can't highlight cell - highlights only cell's row and column

When I click on a cell, the contents of the cell are not highlighted.
Instead the cell's row and column are highlighted.  I can't work with the
cell or it's formula itself.  Help!
0
MM (12)

Tools>Options, Edit tab, check Edit directly in cell

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"MM" <MM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on a cell, the contents of the cell are not highlighted.
> Instead the cell's row and column are highlighted.  I can't work with the
> cell or it's formula itself.  Help!

0
nicolaus (2022)

Can't insert columns into my access db
I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be able to insert a 6th column. i can do it on the front end but it doesn't save to the db? You must change table design in the back end. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". "Rob" wrote: > I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be > able to insert a 6th column. i can do it on the front end but it doesn't > save to the db? Access is not like a spreadsheet where you can insert c...

Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel
I have several spreadsheets with between 2,000 and 3,000 rows of data. I'm using them to import data into some accounting software. The format required by the software is that each row of data is separated by a blank row. Short of individually inserting several thousand rows, does anyone know another way of changing the layout of the spreadsheet? Well, you could add a helper column and enter 1, 3, 5, and copy down to the bottom of what you've got. You could then put 2,4,6,8 ... in blank rows until you have the max # of what you need. Then sort by the helper column. Make su...

Writing Localized Strings In Cells Using Automation
Hola People, I have written a VB6 application that populates cells in an excel document with text. The user of the VB6 application selects which language the text should be in. I have created a satellite DLL for each language. Initially, when I would run the VB6 application, the text was always in english, regardless of the language selected. Then I started using the Win32 function "WideCharToMultiByte" to use a different codepage. Now the text is always written in traditional chinese, regardless of which language / Codepage the user selects. I would like to know if anyone has an...

Cell context menu in XL2007
As I understand from various postings in this forum, we can not create any custom toolbars or icons in xl2007. But Is it possible to add custom icon to run a macro in cell context menu (cell right click menu) by a add-in in VB6? If yes pl point me to a sample code if available. I am trying to make com addin in vb6 with help of example on Chip's site and need to provide a button in rightclick menu to users for accessing the code. Regards, Madiya See this page for example code http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/right-click.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Ma...

how do i use arrow keys to move from cell to cell
how do i use the arrow keys to move from cell to cell in XL2003....my arrow keys only move my scroll bars kiki You might try touching your scroll lock key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "kikikranx" <kikikranx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D693A58E-9164-45C8-B047-9211115D3A16@microsoft.com... > how do i use the arrow keys to move from cell to cell in XL2003....my arrow > keys only move my scroll bars > > kiki kiki Tap your ScrLk(scroll lock) key to toggle out of this mode. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:47...

Advanced filter result showing blank columns
Hi, The data list on which I applied advanced filter had some empty cells here and there. The generated advanced filter listbased on criteria range had some columns which were totally blank. What went wrong? Any help. I am using excel 2007. TIA My criteria range was not correct. My mistake. Sorry for inconvenience. Extremly sorry for posting question. "shabutt" wrote: > Hi, > > The data list on which I applied advanced filter had some empty cells here > and there. The generated advanced filter listbased on criteria range had some > columns which were totall...

Same Balance in left column since OCT.
My Downloaded balance in Left column never changes. I have never had this problem before and have used money for 5 years now. I download eveyday and still it goes unchanged since Oct.12. Any help Cal? That figure usually comes down from the bank in question. Perhaps they're not providing it in their downloads any more. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@micro...

how to move cells from down to across
Morning- How can I move cells that are likethis: Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Row 1 Blue 7 1020 Row 2 Red 8 512 Row 3 Pink 11 718 Row 4 Blue 15 1122 Into: Col 1 Col 2 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4 Row 1 7 8 11 15 Row 2 Blue 1020 1122 Row 3 Red 512 Row 4 Pink 718 I hope this is clear enough for you. I'm at a loss. Many Thanks! Sarah Is that data really numeric? If yes, you could add a header row to your data. Color Value1 ...

Challenging problem! Recording the time in an adjacent cell when text is entered
Does anyone have a way of using excel as follows: if I enter text in say cell A1 how can I ask excel to record the exact time I entered that text (in minutes and seconds) in say cell B1 I assume you can use the clock on your computer or maybe a stopwatch VBA plug in that counts time up or down in excel?? The reason for this is I'm wanting to use excel, run on my laptop, to record when various events happen on the basketball court such as an intercept, basket in the circle, basket outside the circle etc. Cheers, Snowy Australia. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ M...

"too many different cell formats"
When trying to open a file, the above erroe message is displayed and the file will not open. Is it at all possible to open the file or is it "lost forever"? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Hi Cindy, You can search Google Groups on your error message http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Search all words: "Too Many Different Cell Formats" author: Leo Heuser Since the answers you are looking for have been posted by Leo Heuser I included his name as author for your search as well as shown above to see if the...

Using the same cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel If i have values in a column and want to copy those values over and over again how do I do it? Say that cell e6 has a value of cell e2 (it actually has "e2" in the cell) and the value in cell e2 is $100. I wish to copy the value of e6 to columns f thru z, but want the value copied to be e6 (otherwise they would change to f6, g6, etc). That way if I change the value of e2, every cell with e6 in it will change too. It seems to me that I used to enclose the value in quotes or parenthesis and that would copy over ...

How to lock "hidden" Columns for good
Post Preview: Hi Friends I have been using Exel for a long time. I use exel heavily from time t time and this is one of those times. I am not an expert but I kno exel, the common stuff, pretty good I think. There is something tha always drives me crazy! in fact, I just finished talking to one of ou Exel help desk people and could not find an obvious solution to m problem that is why I coming to you. My problem is this: how do I LOCK the hidden columns from a particula sheet, so that when I need to Format/Row or Column/Autofit, the stupi "hidden" columns won't pop up back on t...

