriptions that change as you ...