Select column with highest value
Hi, How do I get the desired result for the following sample Table1 data: Source Table: Table1 Columns: Mukey State L11 L12 L21 L22 m657753 AL 8.00 0.00 5.00 1.00 m657753 TN 0.00 1.00 3.00 0.00 m657754 AL 1.00 6.00 2.00 27.00 M657754 TN 0.00 4.00 1.00 5.00 Desired result: Target Table: Table2 Columns: Mukey State LandUse ...

Protect Cells #3
Is there a way to protect / unprotect multiple sheets at the same time. If not, any suggestions about the next best thing. Appreciate the help. Jon JT, you can with a macro, like this Sub protect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Protect Next ws End Sub Sub unprotect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Unprotect Next ws End Sub Or with password Sub protect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Protect password:="123" Next ws End Sub Sub unprotect_sheets() Dim w...

Unlock based on cell colour
Hi I have a spreadsheet with input cells coloured blue. I need a macro to unlock all blue cells. I know I need to use Colorindex but I can't work out how to put it all together. Many thanks Something like this. With Sheets("Sheet1") ..Unprotect For Each c In .Range("A2:F100") If c.ColorIndex = 5 Then c.Locked = False End If Next ..Protect End With "violasrbest" <violasrbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDBE053D-66C2-46C7-B66C-85EEE3FF0918@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I have a ...

DGET only limited to 1000 Rows, but I need 8000 rows for DGET funt
my 2007 Office Home Basic, can only do 1000 rows of DGET function, after that it return to #VALUE!, can someone help me. Is anything to do with because of HOME BASIC vision have its limited ability, or something else I need to do, in order to get at least 6000 rows to function right. I am a very heavy to user of Excel , I need all 65,000 rows, and every one of function should work in all 65,000 rows, no exception. Try to use VLOOKUP or INDEX and MATCH functions instead of DGET. "Chiann Looker" wrote: > my 2007 Office Home Basic, can only do 1000 rows of D...

sum based on content of other cells
Cells A7:A49 have pull downs with 20 categories to pick from. Cells H7:H49 has the value in hours spent on that category. I would like to get the sum of hours based on each category, and put this value in another cell. Can someone please help me with this ? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You want to use the Sumif function. >-----Original Message----- >Cells A7:A49 have pull downs with 20 categories to pick from. >Cells H7:H49 has th...

??send a picture to a cell phone
How can i send a picture from windows publisher to a cell phone? I have windows xp. The friend i want to send pic to is on my buddy list on yahoo and I can send a sms message but not sure if or how to include a picture. I also have cell phone . PLEASE HELP!!!! You may not be able to. And even if you could send a picture, there's no guarantee that your friend's phone can receive them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "beeotch1" <beeotch1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Row data missing from printed report
I'm printing a tabular report from Access 2003 in portrait on A3. On a row about half way down, it prints the grid lines and some of the fields, but misses other fields (all there on Print Preview or a Landscape print). Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Suggestions: Open the report in design view, and check the properties of the problem text box(es.) Make sure: - Display When is set to Always. - Back Color is white - Fore Color black (0) - Font Size is 8 or greater - Font Name is one you have installed. If you have vertical set to Yes, try the font Arial CYR (...

how do I split cells in Publisher 2003?
You can only split cells if the cells has been merged. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "CalendarGirl" <CalendarGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC01F718-FFAA-432D-8A1E-77FFE6B239E5@microsoft.com... > ...

Cells Changing Links
Hi, The links to web pages that I am putting in cells seem to stay in the original cell position even after sorting with my excel 2003. For instance, A1 may have a link to website #1, and A2 has a link to website #2, and A3 has a link to website #3. After re-sorting column A, A1 still contains the link to website #1, even though the data in A1 moved to A3. The data formerly in A1 is now in A3 and is linked to website #3 even though it was linked to website #1 before sorting. Does this make sense? It's as if the link will never leave its original position. Is this a problem or is this...

Hide column in contious form
I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab]. In datasheet view when I set the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the columns move left and remove blank space. Is there a way to do this on a continous form? I can set the visible property to false and it is removed, but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there. I am open to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and footer sections for filters and labels. Please advise. Ryan Tisse...

Adding an entire menu 'column' to a menu
Hello, I'be been programming MFC type applications for a while, but the following has come on and for the life of me, I can't remember how to do it. My MDI application has an established menu with the normal columns on it (File, Edit, Toolbars, help, ...) and a few other columns specialized to my application. I wish to dynamically add a column to this menu based on what transpires during application execution. Lets call the column "Design", with menu items Append and Prepend. The menu, before "adding a column" will look like File Edit Toolbars ...

select all non-blank cells
I need a macro to select and copy all non-blank cells in Sheet1, then paste these cells into sheet2 at Cell A1. thanks much! Try the below Sub Macro() Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") End Sub 'If you have any formulas that are to be converted to values then try this version Sub Macro() Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange = Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange.Value End Sub -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "johncaleb&...

merging cells
In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like the content of A2 inside the string contained in S2, something like: c:\\mypictures\\<contentofA2like121212here>.tif (obviously the <contentofA2like121212here> is A2) Any help guys? Lap sorry, i worked it out (not hard after all!) ="c:\\mypictures\\"&A2&".tif" "Lapchien" <ccarswell@nospameclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:108i8ikm534j898@news.supernews.com... > In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like >...